What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

45 on the front, 56 on the back today at Limekiln in Ambler. Honestly, I think it's a fatigue thing - I'm not in the best shape and been hitting the gym hard for a few weeks now. I must be dipping a shoulder or something and causing issues for my form. Also, chipping was a mess. I hit a tee shot on a part 3 into a hazard that runs perpendicular to the green. Dropped in front of it and chipped it off the toe into the creek literally 3 times in a row :lmao: you can't make this stuff up.

Question - I love the Titleist fitted hats. So comfortable and many different colors...

Does anyone know of a hat brand for golfers that avoids those damn white sweat marks that inevitably appear on every brim? Drives me crazy. I have a white hat, but that just gets too dirty and yellow quickly. Or maybe a color combination that avoids it altogether?

Haven't played lime kiln in years
Love the 3 different sets of 9 holes. Very cool but easy course. And the clubhouse needs serious renovations/updating. It's something out of the 40s

However, the greens, fairways and rough were all absolutely flawless (sand traps too).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is "re-establishing my handicap" an actual thing in golf?
yes, assuming you had a GHIN number previously. if so, and assuming it's not currently active, then your current club will have to re-activate so it will adjust when you start posting scores.
I think he might be asking to wipe his current one clean and start from scratch. but not sure.
I played against a team that was "re-establishing" their handicaps and they destroyed our flight. So I'm wondering whether there's an actual procedure or not.
"destroyed" as in cleaned house and won?
Yes
like urbanhack said: fishy as ####.

i don't like to throw "sandbagger" around, but if these guys had numbers in the mid-20s (for example) and are then posting tourney scores in the low 80s, then i'd be calling some bullchit.
One of the pros looked at all of their cards after the course of the tournament and said they were definitely sandbaggers. One of them was the nephew of a member and the other was the nephew's BIL.

Nephew was a 14 but played like a 9 and the BIL was a 20 who played like a 14.
So what did the pro do after coming to that opinion? They need to get nothing, forfeit their entry and calcutta fees and never allowed to return.

Seriously.

Played Saturday at a local course that's not as hard as the past couple we've played at. I felt like I was playing poorly all day. Not really bad, but just not sharp. When I was done, I looked at my stats and saw I hit 3 of 13 fairways, but still managed to shoot a 90. I've started to chip better and I think that shaved off 10 strokes. Felt nice to have a decent score again.

Played Saturday at a local course that's not as hard as the past couple we've played at. I felt like I was playing poorly all day. Not really bad, but just not sharp. When I was done, I looked at my stats and saw I hit 3 of 13 fairways, but still managed to shoot a 90. I've started to chip better and I think that shaved off 10 strokes. Felt nice to have a decent score again.
Where at?

Where at?
We played Landis Creek, which used to be Limerick. We play there every 4th of July because they have a special where it's $17.76 to play that day.

Where at?
We played Landis Creek, which used to be Limerick. We play there every 4th of July because they have a special where it's $17.76 to play that day.
I know it well. That's pretty cool about the deal, didn't know that. Pretty easy course, but 10-12 is a tough little stretch of holes (that freakin tree on 11). I always have problems with 16 as well.

10 strokes simply from chipping? :shock:

Where at?
I know it well. That's pretty cool about the deal, didn't know that. Pretty easy course, but 10-12 is a tough little stretch of holes (that freakin tree on 11). I always have problems with 16 as well.
Yeah. We hate those two holes (10 and 11). Every time I play there I hit a beautiful shot that lands dead center of the fairway only to be stuck behind that stupid tree in the fairway. Such a stupid hole.

10 strokes simply from chipping? :shock:
Yes. I've been in a Chuck Knoublach type funk around the green. I'm in my own head. I bought new clubs and I'm trying to dial in my new distances, but it's been leaving me with a lot of short chips or pitches from around the green. And I've gone on a chunk fest. I'll hit a nice drive down the middle of the fairway. Hit my second shot 6 yards over the green. Two putt. And finish with an 8. It's been a rough month stretch. But Saturday I seem to have emerged from my funk.

Where at?
Yeah. We hate those two holes (10 and 11). Every time I play there I hit a beautiful shot that lands dead center of the fairway only to be stuck behind that stupid tree in the fairway. Such a stupid hole.
I know this course very well also.

I played up at Macoby Run this weekend and I am having some serious issues. 40/52 on the day, which made it incredibly frustrating. I can't get off the tee box at all, and think I hit 2 fairways all day. My irons and chipping was spot on thankfully.

The problem with my drives now is at the top of my backswing, it feels like I lose my grip on the club causing me regrip midswing, close the club face and hit it into the ground. It got so in my head on the back 9 I would almost pause at the top of my backswing to change my grip. Any advice on this?

well my strategy for the red-white-blue tourney on Saturday didn't matter. I drove the ball great, and managed to 4 putt, 3 putt twice, hit OB once and shoot an 80. the day before from the back tees i shot 75. total meltdown for me. for the first time in 5 yrs i'm taking a lesson. I can't hit fairway after fairway and shoot 80, its pathetic. As well as I'm driving the ball, I should be shooting low to mid 70's every round. golf is frustrating

Where at?
I know this course very well also.

I played up at Macoby Run this weekend and I am having some serious issues. 40/52 on the day, which made it incredibly frustrating. I can't get off the tee box at all, and think I hit 2 fairways all day. My irons and chipping was spot on thankfully.

The problem with my drives now is at the top of my backswing, it feels like I lose my grip on the club causing me regrip midswing, close the club face and hit it into the ground. It got so in my head on the back 9 I would almost pause at the top of my backswing to change my grip. Any advice on this?
have your driver re-gripped.

slow down your tempo and concentrate on just hitting the ball squarely.

make sure your left wrist is firm at the top of the backswing http://progolfsource.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/golf-driving-tips.jpg

, you don't want the wristy "downcock" move you see in some iron swings. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/w_JB1WT-eeM/hqdefault.jpg

2015:

51/37

53/38

44/40

49/39

42/55

:lmao: I'm a mess.
How the heck can you put a 37-38 together then blow up to a 50....that is impressive. Is it the flat stick or your driver?
Driver and duffed chips. Just mentally check out a few holes.

eta - obviously have to miss a few puts too, but usually not my issue. BAD drives and losing my feel on short game usually.

Hand getting better. Shot 81. Hand still costing me some weird misses but it has also helped with my tempo. So afraid it's going to hurt when I make impact I'm swing smoother. Need to bump it by about 10% and I think I'm all in again

2015:

51/37

53/38

44/40

49/39

42/55

How the heck can you put a 37-38 together then blow up to a 50....that is impressive. Is it the flat stick or your driver?

eta - obviously have to miss a few puts too, but usually not my issue. BAD drives and losing my feel on short game usually.
not uncommon for those who go from the car to the first tee to have a blow up score on the front and then make a decent number on the back after getting warmed up.

Apple Jack said:
matuski said:
2015:

51/37

53/38

44/40

49/39

42/55

not uncommon for those who go from the car to the first tee to have a blow up score on the front and then make a decent number on the back after getting warmed up.
Guilty.

I've seen this thread plenty but always figured it was about discussing the pros...

Been scanning the pages looking for short game tips. I know most of it is in my head but I am a disaster around the green.

Random but anyone ever play Garrisons Lake near Dover, DE? Buddy of mine who I used to play with all the time has been living in VA for a while and we realized this is pretty central to both of us so checking it out this weekend.

No but in Delaware

Check out heritage shores, back creek.

Check out the distance to bulle rock in md

Set to play at Merion this weekend, something that has been in the works for over a year. Any Philly guys have the chance to play it? I'm around a 17 handicap and think anything under 100 is a big victory.

I've seen this thread plenty but always figured it was about discussing the pros...

Been scanning the pages looking for short game tips. I know most of it is in my head but I am a disaster around the green.
One tip that really helped me chip from short range more consistently was the hold the club with the same grip as your putter grip and take almost the same swing as your putter. This should help eliminate those short stubs where you contact the ground before the ball.

Set to play at Merion this weekend, something that has been in the works for over a year. Any Philly guys have the chance to play it? I'm around a 17 handicap and think anything under 100 is a big victory.
i hate you.No swearing. Slamming clubs or yelling

had my first lesson in 5 yrs today. told the guy I just need help with my irons. So i warm up, he films a few swings and then i go check the video with him. UGHHHHH

holy cow, i looked like a 20 handicapper, was collapsing my left arm, was taking the club up vertically and coming down vertically, and not rotating my hips. He had me do a couple drills, and hit the ball using my hips to initiate the downswing and voila, ball is high and true. Its like I had reverted to a 10 yrs ago swing. No wonder i haven't been scoring well considering how I've been driving the ball.

so he has me hit a few drivers, and says, your driver swing is perfect, no need to change anything. If you can use your driver swing method for your irons you'll be good.

I'll go play a little this week and practice, i'm excited about hitting my irons now.

One tip that really helped me chip from short range more consistently was the hold the club with the same grip as your putter grip and take almost the same swing as your putter. This should help eliminate those short stubs where you contact the ground before the ball.
there's more to it than that. Play the ball back off your right toe, move the handle to your left toe, then grip. Also stand close enough to the ball that the toe of the club is closer to the ground than the heel. Then just take a putting stroke.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48PlO1NUvUs

Still fighting tendonitis. Gonna have to get a shot I guess. Played 6 holes off the cuff tonight totally hammered from sitting in the bar. Was loose and killed it it. Still chunked 2 iron shots but hit the rest solid. Getting old sucks.

For greenside chips, keep the weight on your left side (if you hit right handed). Practice by standing only on your left foot.

37/41 on Monday, par 72. I usually start slow but finish strong but that was reversed this time. When I get tired mistakes occur more often.

I like the tips in here. I've been driving the ball great this year but seem to now have trouble with short irons. A complete reversal from previous years where my driver was erradic but I could hit most greens with SW-8 iron.

My lifetime nemesis has always been around the green and from 75 yards in. I'd rather be 100 out than 50/60. Have a hard time with half/three quarter swings. My chipping used to be awful but I've actually gotten better. Totally lack of practice I'm sure. Just dont have time to hit the range or practice green during the week. Putting is all over the place. Sometimes good sometimes terrible.

10 handicap.

.golf domain name is now available if you want to have your own cool domain name ending with .golf

there's more to it than that. Play the ball back off your right toe, move the handle to your left toe, then grip. Also stand close enough to the ball that the toe of the club is closer to the ground than the heel. Then just take a putting stroke.

I watched that Furyk clip probably 5 times before putting that post up yesterday. It's the approach I plan on taking, hoping it works as suggested. I like the idea of using different clubs to get the distance needed. I noticed Furyk seems to play the ball more up in his stance than you're suggesting.

I first looked into the Lefty "hinge and hold" method but it seems a little more complicated in practice than he describes.

Thanks for the tips gents.

Only do the hinge and hold method if you have a ton of time to practice it. It's the method that Tiger uses as well and you saw his short game in the first two tourneys this year when he hadn't put any practice time into it.

It definitely gives you the ability to have more control and make some incredible chip shots when you're used to using it, but it takes a ton of feel to do correctly. That feel only comes about with tons of practice. Do it slightly incorrect and you'll be chunking chips all day long.

The Furyk, or even better the Dave Pelz method is easier to learn and much easier to master.

I watched that Furyk clip probably 5 times before putting that post up yesterday. It's the approach I plan on taking, hoping it works as suggested. I like the idea of using different clubs to get the distance needed. I noticed Furyk seems to play the ball more up in his stance than you're suggesting.

I first looked into the Lefty "hinge and hold" method but it seems a little more complicated in practice than he describes.

Thanks for the tips gents.
you just need to realize for sure there are multiple ways to chip and pitch.

what I described and what Furyk is describing is the CHIPPING 101 method, for anyone to master, its simple and effective and with practice you can basically just use it as a long putt. the farther back you play the ball in your stance, the lower the trajectory and faster the ball will get on the green and roll like a putt.

its not the only way to do it, but its probably the easiest.

Only do the hinge and hold method if you have a ton of time to practice it. It's the method that Tiger uses as well and you saw his short game in the first two tourneys this year when he hadn't put any practice time into it.

It definitely gives you the ability to have more control and make some incredible chip shots when you're used to using it, but it takes a ton of feel to do correctly. That feel only comes about with tons of practice. Do it slightly incorrect and you'll be chunking chips all day long.

The Furyk, or even better the Dave Pelz method is easier to learn and much easier to master.
Right. Until I found a video of a guy actually analyzing Phil's follow through in the same video he uses to describe the method, it seemed fairly simple. But then the guy was showing that while Phil was talking about holding still, the angle between his arms and the club was increasing dramatically as he followed through.

When I called my short game a disaster yesterday, I wasn't exaggerating. So I'm just looking to crank out singles and the occasional double and not going for the home run and the Furyk method seems to fit that.

41 - Out

46 - In

5 fairways, 4 GIR, 36 putts. played one ball through 18 holes (can't remember the last time that happened). too many bogeys on the back nine and not enough pars, due to mostly being out of position from the second shot. had a good run of pars on the front though.

45 - Out

49 - In

2 fairways, 2 GIR, 31 putts. went out as a single and got paired with a guy that i've known for a few years and a couple of his buddies. they all wanted to play from the back tees (i normally play whites at this course) so i played with them from the blues. hit a worm-burner drive on #1, put an 8i to about six feet from 150, and rolled in a birdie putt. yea! and then it went to ####....

-water off the tee on #2

-topped drive on #3 (ball went about 4')

-OB on #9

-water on #10

and on and on and on. a couple more OB on the back nine plus three more topped drives. caught as many bad bounces and unlucky lies as possible. haven't felt this disappointed after a round in a couple of years. gonna put the clubs away for a few weeks and try to forget yesterday.

Just found out I get to play Chicago Golf Club this year. Buddy of mine won a free foursome there in a charity pro am for the local junior golf assoc. Looks like we are setting it up for June.

:pickle:
I grew up about 1 mile from Chicago Golf Club, caddied there for years, and played the course about 20 times. Great course, tough but very fair. It's wide open, but hopefully you play when it's not really windy. Keep the ball out of the prairie grass........you will have a tough time finding your ball, let alone hit it out.

couple of pointers, based on my foggy memory

Number 8 - blind tee shot, target is right over the big mound that's in front of you....about 150 or so yards from the tee. If you have caddies, they will sit on that mound.

Many holes have false fronts so you have to carry it deeper into the green

Number 7 will look short, but don't let the bunkers in front fool you......the second one is well short of the green......it's a full 200 or so yards.

First 4 holes are hard, especially #2.

Here is a link where you can see pictures of the course.

http://www.golftripper.com/chicago-golf-club/

Have a great time......not many get the privilege of playing Chicago Golf Club.....probably the hardest course to play in the Chicago area.
We are set to play next Thursday at noon. Woooot!!

for an 87. Disappointed as I came out of the gate playing well, which is uncommon for me. Usually I start bad and finish strong. Just the opposite yesterday. But the course was amazing and we had perfect weather. Sunny, 75 and no wind. I had a chance to break 40 on the front, but tripled the par 5 4th. Was 160 out for my third shot and the false front got me and then I three-putted. I pulled off some amazing shots around the greens and made two 40+ foot putts.

I hope to have the chance to play this place again. Very special round and grateful to have the privilege of playing it.

46/46 today

Highlights: 8 one-putts including 4 par saves - one out of the sand on a par-3 (first time I'd ever done that). Only 2 three-putts, both from 50+ feet away.

Lowlights: hit 5/14 fairways and 1/4 greens (par-3) for my lone GIR. Had a lot of trouble with my irons out of the fairway today, just couldn't seem to hit them very well. Luckily my short game was on fire to keep my score down.

Despite a poor ball-striking day overall, it's a huge confidence boost knowing that my short game is capable of doing well.

Started out birdie, par then wheels come off, bogey, triple, bogey, bogey, bogey. Shoot +5 on front, then -1 on back with 3 birds. At the end I feel like I'm so close to shooting in thethe 60's but I just have to pull 18 holes instead of 14. Any tips would be helpful, breaking the 70 barrier is proving much harder than the 80#

i hate you.No swearing. Slamming clubs or yelling
Man what a course. The tee shot at 1 with the clubhouse 10 yards away and everyone watching was terrifying. They had their club championship in the AM, so when we went off late afternoon the greens with lightning fast and the pins were in near impossible locations for a player like me.

Highlights of the round was a sand save on 4 where my bunker shot hit the pin, and I was able to tap in for par. And #6 which Is the hardest hole on the course, draining a 20ft putt (sadly for bogey though).

All in all it was an awesome experience, and the fact that I struck the ball well and still shot a 112 puts things into perspective. But walking that course in near 90 degree weather had me exhausted by the end.

Right. Until I found a video of a guy actually analyzing Phil's follow through in the same video he uses to describe the method, it seemed fairly simple. But then the guy was showing that while Phil was talking about holding still, the angle between his arms and the club was increasing dramatically as he followed through.

When I called my short game a disaster yesterday, I wasn't exaggerating. So I'm just looking to crank out singles and the occasional double and not going for the home run and the Furyk method seems to fit that.
Yeah, this didn't help me very much when I played this weekend. But I know the problem is really not practicing. You can't fix these things on the course with single shots here and there. If I don't get a chance to do this one day after work this week, I'm going to cancel my tee time this weekend and go to a practice area for a few hours and really dedicate myself to working on it.

Had a solid front 9 (for me) with a 46 but went 51 on the back. Started to fade a little bit in the heat.

But I did see something I never saw before. My buddy was teeing off with his driver and as he was about to strike the ball, the head snapped off the shaft clean. It was pretty new and he didn't have a mi#### (edit: ha...mis-hit) before...no clue how that happened.

Yeah, this didn't help me very much when I played this weekend. But I know the problem is really not practicing. You can't fix these things on the course with single shots here and there. If I don't get a chance to do this one day after work this week, I'm going to cancel my tee time this weekend and go to a practice area for a few hours and really dedicate myself to working on it.

Had a solid front 9 (for me) with a 46 but went 51 on the back. Started to fade a little bit in the heat.

But I did see something I never saw before. My buddy was teeing off with his driver and as he was about to strike the ball, the head snapped off the shaft clean. It was pretty new and he didn't have a mi#### (edit: ha...mis-hit) before...no clue how that happened.
Yeah. I wish there was a magical way to get better at chipping without just putting in hours, but we aren't that lucky. Just find yourself a swing you can repeat(like Furyk's) and hit enough chips with it that you really get the feel for it. That's the only way to go. Pay attention to your mental approach too. I have to tell myself to attack the chips and trust my motion, as a lot of times I will stand over the ball and second guess myself. That's a guaranteed terrible shot if I don't trust the swing.

Yeah. I wish there was a magical way to get better at chipping without just putting in hours, but we aren't that lucky. Just find yourself a swing you can repeat(like Furyk's) and hit enough chips with it that you really get the feel for it. That's the only way to go. Pay attention to your mental approach too. I have to tell myself to attack the chips and trust my motion, as a lot of times I will stand over the ball and second guess myself. That's a guaranteed terrible shot if I don't trust the swing.
couple things. take 3 balls only. chip all 3 to one pin on the practice green and then go hit the putts. You are trying to go 3 for 3 on the up and down, one chip, one putt.

don't leave the green until you go 3 for 3 at least once.

other thing is, instead of just trying to practice chipping, look at the pin and try to make it. Your mental approach on chips should always be your going to sink it, just the same way you think about putts.

Finally played Oakland Hills yesterday. The place just reeks of history and tradition and stuffier than a cigar bar without ventilation. Dark leather and mahogany everywhere in the clubhouse.

The course itself is beyond nice. Every single thing about the course is in perfect condition. I shot a 103 from the blues. 50-53 and to be honest I did not play that bad. A caddie played with us or I would have been 10 higher. The Blues played around 67-6800. I belonged on the whites but I was just a guest and did not make the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread