What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall Stabbed, in Intensive Care (1 Viewer)

From beat writer Omar Kelly:

Just got the police report, which labels it a "domestic violence" case. Brandon Marshall claims he slipped on a vase. His wife claims self D
Wow, I wonder if he lied in the police report.. If so, and if his wife contends that it was indeed a stabbing in self defense, this is going to be pretty bad for Marshall.
From my experience (6-8 cases involving SD which inflicted serious injuries)'self-defense' is waaaay subjective and often needs to be plead argued in a court of law for the cops to allow for it.Also self defense is usually only allowed when in like-kind response. Legalese, essentially you can only use force equivalent to the force being inflicted upon you. This for her to respond with a knife, Marshall would have had to have been threatening her with deadly force (a gun/knife/bat etc) for that to work (possibly a reason the cops arrested her and didn't buy her SD story?
He is likely twice her size (or better) and solid muscle. That is likely enough reason that she wouldn't be able to stop him without a weapon.Sorry, I think you're wrong here.

He could have been shielding his wife from being arrested OR shielding himself from the conduct policy, or both.

Wow, I wonder if he lied in the police report.. If so, and if his wife contends that it was indeed a stabbing in self defense, this is going to be pretty bad for Marshall.
From the Palm Beach Post's Ben Volin:
Marshall initially tried to shield his wife from responsibility. When officers arrived at his Southwest Ranches home around 7:40 p.m., Marshall said in a sworn statement that the injury occurred when he slipped and fell on a broken glass vase. But officers did not find any blood in the immediate area to substantiate his claim.
meh. False statements protecting your wife won't bat an eye unless charged. I think most understand that. Plus marital privilege, etc might make all this eventually go away, depending on fla DV laws.Either way, it won't look good in court, or to the league.. False statements ruin your credibility.
Really? A false statement made to a 3rd party pertaining to a crime against the marriage, could fall under marital privilege? Not in my court. (I'm assuming things here, as we all seem to be)
each st. is different, but in most a hubby/wife can't be compelled to testify against the other.
Which is why I doubt we will ever know the objective truth.

He could have been shielding his wife from being arrested OR shielding himself from the conduct policy, or both.

Marshall initially tried to shield his wife from responsibility. When officers arrived at his Southwest Ranches home around 7:40 p.m., Marshall said in a sworn statement that the injury occurred when he slipped and fell on a broken glass vase. But officers did not find any blood in the immediate area to substantiate his claim.
Either way, it won't look good in court, or to the league.. False statements ruin your credibility.
meh. False statements protecting your wife won't bat an eye unless charged. I think most understand that. Plus marital privilege, etc might make all this eventually go away, depending on fla DV laws.
The false statements were likely more geared towards protecting himself from domestic violence charges.

His wife doesn't seem to have had problem telling the police the truth, why would he lie about it?

I doubt seriously his first instinct was to protect her, was more likely himself.

She said she was defending herself against him, he has already lied about the incident, and assaulted women in the past. I believe her..

Because he likely worked her over. Any mugshots of her yet, I'm sure she has a broken nose, busted lip and black eyes.

Obviously his health is the number 1 concern here...and I'm glad it looks like he's "ok" from the initial reports. but....looking ahead Im curious. If there are charges filed against him by his girlfriend for domestic violence could he lose a whole year to suspension once he's healthy? or since there is a lock out and no union contract is a suspension unenforceable?
why would he get suspended for being stabbed? No one suspended Paul Pierce when he was stabbed 11 times and had a bottle broken over his head. That said if his wife stabbed him, night be time for nomarriage.com
:rolleyes: Blame the victim down? and yes her muggie is in the PBP link, and she looks fine, though pissed at being arrestd.http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2011/04/23/reports-dolphins-wr-brandon-marshall-hospitalized-after-stabbing/
fine and pissed? Looks like swollen nose and puffy eyes..

I keep trying to think what would make a wife take a knife to her husband but can't come up with anything.
"I'm leaving you""I cheated on you""I know you are seeing someone else so I'm leaving you""I slept with your sister"

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep trying to think what would make a wife take a knife to her husband but can't come up with anything.
You can't be married,1) Husband beats and/or tries to beat her or her children. (This is number 1 by a long shot, btw) 2) Cheating3) Serious lying (the type that sends them from rich to homeless)

Because he likely worked her over. Any mugshots of her yet, I'm sure she has a broken nose, busted lip and black eyes.

Obviously his health is the number 1 concern here...and I'm glad it looks like he's "ok" from the initial reports.

but....looking ahead Im curious. If there are charges filed against him by his girlfriend for domestic violence could he lose a whole year to suspension once he's healthy? or since there is a lock out and no union contract is a suspension unenforceable?
why would he get suspended for being stabbed? No one suspended Paul Pierce when he was stabbed 11 times and had a bottle broken over his head. That said if his wife stabbed him, night be time for nomarriage.com
:rolleyes: Blame the victim down? and yes her muggie is in the PBP link, and she looks fine, though pissed at being arrestd.

http://blogs.palmbea...after-stabbing/
Of course it does.

meh. False statements protecting your wife won't bat an eye unless charged. I think most understand that. Plus marital privilege, etc might make all this eventually go away, depending on fla DV laws.Either way, it won't look good in court, or to the league.. False statements ruin your credibility.
Really? A false statement made to a 3rd party pertaining to a crime against the marriage, could fall under marital privilege? Not in my court. (I'm assuming things here, as we all seem to be)
each st. is different, but in most a hubby/wife can't be compelled to testify against the other.
understood, and I don't know Florida law. In my jurisdiction, the privilege is lost for crimes against the marriage. DV would apply, as does adultery (usually comes up when the husband rapes another woman).

Now that we know Marshall's going to make a full recovery, let's discuss the most pertinent issue at hand... Has this incident affected Marshall's worth in dynasty? And if so, how much? :popcorn:
Speaking of troubles..... Am I confusing your name with the guy who was um... having trouble keeping his nose clean?

'coolnerd said:
'BRONG said:
You can't be married,1) Husband beats and/or tries to beat her or her children. (This is number 1 by a long shot, btw) 2) Cheating3) Serious lying (the type that sends them from rich to homeless)
:shrug: I am married and know the only way my wife is assaulting me with a knife is under the 1st situation. But she's far more rational than I suspect his wife is.

'coolnerd said:
'BRONG said:
:shrug: I am married and know the only way my wife is assaulting me with a knife is under the 1st situation. But she's far more rational than I suspect his wife is.
That's why I said two and three are pretty distant, but I really don't want you trying out two and three to test the theory :unsure:

I remember drafting Marshall in his rookie season with like the 26th pick because I heard he was "baby TO" well good grief is all I get from him and he certainly has lived up to the nickname.

Wish I had traded him away when he was still in Denver and worth a ton. I can't believe I actually traded for him in another dynasty league last year.

'Carolina Hustler said:
'Hipple said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
'Fear & Loathing said:
From beat writer Omar Kelly:

Just got the police report, which labels it a "domestic violence" case. Brandon Marshall claims he slipped on a vase. His wife claims self D
From my experience (6-8 cases involving SD which inflicted serious injuries)'self-defense' is waaaay subjective and often needs to be plead argued in a court of law for the cops to allow for it.Also self defense is usually only allowed when in like-kind response. Legalese, essentially you can only use force equivalent to the force being inflicted upon you. This for her to respond with a knife, Marshall would have had to have been threatening her with deadly force (a gun/knife/bat etc) for that to work (possibly a reason the cops arrested her and didn't buy her SD story?
He is likely twice her size (or better) and solid muscle. That is likely enough reason that she wouldn't be able to stop him without a weapon.Sorry, I think you're wrong here.
:lmao: No statute analysis, no google, just a 'carolina hustler' feel for what self defense means....I'm not wrong. In extreme circumstances (ie mma fighter, pro boxer etc, their 'skills' can rise to the level of deadly force, but just because he is a bigger pro athlete doesn't mean she gets to stab to word off a domestic violence-like attack unless it is with a deadly weapon etc.Under the law, unless she can show that Marshall was about to rape her or something (the only time that deadly force can be used without the presence of corresponding deadly force according to this as a blade/knife is deadly force.
1998 FLORIDA STATUTESCHAPTER 776JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE776.012 Use of force in defense of person.--A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.History.--s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1188, ch. 97-102.776.031 Use of force in defense of others.--A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.History.--s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1189, ch. 97-102.776.041 Use of force by aggressor.--The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or (b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.History.--s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1190, ch. 97-102.

'Carolina Hustler said:
'Hipple said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
'Multiple Scores said:

'Fear & Loathing said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
Either way, it won't look good in court, or to the league.. False statements ruin your credibility.
meh. False statements protecting your wife won't bat an eye unless charged. I think most understand that. Plus marital privilege, etc might make all this eventually go away, depending on fla DV laws.
The false statements were likely more geared towards protecting himself from domestic violence charges.

His wife doesn't seem to have had problem telling the police the truth, why would he lie about it?

I doubt seriously his first instinct was to protect her, was more likely himself.

She said she was defending herself against him, he has already lied about the incident, and assaulted women in the past. I believe her..
:confused: did you read the article? the FS were in protecting his wife from being arrested. In keeping this 'in house' so as not to involve them he tried to say that he cut himself instead of that she stabbed him, and they saw right through that crappy story. But where do you read that he was trying to hide DV. She even said "i stabbed him in self defense' and The cops didn't believe that either, b/c if they did they'd have arrested both of them. Clearly the cops felt that she was the aggressor and marshall was the victim. That his lie was only 'covering for his wife' is likely the only reason they didn't charge him with obstruction etc, as they apparently understood a DV victim doing that as a first reaction.

'Carolina Hustler said:
'Hipple said:
'Multiple Scores said:

'Hipple said:
'Cowtippers said:
Obviously his health is the number 1 concern here...and I'm glad it looks like he's "ok" from the initial reports.

but....looking ahead Im curious. If there are charges filed against him by his girlfriend for domestic violence could he lose a whole year to suspension once he's healthy? or since there is a lock out and no union contract is a suspension unenforceable?
:rolleyes: Blame the victim down? and yes her muggie is in the PBP link, and she looks fine, though pissed at being arrestd.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2011/04/23/reports-dolphins-wr-brandon-marshall-hospitalized-after-stabbing/
:rolleyes: Unless he also beat her up right before the wedding photos, cuz she looks pretty much the same here

'FUBAR said:
'Hipple said:
'FUBAR said:
'Hipple said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
'Multiple Scores said:

'Fear & Loathing said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
understood, and I don't know Florida law. In my jurisdiction, the privilege is lost for crimes against the marriage. DV would apply, as does adultery (usually comes up when the husband rapes another woman).
it is a weird set of laws that vary greatly. In some places married cannot testify against each other, in some its a waivable privilege (like here in ga, it can be used but only if both parties want to) I do know for a fact that many times ia have had married defendants and their spouse has wanted to not prosecute. Only in one jurisdiction did they really raise hell about it, in most they just dismiss the charges as 'spouse declined to prosecute'. :shrug: cappys in fla. maybe somebody pry him from baseballtangent

What's the bottom line....how many game suspension coming as a result? I'm guessing at least 6....off base?

So, on a fantasy football related note:

Those that are saying he's going to get suspended, you realize that he's going to have to be at least charged with something, right? Now, that's definitely possible but, keep in mind, the officers didn't have anything at the scene that warranted arresting him or charging him with anything. That's going to have to change for him to even be considered being suspended. I know Goodell has his own "court" that he presides over, but the arguments are usually about the fact that someone was "only" charged with a crime and not even convicted. Marshall hasn't even been charged.

Unless she presents some overwhelming evidence contrary to what the officers saw when they arrived, I don't see Marshall even getting charged with anything. Absent that, he's not going to miss any time on the field.

What's the bottom line....how many game suspension coming as a result? I'm guessing at least 6....off base?
:wall: At this point it has been determined by the police that he is the victim. Why are you speculating he would get suspended for that? :shrug:

Those that are saying he's going to get suspended, you realize that he's going to at least be charged with something, right? Now, that's definitely possible but, keep in mind, the officers didn't have anything at the scene that warranted arresting him or charging him with anything. That's going to have to change for him to even be considered being suspended. I know Goodell has his own "court" that he presides over, but the arguments are usually about the fact that someone was "only" charged with a crime and not even convicted. Marshall hasn't even been charged.

Unless she presents some overwhelming evidence contrary to what the officers saw when they arrived, I don't see Marshall even getting charged with anything. Absent that, he's not going to miss any time on the field.
:thumbup: This. Thank you for adding a logical take to the sea of speculators..seems obvious that if the police didn't find reason at the seen of the crime (marks on her), the chance of overwhelming evidence is almost impossible. Then again, obvious seems to avoid many people on these boards.

Those that are saying he's going to get suspended, you realize that he's going to at least be charged with something, right? Now, that's definitely possible but, keep in mind, the officers didn't have anything at the scene that warranted arresting him or charging him with anything. That's going to have to change for him to even be considered being suspended. I know Goodell has his own "court" that he presides over, but the arguments are usually about the fact that someone was "only" charged with a crime and not even convicted. Marshall hasn't even been charged.

:thumbup: This. Thank you for adding a logical take to the sea of speculators..seems obvious that if the police didn't find reason at the seen of the crime (marks on her), the chance of overwhelming evidence is almost impossible. Then again, obvious seems to avoid many people on these boards.
:goodposting: Actually reading the reports seems to be unnecessary to the 'enlightened' amongst us.

:wall: At this point it has been determined by the police that he is the victim. Why are you speculating he would get suspended for that? :shrug:
I guess I'm just assuming after all his shenanigans in the past, something is going to pop up with regards to wrongdoing. I guess I've just had this guy so long on my team that I'm assuming the worst. Maybe I am off base, but this guy's issues are constant, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all the facts aren't out yet with this incident....just thinking the league would hammer down on him if something does come out.

I guess I'm just assuming after all his shenanigans in the past, something is going to pop up with regards to wrongdoing. I guess I've just had this guy so long on my team that I'm assuming the worst. Maybe I am off base, but this guy's issues are constant, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all the facts aren't out yet with this incident....just thinking the league would hammer down on him if something does come out.
In the state of Florida, if there was any evidence that would cause the police to think he was possibly involved in DV, he would be arrested. Florida doesn't play around when it comes to this subject....but I get your concern. My initial gut was the same, until I found out he was allowed to leave the hospital and wasn't getting arrested. At this point he is and will be the victim, nothing more. That's not to say he won't do something else dumb...just not this time.

'BRONG said:
"No honey, that dress doesn't make you look fat. It's all the fat that makes you look fat."

Those that are saying he's going to get suspended, you realize that he's going to have to be at least charged with something, right? Now, that's definitely possible but, keep in mind, the officers didn't have anything at the scene that warranted arresting him or charging him with anything. That's going to have to change for him to even be considered being suspended. I know Goodell has his own "court" that he presides over, but the arguments are usually about the fact that someone was "only" charged with a crime and not even convicted. Marshall hasn't even been charged.

Ben Roethlisberger.

I heard he was "baby TO" well good grief is all I get from him and he certainly has lived up to the nickname.
Has TO ever been charged with anything in his life? I can't think of anything. He's got a loud mouth, that's about it.

I think there's a good chance he doesn't get suspended for this.

And that's great for Marshall owners.

What's bad for Marshall owners is that getting away from the crazy ex-girlfriend appears to have not had the calming affect on his life. In January I said he was about due for another female run-in. He held off for quite a while since his last transgression.

It won't be long before his wife/some new lunatic chick doesn't have a knife handy to defend herself, and Marshall gets to make contact. And then you are looking at a long suspension.

I bet he gets a long suspension.

I can picture his last meeting with goodell having language in it about staying out of the news. Everyone with a brain knows without all the facts that somewhere in this news that Marshall instigated the event.

When I saw the headline he was stabbed I knew before hearing the news it would be domestic.

I don't care about the "facts" and am a judgemental ahole according to Marshall apologists and know he caused this event to happen.

Someday he will be in the news for murdering a woman, one day he will just hit a woman too hard and kill her. When that happens there will still be guys defending him, it makes me sick to think I live in a society where this ##### still has fans in his corner defending him. He is not a child anymore.

I can picture his last meeting with goodell having language in it about staying out of the news. Everyone with a brain knows without all the facts that somewhere in this news that Marshall instigated the event.

When I saw the headline he was stabbed I knew before hearing the news it would be domestic.

I don't care about the "facts" and am a judgemental ahole according to Marshall apologists and know he caused this event to happen.

Someday he will be in the news for murdering a woman, one day he will just hit a woman too hard and kill her. When that happens there will still be guys defending him, it makes me sick to think I live in a society where this ##### still has fans in his corner defending him. He is not a child anymore.

Ben Roethlisberger.
Ben wasn't charged or brought in for questioning?

Ben Roethlisberger.
Ben wasn't charged or brought in for questioning?
Ben wasn't charged. He was questioned, sure, but never charged, and he was suspended despite not being charged of any crime.

'Jules Winnfield said:
'BRONG said:
"I'm leaving you""I cheated on you""I know you are seeing someone else so I'm leaving you""I slept with your sister"
'coolnerd said:
'BRONG said:
:sarcasm:

And if he isn't ever charged with murder of a woman or of any kind then you will come on here and say what?

I don't know what happened really, and it is interesting how many guys here are ready to throw Marshall under the bus. But looking at her mug shot, it does NOT look like she was beaten up or anything.

'Multiple Scores said:

'Hipple said:
'Cowtippers said:

Mugshot included:http://blogs.palmbea...after-stabbing/

'BRONG said:
"No honey, that dress doesn't make you look fat. It's all the fat that makes you look fat."
How about another woman? I am not saying Marshall is a saint, he isn't. But people want to turn him into a monster and could just as easily be that he is a player who happens to be with jealous women.

'Carolina Hustler said:
He is likely twice her size (or better) and solid muscle. That is likely enough reason that she wouldn't be able to stop him without a weapon.

Sorry, I think you're wrong here.
:lmao: No statute analysis, no google, just a 'carolina hustler' feel for what self defense means....

I'm not wrong. In extreme circumstances (ie mma fighter, pro boxer etc, their 'skills' can rise to the level of deadly force, but just because he is a bigger pro athlete doesn't mean she gets to stab to word off a domestic violence-like attack unless it is with a deadly weapon etc.

Under the law, unless she can show that Marshall was about to rape her or something (the only time that deadly force can be used without the presence of corresponding deadly force according to this as a blade/knife is deadly force.

1998 FLORIDA STATUTES

CHAPTER 776

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.--A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

History.--s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1188, ch. 97-102.
Mind providing a link for this tidbit?

Say's as long as the person believes it's necessary, it's justified.

Absolutely nothing in your quote saying someone would first need to be attacked with a knife in order to use a knife... And that is what you suggested..

Marshall is not going to get suspended if he didn't lay a hand on his wife. The bigger question as a Phinsfan is what does Miami do with this guy? I was not impressed last year but he has a terrible QB situation to thrive in with Henne.

He's probably lucky it turned out like it did as he will be recovered in 2-3 weeks, he didn't get arrested for anything, and the league has bigger issues right now.

I doubt Miami has the guts to cut him but we'll see.

Nice analysis here.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Marshall is not going to get suspended if he didn't lay a hand on his wife. The bigger question as a Phinsfan is what does Miami do with this guy? I was not impressed last year but he has a terrible QB situation to thrive in with Henne.

He's probably lucky it turned out like it did as he will be recovered in 2-3 weeks, he didn't get arrested for anything, and the league has bigger issues right now.

I doubt Miami has the guts to cut him but we'll see
too soon for a second cut. I think that Marshall will be fine with the Dolphins, who have plenty of room to improve on the offensive side of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread