What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (1 Viewer)

So, OKC needs to move Westbrook to the 2 and let Harden play the 1. Yeah the bench takes a hit, but that can be remedied. Westbrook has no business being cast as a point guard. It'll be interesting to see if Brooks has the nads to do it. I bet he doesn't. Brooks really stunk in this series. I figure next year is a make or break season for him.

So, OKC needs to move Westbrook to the 2 and let Harden play the 1. Yeah the bench takes a hit, but that can be remedied. Westbrook has no business being cast as a point guard. It'll be interesting to see if Brooks has the nads to do it. I bet he doesn't. Brooks really stunk in this series. I figure next year is a make or break season for him.
It would be better to trade Westbrook instead of moving him to the two IMO. Put Westbrook on a team that doesn't have a legit scorer and we don't hear the #####ing about him not passing. Rose and Westbrook are identical players (Westbrook actually passes more!) yet Westbrook gets all the hate will Rose gets an MVP.

OKC is a young team on the rise any talk of moving Westbrook is silly. I mean really come on now.

Unless a guy like Chris Paul is on the table you do not move a young up and coming star In Westbrook.

Just silly. They lost to a better team with much more experience. They have years left to make a few title runs. OKC is in great shape. You need to lose a series like this to be able to become a champion in the future.

It would be better to trade Westbrook instead of moving him to the two IMO. Put Westbrook on a team that doesn't have a legit scorer and we don't hear the #####ing about him not passing. Rose and Westbrook are identical players (Westbrook actually passes more!) yet Westbrook gets all the hate will Rose gets an MVP.
I posted this earlier: Westbrook needs to go to a team like Houston or Indianapolis or Utah. Would Houston's two first round picks + Kyle Lowry + Jordan Hill be enough?

I posted this earlier: Westbrook needs to go to a team like Houston or Indianapolis or Utah. Would Houston's two first round picks + Kyle Lowry + Jordan Hill be enough?
God no. That would be an all-time disaster for OKC. Paul for Westbrook would be a superstar trade that makes a lot of sense.

I have an end of game scenario question for you guys. You have the ball tied with 15 seconds left, would you prefer:1)An excellent look at the basket with 10 secs left(lets assume uncontested 10 footer by #2 option), or2)A contested jumper a step or two inside 3 point line as time expires by your starCoaches are able to draw up plays to get great looks coming out of TOs all the time, but it seems that ensuring you take the last shot takes priority over the quality of the shot.
1 by a mile. I'd rather have Rondo taking a wide open 15-18 foot jumper than Kobe/Melo/LeBron taking a contested shot from the same spot.
So why does it never happen? I have trouble believing the Heat couldn't have gotten Bosh an open look from the FT line, or the Bulls couldn't have drawn up a play to get Deng an excellent look to end the game. I think the coaches need to tell their stars that it's time to sacrifice the SC highlight to get a better shot for a teammate. The end of regulation last night was painful.
It never happens b/c it's not realistic. Do you really think a bunch of FFA message board nerds know more about last second NBA X's and O's than ALL of the coaches in the NBA over the past 50 years? People are completely discounting the advantages that defenses have in last second situations. The reason great players get the rock 95% of the time isn't "OMG SPORTSCENTER HIGHLIGHT TIME", it's b/c if and when the play breaks down, the elite scorers in general can get separation and still get a good look. The average player can barely even get a shot off in these situations.
Maybe Phillip knows a little more than us message board geeks:
Phil Jackson could not have been more clear, in his book and other comments, that he did not want Kobe Bryant taking crunch time shots while covered, and especially not against double teams, when he had teammates open

God no. That would be an all-time disaster for OKC. Paul for Westbrook would be a superstar trade that makes a lot of sense.
:confused: Maybe its not enough, but Lowry is one of (if not "the") best defensive PGs in the NBA. I'm not suggesting that Lowry is a better player then Westbrook, that isn't even close. I'm just saying that he has a quality that would be useful to OKC.

I highly doubt it. 1st round picks just aren't worth much when they aren't going to be in the lottery. Lowry and Hill don't help OKC at all. Lowry is at best a slight improvement over Maynor and Hill would never see the floor. A package of Westbrook, Robinson (expiring) + Picks + Cash for Paul is something OKC should be pushing for.

A buddy and I were just talking about the same thing. Westbrook for Paul makes sense and would make OKC one of the best put together teams ever assembled. Perfect roles:

Paul/Maynor

Harden/Sefolosha

Durant/Cook

Ibaka/Collison

Perkins/Aldrich

The terrible "Mike Brown offense" was as statistically dominant as the loaded Wade-LeBron-Bosh offense. He's only been coaching for 5 years and has a 42-29 record in the playoffs. I don't see how hiring an unnamed unproven guy would have been a superior hire.
Shouldn't you be listing how many of those wins are against teams with 50 wins or more?It's funny how, prior to this postseason, you always dogged LeBron James' playoff record, using his lack of wins over 50+ win teams, but now those wins against .500 teams in the playoffs apparently mean a lot since you are trying to stroke Mike Brown. :lol:
The difference is nobody is jumping over themselves to pretend that Mike Brown is an all time great and legend for what he has accomplished in the past. Mike Brown is getting compared to Brian Shaw.

:confused: Maybe its not enough, but Lowry is one of (if not "the") best defensive PGs in the NBA. I'm not suggesting that Lowry is a better player then Westbrook, that isn't even close. I'm just saying that he has a quality that would be useful to OKC.
That package is laughably bad. Come on dude.

The terrible "Mike Brown offense" was as statistically dominant as the loaded Wade-LeBron-Bosh offense. He's only been coaching for 5 years and has a 42-29 record in the playoffs. I don't see how hiring an unnamed unproven guy would have been a superior hire.
Shouldn't you be listing how many of those wins are against teams with 50 wins or more?It's funny how, prior to this postseason, you always dogged LeBron James' playoff record, using his lack of wins over 50+ win teams, but now those wins against .500 teams in the playoffs apparently mean a lot since you are trying to stroke Mike Brown. :lol:
The difference is nobody is jumping over themselves to pretend that Mike Brown is an all time great and legend for what he has accomplished in the past. Mike Brown is getting compared to Brian Shaw.
I gotta give you credit. The lengths to which you will go to avoid the incredibly obvious inescapable conclusion that you've contradicted yourself are remarkable. I don't think I'd have that sort of moxie and capacity for self-delusion.Single question for you: Did the James/Brown Cavaliers teams exceed expectations in the playoffs given the talent on the roster, or did they fail to meet them?

I think Jim Buss is either dumb or he's trying to blow the Lakers up sooner rather than later. Not consulting Kobe at all? I think there's some writing on the wall there. To jump to conclusions that are crazy, but not as crazy as it would have seemed a week ago, would the Hornets do a Kobe for Paul deal? It'd be fun to watch a break with Paul, Shannon Brown and Odom.

I gotta give you credit. The lengths to which you will go to avoid the incredibly obvious inescapable conclusion that you've contradicted yourself are remarkable. I don't think I'd have that sort of moxie and capacity for self-delusion.Single question for you: Did the James/Brown Cavaliers teams exceed expectations in the playoffs given the talent on the roster, or did they fail to meet them?
In my personal opinion they both failed given their regular season success. What they lacked in pure talent they made up for in perfect complementary pieces.
I don't know how LeBron was credited for overachieving given the talent level of his teammates and excused for his playoff failures by the basketball majority (not me) yet Mike Brown is given no credit for his team overachieving in the regular season and all the blame for failing in the playoffs.
If I stated that Mike Brown is without a doubt the best coach in the league and any opinion otherwise would be fishing then you might have a leg to stand on.

In my personal opinion they both failed given their regular season success. What they lacked in pure talent they made up for in perfect complementary pieces.
I don't know how LeBron was credited for overachieving given the talent level of his teammates and excused for his playoff failures by the basketball majority (not me) yet Mike Brown is given no credit for his team overachieving in the regular season and all the blame for failing in the playoffs.
If I stated that Mike Brown is without a doubt the best coach in the league and any opinion otherwise would be fishing then you might have a leg to stand on.
I understand that you don't think he's the greatest coach who ever lived. It's not your opinion of Brown that contradicts everything you've ever said about LeBron. It's that you seemed to have a somewhat positive opinion of him, and that you used his playoff record to support your opinion. That's a contradiction. The only way to reconcile it would be to say that your initial post here was NOT intended to reflect positively on Brown ... but I think it's pretty clear that was your intent.

I understand that you don't think he's the greatest coach who ever lived. It's not your opinion of Brown that contradicts everything you've ever said about LeBron. It's that you seemed to have a somewhat positive opinion of him, and that you used his playoff record to support your opinion. That's a contradiction. The only way to reconcile it would be to say that your initial post here was NOT intended to reflect positively on Brown ... but I think it's pretty clear that was your intent.
That's because you are completely ignoring who I am comparing them too.Legend: Kobe Bryant

Player: LeBron James

Rookie: Whoever

Legend; Phil Jackson

Coach: Mike Brown

Rookie: Brian Shaw

I have a positive impression of Mike Brown over Brian Shaw and I have a similar positive impression of LeBron James over some unnamed rookie. How ridiculous would it sound to claim you would rather take your chance on some rookie because LeBron James has never won a championship in a 5 year time span?

OKC is a young team on the rise any talk of moving Westbrook is silly. I mean really come on now.Unless a guy like Chris Paul is on the table you do not move a young up and coming star In Westbrook.Just silly. They lost to a better team with much more experience. They have years left to make a few title runs. OKC is in great shape. You need to lose a series like this to be able to become a champion in the future.
Agreed. The Thunder would be foolish to deal Westbrook in any package that doesn't net someone like Paul or Deron Williams. Westbrook certainly needs to improve his decision-making, but he has been learning point guard on the fly in the NBA. In his 2 years at UCLA, he was not the starting PG (Darren Collison was) and often played at the 2. Westbrook is 22 and still has a lot to learn, but he's also made considerable progress as a player in his three seasons. He should learn from this experience and be better off for it. If a year from now his decision-making is still an issue, then OKC will need to consider replacing him.

Ettore Messina, remember the name.
Hope he comes to LA - with the $ Buss is saving from Phil to Brown he can afford to pay Messina.
You think he'll come over as an assistant? Hasn't he always been mentioned as a head coaching candidate in the past?
Through the eyes of Ettore Messina. Long regarded as the best coach outside North America, is Messina now free to pursue a career in the NBA? If so, he insists he would come to the NBA to serve as nothing more than an assistant coach. "It would be interesting," Messina said Wednesday from Spain, where he shocked European basketball by resigning as coach of Real Madrid two weeks ago. "But I need first of all to see if I could be a good assistant after many years of not being an assistant. And then it would have to be made clear that I am not going there to steal anybody's job."

That's because you are completely ignoring who I am comparing them too.Legend: Kobe Bryant

Player: LeBron James

Rookie: Whoever

Legend; Phil Jackson

Coach: Mike Brown

Rookie: Brian Shaw

I have a positive impression of Mike Brown over Brian Shaw and I have a similar positive impression of LeBron James over some unnamed rookie. How ridiculous would it sound to claim you would rather take your chance on some rookie because LeBron James has never won a championship in a 5 year time span?
More questions: We can all agree that the Lakers job, at least for the next 2-3 years, is one of the better jobs in the basketball world, yes? I mean when someone throws out Coach K as a potential candidate, it's clear we're not talking about a run of the mill gig.

Given that, why only compare Brown to Shaw? Shouldn't the real comparison be Brown vs. whatever other candidate the Lakers could find that would accept the job? And if that's the case, how does a 42-29 record that you've characterized as disappointing or underachieving (to say the least) in other contexts constitute a positive attribute here?

And a secondary question: can you show me where someone here referred to LeBron James as a "legend"? The only arguments I recall around here are that LeBron is better than Player X, be it Kobe or whoever else you want to put in there, and that he has been for X years. Isn't this just a strawman argument you're making using a description that has no concrete meaning at all?

More questions: We can all agree that the Lakers job, at least for the next 2-3 years, is one of the better jobs in the basketball world, yes? I mean when someone throws out Coach K as a potential candidate, it's clear we're not talking about a run of the mill gig.Given that, why only compare Brown to Shaw? Shouldn't the real comparison be Brown vs. whatever other candidate the Lakers could find that would accept the job? And if that's the case, how does a 42-29 record that you've characterized as disappointing or underachieving (to say the least) in other contexts constitute a positive attribute here?And a secondary question: can you show me where someone here referred to LeBron James as a "legend"? The only arguments I recall around here are that LeBron is better than Player X, be it Kobe or whoever else you want to put in there, and that he has been for X years. Isn't this just a strawman argument you're making using a description that has no concrete meaning at all?
Jesus Christ thats a lot of questions. Please choose one and be done with it. I'm not going to write an essay while Mavs and Heat fans want to talk about the Finals.

More questions: We can all agree that the Lakers job, at least for the next 2-3 years, is one of the better jobs in the basketball world, yes? I mean when someone throws out Coach K as a potential candidate, it's clear we're not talking about a run of the mill gig.Given that, why only compare Brown to Shaw? Shouldn't the real comparison be Brown vs. whatever other candidate the Lakers could find that would accept the job? And if that's the case, how does a 42-29 record that you've characterized as disappointing or underachieving (to say the least) in other contexts constitute a positive attribute here?And a secondary question: can you show me where someone here referred to LeBron James as a "legend"? The only arguments I recall around here are that LeBron is better than Player X, be it Kobe or whoever else you want to put in there, and that he has been for X years. Isn't this just a strawman argument you're making using a description that has no concrete meaning at all?
Jesus Christ thats a lot of questions. Please choose one and be done with it. I'm not going to write an essay while Mavs and Heat fans want to talk about the Finals.
Fair enough, let's leave alone the "legend" silliness and focus one question on a real and current topic ...Why compare Brown to Shaw instead of Brown to any other candidate that the Lakers could have potentially hired, given the fact that it looks to me like a pretty good gig?This isn't argumentative shtick; I honestly didn't follow the hiring process and I'm curious as to why such a prestigious job seems to have come down to a career assistant and a guy who kind of lost his job due to perceived playoff failures and a possibly a failure to effectively manage a megastar.

Fair enough, let's leave alone the "legend" silliness and focus one question on a real and current topic ...Why compare Brown to Shaw instead of Brown to any other candidate that the Lakers could have potentially hired, given the fact that it looks to me like a pretty good gig?This isn't argumentative shtick; I honestly didn't follow the hiring process and I'm curious as to why such a prestigious job seems to have come down to a career assistant and a guy who kind of lost his job due to perceived playoff failures and a possibly a failure to effectively manage a megastar.
Because I was responding to this...
Who said I'd like to see Adelman coach the Lakers? At least VanGundy makes a good dust mop. Shaw - who knows? I'd rather take my chances with the unproven guy than the guy who has proven he can't win anything in the postseason and has zero offensive game plan - all with the best player in the game on his team.But by all means, wax nostalgic about LeBron's #####. Can't believe you'll be happy with LeBron's sloppy seconds when they actually hit the court though.
Groovus apparently prefers Shaw, but really hasn't explain why other than he's not a playoff failure like Mike Brown.

Who said I'd like to see Adelman coach the Lakers? At least VanGundy makes a good dust mop. Shaw - who knows? I'd rather take my chances with the unproven guy than the guy who has proven he can't win anything in the postseason and has zero offensive game plan - all with the best player in the game on his team.But by all means, wax nostalgic about LeBron's #####. Can't believe you'll be happy with LeBron's sloppy seconds when they actually hit the court though.
Gotcha.Setting aside the Brown vs. Shaw thing for a moment and looking at the Brown hire from all angles, are you happy with it? What would you say is the general vibe in Laker-land?

I'm not getting all the hate for Westbrook.

Newsflash: When your team basically has no discernible offense and the #3 scoring option in your starting lineup is Chewbacca, guess what? Westbrook is going to be forced to take a lot of shots.

Also, Durant should be sharing equal criticism with Westbrook, because he doesn't consistently work hard enough to put himself in position to get the ball, let alone get the ball in good spots.

Gotcha.Setting aside the Brown vs. Shaw thing for a moment and looking at the Brown hire from all angles, are you happy with it? What would you say is the general vibe in Laker-land?
I would probably be happy with hiring any coach with a defensive reputation. There wasn't any candidate out there that was perfect. I would imagine the average Laker fan is unhappy because Mike Brown was the scapegoat's for the Cavs playoff failures and most Laker fans or fans in general don't realize that the Lakers offense wasn't any more statistically successful against the Celtics or the Magic in the playoffs than the "inept" offense led by Mike Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Groovus apparently prefers Shaw, but really hasn't explain why other than he's not a playoff failure like Mike Brown.
He also hasn't been requested to be fired by his star player - in fact just the opposite. He's also familiar with the personnel, what works and what doesn't. He also has the respect of the players on the team. He's not a retread. Most retreads are retreads for a reason. But yes, he also doesn't have a track record of underperformance in the playoffs. I'd rather give a fresh guy a chance than someone who's proven to be a failure. Great he got the Cavs to play D. The rosters are completely opposite. He's evidenced zero ability to put any semblance of an NBA offense out there. He sounds pretty unrefined in interviews and when he hosts. I think he'll get crushed by the pressure of dealing with Los Angeles. Shaw's been here a while, he's learned from the best, I think he'll handle it better.Pat Riley won championships with the Lakers in his 1st coaching job. Phil Jackson won championships in his 1st coaching job. I'd like to give Shaw that opportunity. Maybe Shaw can't do it, but Brown has already proven he can't. I doubt Brown makes it through the three years guaranteed on this contract.

Who said I'd like to see Adelman coach the Lakers? At least VanGundy makes a good dust mop. Shaw - who knows? I'd rather take my chances with the unproven guy than the guy who has proven he can't win anything in the postseason and has zero offensive game plan - all with the best player in the game on his team.

But by all means, wax nostalgic about LeBron's #####. Can't believe you'll be happy with LeBron's sloppy seconds when they actually hit the court though.
I would probably be happy with hiring any coach with a defensive reputation. There wasn't any candidate out there that was perfect. I would imagine the average Laker fan is unhappy because Mike Brown was the scapegoat's for the Cavs playoff failures and most Laker fans or fans in general don't realize that the Lakers offense wasn't any more statistically successful against the Celtics or the Magic in the playoffs than the "inept" offense led by Mike Brown.
Cool, makes sense. Thanks. From the outsiders' perspective it seemed weird to me, but I guess that's just because I expected a flashy hire given the fact that it's The Lakers.

We need to see how the assistants pan out...but a possible complete offensive overhaul along with for sure Brown's defensive coaching style (player types and philosophy) doesn't seem like the best mesh for a team that should be competing for a title next year. And the window isn't getting any wider for their one current superstar.

We need to see how the assistants pan out...but a possible complete offensive overhaul along with for sure Brown's defensive coaching style (player types and philosophy) doesn't seem like the best mesh for a team that should be competing for a title next year. And the window isn't getting any wider for their one current superstar.
:goodposting:

I hope the Heat can close tonight. I don't want to give the Bulls any type of hope. It will be a tough task though. The Bulls are just so damn scrapy.

I'm not getting all the hate for Westbrook. Newsflash: When your team basically has no discernible offense and the #3 scoring option in your starting lineup is Chewbacca, guess what? Westbrook is going to be forced to take a lot of shots. Also, Durant should be sharing equal criticism with Westbrook, because he doesn't consistently work hard enough to put himself in position to get the ball, let alone get the ball in good spots.
:goodposting: I love Durant and I'm not a fan of LeBron. But one thing I took away from this series is that Durant is not close to LeBron and will probably never reach that point. Dirk outplayed Durant and was clearly the best player of the series. KD is very good and very young, but he needs to improve if he wants to become one of the All Time greats.

I hope the Heat can close tonight. I don't want to give the Bulls any type of hope. It will be a tough task though. The Bulls are just so damn scrapy.
Speaking selfishly, I'm torn between having a game to watch Saturday night and having the start of the Finals moved up two days, which will happen if the Heat win tonight (next Thursday to next Tuesday).

I'm not getting all the hate for Westbrook. Newsflash: When your team basically has no discernible offense and the #3 scoring option in your starting lineup is Chewbacca, guess what? Westbrook is going to be forced to take a lot of shots. Also, Durant should be sharing equal criticism with Westbrook, because he doesn't consistently work hard enough to put himself in position to get the ball, let alone get the ball in good spots.
:goodposting: I love Durant and I'm not a fan of LeBron. But one thing I took away from this series is that Durant is not close to LeBron and will probably never reach that point. Dirk outplayed Durant and was clearly the best player of the series. KD is very good and very young, but he needs to improve if he wants to become one of the All Time greats.
It's funny, but if things work out for Durant, he pretty much ends up like Novitzky, hopefully with a few more championships, probably a few more blocked shots.

He also hasn't been requested to be fired by his star player - in fact just the opposite. He's also familiar with the personnel, what works and what doesn't. He also has the respect of the players on the team. He's not a retread. Most retreads are retreads for a reason. But yes, he also doesn't have a track record of underperformance in the playoffs. I'd rather give a fresh guy a chance than someone who's proven to be a failure. Great he got the Cavs to play D. The rosters are completely opposite. He's evidenced zero ability to put any semblance of an NBA offense out there. He sounds pretty unrefined in interviews and when he hosts. I think he'll get crushed by the pressure of dealing with Los Angeles. Shaw's been here a while, he's learned from the best, I think he'll handle it better.Pat Riley won championships with the Lakers in his 1st coaching job. Phil Jackson won championships in his 1st coaching job. I'd like to give Shaw that opportunity. Maybe Shaw can't do it, but Brown has already proven he can't. I doubt Brown makes it through the three years guaranteed on this contract.
The last coach who parlayed his tutorship under Phil Jackson into a head coaching job is 32-132 the last couple of years. What separates Brian Shaw from Kurt Rambis?What kind of offense should he have run in Cleveland? If the Lakers don't buy into playing defense, they won't win another championship. No matter who the coach is.

This isn't argumentative shtick; I honestly didn't follow the hiring process and I'm curious as to why such a prestigious job seems to have come down to a career assistant and a guy who kind of lost his job due to perceived playoff failures and a possibly a failure to effectively manage a megastar.
I won't speak for MPL, but elite, big name coaches just aren't available right now. As you know, the Lakers and their fans are never shy about their ability to get virtually anyone they want, be it player or coach. The names bandied about during this search were: Shaw, Adelman, Dunleavy, the Rifleman, JVan Gundy, and Brown. Of those folks, Adelman and Brown are the best choices (IMO). I like Shaw, and wouldn't have been angry had he been hired, but that's a little too much risk for what's at stake considering the Lakers are built to win immediately.Brown's been crushed by Lebron fans over the past couple years, but was losing to the higher seeded Celtics in 08 in 7 games, Orlando in '09, and the Celtics again last year really that big of a choke? All of the teams they lost to won the Eastern Conference. Would I rather have Popovich or Thibodeau? Absolutely. Is Brown a risk? Yep. Is he the idiot that LeBron backers on this board have suggested the past couple years? No way.

The last coach who parlayed his tutorship under Phil Jackson into a head coaching job is 32-132 the last couple of years. What separates Brian Shaw from Kurt Rambis?
Jim Cleamons too. I do hope BShaw gets a job somewhere.

This isn't argumentative shtick; I honestly didn't follow the hiring process and I'm curious as to why such a prestigious job seems to have come down to a career assistant and a guy who kind of lost his job due to perceived playoff failures and a possibly a failure to effectively manage a megastar.
I won't speak for MPL, but elite, big name coaches just aren't available right now. As you know, the Lakers and their fans are never shy about their ability to get virtually anyone they want, be it player or coach. The names bandied about during this search were: Shaw, Adelman, Dunleavy, the Rifleman, JVan Gundy, and Brown. Of those folks, Adelman and Brown are the best choices (IMO). I like Shaw, and wouldn't have been angry had he been hired, but that's a little too much risk for what's at stake considering the Lakers are built to win immediately.Brown's been crushed by Lebron fans over the past couple years, but was losing to the higher seeded Celtics in 08 in 7 games, Orlando in '09, and the Celtics again last year really that big of a choke? All of the teams they lost to won the Eastern Conference. Would I rather have Popovich or Thibodeau? Absolutely. Is Brown a risk? Yep. Is he the idiot that LeBron backers on this board have suggested the past couple years? No way.
Cool. Thanks, gentlemen. For some reason I missed any previous discussion of the hire here.

He also hasn't been requested to be fired by his star player - in fact just the opposite. He's also familiar with the personnel, what works and what doesn't. He also has the respect of the players on the team. He's not a retread. Most retreads are retreads for a reason. But yes, he also doesn't have a track record of underperformance in the playoffs. I'd rather give a fresh guy a chance than someone who's proven to be a failure. Great he got the Cavs to play D. The rosters are completely opposite. He's evidenced zero ability to put any semblance of an NBA offense out there. He sounds pretty unrefined in interviews and when he hosts. I think he'll get crushed by the pressure of dealing with Los Angeles. Shaw's been here a while, he's learned from the best, I think he'll handle it better.

Pat Riley won championships with the Lakers in his 1st coaching job. Phil Jackson won championships in his 1st coaching job. I'd like to give Shaw that opportunity. Maybe Shaw can't do it, but Brown has already proven he can't. I doubt Brown makes it through the three years guaranteed on this contract.
The last coach who parlayed his tutorship under Phil Jackson into a head coaching job is 32-132 the last couple of years. What separates Brian Shaw from Kurt Rambis?What kind of offense should he have run in Cleveland? If the Lakers don't buy into playing defense, they won't win another championship. No matter who the coach is.
You're quite the troll. Rambis already had a mini-audition with the Lakers - remember that? Remember how the team tuned him out, much like the Cavs tuned out Brown last year in the playoffs? Remember how Rambis is coaching what is probably the worst franchise in the league, with the worst talent in the league, instead of coaching the Lakers? Might those things differentiate his performance somewhat from Shaw's prospects as a Laker HC? Are those too many questions for you to handle?

