What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A plea for civility in the PSF. (1 Viewer)

And that’s the contradiction I was discussing earlier. Every Trump person I know is a wonderful person. Decent and kind. And yet they vote for this awful person with bigoted, unAmerican ideas. I know that most of his supporters aren’t bigoted. So what’s the ****ing deal? I’ve never been able to reconcile it.
Maybe you should reevaluate how much faith you have in the media you consume. They are very dishonest about a great many things, and they profit off of your anger/perceptions of the other side.

Consider this:
McCain: Racist, sexist ,bigot, homophobe etc.
Romney: Racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe, etc
Trump: Racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe, etc.
Biden: Crickets

It gets old being called all of those things because you disagree with a candidate about tax policy or social safety nets. Trump's success is because he was the first one that fought back against it. McCain and Romney did not, and they lost. I know it's been said here before, but Trump isn't Republicans saying F you to Democrats as much as it's saying F you to the media.
Trump supporters sure like to blame the media for everything.
Spoken like someone whose political views the media carries water for every day. Not surprised. 🥱

I take gentle issue with the contention that FBG posters can not be swayed on matters of importance.
As I wrote earlier, certain discussions have caused me to change my own mind.

It’s certainly not a compliment to anyone to suggest that no matter how compelling the argument, no matter what new facts are introduced, they’re not going to change their minds. I have respect for a lot of the people here on all sides and I refuse to believe that they’re that closed-minded.
Has there been a thread where folks post things the PSF has moved the needle / changed their mind out politically ?
It's hard to tell sometimes because the needle may not move dramatically from majority disfavor to majority favor or versey vicey. Maybe the single issue demonstrating a majority FBG swing would be gay rights.

But there has been movement on a number of issues. Support for the Electoral College is ever so slowly dissipating and there is now little objection to college athletes making money, to give two examples.

Longtime posters here will remember the constitutional re-write thread of the early aughts where a number of esteemed political observers here advocated strongly for a return of limited suffrage. I think many of those posters now see the folly of that as a tool to improved governance.

And that’s the contradiction I was discussing earlier. Every Trump person I know is a wonderful person. Decent and kind. And yet they vote for this awful person with bigoted, unAmerican ideas. I know that most of his supporters aren’t bigoted. So what’s the ****ing deal? I’ve never been able to reconcile it.
Maybe you should reevaluate how much faith you have in the media you consume. They are very dishonest about a great many things, and they profit off of your anger/perceptions of the other side.

Consider this:

It gets old being called all of those things because you disagree with a candidate about tax policy or social safety nets. Trump's success is because he was the first one that fought back against it. McCain and Romney did not, and they lost. I know it's been said here before, but Trump isn't Republicans saying F you to Democrats as much as it's saying F you to the media.
Spoken like someone whose political views the media carries water for every day. Not surprised. 🥱
Blame the media for everything, right on cue.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/08/racism-is-the-only-reason-obama-might-lose.html

A couple minutes on google is all it took to find these and more. The fact that some of you didn't think this was true is pretty surprising. The democrats and media will call Republicans racist every single time so that they can win elections. I don't even think the DNC would deny this.
How many would you like me to post before you reconsider your "this is total BS" post?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/08/racism-is-the-only-reason-obama-might-lose.html

A couple minutes on google is all it took to find these and more. The fact that some of you didn't think this was true is pretty surprising. The democrats and media will call Republicans racist every single time so that they can win elections. I don't even think the DNC would deny this.
How many would you like me to post before you reconsider your "this is total BS" post?
Despite a handful of articles, it was not the prevailing opinion back then. If I thought McCain was a racist I never would have considered voting for him and I very well may have had he not chosen Palin for his VP.

I love discussing politics, but I don't enjoy shouting about it. And it's not good for me either.
I realize I'm mainly interested in discussions with like minded individuals. Here anyway. Judicious use of the ignore function should probably be exercised more. Shoutout to the tough individuals who don't ignore anyone. You are truly an alpha male, the rest of us in our puny universe quake in your presence.

I don't think many people here are looking to have their mind changed. If there were, it would occasionally happen. It doesn't.
Why don’t you and those that think like you create a Liberal’s only thread? The Conservatives would stay out of it.

Despite a handful of articles, it was not the prevailing opinion back then. If I thought McCain was a racist I never would have considered voting for him and I very well may have had he not chosen Palin for his VP.
If you think it was a only a handful of articles, I'm not sure what to tell you. We can do the same for GW too. It is absolutely not "total BS".

@massraideright be on to something. Maybe we should have subforums for Conservatives and Liberals. It would certainly make for a more enjoyable experience. You could still view the other forum but not post in it.

@massraideright be on to something. Maybe we should have subforums for Conservatives and Liberals. It would certainly make for a more enjoyable experience. You could still view the other forum but not post in it.
So the creation of forced echo chambers? That is literally social media at its absolute worst. Let’s only continue to reinforce the ideas in our bubble and never think outside or discuss with others. It’s exactly what the algorithms on Facebook and Twitter already do and have created this divisive mess. Yeah no thanks.

This is total BS.
What part? Romney killed dogs too. Do you not remember any of that?

I didn't remember this, so to Google....

Mitt Romney dog incident

In June 1983, the Romney family left their Belmont, Massachusetts home on their way to Romney's parents' cottage in Beach O' Pines, Ontario for an annual vacation along the shore of Lake Huron. Their dog, Seamus, rode in a carrier on the roof of the family's Chevrolet Caprice station wagon for the 12-hour trip. Romney had built a windshield for the carrier to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.[1] During the 650-mile (1,050 km) trip, Seamus got diarrhea. The Romneys were first alerted to the Irish Setter’s bowel issues when Tagg noticed brown liquid pouring down the back window, followed immediately by him and his younger brothers yelling in disgust. Romney stopped at a gas station to wash the dog, the carrier, and the car. With Seamus back in the carrier, the family continued on their way.

:lmao:

Consider this:

This post is yet another attempt to make the argument that Donald Trump is no different from any other conservative politician. It’s not true.

It wasn’t OK to call McCain or Romney a bigot. It is OK to call Trump one, because he is.

Those liberals that pretend to be in the middle would be super confused

This is total BS.

Mitt Romney dog incident

In June 1983, the Romney family left their Belmont, Massachusetts home on their way to Romney's parents' cottage in Beach O' Pines, Ontario for an annual vacation along the shore of Lake Huron. Their dog, Seamus, rode in a carrier on the roof of the family's Chevrolet Caprice station wagon for the 12-hour trip. Romney had built a windshield for the carrier to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.[1] During the 650-mile (1,050 km) trip, Seamus got diarrhea. The Romneys were first alerted to the Irish Setter’s bowel issues when Tagg noticed brown liquid pouring down the back window, followed immediately by him and his younger brothers yelling in disgust. Romney stopped at a gas station to wash the dog, the carrier, and the car. With Seamus back in the carrier, the family continued on their way.

Oh my --but the dog didn't die? Can't imagine putting a dog on the roof a car even for a mile, much less 650 :oops:

Except there's folks in the middle who probably won't enjoy being pigeonholed.
May I present SaintsReport.com "Mad About Politics" subforums. Just going through the subforum names ... you'll get the gist.

How one presents their bonafides to join one of the private subforums, I have no idea.

Consider this:

The ironic thing is
This is total BS.

Mitt Romney dog incident

This can't be real, wasn't this in the original Vacation movie.

Consider this:

I don't know where you get that at all.

McCain: A friggin hero and excellent moderate statesmen. It's a shame he was forced into having a lunatic as VP.
Romney: Solid moderate statesmen in a weird religion.
Trump: As you say
Biden: Old as dirt who's biggest qualification is he isn't named Donald Trump

Conservatives already have one...it's called Truth Social.

Except there's folks in the middle who probably won't enjoy being pigeonholed.
May I present SaintsReport.com "Mad About Politics" subforums. Just going through the subforum names ... you'll get the gist.

How one presents their bonafides to join one of the private subforums, I have no idea.
Talk about silos -- this place gets crazy because we're all in the same sandbox, but the value is hearing all sides -

That’s the thing though - you can still hear all sides if you want. Just visit the subforum. Let’s be real here - the political exchanges between Liberals and Conservatives aren’t productive.

That’s the thing though - you can still hear all sides if you want. Just visit the subforum. Let’s be real here - the political exchanges between Liberals and Conservatives aren’t productive.
When you litter threads with vitriol like “I know Liberals have a really hard time with the English language” and “I don’t give a **** about what you guys think because you don’t care about the truth”, does that help or hinder the productivity of exchanges?

I think they can be. A discussion between IvanK, Yankee23Fan, Maurile, fatguy, and bigbottom, for example, is very productive. The problem is that there are way too many posters who just want to post whatabouts and "nuh-uh". The simplest way to fix the forums would be to ban those posters rather than continually imploring "everyone" to behave better. Of course, that's bad for business, and this is a business, after all.

Consider this:

This post is yet another attempt to make the argument that Donald Trump is no different from any other conservative politician. It’s not true.

It wasn’t OK to call McCain or Romney a bigot. It is OK to call Trump one, because he is.
No Tim. No it isn't. Not even close.

Consider this:

McCain: A friggin hero and excellent moderate statesmen. It's a shame he was forced into having a lunatic as VP.
You don't know where I get what? That's what the media and DNC said about McCain and Romney while they were running. Not me. Once they were no longer a threat, they said the nice stuff. Romney didn't become a statesman in their eyes until he voted to remove Trump.
I only posted it because I was trying to help Tim reconcile his position that even though all the Trump people he knows in real life aren't bad people, the ones he sees on TV are all horrible. The media is feeding that to him and he's lapping it up. He seemed genuinely curious, but I guess he wasn't.

Consider this:

You don't know where I get what? That's what the media and DNC said about McCain and Romney while they were running. Not me. Once they were no longer a threat, they said the nice stuff. Romney didn't become a statesman in their eyes until he voted to remove Trump.
I only posted it because I was trying to help Tim reconcile his position that even though all the Trump people he knows in real life aren't bad people, the ones he sees on TV are all horrible. The media is feeding that to him and he's lapping it up. He seemed genuinely curious, but I guess he wasn't.
So the media was totally kind to Hillary and Obama during their POTUS campaigns?

Consider this:

I'm not sure what media you watch but I didn't see that stuff personnally

Consider this:

So the media was totally kind to Hillary and Obama during their POTUS campaigns?
I didn't say anything like that, did I? I know it's easier to change the subject than to address it, but it's not very helpful.
That's twice now in this thread that someone tried to read my mind and argue with thoughts that don't exist.
It's also why I almost always regret posting here.

Consider this:

I'm not sure what media you watch but I didn't see that stuff personnally
I posted links, but if those weren't good enough, just Google Romney racist 2012 or McCain racist 2008. It's all out there if you don't believe me.

Consider this:

I didn't say anything like that, did I? I know it's easier to change the subject than to address it, but it's not very helpful.
That's twice now in this thread that someone tried to read my mind and argue with thoughts that don't exist.
Chill dude. guess I don't get your point then? All media is unkind to POTUS / campaigns.

Heck, Obama was called racist by the media.
:shrug:

Last edited:

Consider this:

Chill dude. guess I don't get your point then? All media is unkind to POTUS / campaigns.

Joe Biden just ran a campaign from his basement and had a son doing God knows what and it was nothing to see here...all campaigns are not treated the same.

Consider this:

Joe Biden just ran a campaign from his basement and had a son doing God knows what and it was nothing to see here...all campaigns are not treated the same.
The media was key in getting Trump elected in 2016. Deny?

Consider this:

Not because they gave him positive coverage...you cannot seriously believe that was the reason...Trump in 2016 was different than any other candidate but in no way was the MSM actually rooting for him...he was a non-threatening oddity that was not a threat to the dems (Hillary's wanted him to win the nomination)...until he became one.

Last edited:

Consider this:

Blame the media for everything, right on cue.

Consider this:

Not because they gave him positive coverage...you cannot seriously believe that was the reason...Trump in 2016 was different than any other candidate but in no way was the MSM actually rooting for him...he was a non-threatening oddity that was not a threat to the dems (Hillary's wanted him to win the nomination)...until he became one.
Why are we talking about all this again? and yes, of course. The reason Trump got in was because of the media coverage of Hillary. The drumbeat against the Clintons started with Rush 10 + years before and culminated with her leading a child pornography ring working out of a pizza joint.

Consider this:

The argument you presented was a false premise that you failed to support with evidence. The article about the McCain ad never said McCain was a racist, it was about how a McCain ad deliberately darkened the skin tone on Obama’s face.
The Romney content was mainly about criticizing him for race-baiting by playing up old “welfare queen” stereotypes made famous by Reagan. Didn’t accuse Romney of being racist, criticized his campaign strategy of using an appearance at an NAACP convention to sow division.
Nothing to support the claim that McCain or Romney were called homophobes.

And your claim of “crickets” for Biden on issues of race is the opposite of true. Republicans have been calling Biden racist for decades, and during the 2020 campaign were quick to respond to accusations of Trump being a racist by claiming Biden is the bigger racist, usually accompanied by some vague claim about Senate legislation that passed in the 1980s or 1990s that Biden supported as proof.

Trump is on a different level. The first time he was in The NY Times as an adult was because of investigation into racist renting practices at Trump properties. Not a lot of course correcting in the decades since. His public statements about the Central Park Five, a lot of smoke about problematic attitudes about race and religious affiliation among employees at Trump Organization and Trump-owned businesses, the birther stuff towards Obama that made him popular among Republicans, his campaign promise to build a big wall to keep the Mexicans out differentiated himself in the 2016 primary and was a big driver in him getting his nomination, “s—-hole countries”… and that’s not even close to an exhaustive list.

Consider this:

The argument you presented was a false premise that you failed to support with evidence. The article about the McCain ad never said McCain was a racist, it was about how a McCain ad deliberately darkened the skin tone on Obama’s face.
The Romney content was mainly about criticizing him for race-baiting by playing up old “welfare queen” stereotypes made famous by Reagan. Didn’t accuse Romney of being racist, criticized his campaign strategy of using an appearance at an NAACP convention to sow division.
Nothing to support the claim that McCain or Romney were called homophobes.

And your claim of “crickets” for Biden on issues of race is the opposite of true. Republicans have been calling Biden racist for decades, and during the 2020 campaign were quick to respond to accusations of Trump being a racist by claiming Biden is the bigger racist, usually accompanied by some vague claim about Senate legislation that passed in the 1980s or 1990s that Biden supported as proof.

Trump is on a different level. The first time he was in The NY Times as an adult was because of investigation into racist renting practices at Trump properties. Not a lot of course correcting in the decades since. His public statements about the Central Park Five, a lot of smoke about problematic attitudes about race and religious affiliation among employees at Trump Organization and Trump-owned businesses, the birther stuff towards Obama that made him popular among Republicans, his campaign promise to build a big wall to keep the Mexicans out differentiated himself in the 2016 primary and was a big driver in him getting his nomination, “s—-hole countries”… and that’s not even close to an exhaustive list.
:goodposting:

This is total BS.

Mitt Romney dog incident

I'm willing to give a break to anyone who has a dog with diarrhea. Especially if said dog is riding above you in your car.

Consider this:

Why are we talking about all this again? and yes, of course. The reason Trump got in was because of the media coverage of Hillary. The drumbeat against the Clintons started with Rush 10 + years before and culminated with her leading a child pornography ring working out of a pizza joint.

We are talking about it because you brought it up.

Users who are viewing this thread