What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nintendo Switch for Dummies (1 Viewer)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
Ok, we want to get my 8 year old son a Nintendo Switch. We also have a 10 year old daughter and 5 year old son. 

I am now at that age that I am not on top of these things anymore and need someone to explain it to me like I did to my parents back when Nintendo NES came out. 

Do I need to get each their own Switch or extra controllers or what? 

What suggestions does everyone have in terms of what to buy (I am sure there is not just a Nintendo Switch and that is it... probably different variations and packages, right?) 

Help an old man out and help me make good decisions here. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch is a bit unique in that it can be used as either a console or a handheld gamer.  I think the box comes with the main console and two half-controllers. You can attach the half-controllers to either side of the main console and pull it out of the base and play it as a handheld. When in the base, the two half-controllers are pulled off and used.

Each half-controllers can either be used as a full controller (it's a little small for adult hands, but it works), or put together in larger controller unit to make a single controller. When the half-controllers are used a full-controller, there a slide-on that goes over the top to give you your top buttons.

So if you want a console-type setup that up to four people could use, you would need, at a minimum, the console, 4 (total) half-controllers, and four of the slide-ons (they may come with the half-controllers when you buy them, I don't full remember).  

If you want the kids to be able to use them as handhelds (at the same time), they'd each need a console. 

And if the kids decide that they don't like the half-controller setup, you may need to get a few more half-controllers, so each one can use two in a "full-controller" configuration.

It's actually a pretty cool engineering design that allows the system to be pretty flexible. I was impressed when I eventually figured it out.

We got a couple of the full size controllers as those small half controllers are very small, even for my older kids, that it was just a bit silly. My youngest uses it a bit, I've only schooled them in Mario Kart a few times. We don't really use it as much as we should to have justified it, but the full size controllers are a must IMO unless you have dainty hands.

We have one for our 10 year old daughter.  I'm also a dinosaur.  She's not much of a gamer.  She never uses it in the portable mode - only as a tv console game system.  We've had a blast with it - mostly playing Mario Kart, the dance game and some of the other Mario World games.  We got a few extra controllers so we can play games with more than 2 players, but that's also rare.  Based on my very limited experience, I would not think it is necessary to get a separate Switch for each kid. The only difficulty will be if they decide they like to take it out of the dock and use it in portable mode (unlike my kid, who pretty much only plays on the television), then you might have a sharing issue to deal with.  I probably would recommend getting an extra set of controllers.  Look for a bundle deal coming up where you can buy it packaged with a game or two.

Given you have multiple kids, yes get extra controllers. Treat the Switch like its own system. If the kids want to play a game together, they need multiple controllers but one Switch. The only reason to get multiple Switches is to allow kids to play different games at the same time and/or playing online against each other (but seems needlessly complicated for your situation).

My son has one and we play things like Mario Kart together and bought two extra controllers that look more like Playstation controllers. Most of the add-on controllers can do stuff like vibrate still or do some of the motion oriented things in games.

The biggest difference between the controllers like I have vs. the ones that come on the system itself and detach are that those enable games where you want each hand independent. The latest remake Zelda game lets you use your shield with you left hand and swing your sword with your right hand if you can picture that, since the gist of it is you control the game more with movement than with pushing of buttons.

I think your best bet would be a Switch and a switch lite plus a couple of controllers

People have it covered so far. Lots of options for what you want to do.

There are 3 SKUs of Switch right now: Original, Lite, and OLED

Original and OLED are the same system except the OLED has a new screen that is much better for when you play the system in handheld. When played in TV mode they will be the same.

The Light is meant to be only a hand held system - It cannot be played on your TV. This system would primarily be for one person to play on. You can connect other controllers but it is not ideal IMO. Good system, just meant to be a handheld.

All systems play the same games.

I'd go probably go the Original (OLED is likely sold out) unless you think you kids would be upset they aren't getting "the new one". The OLED is only 50 bucks more but again will be hard to find. The screen on the OLED is much nicer screen for when playing handheld so just depends what you want to do with the system.

In portable mode the Original and OLED are ideal for one person but you can play many games with multiple players sharing the Switch screen. It's not too bad and can work in a pinch.

With one Switch they can multiplayer games on TV together - this will prolly be the most used feature I think with 3 kids.

Out of the box you get everything you need for 2 players: The console, 2 controllers (the Joy Con the detach from the console if you want to play 2 player), the Dock that allows the Switch to project to the TV, and the various cables you will need to get going,

To get to 3-4 players you can add another set of Joy Con (they come in pairs) or a Pro Controllers which are more traditional controllers you have seen. Joy Con are great but long periods of playing the kids may fight for the Pro :lol:  

Tons of great game for kids on the Console. Won't have to worry about crazy stuff in their games and the games made by Nintendo are high quality. System has been out for awhile you have many options.

In the next couple weeks you will start seeing bundles at retailers so keep an eye out if you aren't on a timeline. Typically these are bundles with a big hit included,

I  am very familiar with this industry so PM if you have any questions.

People have it covered so far. Lots of options for what you want to do.

There are 3 SKUs of Switch right now: Original, Lite, and OLED

Original and OLED are the same system except the OLED has a new screen that is much better for when you play the system in handheld. When played in TV mode they will be the same.

The Light is meant to be only a hand held system - It cannot be played on your TV. This system would primarily be for one person to play on. You can connect other controllers but it is not ideal IMO. Good system, just meant to be a handheld.

All systems play the same games.

I'd go probably go the Original (OLED is likely sold out) unless you think you kids would be upset they aren't getting "the new one". The OLED is only 50 bucks more but again will be hard to find. The screen on the OLED is much nicer screen for when playing handheld so just depends what you want to do with the system.

In portable mode the Original and OLED are ideal for one person but you can play many games with multiple players sharing the Switch screen. It's not too bad and can work in a pinch.

With one Switch they can multiplayer games on TV together - this will prolly be the most used feature I think with 3 kids.

Out of the box you get everything you need for 2 players: The console, 2 controllers (the Joy Con the detach from the console if you want to play 2 player), the Dock that allows the Switch to project to the TV, and the various cables you will need to get going,

To get to 3-4 players you can add another set of Joy Con (they come in pairs) or a Pro Controllers which are more traditional controllers you have seen. Joy Con are great but long periods of playing the kids may fight for the Pro :lol:  

Tons of great game for kids on the Console. Won't have to worry about crazy stuff in their games and the games made by Nintendo are high quality. System has been out for awhile you have many options.

In the next couple weeks you will start seeing bundles at retailers so keep an eye out if you aren't on a timeline. Typically these are bundles with a big hit included,

I  am very familiar with this industry so PM if you have any questions.

A few clarifying questions... 

1) When mobile, can the kids play on the same one together with the extra controllers or is that just when tied into the TV? 

2) Would it make sense to get one regular one and two lites for the other kids? 

3) Are there different games for the regular and the light or do they play the same one? Are there physical games or do you just downloaded them? Essentially, can the kids share games if one has the regular the other has the lite?

Thanks

A few clarifying questions... 

1) When mobile, can the kids play on the same one together with the extra controllers or is that just when tied into the TV? 

2) Would it make sense to get one regular one and two lites for the other kids? 

3) Are there different games for the regular and the light or do they play the same one? Are there physical games or do you just downloaded them? Essentially, can the kids share games if one has the regular the other has the lite?

Thanks
When mobile if the game has multiplayer (like say Mario Kart) they can play sharing the same screen. You sync up multiple pairs of JoyCon to the console and it becomes a little TV. The screen isn’t huge, and it will split the screen for most multiplayer games, but it can get you by in say like a car or in a room with no TV. 

For getting the Lites they are handheld only and don’t connect to play on a TV. So if one of the kids wants to quickly try to continue playing the same game on the TV (like they are at level 10 and get home) you would have to go through a process to transfer save data and do a whole thing. If they are just playing it mobile all the time no issues.

Also, the Lites are one piece and their JoyCon are built in and don’t come off like the Original and new OLED Switch. 

The games are all the same for any of the current Switch SKU. A physical copy can be shared no issues. You can purchase download copies and you can share those but it will involve a little tech work from Dad, mom or the older kids and involves setting up accounts, registering accounts, etc.

The digital copy is essentially treated like a single copy and needs to be passed around digitally. The world of setting up accounts as you can imagine can be a bit tricky but it just takes some time and getting it set up properly and working through hiccups.

What kind of games are good for kids who are new to gaming?  Mario Kart?  We tried minecraft and the original super Mario he liked Mario but didn't get too into it.  

Also are there any rock band or guitar hero type games?  

What kind of games are good for kids who are new to gaming?  Mario Kart?  We tried minecraft and the original super Mario he liked Mario but didn't get too into it.  

Also are there any rock band or guitar hero type games?  
Depends on the age but Mario Kart or Mario Party are built to get everyone playing and be accessible those are kind of the standards.

Animal Crossing or one of the Pokemon titles are sort of entry level sim type games (both can get very involved).

If they are a bit older Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is open world, more complicated, but hundreds of hours of content if they have the patience. Mario has an open world game as well - Super Mario Odyssey which is great.

A kid friendly shooter (you cover people ink not actually shoot them) is Splatoon. 

Really depends on what you are looking for / interests. Overcooked, Just Dance, Rocket League, Jack Box, Drawful are some popular party games. 

The music accessory stuff died off. Think you’d have to go retro to play those. Cheap on eBay!

The big thing I am trying to figure out is will I need just one regular and maybe two lites for the other kids or 3 regular

Why not just start with one and then see how interested the two other kids are?
Because I know my kids and I am trying to head off any jealousy, fighting, sad he get one and I didn't type of stuff... like I saw when their cousin had his Switch when visiting a couple of months back. 

The big thing I am trying to figure out is will I need just one regular and maybe two lites for the other kids or 3 regular
Why not just start with one and then see how interested the two other kids are?
This is what I would do to avoid a giant purchase initially.

To answer you question @ChadstromaThe Lite and the regular will play games together locally in handheld if the games have that option (ex: MarioKart people can sit in a room together and have their own device racing against each other).

With anything "tech" things can get a bit more complex and answers get a bit more in depth if you start getting into it. Different games do different things, multiplayer is handled differently, etc.

There really isn't that much difference in cost from a Switch and Switch Lite... like $80 or so from what I see.... does it make sense to get all three their own full Switch?

I'd suggest one Switch (original, not Lite), games they can play together on a TV (e.g. Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Bomberman, Mario Party), and 3 Pro controllers.  The Pro controllers are just so much better than the JoyCons.

I'd suggest one Switch (original, not Lite), games they can play together on a TV (e.g. Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Bomberman, Mario Party), and 3 Pro controllers.  The Pro controllers are just so much better than the JoyCons.
Are there any games that Mommy and Daddy can and will want to play as a whole team?

Is there a handheld game that is decent for at least my little boy?

For peace of mind I’d suggest just getting them each their own switch (not the lite the regular one)

just not worth the potential argument to save $200 or whatever the difference is

id hold off on any pro controllers for now because with 3 switches it gives you 6 joycons which is more than enough for any multiplayer on one system (you may have to re-pair the controllers when they want to do that but pretty easy.  So let’s say kid 1 has a switch hooked up to tv they can use kid 2 controllers also for multiplayer, but you might have to sync them to that system and then sync back to the other later …not 100% on this though but it’s easy enough to do)

make the pro a potential gift down the road or something 

Are there any games that Mommy and Daddy can and will want to play as a whole team?

If you want to test your marriage I’d get a copy of Snipperclips…it’s a teamwork game but it will make you want to murder your family 

I think Mario party, Smash bros, games like that would be good for even the littlest of kids

This is a pretty good list for games: Link

Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Splatoon, Smash Bros are great for older kids and parents.

Mario Party, Mario Kart are staples, good for everyone to play. Can play these if you have zero skills :lol:

Overcooked is a fun multiplayer collaboration game. 

Mario Kart is good fun up to 4 players, for kids and adults alike.  Sega Genesis Classics is fun for adults if you're into nostalgia games from the 90s (e.g. Gain Ground, Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe).  Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a tougher one; kids 10+ or adults, only 1 player, though.

My son loved Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, which can be 1 or 2 players.  With 2 players, you can team up or fight each other.  There's also Lego DC Villians; same idea, DC instead of Marvel.  Most of the Lego ones are pretty good, if the kid is into the particular thing (Ninjago, Star Wars, etc.).

As noted above, if you go with multiple Switch consoles, don't bother with the additional controllers, as you'll have plenty that come with the consoles.  If you go with just the 1 console, the Pro controllers are better than the JoyCons.

On a separate note, if you keep an eye on Best Buy (and to a lesser extent, Walmart), you'll sometimes see particular games on a deep discount, especially between now and Christmas.  You can specifically search for Switch games on sale on the BB site.  I've managed to snag $45+ games for $20 on occasion.  Good way to stock up for Christmas.

Mario Kart is good fun up to 4 players, for kids and adults alike.  Sega Genesis Classics is fun for adults if you're into nostalgia games from the 90s (e.g. Gain Ground, Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe).  Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a tougher one; kids 10+ or adults, only 1 player, though.

My son loved Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, which can be 1 or 2 players.  With 2 players, you can team up or fight each other.  There's also Lego DC Villians; same idea, DC instead of Marvel.  Most of the Lego ones are pretty good, if the kid is into the particular thing (Ninjago, Star Wars, etc.).

As noted above, if you go with multiple Switch consoles, don't bother with the additional controllers, as you'll have plenty that come with the consoles.  If you go with just the 1 console, the Pro controllers are better than the JoyCons.

On a separate note, if you keep an eye on Best Buy (and to a lesser extent, Walmart), you'll sometimes see particular games on a deep discount, especially between now and Christmas.  You can specifically search for Switch games on sale on the BB site.  I've managed to snag $45+ games for $20 on occasion.  Good way to stock up for Christmas.
Good call. The Lego games are all pretty well made, not overly hard to play with kids and still fun for the adults.

I have a switch(PS5, xbox, gaming computers, etc) and 2 kids. I would recommend just a single system and then enough pro controllers for everyone to be able to play.

Overcooked is highly recommended although 5 and 8 year olds are probably too young.

Mario party and the other mario games are good as well.

Kirby is the best platformer for a 5 year old and a 10 year old would still have fun.

"Minecraft Dungeons" is a fun coop game that a 5 year old can play and a 10 year old would also enjoy. It is different than the traditional minecraft though.

If you want to play minecraft as a family a better bet would be everyone have their own system/computer and pay for a realms plus. Playing splitscreen is awful. I play minecraft with my kids, I play on the PS5 and my kids each play on gaming computers. I would not recommend Minecraft on the switch.

Do the regular and lite interact with each other?
Sure, but they can not play the same game on each device, at the same time, unless you buy the software twice... and it is fairly complicated for them to use the same software on both devices anyway. Spend some time looking into that on google... I still do not understand it completely, but we found that out the hard way. 

8 year old nephew loves Diablo, its the only game other than Minecraft he likes. I've bought him Mario Kart and a Lego game, he played them once.   I now go to the library and borrow switch games for him instead. 

My son plays Mario Kart and Minecraft.  That's pretty much it.  We've played up to 4 people on Mario Kart.  It's a blast.  I'll play Minecraft with him, but the screen borders on too small sometimes with the two of us.  I've never been able to figure out the online play, so we just play together.  His neighbor friends have done online on a server or something for Minecraft, but I haven't been able to get it to connect despite being reasonably computer literate.

I'd get the normal switch vs. the lite.  Playing it on the go is nice, but I honestly really like being able to dock it to a TV when I want a bigger screen.  He plays probably 2/3 of the time on a TV.  Dock at home, dock at my parents, and he's good to go.  

They really are pretty cool, well engineered consoles.  It's a really far cry from my old gameboy.

Sure, but they can not play the same game on each device, at the same time, unless you buy the software twice... and it is fairly complicated for them to use the same software on both devices anyway. Spend some time looking into that on google... I still do not understand it completely, but we found that out the hard way. 
Yep. Transferring a digital copy back and forth is a PITA but you can do it. 

Well, now that I am ready to pull the trigger on this for my 8yo’s Christmas, Amazon is out of stock. @Chadstromado you have any leads?
No, after ALL my research to figure out everything my wife decided she didn't want the kids to have a mobile game because she wants it to be 'controlled' with just having like an xbox or playstation. Which would have been nice to know before I spent all the time trying to figure this crap out. 

No, after ALL my research to figure out everything my wife decided she didn't want the kids to have a mobile game because she wants it to be 'controlled' with just having like an xbox or playstation. Which would have been nice to know before I spent all the time trying to figure this crap out. 
Well technically if you leave the switch docked all the time it's the same thing

Well, the Switch has been a big hit since Christmas. There’s one thing that has me completely shuked though. Apparently, profiles, miis, Nintendo accounts, Nintendo  online e-store accounts… these are all different things, and I’m having a ##### of a time trying to figure out what is what and what I need when.

Some stuff, like using online features, require some sort of subscription (which sucks). I went through all the hoops that it wanted me too – giving them my email, phone number, credit card, etc. so that I can play Mario Kart online, And I even got a family plan of some sort so my son can play online, but he has to use my profile, because his online account has to somehow be a satellite of my account since he is less than 13 years old.

So whatever. My profile is linked, but that means that if my son wants to play online, all the coins and unlockables go to my profile instead of his because mine is the only account that CAN be linked. I can’t link his (which I’m not even really sure is a separate and independent account), because I no longer remember what username and password I set up for who where. Or maybe I do remember and it won’t take it because it’s already attached to me. 

So I want ahead and “traded” profiles with my son, we renamed them, created new miis, and he just uses mine, which now looks like him. Of course, when he goes online, the mii that is generated seems to be a random thing that neither of us created.

Ultimately, I would like to play Mario kart online with my son in the same race. I think I am supposed to be able to do that with just one Switch and the two microscopic controllers, but I am so completely overwhelmed, I’ve pretty much figured the hell with ever trying to figure out how. 

I don’t expect anyone here to even attempt to untangle what I’m talking about, much less talk me through what I should do. I really just wanted to gripe. That is all.

Well, the Switch has been a big hit since Christmas. There’s one thing that has me completely shuked though. Apparently, profiles, miis, Nintendo accounts, Nintendo  online e-store accounts… these are all different things, and I’m having a ##### of a time trying to figure out what is what and what I need when.

Some stuff, like using online features, require some sort of subscription (which sucks). I went through all the hoops that it wanted me too – giving them my email, phone number, credit card, etc. so that I can play Mario Kart online, And I even got a family plan of some sort so my son can play online, but he has to use my profile, because his online account has to somehow be a satellite of my account since he is less than 13 years old.

So whatever. My profile is linked, but that means that if my son wants to play online, all the coins and unlockables go to my profile instead of his because mine is the only account that CAN be linked. I can’t link his (which I’m not even really sure is a separate and independent account), because I no longer remember what username and password I set up for who where. Or maybe I do remember and it won’t take it because it’s already attached to me. 

So I want ahead and “traded” profiles with my son, we renamed them, created new miis, and he just uses mine, which now looks like him. Of course, when he goes online, the mii that is generated seems to be a random thing that neither of us created.

Ultimately, I would like to play Mario kart online with my son in the same race. I think I am supposed to be able to do that with just one Switch and the two microscopic controllers, but I am so completely overwhelmed, I’ve pretty much figured the hell with ever trying to figure out how. 

I don’t expect anyone here to even attempt to untangle what I’m talking about, much less talk me through what I should do. I really just wanted to gripe. That is all.
I'm a tech guy by trade. Have been playing video games for 40+ years give or take. Now I am not completely up on all new tech etc but I too found Nintendo "online"  eco system to be confusing as hell.  We had an account to earn coins on the online store but couldn't link it back. My daughter turns 13 and couldn't transfer....it was all a jumbled mess imo

I have found all the online things to be absurd.

Nintendo have to deal with the crap you are discussing here.

XBox - I have 3 kids - over time each now has their own XBox, but they only let you share the online family account with one member - so I have to pay for two XBox accounts - and if all 3 wanted to play the same game, it looks like I need to buy at least two copies of the game.

Somehow they are making it work, but I have to say they do not make it easy.

Good thread here. My son is turning 7 and wants a Switch. Looks like the regular one with the Mario Kart 8 bundle is the way to go.

Do I need to get anything else immediately? Or with that will he and his little sister both be able to play on the TV? And I guess just my son on handheld mode?

Good thread here. My son is turning 7 and wants a Switch. Looks like the regular one with the Mario Kart 8 bundle is the way to go.

Do I need to get anything else immediately? Or with that will he and his little sister both be able to play on the TV? And I guess just my son on handheld mode?
You'll want an extra controller. Maybe get them both a Pro.

I would do the Nintendo Light for 7.
We got my 7 year old one. Had it and then got mad because he lost a game and put it in water. :mellow:

The only caveat on that is if you want to be able to put it through the TV or have him play directly with others on their Switch which is where the Light is deficient from the others on.

Otherwise, I would go with the light and then you can upgrade him in a couple of years if need be.

You'll want an extra controller. Maybe get them both a Pro.

So if the two of of them are playing on the TV, would one use the two that come with Switch as one, and then buy one for the other kid? Or would this be a 3rd controller? Shameful, but this is new to me.

I would do the Nintendo Light for 7.
We got my 7 year old one. Had it and then got mad because he lost a game and put it in water. :mellow:

The only caveat on that is if you want to be able to put it through the TV or have him play directly with others on their Switch which is where the Light is deficient from the others on.

Otherwise, I would go with the light and then you can upgrade him in a couple of years if need be.

I think I like the TV option, so the regular model would be it. Your 7 year old dunking it does make me fearful though. He has definitely dropped his kindle more than one should.

Users who are viewing this thread