What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It’s getting ugly in here (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timschochet

Footballguy
So I know there are some posters here who would prefer it if I left or was banned permanently. I know this because they’ve posted it. And although in the past it’s never been a consideration, I gotta say it really is one now. I’m getting bored. 
Im bored of the toxicity and ugliness and insults and trolling and name calling. There’s always been an element of this but in recent weeks it’s gotten worse. 
The other day I was making a list in my head of the posters I’ve enjoyed the most over the years, the ones who were the most thoughtful and provided good insight to every discussion. They’re almost all gone. I may be too shortly if things don’t change around here. Doesn’t look good that they will. 

if it wasnt for @rockaction's insomniacal wordbombs, i wouldnt be posting in TPF. there have been two or three issues this week i would love to have weighed in on, but wont waste the cyberdust to have it feed this benighted swarm of magpies

Last edited by a moderator:
So I know there are some posters here who would prefer it if I left or was banned permanently. I know this because they’ve posted it. And although in the past it’s never been a consideration, I gotta say it really is one now. I’m getting bored. 
Im bored of the toxicity and ugliness and insults and trolling and name calling. There’s always been an element of this but in recent weeks it’s gotten worse. 
The other day I was making a list in my head of the posters I’ve enjoyed the most over the years, the ones who were the most thoughtful and provided good insight to every discussion. They’re almost all gone. I may be too shortly if things don’t change around here. Doesn’t look good that they will. 

I appreciate your posts and hope you feel better soon. 

SID has essentially left. Henry, too. RHE has basically left but checks in. Yankee23Fan is very busy but checks in. One guy that I won't mention because of board/legal posting issues has serious health problems. One alias-lovin' dude also had health problems and I believed left. Some signed their own perma-bans, some deservedly so.

Lotta guys there. 

Keep plugging, tim. People have been awful with you from the jump, your skin must be getting thinner. I hope you feel better. 

if it wasnt for @rockaction's insomniacal wordbombs, i wouldnt be posting in TPF. there have been two or three issues this week i would love to have weighed in on, but wont waste the cyberdust to have it wasted in the benighted swarm of magpies
Man, you've given a full-on compliment. Thank you for reading. I've noticed you'll humor me these days and you're one of the few that reads what I write and engages me. I love it. Love your perspective, wikkid. Thanks. 

Tell me about it. Seems like everything I try to post as part of a serious discussion in the main Trump and Biden threads gets a  :lmao:  "like" emoji. Yes, the insults and the trolling are getting worse (which I didn't think was possible). 

I think both Henry Ford and SaintsInDome just got tired of the constant and uncalled for ridicule and abuse, which is why they no longer post in this forum. 

You take this place way too seriously dude

No. You're speaking for them. Don't do that. 

That is my take and I am allowed to do that. Sheesh, talk about proving Tim right.

Actually Henry Ford had said something to that effect after a short absence before he made a permanent exit.

Saints still posts occasionally in the Shark Pool and there is some reason he quit posting here after being among the most active posters in this forum. My explanation is as good as any and I have heard it speculated before by others.

Tell me about it. Seems like everything I try to post as part of a serious discussion in the main Trump and Biden threads gets a  :lmao:  "like" emoji. Yes, the insults and the trolling are getting worse (which I didn't think was possible). 

I think both Henry Ford and SaintsInDome just got tired of the constant and uncalled for ridicule and abuse, which is why they no longer post in this forum. 

i'm not trying to disagree, but i dont think those folk considered it even close to ridicule & abuse. more like infestation, the fruit gnats of August that make one want to stop eating bananas and tomatoes for a while to reduce the swarm. mere annoyance, but why be annoyed for wanting truths to be revealed, examined and acted upon?

That is my take and I am allowed to do that. Sheesh, talk about proving Tim right.

Actually Henry Ford had said something to that effect after a short absence before he made a permanent exit.

And Saints still posts occasionally in the Shark Pool and there is some reason he quit posting here after being among the most active posters in this forum.

And you dont know the reason.

Yet you post the 'reason' as a statement.

People get away with just continuously insulting/trolling you two in every thread. It's pretty frustrating and I agree there is very little reason to post in this sub-forum. Particularly since so many good posters have been shouted or moderated out.

Man, you've given a full-on compliment. Thank you for reading. I've noticed you'll humor me these days and you're one of the few that reads what I write and engages me. I love it. Love your perspective, wikkid. Thanks. 

it's more than humoring. i'm still trying as hard as i ever have to figure it all out and i find aid & succor in witness to your parallel quest. cant always compliment your aim, but you are a soldier for truth & light and who among us us cannot learn from them?!

And you dont know the reason.

Yet you post the 'reason' as a statement.
The reason is multifaceted. It's complicated, and I'll give the bearer of the burden the benefit of the doubt and not speak for him. squistion should do the same. That's also not what tim was talking about. He was talking about personal attacks, which I did not make. Just told him not to do that. 

Fully agree, and I think a lot of what we see is a combo of tribalism and just a long history with the same posters.   It's gotten to the point where people just can't get over the history, can't get over the pot shots, and quickly descend into the typical b.s. insults and pot shots.  

I am posting this fully aware that I engage in it too, and I've basically only been coming in here for a couple years and there's 5-6 posters I can not have a civil conversation with.   It's amplified with the tim's of the PSF.   

It's noticeable that people that tim listed don't post in the forums anymore, and I've noticed more and more others posting less and less.   People ##### about him, but like it our not tim at least posts thoughts,  answers questions, posts links, and we know where he stands on positions.   The same can't be said for many around here.   I know they lean a certain way, but I couldn't tell you much about what they actually thought about positions and topics, which is sad because I thought that is why we are here and that's the point of conversations and debates.  

People get away with just continuously insulting/trolling you two in every thread. It's pretty frustrating and I agree there is very little reason to post in this sub-forum. Particularly since so many good posters have been shouted or moderated out.

Did you ever stop to consider that they're also doing the insulting and trolling?  I mean, you get back in kind, do you not?

You think that it's only "the other guys" that are doing that stuff.  It ain't.  I think we are ALL guilty of this so, please, lets not pretend that some posters are all does-in-the-woods and just being "attacked" willy-nilly.  It's a back and forth and it takes two to tango.

Some posters are more direct than others - other posters hide behind back-handed or implicit insults to try and fool the moderators.  Point is, we ALL do it to some degree but we all do it.

I think the problem is that we only "see" what the "other side" is doing.  We never point out our own side because, well, they're on our side.

Saints still posts occasionally in the Shark Pool and there is some reason he quit posting here after being among the most active posters in this forum. My explanation is as good as any and I have heard it speculated before by others.
Wrong. Henry threw a fit and left after DW was suspended for wishing Trump would get Covid and spread it to his children by kissing them.  This is fact. Let me know if you want the link.  

I frequently get bored and either barely post in the psf or don't post at all. The conversations are often the same.  

Wrong. Henry threw a fit and left after DW was suspended for wishing Trump would get Covid and spread it to his children by kissing them.  This is fact. Let me know if you want the link.  

He may have been upset with that, but I specifically remember him expressing dissatisfaction with the general tenor of this forum. Perhaps either he or Saints could make a visit and settle the matter. 

I would if I could understand 1/2 of what you or wikkid are typing.   Not smart enough to keep up with your posts usually.  
You're smart enough. I just write sometimes like an academic because that's where the arguments about the issues I'm fighting usually resides, and one needs to speak the language in order to be taken seriously.

At the risk of unwanted compliments, if I could write and explain things as clear as a bell like Ivan Karamazov does, I would do that. But I can't. I wanted to go back and take an editing class at UCLA recently, but when I did, it was in service of character development for queer literature projects. I thought that was a silly way to teach "Developmental Editing," so I dropped it and got my eight hundred bucks back. It was not about grammar or syntax at all - we were not going to be called on to correct style, only suggest queer development - so you guys got at least another year of my style. Sorry about that.  

He may have been upset with that, but I specifically remember him expressing dissatisfaction with the general tenor of this forum. Perhaps either he or Saints could make a visit and settle the matter. 

Saints PM'd me regarding why and I still wouldn't pretend to know the full reason nor thought it appropriate to ask to speak for him or to even assume I could. It's a multitude of reasons.

And yet you continue. 

I think you and I have always gotten along well even if we disagree on a few things.  So, I say this as someone who likes you - you engage folks too much.  Put people on ignore and move on - there’s people willing to have discussions and debates with you but you and some others engage everyone.  I won’t mention any names but there’s a handful of posters that you know will never engage you in an actual discussion.  All you are doing is your frustrating yourself and contributing to the noise around here.

there are many in here who should thank their lucky stars for a person who takes everything everyone says at face value like @timschochet. otherwise, yayas & nayaahnyaahs would be all you'd hear. it is the worst & best thing about mr timmy that he takes himself so seriously and feels it would be unfair not to do the same for everyone else. enjoy while you can, madding crowd - most of you have done little on these boards to deserve that quality of consideration. nufced

During you most recent time out...did you consider anything about your approach and what you wanted to achieve going forward with the time you spend here?

Now do dozer and the other threads.  And the original abuser of the laughing emoji Koya. 

During you most recent time out...did you consider anything about your approach and what you wanted to achieve going forward with the time you spend here?
I did. I always do when I get time outs, most of which I’ve deserved- I’ve never not taken ownership for those. I always return with the same vows: post about the issue not the other poster. Don’t engage in personal attacks. Try to be excellent to everyone. 
So when I returned I began to offer my views on what was happening in Afghanistan. Admittedly I saw it differently than most of the people here. As always I wanted a discussion and a debate. About 10% of the responses I got were just that:  thoughtful posts that attempted to refute my point of view. Unfortunately the other 90% were personal insults, challenges to my integrity, and just plain ugliness. A couple posters suggested that COVID had addled my brain. And as always a few people accused me of trying to ruin the forum and complained that the mods were still allowing me to post here. 
In other threads I’m reading insults way worse than the posts that got me (rightfully) suspended. They’re just ugly. So yeah I’m bored. Those folks who advise me just to put certain people on ignore- the problem is, those people are almost all that’s left. So why not put the entire forum on ignore? 

Just my two cents here.  You were suspended for a while recently and while there was the usual back and forth (admittedly by me as well) the place was fine.   You've returned and it seems to have gone south. Especiallly when you make threads bout how its gone south.

There's a correlation there man.  Maybe it would be better for you to find a board that doesn't upset you as much. 

I did. I always do when I get time outs, most of which I’ve deserved- I’ve never not taken ownership for those. I always return with the same vows: post about the issue not the other poster. Don’t engage in personal attacks. Try to be excellent to everyone. 
So when I returned I began to offer my views on what was happening in Afghanistan. Admittedly I saw it differently than most of the people here. As always I wanted a discussion and a debate. About 10% of the responses I got were just that:  thoughtful posts that attempted to refute my point of view. Unfortunately the other 90% were personal insults, challenges to my integrity, and just plain ugliness. A couple posters suggested that COVID had addled my brain. And as always a few people accused me of trying to ruin the forum and complained that the mods were still allowing me to post here. 
In other threads I’m reading insults way worse than the posts that got me (rightfully) suspended. They’re just ugly. So yeah I’m bored. Those folks who advise me just to put certain people on ignore- the problem is, those people are almost all that’s left. So why not put the entire forum on ignore? 
Have you ever considered that the people that have left did so because you contribute to engaging folks that are not here for discussion?

But I somewhat disagree with that premise anyway - there’s folks here on both sides that will engage in discussions- engage those people and ignore the others.  Give that a chance for a while and see what your results are.

A couple posters suggested that COVID had addled my brain.
Tim in fairness these posts were just good natured light ribbing for an unorthodox viewpoint. I say good natured because all that I saw (and posted myself) we’re accompanied with genuine well wishes for a full and speedy recovery.  If you took my post on the subject with any mal intent I certainly apologize, that was in no way how it was intended.   

No need for this to spiral downward. 

Everyone please be more kind to each other. 

Be less ugly to each other.

Assume the best more often of each other. 

I'm fully aware most everyone thinks they're doing fine and it's the "other" side that is doing the wrong.

I'm saying we have to start with ourselves. First. 

Thanks.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in the guy coming off a suspension for calling all female Trump supporters ugly complaining about how nasty this place supposedly is?

No. You're not the only one. That's what I mean when I say people mostly focus on what the "other side" is doing. Way better to try and do better yourself. Me obviously included. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread