What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (1 Viewer)

Text me of I come up again.  Watching Phillies-Cubs.  Both teams had a seven run inning.  Fun game.

Phillies were down 7-0, just went up 8-7, lol.

Billy Bragg & Wilco

Mermaid Avenue (1998)

”Ingrid Bergman”

”Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key”

Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2 (2000) 

“Airline to Heaven”

”Remember the Mountain Bed” 

Featuring the lost lyrics of Woody Guthrie as set to music by Bragg and Wilco. Great folky stuff if you like this sort of thing. And I do. 

Well, that saves me from asking Eephus if I could take the first one along with a Billy Bragg record, which I'd planned to do.  Nice stuff.

Today's album discovery was George Harrison's Brainwashed. I only skimmed the thread last night so I didn't read krista's usual extensive notes so I was going in cold. 

I'm going out on a limb to say Jeff Lynne worked on the record. It has an instantly recognizable sound that's a fine match with George's aging chops. George could always write a melody and there are some lovely songs here.  I drifted in and out on the lyrics but that's not uncommon on a first listen. As a fellow Pisces, I appreciate that he considers us deep instead of just odd.

George has an old brown shoe of a voice that's lost a little range since his Beatles days. He provides his usual tasteful leads and I'm sure he and Lynne had their pick of the finest session musicians. In spite of the album's many delights, there is a sameness to the middle part of the album. There are a lot of mid-tempo numbers strumming down the road. I found myself waiting for John or Paul or Lucky or Lefty to jump in and sing for a while.  The end of the album was pure filler with a ukulele bit and a blues song that I didn't love. I would have included the title track that closes the album because my tolerance for all things brainwashing related is at an all-time low but the song was redeemed by the Indian coda.

Liked it, would listen to the first half again.
Great review and couldn't quibble with any of it.  I'm glad you gave it a spin!

My playlist will be a mess going from Tears for Fears to this, but who cares. 

Yo Mama selects:

Metallica

Ride the Lightning - 1984

Master of Puppets - 1986

I’m going to pour myself a rum & coke, put on my headphones, and pick songs for my playlist after rockin out for a while. I’ll probably just pick the same songs I always do, but whatevs.  :headbang:

PINK FLOYD

Only one pair from them so far? Time to fix that, their quality/scarcity is comparable to Zeppelin's. 

Meddle (1971)

Wish You Were Here (1975)

Meddle is mainly here for Echoes, one of the greatest side-long epics from the psychedelic era. It was inexplicably left off Tim's and Bracie's 1971 lists and that will be rectified whenever I get around to making mine. But One of These Days and Fearless from side 1 are fantastic as well. The album marked the beginning of their transition from an experimental "art" band to stadium rockers. 

Wish, you probably already know everything there is to know about it already. 

My playlist just got way longer.

Meddle:

One of These Days

Echoes

Wish You Were Here:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts I-V // Parts VI-IX

Wish You Were Here

No theme, no cohesion, just some pairs of albums that I like. 

Yo Mama’s Pairs

Nirvana - Bleach (1989)

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

Beastie Boys - Paul’s Boutique (1989)

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication (1994)

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (1973)

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail (1976)

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (1973)

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (1975)

Tears for Fears - The Hurting (1983)

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair (1985)

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)

Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)

:thumbup:

PINK FLOYD

Only one pair from them so far? Time to fix that, their quality/scarcity is comparable to Zeppelin's. 

Meddle (1971)

Meddle is mainly here for Echoes, one of the greatest side-long epics from the psychedelic era. It was inexplicably left off Tim's and Bracie's 1971 lists and that will be rectified whenever I get around to making mine. But One of These Days and Fearless from side 1 are fantastic as well. The album marked the beginning of their transition from an experimental "art" band to stadium rockers. 

Meddle:

One of These Days

Echoes

Wish You Were Here:

Wish You Were Here
Excellent choices, I almost went with these

Yo Mama selects:

Metallica

Master of Puppets - 1986

I’m going to pour myself a rum & coke, put on my headphones, and pick songs for my playlist after rockin out for a while. I’ll probably just pick the same songs I always do, but whatevs.  :headbang:
Yeah I’m just going with the classics:

Fade to Black

Creeping Death

Master of Puppets

Disposable Heroes

Yo Mama selects:

Metallica

Master of Puppets - 1986

That's how it's DONE!

PINK FLOYD

Meddle (1971)

Meddle:

One of These Days

Echoes

Wish You Were Here:

Wish You Were Here
Oh no.  Dammit.  At least you used all the right tunes.  My two short listers taken back to back and I'm half asleep. I will pick early am.

PINK FLOYD

Meddle (1971)

Meddle:

One of These Days

Echoes

Wish You Were Here:

Wish You Were Here
Nice - was probably going to pick this same pair eventually.

5.24: Squeeze

Cool For Cats (1979)

Argybargy (1980)

6.2: King Crimson

In The Court of the Crimson King (1969)

Discipline (1981)

RE: Crimson. Much, much different band/sound on the pair, with Robert Fripp as the only connection between the two albums.

I'll add tunes later on for all the albums I've selected.

Not sure who's up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread