What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (1 Viewer)

MisfitBlondes said:
I will begin a countdown of the plays. I currently have 89 plays, waiting for 1 by thatguy. Without any further ado:

One Point Plays:

Chess

Tommy

Everyman

Play

Almost every play I am reviewing in this list is awfully good in one way or another. However, if there are any exceptions, we're going to find them here and in the 2 pointers.

Chess, as I wrote earlier, had tons of talent behind it. The composers were the two brothers that formed the "B"s in Abba, the lyricist was the great Tim Rice (whose greatest contribution as a lyricist, Evita, was not drafted) and it starred Murray Head, who was so great as Judas in the original soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar. Sadly, this work just does not hold up. The songs are average and not really memorable. It was not a bad musical, just mediocre.

I don't want to call 1776 poor either. After all, it did win the Tony Award for best musical of 1969. But it's largely forgotten now, certainly no classic, and I can only guess the reason Yankee drafted it was part of his theme. Compared to the other plays drafted, it unfortunately deserves it's poor ranking.

The Who's Tommy has some of the best music in any musical selected. Songs like "Pinball Wizard", "1921", "Sensation", "Sally Simpson" are among the best that rock music has ever offered. But they made little sense as a coherent story on the original album and they make less sense on state. This was the first attempt by theatre producers, apparently out of new material, to come up with musicals based on pop music already familiar to their audience. It's a very successful formula, as seen by this work, Mamma Mia, and many others. But it doesn't make for good theatre.

Everyman was a 17th century morality play with nothing to show for it except historical importance. There is little talent here.

Play by Samuel Beckett, is my most controversial selection for one point. It was an "art" play, with characters muttering unintelligible crap with their heads sticking out of urns. To this day, critics ponder over it's hidden meanings. I see it as analagous to Marcel Duchamp's toilet, and that's where it belongs.
What a surprise. Tim "agrees" not to rank my plays and Krista ranked them this way...
My rankings for MfB plays so far:

1. Rocky Horror Show - Tier 3/4

2. The Crucible - Tier 1/2

3. Play - Tier 2
It seems Timmy has a problem keeping his word. You're a real class act, Timmy. :thumbdown:
Oops, I forgot those were yours. I should probably rerank, after he finishes his list. I know you guys don't like each other, but I really don't think it was intentional.

Wumpst... it's not a word, but it should be one. Discuss.
Proposed definition?
A google search brought up this:Wumpst: n. A mythical creature of Dee-Nee legend who, if spotted online, is said to grant its discoverer 3 wishes. Legend has it that wumpst is 118 ft. tall with the head of a dragon and the body of a '76 Brick-Red Chevy Malibu -- Rdub, 6/10/2005
You got pretty lucky in your Google search. A Google image search for Supreme Musical Man brought not a picture of me, but picture of a fat naked guy on a toilet, giving the heil hitler salute. Huh.

MisfitBlondes said:
I will begin a countdown of the plays. I currently have 89 plays, waiting for 1 by thatguy. Without any further ado:

One Point Plays:

Chess

Tommy

Everyman

Play

Almost every play I am reviewing in this list is awfully good in one way or another. However, if there are any exceptions, we're going to find them here and in the 2 pointers.

Chess, as I wrote earlier, had tons of talent behind it. The composers were the two brothers that formed the "B"s in Abba, the lyricist was the great Tim Rice (whose greatest contribution as a lyricist, Evita, was not drafted) and it starred Murray Head, who was so great as Judas in the original soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar. Sadly, this work just does not hold up. The songs are average and not really memorable. It was not a bad musical, just mediocre.

I don't want to call 1776 poor either. After all, it did win the Tony Award for best musical of 1969. But it's largely forgotten now, certainly no classic, and I can only guess the reason Yankee drafted it was part of his theme. Compared to the other plays drafted, it unfortunately deserves it's poor ranking.

The Who's Tommy has some of the best music in any musical selected. Songs like "Pinball Wizard", "1921", "Sensation", "Sally Simpson" are among the best that rock music has ever offered. But they made little sense as a coherent story on the original album and they make less sense on state. This was the first attempt by theatre producers, apparently out of new material, to come up with musicals based on pop music already familiar to their audience. It's a very successful formula, as seen by this work, Mamma Mia, and many others. But it doesn't make for good theatre.

Everyman was a 17th century morality play with nothing to show for it except historical importance. There is little talent here.

Play by Samuel Beckett, is my most controversial selection for one point. It was an "art" play, with characters muttering unintelligible crap with their heads sticking out of urns. To this day, critics ponder over it's hidden meanings. I see it as analagous to Marcel Duchamp's toilet, and that's where it belongs.
What a surprise. Tim "agrees" not to rank my plays and Krista ranked them this way...

3. Play - Tier 2
It seems Timmy has a problem keeping his word. You're a real class act, Timmy. :thumbdown:
Oops, I forgot those were yours. I should probably rerank, after he finishes his list. I know you guys don't like each other, but I really don't think it was intentional.
People, people can't you all just get along...

Seems to me that Ollie Humanzee has put a great deal of thought into these rankings, and went out of his way to clear up drafters' specific doubts regarding his rankings. I don't see what's the problem here.
This.We've had sharp disagreements from various drafters over the judging in every draft. Comes with the territory.So long as we see evidence of thoughtful contemplation over the rankings, and the judge is willing to defend their list, not much more you can ask.The judges that are problematic are the ones who never participate in discussion during the draft or don't lay out their criteria (so you have no clue what they value), just throw up their rankings, then disappear without answering any questions or dismiss anyone who questions them.OH let us know what he was looking (at least in the lit cats, don't remember for this one - but it doesn't really matter, albums/songs should have been more of 'this is great AND its a personal fav or mine' cat than most). He gave sufficient justification for his rankings, and has answered (and likely will continue to address) any questions. That's a good job of judging in my book. I pretty much always 100% of the time disagree with some aspect of rankings - and that's OK.
:thumbdown:

MisfitBlondes said:
MisfitBlondes said:

One Point Plays:

Chess

Tommy

Everyman

Play

3. Play - Tier 2
Why should you have to change it? You ranked them and he failed to keep his word. He's also accused me of having the intention of ranking my compositions ahead of his when we all know the judges don't rank their own selections.
Oh no, I didn't mean "rerank" in terms of my changing my ratings. I meant "rerank" in terms of changing his rankings. I'll still give them points based on my proposed rankings earlier, since no one objected to those.

MisfitBlondes, somehow I had your plays on my list and I forgot they were yours. This was not intentional, and I apologize for my error.

We should have a separate draft just of poems that are great to hear.
OUT
:thumbdown: Hey, was that line in your sig directed at you or someone else?
Me. I love it so much, I am thinking of getting a tattoo version so I can preserve it.
:lol: I keep getting stuck on "synthetic" superiority complex.
I haven't asked for an explanation of any of it, I wouldn't want to ruin it. It came from a thread where someone asked why does North Korea hate the US, and Cross Eyed responded with they hate the US because we have freedom and democracy (or something like that). I responded that North Korea hates us because we have 30,000 troops on their border.

A few posts later... Chad gave me that masterpiece.

I :lol: all political threads.

I haven't asked for an explanation of any of it, I wouldn't want to ruin it. It came from a thread where someone asked why does North Korea hate the US, and Cross Eyed responded with they hate the US because we have freedom and democracy (or something like that). I responded that North Korea hates us because we have 30,000 troops on their border. A few posts later... Chad gave me that masterpiece. I :thumbdown: all political threads.
I can't take my eyes off it.

15 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 4 Anonymous Users)

10 Members: Fennis, Abrantes, ScottNorwood, Hoart Petterson, Postradamus, Bob Lee Swagger, timschochet, TidesofWar, BobbyLayne, the moops

:lol: You got some poetry or acting performances for us? :thumbdown:
get bent.I have a very rough poetry prelim, I guess I'll post it now just to get some discussion, but I have yet to read some of them and these definitely have a bias for those I've read and enjoyed...so these will change, perhaps drastically

Poem tiers

Tier 1

The Iliad – Homer

Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri

The Odyssey – Homer

Paradise Lost - John Milton

The Aeneid – Virgil

The Nibelungenlied

Sonnet 18 - William Shakespeare

Beowulf

The Waste Land - T.S. Eliot

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Tier 2

Jabberwocky - Lewis Carol

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. Eliot

The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe

The Second Coming - William Butler Yeats

Funeral Blues - W.H. Auden

Sonnet 116 -William Shakespeare

The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Because I Could Not Stop For Death - Emily Dickinson

The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost

Song of Myself - Walt Whitman

Tier 3

The Bhagavad Gita

A Nation's Strength - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don Juan - Lord Byron

The New Colossus - Emma Lazarus

When Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom'd - Walt Whitman

If - Rudyard Kipling

Epic of Gilgamesh

O Captain! My Captain! - Walt Whitman

Poem on the Lisbon Disaster - Voltaire

Annabel Lee - Edgar Allan Poe

Tier 4

Nirvana - Charles Bukowski

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night - Dylan Thomas

You Are the Macrocosm – Rumi

The Duino Elegies - Rainer Marie Rilke

Howl - Allen Ginsberg

In Flanders Field - John McRae

First They Came - Pastor Martin Niemöller

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost

Team Guapo’s Poems

For Whom the Bell Tolls - John Donne

The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
Great job here, P. Will be interesting to see which one you pick to get the 20s. Tough, tough decision there.

20 pts: The Thin Blue Line19. When We Were Kings 18. Harlan County, USA 17. Triumph of the Will16. 49 Up15. Crumb14. Koyaanisqatsi13. The Fog of War12. Man on Wire11. Hearts of Darkness10. The Last Waltz9. The Times of Harvey Milk8. Woodstock7. Olympia6. Why We Fight5. Stop Making Sense4. An Inconvenient Truth3. Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
Might as well make these "final", unless we are still waiting for thatguy? I assume we've given up on him? If so, should we delete his other choices from our rankings?Anyway, pending resolution of thatguy issue, here are my final rankings:20 pts: The Thin Blue Line19. When We Were Kings 18. Harlan County, USA 17. 49 Up 16. Triumph of the Will15. Crumb14. Koyaanisqatsi13. The Fog of War12. Man on Wire11. Hearts of Darkness10. The Last Waltz9. Olympia8. The Times of Harvey Milk7. Woodstock6. Why We Fight5. Stop Making Sense4. An Inconvenient Truth3. Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media

Last edited by a moderator:
Picks owed:

Uncle Humuna - 1 (Wildcard)

El Floppo - 3 (B/S, B/S, B/S)

Misfit Blondes - 1 (Philosophical/Political Idea) (don't know where we stand on this one..........)

Thatguy - 10 (Documentary, Invention, Invention, Invention, Movie, Non-fiction Book, Play, T.V. Show, Wildcard, Wildcard) :nerd:

Abrantes - 6 (Invention, Invention, Invention, Philosophical/Political Idea, Scientific Discovery, Scientific Discovery)

Picks owed:

Misfit Blondes - 1 (Philosophical/Political Idea) (don't know where we stand on this one..........)

Thatguy - 10 (Documentary, Invention, Invention, Invention, Movie, Non-fiction Book, Play, T.V. Show, Wildcard, Wildcard) :nerd:

Abrantes - 6 (Invention, Invention, Invention, Philosophical/Political Idea, Scientific Discovery, Scientific Discovery)
You and Krista need to rule on if 10 Commandments can be allowed as a Philosophical/Political Idea. Tim said no, and MfB appealed.

Poetry is yet another form of entertainment that I can do without. I don't find much of any of it moving, nor does any of it really interest me. So, with that requirement of a grain of sand.....

Tell me, what other poens on that list actually have the power that The New Colossus has? How many poems were used to describe an empire welcoming the peoples of the world who sought nothing but a chance at a better life, how they would be treated, and informing the world that this empire was different? How many?

None. That's my guess. Unlike the rest of the poems The New Collosus is a powerful political statement, diplomatic promise and vision of an empire unlike any other in human history. It should be a tier 2 without thinking.

Picks owed:

You and Krista need to rule on if 10 Commandments can be allowed as a Philosophical/Political Idea. Tim said no, and MfB appealed.
I don't have as much problem with its being a philosophical idea as I do the breadth. I'd allow a choice of one of the commandments.

I'd rank Stop Making Sense way above The Last Waltz (the film, not the unedited concert) as a cohesive artistic accomplishment, but won't whine too much, given that they're my two favorite concert films ever.

MisfitBlondes said:
I don't have as much problem with its being a philosophical idea as I do the breadth. I'd allow a choice of one of the commandments.
If I chose only one, it wouldn't be a Decalogue. :bye:
Psssstttt...it's not really a philosophical idea, as many have pointed out. The arguments that it is were lame. I'm being generous. ;)rodg will probably agree with tim anyway.

MisfitBlondes said:
MisfitBlondes said:
Psssstttt...it's not really a philosophical idea, as many have pointed out. The arguments that it is were lame. I'm being generous. ;)rodg will probably agree with tim anyway.
I don't like you. ;)
This is all Fennis' fault.

MisfitBlondes said:
Psssstttt...it's not really a philosophical idea, as many have pointed out. The arguments that it is were lame. I'm being generous. ;)

rodg will probably agree with tim anyway.
Yeah, sorry MfB. I have to agree with tim on this one and not allow it. It's not an idea really. Philosophical or political. Again, sorry. Please re-pick.

Poetry is yet another form of entertainment that I can do without. I don't find much of any of it moving, nor does any of it really interest me. So, with that requirement of a grain of sand.....Tell me, what other poens on that list actually have the power that The New Colossus has? How many poems were used to describe an empire welcoming the peoples of the world who sought nothing but a chance at a better life, how they would be treated, and informing the world that this empire was different? How many?None. That's my guess. Unlike the rest of the poems The New Collosus is a powerful political statement, diplomatic promise and vision of an empire unlike any other in human history. It should be a tier 2 without thinking.
I'm sure that the new immigrants struggling to survive in terrible living conditions, overbearing prejudice, and political corruption were just happy as clams because of what that rock said. :bye:

MisfitBlondes said:
MisfitBlondes said:
If I chose only one, it wouldn't be a Decalogue. ;)
I don't like you. ;)
:bye:

Fourth of all, you have made great contributions to this draft on behalf of MisfitBlondes (just about his only good picks, IMO) so I don't understand why you are lowering yourself by trying to make this argument.

However, since you are on his team, I interpret this argument as an appeal, so I will ask Krista and Rodg to come in and give their opinions.

(I predict that if Krista or Rodg agree with me, we will then get the following post from MisfitBlondes:

That's my pick and I'm not changing it. Tim just has an ego problem and he's jealous of me.... etc.)
Tim, just curious, which of my picks you did you really like?

MisfitBlondes said:
MisfitBlondes said:
MisfitBlondes said:
If I chose only one, it wouldn't be a Decalogue. :thumbdown:
I don't like you. :cry:
Before I agree, is this still Fennis using Krista's account?
Actually I had intended to post that under my TidesofWar alias. :doh:

I'd rank Stop Making Sense way above The Last Waltz (the film, not the unedited concert) as a cohesive artistic accomplishment, but won't whine too much, given that they're my two favorite concert films ever.
Fair enough. I actually think just the opposite, but I find Stop Making Sense the more enjoyable watch.

Fair enough. I actually think just the opposite, but I find Stop Making Sense the more enjoyable watch.
OK, a more sensible argument on my part, then: Stop Making Sense should be ranked above The Last Waltz just out of love for David Byrne's awesomely oversized suit.

Poem tiersTier 1The Iliad – HomerDivine Comedy - Dante AlighieriThe Odyssey – HomerParadise Lost - John MiltonThe Aeneid – VirgilThe NibelungenliedSonnet 18 - William ShakespeareBeowulfThe Waste Land - T.S. EliotThe Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor ColeridgeTier 2Jabberwocky - Lewis CarolThe Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. EliotThe Raven - Edgar Allan PoeThe Second Coming - William Butler YeatsFuneral Blues - W.H. AudenSonnet 116 -William ShakespeareThe Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord TennysonBecause I Could Not Stop For Death - Emily DickinsonThe Road Not Taken - Robert FrostSong of Myself - Walt WhitmanTier 3The Bhagavad GitaA Nation's Strength - Ralph Waldo EmersonDon Juan - Lord ByronThe New Colossus - Emma LazarusWhen Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom'd - Walt WhitmanIf - Rudyard KiplingEpic of GilgameshO Captain! My Captain! - Walt WhitmanPoem on the Lisbon Disaster - VoltaireAnnabel Lee - Edgar Allan PoeTier 4Nirvana - Charles BukowskiDo Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night - Dylan Thomas You Are the Macrocosm – RumiThe Duino Elegies - Rainer Marie RilkeHowl - Allen GinsbergIn Flanders Field - John McRaeFirst They Came - Pastor Martin NiemöllerStopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert FrostTeam Guapo’s PoemsFor Whom the Bell Tolls - John DonneThe Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
:thumbdown: Good rankings, Post.A couple I thought might get pushed into an adjacent tier, but I couldn't make a serious argument for any.

OK, a more sensible argument on my part, then: Stop Making Sense should be ranked above The Last Waltz just out of love for David Byrne's awesomely oversized suit.
Teh awesome. :thumbdown:

OK, a more sensible argument on my part, then: Stop Making Sense should be ranked above The Last Waltz just out of love for David Byrne's awesomely oversized suit. if the judge is smoking crack.
fixored

OK, a more sensible argument on my part, then: Stop Making Sense should be ranked above The Last Waltz just out of love for David Byrne's awesomely oversized suit. if the judge is smoking crack.
fixored
Don't listen to Booby. His opinion doesn't matter unless the work is a series.

MisfitBlondes' Pick

60.07 Scientism (Philosophical Idea)

The term scientism is used to describe the view that natural science has authority over all other interpretations of life, such as philosophical, religious, mythical, spiritual, or humanistic explanations, and over other fields of inquiry, such as the social sciences. The term is used by social scientists like Hayek or Karl Popper to describe what they see as the underlying attitudes and beliefs common to many scientists. They tend to use the term in either of two equally pejorative directions:

1. To indicate the improper usage of science or scientific claims. as a counter-argument to appeals to scientific authority in contexts where science might not apply, such as when the topic is perceived to be beyond the scope of scientific inquiry.

2. To refer to "the belief that the methods of natural science, or the categories and things recognized in natural science, form the only proper elements in any philosophical or other inquiry," with a concomitant "elimination of the psychological dimensions of experience". It thus expresses a position critical of (at least the more extreme expressions of) positivism.

In its most extreme form, scientism is the faith that science has no boundaries, that in due time all human problems and all aspects of human endeavor will be dealt and solved by science alone.

"In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth."

Users who are viewing this thread