What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Montana Man Confronts Tucker Carlson - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

What's your opinion on what the man did to Carlson?

• I encourage it.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Don't encourage it, but ok with it.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • On the fence.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Not cool. But not awful.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • Awful. Should never do that.

Votes: 46 35.4%

• Total voters
This is true and one of the drawbacks to being a public figure.   It sucks but on the other side of the coin Carlson has made a lot of money and I am sure he has fans that love him.

That said I think the guy confronting him is being a jerk.  Carlson is not going to change because some yokel in a tackle shop is harassing him. 

I suppose he might get a kick out of telling Tucker off but in the end he came off looking worse than the guys he despises. :thumbdown:
He loves it.

This is true and one of the drawbacks to being a public figure.   It sucks but on the other side of the coin Carlson has made a lot of money and I am sure he has fans that love him.

That said I think the guy confronting him is being a jerk.  Carlson is not going to change because some yokel in a tackle shop is harassing him. 

I suppose he might get a kick out of telling Tucker off but in the end he came off looking worse than the guys he despises. :thumbdown:
Which is why I would never approach a public figure and wouldn't encourage it. But hey, if someone else wants to make a fool of themselves, this is a good way to do it. Didn't make a scene, no yelling, and based solely on the video he said his piece and that was the end of it.

I'm not sure I saw all of the video. It l

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same video as others. It looked pretty lighthearted to me. If you told me that next they went and had a few cold beers, I wouldn't be shocked. Definitely wouldn't be shocked if it was staged in some way.

The only thing of real interest in this story is that the dude's name is Dan Bailey and they were standing in a store called Dan Bailey's Outdoor Equipment (or some such) that he's completely unaffiliated with. Looks like the store got on top of it pretty quick, but that was some pretty bad luck for them. 
Dan Bailey is a pretty big name in the fly fishing industry......I just assumed it was THE Dan Bailey......that's too much of a coincidence....something is fishy with this

Joe Bryant said:
You've probably seen the video
Nope!  Not planning on it either.

This sounds like  "B Girl" stuff.  If that is the case I think that it is awful that people go that far for attention.  I think it is just as awful that so many fall for it.

I'll wait to vote until I can watch the video. 

Based on the writeup it sounded like the guy wasn't threatening or harassing. When people take on public roles they accept that reactions like this will occur, sometimes positive sometimes negative. It come with the job, especially when the job is to be intentionally devisive and/or inflammatory for TV ratings.

I do think the guy should have dropped it when Carlson asked him to stop. I'm leaning toward "Don't encourage it, but ok with it."

How often do we hear or read "I bet you'd never say that to my face!'  Well, here's a guy that said what he wanted to say right in Carlson's face.  He didn't hide behind an anonymous letter or fire off a mean tweet.  Casually told Carlson why he is a despicable person.  Carlson is lucky the man didn't object to him placing his hand on his chest.  He certainly didn't like Carlson calling him 'son'.  :lmao:

Still haven't voted.  Going to mull it over.

Wasn’t spontaneous. They guy planned it , had it filmed and posted on his Instagram 

I can’t imagine ever pulling a stunt like this
This.

Here's my biggest problem with it.  It's the ole "it's ok to punch nazi's hahaha" thing.  

You decide you don't like someone's stance.  And that they're a bad person.  And that because you have decided they're a bad person, it's ok to behave this way to them.  He even posts that he's a fascist.  Is Tucker a fascist?  

This sorts of social media posts normalize and make it ok to behave poorly towards people who deem to be nazi's or fascists.  And, in 2021--you can pretty much call anyone whatever you want because definitions have become very fluid, and thresholds have been lowered an awful lot.

He doesn't strike him.  He's kind of uncomfortably close to him and at some point Tucker puts his hand off the guy to seemingly nicely back him up.  I don't think we should behave this way towards each other.  I don't think we should do it in front of children.  

Those of you that are saying it's ok because "Tucker bad guy," if I decide you're a bad person--you're ok with me approaching you in front of your kids, getting up in your space and telling you you're a terrible human--in front of your child?  Of course you aren't.  But you don't like Tucker, so it's cool.  

This dude is a tool.  He recorded it and put it on his instragram with a bunch of hashtags.  There are murders and rapists and child molesters in the world.  You want to confront someone for being terrible?  Why not start there.  Because they're not famous and won't get as many likes on your instagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
This.

Here's my biggest problem with it.  It's the ole "it's ok to punch nazi's hahaha" thing.  

You decide you don't like someone's stance.  And that they're a bad person.  And that because you have decided they're a bad person, it's ok to behave this way to them.  He even posts that he's a fascist.  Is Tucker a fascist?  

This sorts of social media posts normalize and make it ok to behave poorly towards people who deem to be nazi's or fascists.  

He doesn't strike him.  He's kind of uncomfortably close to him and at some point Tucker puts his hand off the guy to seemingly nicely back him up.  I don't think we should behave this way towards each other.  I don't think we should do it in front of children.  

Those of you that are saying it's ok because "Tucker bad guy," if I decide you're a bad person--you're ok with me approaching you in front of your kids, getting up in your space and telling you you're a terrible human--in front of your child?  Of course you aren't.  But you don't like Tucker, so it's cool.  
Where do you stand on fans 'booooooooooooooooooooing' a player or ref?  

Does the player or ref have a family member in attendance? 

Is that family member a child?

Is that child a girl? 

Does that girl enjoy purchasing fishing equipment?

I need to know before I can decide if it's cool, or not cool.

If we're talking from the stands or from the comfort of my home:  I don't think there's a comparison.

If I see LeBron at Wal-Mart and walk up and stand right in front of him and tell him repeatedly he's the worst person alive in front of kids, then yeah I guess I can see the comparison.

I think it's a dangerous line of thinking.  Walking up to someone you don't know and getting into their personal space to tell them how awful they are is the same as sitting in the bleachers and booing?  

This.

This sorts of social media posts normalize and make it ok to behave poorly towards people who deem to be nazi's or fascists.  And, in 2021--you can pretty much call anyone whatever you want because definitions have become very fluid, and thresholds have been lowered an awful lot.

This dude is a tool.  He recorded it and put it on his instragram with a bunch of hashtags.  There are murders and rapists and child molesters in the world.  You want to confront someone for being terrible?  Why not start there.  Because they're not famous and won't get as many likes on your instagram.
Some thoughts, in no particular order:

• I think Tucker Carlson is a horrible person.
  • People shouldn't behave that way.
  • I would like to see whatever happened prior (and after, for that matter), as the recording starts mid-encounter.
  • "In front of children" isn't super relevant, IMO, as there wasn't any violence or really even raised voices.  Also, it seems like Carlson's children are actually adults?
  • Clearly, there was some pre-planning involved, as it was filmed.  I'm not sure we can say definitively what level of pre-planning occurred.  Was it "Ooh, look, there's Tucker Carlson.  Get your phone out while I tell him off." or was it "Tucker Carlson goes in there every Sunday/Tuesday/whatever, let's get him good."  I don't think that matters too much in terms of "appropriate behavior", but just because there was some level of pre-planning doesn't mean it wasn't also "spur of the moment" which can sometimes lead to poor decisions.
  • As you note above, "Tucker Carlson is a bad guy" isn't a good justification.  "Bad guy" is a matter of opinion.  I don't want some lunatic acting that way towards me just because they've decided I'm a bad guy.

If we're talking from the stands or from the comfort of my home:  I don't think there's a comparison.

If I see LeBron at Wal-Mart and walk up and stand right in front of him and tell him repeatedly he's the worst person alive in front of kids, then yeah I guess I can see the comparison.

I think it's a dangerous line of thinking.  Walking up to someone you don't know and getting into their personal space to tell them how awful they are is the same as sitting in the bleachers and booing?  
No, I don't think it is the same.  But would you have any problem if this man just walked over to Tucker and 'BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD' him?  That might be better shtick than this staged encounter.  Something like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3WWGCK4N0

Does the player or ref have a family member in attendance? 

Is that family member a child?

Is that child a girl? 

Does that girl enjoy purchasing fishing equipment?

I need to know before I can decide if it's cool, or not cool.
The player has family in attendance but you don't know where they sit.  The player has just committed some sort of Tucker Carlson level BS and like Carlson, deserves the booooooooooing for his voluntary actions.  The family member is of unknown gender, just like all the athletes competing in women's sports now thanks to Biden.  They prefer gardening to fishing.

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

• I think Tucker Carlson is a horrible person.
  • People shouldn't behave that way.
  • I would like to see whatever happened prior (and after, for that matter), as the recording starts mid-encounter.
  • "In front of children" isn't super relevant, IMO, as there wasn't any violence or really even raised voices.  Also, it seems like Carlson's children are actually adults?
  • Clearly, there was some pre-planning involved, as it was filmed.  I'm not sure we can say definitively what level of pre-planning occurred.  Was it "Ooh, look, there's Tucker Carlson.  Get your phone out while I tell him off." or was it "Tucker Carlson goes in there every Sunday/Tuesday/whatever, let's get him good."  I don't think that matters too much in terms of "appropriate behavior", but just because there was some level of pre-planning doesn't mean it wasn't also "spur of the moment" which can sometimes lead to poor decisions.
  • As you note above, "Tucker Carlson is a bad guy" isn't a good justification.  "Bad guy" is a matter of opinion.  I don't some lunatic acting that way towards me just because they've decided I'm a bad guy.
This is probably the most important point.  A lot of people feel it's so blatantly obvious how horrible Tucker is that it's above question.  And since they feel that way, it's ok to behave this way towards him.  

But what if someone decides you're a bad guy?  Surely there's someone out there we've all ticked off or rubbed the wrong way.  

No, I don't think it is the same.  But would you have any problem if this man just walked over to Tucker and 'BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD' him?  That might be better shtick than this staged encounter.  Something like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3WWGCK4N0
If he keeps his distance and boo's, no.  

If he invades his personal space like he did here and boo's him, then I still find that bad.  

I don't feel uncomfortable about the Youtube video you've posted because the heckler doesn't walk right up to him and invade his personal space.  

I don't think Tucker Carlson is above being told he sucks.  I don't think I am.  I don't think anyone is.  I think we should all be better than to invade each other's personal space and talk this way to each other.  I think that makes it a much more uncomfortable interaction.  

Honestly surprised this was in Montana.  Having spent some time there recently, it was very much a pro-Trump, anti-mask sort of state.  Feel like Carlson would have his own lake there.

If he keeps his distance and boo's, no.  

If he invades his personal space like he did here and boo's him, then I still find that bad.  

I don't feel uncomfortable about the Youtube video you've posted because the heckler doesn't walk right up to him and invade his personal space.  

I don't think Tucker Carlson is above being told he sucks.  I don't think I am.  I don't think anyone is.  I think we should all be better than to invade each other's personal space and talk this way to each other.  I think that makes it a much more uncomfortable interaction.  
Yeah, I'm kinda with you there.  That could have gotten physical in a hurry.  

Maybe this guy crossed a line but if so it’s only by a teeny bit.  I don’t think he ever appeared menacing or threatening at least in the parts we could see.  Is it just that we’re not allowed to say mean things to public figures?
We are allowed to - I just find it not cool. 

Maybe this guy crossed a line but if so it’s only by a teeny bit.  I don’t think he ever appeared menacing or threatening at least in the parts we could see.  Is it just that we’re not allowed to say mean things to public figures?
I thought the guy was uncomfortably close.  I would not someone who is telling me how awful I am that close to me.  I would in fact worry that they’re standing that closely because perhaps they are planning on striking or harming me.

Tucker puts his hand on the guys chest in what I took to be a “please back up out of my space” move.

If the guy was across the store, saying “Tucker you suck,” I mind it way less. 

The guy recorded it and put it on instagram with hashtags.  He wanted a show.  He made one.

Not cool, but if you constantly go out of your way to be provocative, you shouldn't be shocked if you occasionally provoke people.  People like Carlson count on having a cocoon around them so they never have to feel the effects of the things they say.  

Livingston is a town with a lot of transplants and is also basically a bedroom community for Bozeman, one of the more liberal areas of the state.  

I thought the guy was uncomfortably close.  I would not someone who is telling me how awful I am that close to me.  I would in fact worry that they’re standing that closely because perhaps they are planning on striking or harming me.

Tucker puts his hand on the guys chest in what I took to be a “please back up out of my space” move.

If the guy was across the store, saying “Tucker you suck,” I mind it way less. 

The guy recorded it and put it on instagram with hashtags.  He wanted a show.  He made one.
He should hold a press conference and apologize. 

"I am truly sorry. I saw Jesse Watters do this for years, and I thought it was completely acceptable. Was that incorrect?"

He should hold a press conference and apologize. 

"I am truly sorry. I saw Jesse Watters do this for years, and I thought it was completely acceptable. Was that incorrect?"
This has become the old standby.

You guys talk about how vile, Evil, immoral Republicans are.  And then when a liberal does something bad, you guys are quick to say "Well they're just acting like Republicans!!!"

It's amazing to me that you're ok with the behavior and justify it because the bad, evil, immoral Republicans did it first.

It's a neat party trick.  You call someone an evil pig for playing in the mud, waller in the mud, and say well I just learned from the pig LOL  AM I RITE?!

Honestly surprised this was in Montana.  Having spent some time there recently, it was very much a pro-Trump, anti-mask sort of state.  Feel like Carlson would have his own lake there.
I bet that’s what Tucker thought also
Are we sure that this guy isn't a Tucker fan?  Are we sure that Tucker wasn't part of the planning?   

These are probably taking the "staged" aspect too far (especially since I haven't bothered to watch the video), but from all of the descriptions I've read this has almost nothing to do with the persons thoughts on Tucker but everything to do with what to say to go "viral".   To get my 15 minutes of face.  To get everyone to turn into Tucker's show to see what all of this is about.   Oh, there I go too far again.

Are we sure that this guy isn't a Tucker fan?  Are we sure that Tucker wasn't part of the planning?   

These are probably taking the "staged" aspect too far (especially since I haven't bothered to watch the video), but from all of the descriptions I've read this has almost nothing to do with the persons thoughts on Tucker but everything to do with what to say to go "viral".   To get my 15 minutes of face.  To get everyone to turn into Tucker's show to see what all of this is about.   Oh, there I go too far again.
I mean, I agree 100% this was about going viral and getting facetime.  

If you wanted to confront the worst people in the world--I feel like you track down child molestors, rapists and murders.  Regardless of your take on Tucker, there are a lot worse people out there.  

That being said, that doesn't lead me to believe Tucker was in on it.  I think the dude saw a famous guy he disagrees with in the store and thought "here's my chance."

You call someone an evil pig for playing in the mud, waller in the mud, and say well I just learned from the pig LOL  AM I RITE?!
If the cloven hoof fits, then fill up the slop bucket.  

Fox News has released a statement that clearly shows how offended they are. My post was definitely a whataboutism, no question. Guess where I learned that one.

Frankly, the fact that we know Carlson's daughter isn't crying herself to sleep under her Dora the Explorer bedspread kind of takes the teeth out of this tragedy, doesn't it?

I can't be the only one who was:

"Eh, in front of his daughter? That's grimy."

"Wait, how old is she?"

If the cloven hoof fits, then fill up the slop bucket.  

Fox News has released a statement that clearly shows how offended they are. My post was definitely a whataboutism, no question. Guess where I learned that one.

Frankly, the fact that we know Carlson's daughter isn't crying herself to sleep under her Dora the Explorer bedspread kind of takes the teeth out of this tragedy, doesn't it?

"Wait, how old is she?"
From those gosh darn evil Republicans.  

To hate them so much, you guys sure do try hard to be just like them.

From those gosh darn evil Republicans.  

To hate them so much, you guys sure do try hard to be just like them.
Do me a favor, stop using the word 'evil' when discussing how I refer to the GOP.  I am sure there are people on here who called them that, but I have not.  

I agreed with you, by the way, truly a whataboutism. The tactic of the left. You got me. 

Point remains, a network that employs Jesse Watters gets no moral high ground, and my FURTHER point is, adult daughter, Mr. Carlson has lost all sympathy. The guy tried to get some publicity? OK.  He'll probably have a podcast next week.  What do I care? Were his motives not pure?   :lmao:

I think the dude saw a famous guy he disagrees with in the store and thought "here's my chance."
I agree with this except I'm not sure that actually disagreeing with him was a requirement for his goal.  Yes, he needed to be disagreeable in the video for his goal of convincing people like us to watch*, but odds to me are about the same as to whether the "disagreeable" part was or was not part of the act.

*As to me watching I'd rather post something stupidly uninformed than be a +1 in the views.

"Wait, how old is she?"
I agree with this. It was his ADULT daughter. So there were only adults present during this low-key, too-close-for-comfort-get-out-of-my-face telling someone how they feel about them. No yelling, no pushing. A few seconds of "I don't like you" and it was over.

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't take part in any way of something like this. But its not an outrage either.

I'd like to make a motion that we accept the boooooooing of people who do not tip at a restaurant.  Can I get a second?
Once, when bartending at a fairly posh place, a guy with a smoking hot date stiffed me on his dinner tab. Unfortunately for him, I had given my notice, and it was my 2nd to last shift.  

He wishes I had booed him. Followed him outside and gave his date 20 bucks in case he didn't have money for a cab. She was mortified.  

Anywaaays......

I’m on the fence….

I was mostly thinking awful….

But then, the daughter is an adult so that’s not even part of it anymore. Then it’s just two guys having a conflict in public.

Seems like they both made physical contact.

In a store like that? I think you’ve gotta keep your distance…

Maybe the Booo from a distance thing would be ok, and kind of funny.

However, Carlson is a pretty flawed human who says things through the safety of a TV camera that affects and hurts people….

Maybe Montana Man feels like he was one of these affected people…. And he starts making decisions based on that emotion and anger.

I know if someone harassed, insulted, etc., my wife (for example) and I saw them out in public, I’m really not sure I could let it slide.

I mean, I probably should let it slide…. Just not sure I could.

like I said, on the fence.

Why is this celebrity getting confronted in public any different than any other celebrity? Carlson is a shock jock, he's Limbaugh, he's Morton Downey. This would happen a lot more if Carlson was frequenting fishing tackle shops in Chicago or Boston. 

Users who are viewing this thread