Brown was not necessarily a bad fit in Cleveland. Who are the Lebobo backers that crushed Brown? The Cavs built a team around Lebron and Brown's defensive style of coaching. The players generally fit both criteria. Brown certainly had his downfalls, but he wasn't horrible or the only reason why the Cavs never won a title with one superstar. I don't really see how Brown fits to a Lakers team that is "already built". I personally think Shaw would have been the best fit and if it didn't work out in a few years their would be a changing of the guard anyways, whether that be with another superstar, maybe two, or a blow up of the roster. Both Brown and Shaw come with risks so I guess it comes down to how you weight them. I'm also not suggesteing there were fantastic hires out there that the Lakers didn't pursue...the coaching landscape has been dried out over the past few years.

You're quite the troll. Rambis already had a mini-audition with the Lakers - remember that? Remember how the team tuned him out, much like the Cavs tuned out Brown last year in the playoffs? Remember how Rambis is coaching what is probably the worst franchise in the league, with the worst talent in the league, instead of coaching the Lakers? Might those things differentiate his performance somewhat from Shaw's prospects as a Laker HC? Are those too many questions for you to handle?
Please if I wanted to troll you I would have done so way better than that. I even rewrote it a couple of times to make it sound nicer because I picked up on your unrivaled sensitivity. I don't remember that far back. I only remember the end of the season when the Lakers flamed out of the playoffs as failures. I remember the Lakers tuning out Phil Jackson, Brian Shaw and the rest of the coaching staff as they were swept by a less talented team. Apparently Mike Brown isn't capable of coaching up or inspiring more tenacious defense out of this older Lakers squad but somehow Brian Shaw would be able to because he is buddy buddy with Kobe?

Please if I wanted to troll you I would have done so way better than that. I even rewrote it a couple of times to make it sound nicer because I picked up on your unrivaled sensitivity.
Doubtful. Your trolling is all quantity - no quality. Way to not answer any of my questions, it's really nice of you to keep the thread uncluttered for all the playoffs talk.

He also hasn't been requested to be fired by his star player - in fact just the opposite. He's also familiar with the personnel, what works and what doesn't. He also has the respect of the players on the team. He's not a retread. Most retreads are retreads for a reason. But yes, he also doesn't have a track record of underperformance in the playoffs. I'd rather give a fresh guy a chance than someone who's proven to be a failure. Great he got the Cavs to play D. The rosters are completely opposite. He's evidenced zero ability to put any semblance of an NBA offense out there. He sounds pretty unrefined in interviews and when he hosts. I think he'll get crushed by the pressure of dealing with Los Angeles. Shaw's been here a while, he's learned from the best, I think he'll handle it better.

Pat Riley won championships with the Lakers in his 1st coaching job. Phil Jackson won championships in his 1st coaching job. I'd like to give Shaw that opportunity. Maybe Shaw can't do it, but Brown has already proven he can't. I doubt Brown makes it through the three years guaranteed on this contract.
How did Randy Pfund work out?Assistant coaches that have never been a head coach before carry a ton of risk. If you're going to make that hire, it should be someone who is a noted "guru" for something. Tom Thibodeau was a defensive "guru," for example.

On top of that, and at the risk of having non-Laker fans roll their eyes, this is the Los Angeles Lakers we're talking about. This shouldn't be a place where you learn on the job, particularly when the team is built to win now and its window for winning titles will be closing in the next few years (if it hasn't already).

Maybe I missed it, but Brian Shaw is not a noted guru of anything. The players pushed for him, not because of his great contributions to Xs and Os, but because he has "knowledge of the Lakers personnel," (he's been around them for awhile and has a good rapport) and "would provide continuity" (he's been around them and knows Phil Jackson's system). Could he have been a great head coach? Sure. Would I want the Lakers to be the franchise, as they are currently constructed, to take that risk? No way. Brian Shaw will get his shot one day, but it will most likely come somewhere else. If he shows the chops to be a great head coach, then the Lakers should give him a look when the job opens up again.

How did Randy Pfund work out?Assistant coaches that have never been a head coach before carry a ton of risk. If you're going to make that hire, it should be someone who is a noted "guru" for something. Tom Thibodeau was a defensive "guru," for example.

On top of that, and at the risk of having non-Laker fans roll their eyes, this is the Los Angeles Lakers we're talking about. This shouldn't be a place where you learn on the job, particularly when the team is built to win now and its window for winning titles will be closing in the next few years (if it hasn't already).

Maybe I missed it, but Brian Shaw is not a noted guru of anything. The players pushed for him, not because of his great contributions to Xs and Os, but because he has "knowledge of the Lakers personnel," (he's been around them for awhile and has a good rapport) and "would provide continuity" (he's been around them and knows Phil Jackson's system). Could he have been a great head coach? Sure. Would I want the Lakers to be the franchise, as they are currently constructed, to take that risk? No way. Brian Shaw will get his shot one day, but it will most likely come somewhere else. If he shows the chops to be a great head coach, then the Lakers should give him a look when the job opens up again.
How did Del Harris work out? How did Rudy T. work out? There's as much risk, if not more, in bringing in a retread - even ones with Championship wins under their belts. There wasn't even a guy like that on the market. So yeah, I'd rather see what Shaw can do. I don't recall Riley or Jackson being "guru" of anything when they got their first jobs.

How did Randy Pfund work out?Assistant coaches that have never been a head coach before carry a ton of risk. If you're going to make that hire, it should be someone who is a noted "guru" for something. Tom Thibodeau was a defensive "guru," for example. On top of that, and at the risk of having non-Laker fans roll their eyes, this is the Los Angeles Lakers we're talking about. This shouldn't be a place where you learn on the job, particularly when the team is built to win now and its window for winning titles will be closing in the next few years (if it hasn't already).Maybe I missed it, but Brian Shaw is not a noted guru of anything. The players pushed for him, not because of his great contributions to Xs and Os, but because he has "knowledge of the Lakers personnel," (he's been around them for awhile and has a good rapport) and "would provide continuity" (he's been around them and knows Phil Jackson's system). Could he have been a great head coach? Sure. Would I want the Lakers to be the franchise, as they are currently constructed, to take that risk? No way. Brian Shaw will get his shot one day, but it will most likely come somewhere else. If he shows the chops to be a great head coach, then the Lakers should give him a look when the job opens up again.
This is exactly how I feel. I agree 100%.

How did Del Harris work out? How did Rudy T. work out? There's as much risk, if not more, in bringing in a retread - even ones with Championship wins under their belts. There wasn't even a guy like that on the market. So yeah, I'd rather see what Shaw can do. I don't recall Riley or Jackson being "guru" of anything when they got their first jobs.
Del Harris didn't work out, but he wasn't a disaster like Pfund was. Rudy T.? He quit on a crappy team. I almost pointed out Riley as the counter-point.As for Phil Jackson, he was a first time NBA head coach, but he was not a first time head coach. He'd won a title in the CBA and coached in Puerto Rico and become tight with Tex Winter and a devotee of the Triangle. Perhaps Brian Shaw should follow in his footsteps.

I'm not advocating for Mike Brown. I'm not happy with him as the Lakers coach. But, I do think he's a better choice than Brian Shaw.

There are exceptions to every rule. I won't deny that. Like I said, Brian Shaw could be a great head coach right now. But, nothing he's done to this point gives anyone any evidence that he will. It would be a complete leap of faith and luck if he did.

You obviously disagree, but if you are going to give an assistant coach who has never been a head coach at any level of professional basketball the head job for the Lakers, he should be very well-regarded in the coaching community for his Xs and Os, at the very least. An ability to relate and communicate with the players should also be on that list. Shaw had the latter, but I'm not aware of any great coaching contributions he's made.

Mike Brown has a rep for being a great defensive coach. If he hires an offensive coordinator, for lack of a better term, then this could end up being an excellent hire. I'm not holding my breath, but he's got a better resume to do that than does Shaw.

Brian Windhorst, who covered the Cavs for the Clev Plain Dealer when Brown was the Cavs coach:

"He's sort of a process coach. The Lakers are looking for someone to keep it going. I don't know if they're looking for someone to retool everything... He's taken the reins of a 747, so to speak, that's mid-flight. It's gonna be a real challenge for him. I don't really know how good that's all gonna go.

"What I will say is I'm not surprised at all that he probably impressed the Buss family during the interview process, because he is a very impressive guy to talk to. If you just pay attention to his interviews that he did in Cleveland, you won't think that. You'll sort of think that he's a little bit goofy and sometimes looks aloof. That is not Mike Brown. Mike Brown is one of the most prepared and intelligent basketball minds I've ever been around. His character is literally impeachable."
The bold is the kind of stuff I like to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread