What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need some more daughter advice- this time from fellow atheists (1 Viewer)

Again, I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. I'm going to let this play out. I'm not sure, at this point, that I want to discuss it with her. If she wants to discuss it with me, fine. But in my entire life I have never put myself in the position of trying to convince a religious person as to why I am an atheist, (at least outside of the internet; here anything goes) and I really prefer not to start with my daughter. As some people have noted, religion really comes down to faith anyhow, and how can one argue faith?
Why does discussing it with her have to be about convincing and arguing? It can't just be about intrigue and learning?

I'm also not comfortable at this point with the idea of going with her to the church. I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. I don't want to giver her the idea that I'd be open to becoming Christian, nor do I want to appear disapproving. The church seems religious (along the lines of a Calvary Chapel) but it doesn't seem cultish.
The purpose, as suggested by some earlier in the thread, is so you can get an idea of what she's experiencing since you expressed concern about what she's experiencing. Seems odd to express concern and then not be willing to see for yourself what's happening.

Yeah I agree with what all of you are saying. I knew I would. Still it's troubling. There's a part of me that feels like she's being brainwashed here, not too much different than if she had joined a cult.
Show her some George Carlin clips

I'm only half joking.

I'm trying to think of another example where a group of people could bring in a naïve kid, give them candy, play games with them, etc. and then a couple weeks later the kid believes exactly as the group of people does. this isn't brainwashing?

if one or more of my neighbors invited all of the kids over on Tuesday nights for candy, movies and prepared meals for homeless people, but then a month later all of the neighborhood kids are singing the praises of *insert mythical creature here*, lets say Allah in this example, most parents here would be fine with this? I don't think I would.

I MIGHT have let my kid go to the bible study, but I'd have given them the heads up first on the schpeal (sp?) they would be getting. enjoy the candy and games but question everything, at least in your head

I'm trying to think of another example where a group of people could bring in a naïve kid, give them candy, play games with them, etc. and then a couple weeks later the kid believes exactly as the group of people does. this isn't brainwashing?
:goodposting: Not to mention "if you don't believe what we do and if you don't act like we do...you'll be tortured for eternity."

if one or more of my neighbors invited all of the kids over on Tuesday nights for candy, movies and prepared meals for homeless people, but then a month later all of the neighborhood kids are singing the praises of *insert mythical creature here*, lets say Allah in this example, most parents here would be fine with this? I don't think I would.

I MIGHT have let my kid go to the bible study, but I'd have given them the heads up first on the schpeal (sp?) they would be getting. enjoy the candy and games but question everything, at least in your head
Yeah, I'd throw up a big red flag if this happened too. Are you under the impression that this is how it works?

Yeah I agree with what all of you are saying. I knew I would. Still it's troubling. There's a part of me that feels like she's being brainwashed here, not too much different than if she had joined a cult.
Of course it's brainwashing - the techniques you described are textbook. But there's nothing you can do but be supportive and hope she doesn't get carried away with it.

I'm also not comfortable at this point with the idea of going with her to the church. I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. I don't want to giver her the idea that I'd be open to becoming Christian, nor do I want to appear disapproving. The church seems religious (along the lines of a Calvary Chapel) but it doesn't seem cultish.
The purpose, as suggested by some earlier in the thread, is so you can get an idea of what she's experiencing since you expressed concern about what she's experiencing. Seems odd to express concern and then not be willing to see for yourself what's happening.
I'd go just to avoid the "YOU DON'T GO THERE SO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, run off to her room and slam the door" reaction.

Again, I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. I'm going to let this play out. I'm not sure, at this point, that I want to discuss it with her. If she wants to discuss it with me, fine. But in my entire life I have never put myself in the position of trying to convince a religious person as to why I am an atheist, (at least outside of the internet; here anything goes) and I really prefer not to start with my daughter. As some people have noted, religion really comes down to faith anyhow, and how can one argue faith?
Why does discussing it with her have to be about convincing and arguing? It can't just be about intrigue and learning?

1. Because I'm not a Christian, don't believe in Christianity, and I'm afraid I couldn't listen to it for a long period of time without arguing against it.

2. Still not sure how that helps. What if I don't like what she's experiencing? I'm 99% sure that I won't. How does my disapproval help anything?

I can't understand the "burn in hell in eternity" threat either. Seems like eventually you'd get used to burning and maybe even grow to enjoy the sensation of burning. As an Earthly example, I've owned Christian Michael and been burned for what seems like an eternity and eventually I've grown to actually like it and can't imagine not having Michael on my roster to burn me.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

1. Because I'm not a Christian, don't believe in Christianity, and I'm afraid I couldn't listen to it for a long period of time without arguing against it.

2. Still not sure how that helps. What if I don't like what she's experiencing? I'm 99% sure that I won't. How does my disapproval help anything?
I know you're probably pissed at me so I don't expect an answer, but generally speaking....how much time have you spent in the theology of the Bible and what did that time look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honest question for those who are Christian who have responded in this thread:

What would you do if your daughter's best friend was Muslim, and she decided to visit a mosque, and then she came home one day and informed you that she had become a Muslim? Would you let it go, discuss it with her without arguing, visit the mosque yourself? Would you carry out the same advice you have offered me?

Agnostic (UU) here, and we tell my two daughters the same thing. If you mean it, you have to let her explore. Make sure she isnt being improperly influenced, but give her the freedom to decide for herself.
What would you regard as improper influence?
In terms of Christianity, a church is one where Jesus is the center, a cult is where the dude running the church is.In short, anyway.
Christianity is a cult. The one running it is Paul. He died, but his words are still running it.

What would you do if your daughter's best friend was Muslim, and she decided to visit a mosque, and then she came home one day and informed you that she had become a Muslim? Would you let it go, discuss it with her without arguing, visit the mosque yourself? Would you carry out the same advice you have offered me?
I wouldn't discuss the theology until I understood it. I'd follow all the advice I gave you because it's my belief that I am not in control of my child's heart. They are.

ETA: That means, I'd go with them, I'd learn about it with them.

I think once a kid turns 18, you need to be at peace with whatever human you've created and send her out into the world to learn from her own mistakes. 13 is light years from 18 though, and this is a crucial period of her development. And your work as a parent is still very much in progress. I believe if you have strong reservations about how she's being indoctrinated, you have a duty to at least (carefully, tactfully) present your own beliefs. She probably wonders why you're an atheist. You can explain it in a calm, rational, non-judgemental manner. Then she hopefully won't try to convert you, and she'll have another point of view to consider.

It's very similar IMO to things like sex, alcohol and cigarettes -- if you're silent, you're leaving ambiguity. Maybe it's okay if my parents don't bother talking about it. Kids want guidance and boundaries.

I know you're probably pissed at me so I don't expect an answer, but generally speaking....how much time have you spent in the theology of the Bible and did that time look like?
Fair question:

1. As a child I attended Hebrew school up to the time of my Bar Mitzvah. I studied the Torah and Talmud, and I think I'm fairly well up on Jewish theology (which would, of course, primarily be related to the Old Testament, though Hillel, a Jewish teacher who was heavily influential on Jesus' teaching, is pretty prominent.)

It's been a lot years, though.

2. In college I studied Christian theology from a secular, historical perspective, in several classes. I have since read many books on this subject, but they've been typically from an atheist, critical point of view.

3. I'm going to guess this is true of every atheist/agnostic/non-Christian reading this: throughout my life I have been subject to conversations and confrontations with religious Christians, especially evangelical Protestants, who have attempted to convert me either through love, logic, or fear, or a combination of the three.

And I'm not pissed at you, Commish. I found some of your comments a little patronizing (actually a LOT) but I'm enjoying the conversation anyhow. And I'm trying to understand you better.

I know you're probably pissed at me so I don't expect an answer, but generally speaking....how much time have you spent in the theology of the Bible and did that time look like?
Fair question:

1. As a child I attended Hebrew school up to the time of my Bar Mitzvah. I studied the Torah and Talmud, and I think I'm fairly well up on Jewish theology (which would, of course, primarily be related to the Old Testament, though Hillel, a Jewish teacher who was heavily influential on Jesus' teaching, is pretty prominent.)

2. In college I studied Christian theology from a secular, historical perspective, in several classes. I have since read many books on this subject, but they've been typically from an atheist, critical point of view.

3. I'm going to guess this is true of every atheist/agnostic/non-Christian reading this: throughout my life I have been subject to conversations and confrontations with religious Christians, especially evangelical Protestants, who have attempted to convert me either through love, logic, or fear, or a combination of the three.
So really no actual study of the theology on your own, reading coming to your own conclusions? It sounds like everything you've exposed yourself to (at least in terms of the New Testament) has been through another individual? Is that a fair thing to say?

And I'm not pissed at you, Commish. I found some of your comments a little patronizing (actually a LOT) but I'm enjoying the conversation anyhow. And I'm trying to understand you better.
Don't mean to be patronizing. When it comes to this stuff, I'm blunt and to the point in a way that I think should be beneficial to you because if you're not all in on studying, it's never going to make sense. It's not merely an exercise in academics. The Bible isn't an answer book.

I think once a kid turns 18, you need to be at peace with whatever human you've created and send her out into the world to learn from her own mistakes. 13 is light years from 18 though, and this is a crucial period of her development. And your work as a parent is still very much in progress. I believe if you have strong reservations about how she's being indoctrinated, you have a duty to at least (carefully, tactfully) present your own beliefs. She probably wonders why you're an atheist. You can explain it in a calm, rational, non-judgemental manner. Then she hopefully won't try to convert you, and she'll have another point of view to consider.

It's very similar IMO to things like sex, alcohol and cigarettes -- if you're silent, you're leaving ambiguity. Maybe it's okay if my parents don't bother talking about it. Kids want guidance and boundaries.
Is it?

I don't want my daughters smoking or doing drugs. I don't want them having sex at their age. I'm not sure what I can or would do to prevent these things if they ever come up, but I don't believe I would have the same attitude as I have in this situation: just let it play out, see what happens, etc.

Fair question:

So really no actual study of the theology on your own, reading coming to your own conclusions? It sounds like everything you've exposed yourself to (at least in terms of the New Testament) has been through another individual? Is that a fair thing to say?
Yes. Are you implying that the only way to properly understand the New Testament is to read it yourself, without the help of interpretation?

Hi Tim,

I know you and I have butted heads over the years... but for your daughter's sake, please consider my opinion that your concerns are valid. I won't share anymore than that unless you ask.

Fair question:

Yes. Are you implying that the only way to properly understand the New Testament is to read it yourself, without the help of interpretation?
Not at all. The only way you're going to understand it is via prayer, reading and fellowship with others. The "fellowship with others" part takes many forms including other interpretations (even those that critically question the theology). What I typically find from the sources you have listed is that they themselves create a false narrative around the theology, then they proceed to attack that strawman as if that's the message being presented in scripture. It can be very dangerous, so if you're going to read those sources, I'd advise reading about the topic in the Bible and coming up with an opinion THEN going to see what others say.

Don't mean to be patronizing. When it comes to this stuff, I'm blunt and to the point in a way that I think should be beneficial to you because if you're not all in on studying, it's never going to make sense. It's not merely an exercise in academics. The Bible isn't an answer book.
I stated to you my firm belief that a person could achieve positive results from being religious, or simply having a belief in God, whether or not there actually IS a God. (Which is basically the same argument that Jayrod made when he stated that Christianity could be positive even from an atheistic perspective.) Rather than simply disagree with that POV, you wrote that it indicated that I am uninformed about Christianity and don't really understand it. That's what I found patronizing.

Not at all. The only way you're going to understand it is via prayer, reading and fellowship with others. The "fellowship with others" part takes many forms including other interpretations (even those that critically question the theology). What I typically find from the sources you have listed is that they themselves create a false narrative around the theology, then they proceed to attack that strawman as if that's the message being presented in scripture. It can be very dangerous, so if you're going to read those sources, I'd advise reading about the topic in the Bible and coming up with an opinion THEN going to see what others say.
I was raised Christian, went to church every Sunday, read the Bible cover to cover, and came to the conclusion it's :bs:

Hi Tim,

I know you and I have butted heads over the years... but for your daughter's sake, please consider my opinion that your concerns are valid. I won't share anymore than that unless you ask.
Thanks. I butt heads with practically everyone- so what?

I agree, of course, that my concerns are valid, but there doesn't seem to be much for me to do other than let it go and hope for the best. Do you have contradictory advice?

Fair question:

I haven't listed any sources.

Hi Tim,

Thanks. I butt heads with practically everyone- so what?I agree, of course, that my concerns are valid, but there doesn't seem to be much for me to do other than let it go and hope for the best. Do you have contradictory advice?
I wish I did. I kind of agree that she should be free to pursue what she wants to pursue. But my two issues with that are: 1) she's not an adult yet, so perhaps that needs to be exercised within reason; and 2) it doesn't sound like she pursued this. She was recruited.

The most passionate Christians are the ones that were introduced to Christianity when they were most vulnerable. They either committed to it very young, or they were dealing with a huge emotional issue in their life, and Christianity helped them get out of it. The person who commits to it soundly and logically is rare.

ETA: love for another (spouse, girl/boy friend, parent, etc...) is another reason they commit to it.

I stated to you my firm belief that a person could achieve positive results from being religious, or simply having a belief in God, whether or not there actually IS a God. (Which is basically the same argument that Jayrod made when he stated that Christianity could be positive even from an atheistic perspective.) Rather than simply disagree with that POV, you wrote that it indicated that I am uninformed about Christianity and don't really understand it. That's what I found patronizing.
Only because you "rejected the premise". That tells me (and you have since validated) that you aren't into the theology. I see nothing helpful you could provide your daughter in a theological discussion just like I would be of no help explaining the theology of satanism. Now, if you were suggesting that you were just going to talk about her experiences on a social level, I'm all in....I responded above that if my child was deciding to go with a Muslim friend, I'd absolutely go. I couldn't contribute theologically, but certainly could socially. If that was your point, I missed it and apologize for being unclear.

Fair question:

I haven't listed any sources.
Fair enough....I was inferring sources like Dawkins etc from previous threads etc). I was wrong to assume guys like that were who you were talking about.

Look Commish, though I've read some books on the subject as I've stated, I don't really get into Christian theology because I don't believe in God in the first place. That's a separate discussion than the particulars of the New Testament.

As regards the New Testament, I actually like a lot of what Christ has to say about life on Earth, if I understand him correctly. As I mentioned, he repeats several of the positive messages of the Talmud: love your neighbor, try not to judge, help the needy, be a good person, be happy, try to do what's right, etc. I have tried to instill these morals into my daughter, and if these are reinforced by her exposure to a Christian church, then that's all for the good as far as I'm concerned.

What I dislike is the Calvinistic tone of some Christians: everyone is a sinner, good works mean nothing, you are doomed unless you accept Christ into your heart, but even if you do you might be doomed anyhow, etc. And I've noticed that despite Christ's discussion of not judging, there's a heck of a lot of judgment that goes on.

Look Commish, though I've read some books on the subject as I've stated, I don't really get into Christian theology because I don't believe in God in the first place. That's a separate discussion than the particulars of the New Testament.

As regards the New Testament, I actually like a lot of what Christ has to say about life on Earth, if I understand him correctly. As I mentioned, he repeats several of the positive messages of the Talmud: love your neighbor, try not to judge, help the needy, be a good person, be happy, try to do what's right, etc. I have tried to instill these morals into my daughter, and if these are reinforced by her exposure to a Christian church, then that's all for the good as far as I'm concerned.

What I dislike is the Calvinistic tone of some Christians: everyone is a sinner, good works mean nothing, you are doomed unless you accept Christ into your heart, but even if you do you might be doomed anyhow, etc. And I've noticed that despite Christ's discussion of not judging, there's a heck of a lot of judgment that goes on.
Of course....sin is runs rampant in all of us throughout the earth. I've never heard this though :oldunsure:

With regard to Dawkins, I have read him, but he makes a point not to discuss Christian theology. He's not one of those guys who breaks down the Bible and attacks passages.

On the issue I have raised in this thread, Dawkins can't help me, because I find him to be extreme. He regards the teaching of Christianity to children and teenagers as a form of child abuse. He would, I am quite sure, instruct me to forbid my daughter from ever attending Bible study the same as I would forbid her from attending a weekly meeting of child molesters. That's what he thinks, and it's way out there for me.

Of course....sin is runs rampant in all of us throughout the earth. I've never heard this though :oldunsure:
You've never heard of Predestination?

The church seems to be one of these really religious ones.
Man, I hate those ones.
In my experience, non-denomination churches tend to be "Bible believing" churches. Which means they typically take a very literal, black/white interpretation of the Bible. I don't know where The Commish goes to church, or what his church's doctrine is, but from what I've read in his posts, his church and/or doctrine would likely be very different than the church Tim's daughter is going to. I probably wouldn't be too concerned if Tim's daughter was attending The Commish's church, but the little he has shared about the church his daughter is going to has quickly raised red flags in my mind.

Man, I hate those ones.
:D A few people have commented about this so I guess I should clarify that further. Of the Protestant churches, the more traditional ones (Methodists, Presbyterian, Lutheran, even Baptist) seem to be more "establishment" than these newer non-denominational churches. The latter seem a lot more- enthusiastic, if that makes any sense. Not sure I'm getting across what I mean, here.

Tim, I don't really think there is much to be afraid of, and the best course of action has to be to just let her discover herself. Do what you can to teach her acceptance of others and I think religion can amplify that. I grew up Catholic and am now atheist/agnostic, but my church growing up did not preach what these religious nuts in the media are saying. You seem like a good guy and are always very tolerant of others, so I am sure that same philosophy will rub off.

Man, I hate those ones.
:D A few people have commented about this so I guess I should clarify that further. Of the Protestant churches, the more traditional ones (Methodists, Presbyterian, Lutheran, even Baptist) seem to be more "establishment" than these newer non-denominational churches. The latter seem a lot more- enthusiastic, if that makes any sense. Not sure I'm getting across what I mean, here.
I completely understand what you are saying, and will be nervous for my kids when they start exploring religion for the same reasons.

Is it?I don't want my daughters smoking or doing drugs. I don't want them having sex at their age. I'm not sure what I can or would do to prevent these things if they ever come up, but I don't believe I would have the same attitude as I have in this situation: just let it play out, see what happens, etc.
This is precisely my point...at 13 I would assume you've already talked at length about drugs, alcohol, smoking, sex, etc. No, you can't stop her from doing those things, but if you've given her the information in an open and respectful manner and left the door open to talk if she's ever confused or feels pressured, then you can rest assured you've done all you can. And if she's smart and a good kid, hopefully she will make the right decisions.Here she's already gone down a path you don't agree with. You're concerned about her getting brainwashed, and becoming judgmental, and pressuring the rest of the family to attend this church that teaches things you don't agree with. I don't understand why you wouldn't talk to her about your beliefs so that she hears another point of view at least. Maybe you can't talk her out of it. You're just arming her with information and showing her that the things she's being taught are not universally accepted truths. And if it were my daughter I would certainly warn her about things like coercion from adults in the church, and the corruption and abuse that takes place. These are very real concerns imo. How much do you know about the pastor, the staff and the volunteers who you are entrusting with your daughter's safety?

I agree with the recommendations to let her find her own way, however I disagree with your decision not to visit the church. You need to check out the church to get enough information so you can make the determination on if you need to interfere with her decision to attend, that's your duty as a parent. If you're afraid that would give her the impression then talk to her about it before had in very stark terms, i.e. "I'm going with you to the church to make sure it's a safe environment and to ensure that you're not getting involved in a cult".

I would discuss it with her. I'd guess there might be some arguing at some point, but I wouldn't necessarily enter the discussion with "arguing" as a main goal. I'd certainly visit the mosque with her on multiple occasions.

With regard to Dawkins, I have read him, but he makes a point not to discuss Christian theology. He's not one of those guys who breaks down the Bible and attacks passages.

On the issue I have raised in this thread, Dawkins can't help me, because I find him to be extreme. He regards the teaching of Christianity to children and teenagers as a form of child abuse. He would, I am quite sure, instruct me to forbid my daughter from ever attending Bible study the same as I would forbid her from attending a weekly meeting of child molesters. That's what he thinks, and it's way out there for me.
For someone who prides himself on his logic and presumably the logic that he has passed on this his daughter, I'm surprised Dawkins would be filled with so much fear of his daughter attending church.

My advice to you, Tim, is to trust your daughter to be able to differentiate fantasy from reality. And if she does become religious it's not the end of the world - it'll either make her happy or she'll realize that it's a fraud later.

Not sure I see the problem here. One of two things is going to happen:

1. There is no God and she'll lose interest (you have no interest).

2. There is a God and you'll see a remarkable change in her heart and wonder if there isn't something to this God thing.

Either way, your child is going to be fine. Right?
If your kid needs religion to be a better person you ####ing failed as a parent.
no one said anything about "being a better person" but I agree 100%. If you're relying on religion to do that, you have problems.
What if they're problems that religion can solve?
Like?
Unless it was you personally, you have no idea. I didnt go through it personally myself, but I have to trust the thousands of people that claim God saved them from addiction after nothing else worked. When you have a guy like Brian "Head" Welch who was addicted to meth and suddenly quits and he gives credit to Jesus, how do explain that? Call him a liar?
I agree you have to let her make her own choices but be prepared to end up with a kooky daughter that lets her religion completely influence her beliefs and not be open minded about anything in the future
So it's better to have a kid that is never exposed to religion? How can you then expect your kid to be "open-minded?"

So it's better to have a kid that is never exposed to religion? How can you then expect your kid to be "open-minded?"
When my daughter does learn about religion and wants to know more I will take her to a Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. churches.

Not sure I see the problem here. One of two things is going to happen:

1. There is no God and she'll lose interest (you have no interest).

2. There is a God and you'll see a remarkable change in her heart and wonder if there isn't something to this God thing.

Either way, your child is going to be fine. Right?
If your kid needs religion to be a better person you ####ing failed as a parent.
no one said anything about "being a better person" but I agree 100%. If you're relying on religion to do that, you have problems.
What if they're problems that religion can solve?
Like?
Unless it was you personally, you have no idea. I didnt go through it personally myself, but I have to trust the thousands of people that claim God saved them from addiction after nothing else worked. When you have a guy like Brian "Head" Welch who was addicted to meth and suddenly quits and he gives credit to Jesus, how do explain that? Call him a liar?
I actually know that guy. True story.

He wasn't wrapped all that tight before he started drugs.

Along the lines of a "Breaking Amish" reality TV show you could consider pitching a "Breaking Athiest" reality TV show.

Users who are viewing this thread