What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trent Richardson Landing Spot (3 Viewers)

Talent trumps situation for dynasty player evaluations, imo. That said, because the shelf-life of RBs is often so short, I give situation a little more weight for them than I do a WR. -Still, Richardson should probably be #1 overall in most dynasty formats, regardless of where he ends up.

It has to be either Cleveland or Tampa Bay /thread.
PFT is reporting that the Bucs shopping Aqib Talib for trade. Could be a strong indication that they will go Claiborne if given the choice of the two at 5?
The Bucs are also trying Ronde Barber at Safety during voluntary workouts.Could be a smokescreen though....there is no chance they can actually trade Talib at this point, I don't think.

Not that it matters as much as talent, but what did Richardson score on the Wonderlic?

Last edited by a moderator:
RB Trent Richardson exception to the rule as positional value keeps sliding

By Jason Cole | Yahoo! Sports – Wed, 18 Apr, 2012 3:13 PM EDT

It appears that just about anybody who plays running back is the new Mr. Irrelevant of the NFL draft.

Even someone as good as Trent Richardson of Alabama.

"I love Trent Richardson, everything about him," a personnel executive with an NFC team said in March. "Great football player, loves the game. Great kid, very mature, a leader. Physically, he reminds me of George Rogers and I mean the good George Rogers …"

That's high praise considering that Rogers was the No. 1 pick of the 1981 draft, was the 1980 Heisman Trophy winner and later helped the Washington Redskins win Super Bowl XXII.

Of course, all of that was build-up to the eventual, "But …"

"If you're asking me if I'd take him in the top 10 picks, the answer is no. Not the way the game is played today," said the executive, who is also a former NFL player. "It kind of hurts me to say it, but that's just reality. Look around the league: It's not a running back league anymore."

The 2012 NFL draft figures to further illustrate the accelerating decline in the value of running backs. In 2011, Mark Ingram was the only running back selected in the first round. The only other time that happened since the NFL and AFL merged drafts was in 1984.

This year, it may happen again. Richardson is the only running back considered a lock to go in the first round. Many people believe Richardson will go either No. 4 to the Cleveland Browns or No. 5 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Sources with both teams strongly hinted that Richardson is a consideration at those spots.

Then again, if he doesn't go one to one of those teams, Richardson could be on the board for awhile. After the Bucs, no team has an overwhelming need for a running back until the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 17. And even if Richardson is joined by Boise State's Doug Martin in the first round, this will mark the fewest running backs to go in the opening stanza in back-to-back years.

In other words, one of the most dominant positions in the game's history has become little more than an afterthought.

"You spread people out, try to get the defense out of position, look for a mismatch and then try to hit a crease," said St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who coached Chris Johnson in Tennessee when Johnson ran for 2,006 yards in 2009. Johnson, only 195 pounds, excels in large part because of his exceptional quickness and speed.

"We don't line up and run out of I-formation that much anymore" Fisher said. "The days when you lined up with the running back deep in the backfield and let him watch the blocking develop, that's done. Maybe once in a while or after you've been lucky enough to build up a lead and you're grinding it out in the second half. But that's situational stuff, not your base offense."

The evolution of the NFL as an elaborate seven-on-seven league has been obvious by the explosion of passing numbers. Not only did New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees obliterate the single-season record with 5,476 passing yards (breaking Dan Marino's mark of 5,084 in 1984) in 2011, but Tom Brady (5,235) would have and Matthew Stafford (5,038) was close. Until last year, Marino and Brees were the only passers to eclipse the 5,000-yard mark).

"The idea that you throw to score and run to win has been taken to the extreme," said Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith, whose bell-cow rusher Michael Turner finished third in ground yards (1,340) last season. "It's hard, especially for a defensive coach like me, to sometimes accept that, but that's the nature of the game. It's four and five wideouts, and the short passing game has become the running game."

Receivers such as Wes Welker, Roddy White, Brandon Marshall and Marques Colston have become the extension of the running game. That is particularly true in the regular season, when the officiating tends to tilt toward the passing game.

"You throw it up there and you either get 15 or 20 yards or you get a pass-interference call half the time," New York Jets coach Rex Ryan said, half-joking.

All of that means the running back has become an endangered species, the in-line blocking tight end is no more than a reserve and the true fullback is all but a dinosaur.

During the five drafts from 2007 to 2011, only 14 first-round running backs were selected and just 28 total drafted in the first two rounds. Only Darren McFadden in 2008 was taken with one of the top five picks.

By comparison, from 1988 to 1992 – when eventual Hall of Famers Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith were chosen – 21 running backs were taken in the first round and 38 in the first two. From 1978 to 1982, the numbers were 26 in the first round and 44 overall. Both of those five-year periods came when the NFL had only 28 teams rather than the current 32.

While teams shy away from drafting workhouse-type backs, they're also very protective of their veteran rushers.

"If you have a good running back, you don't want to burn him out. It's all about keep him fresh now," said San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, who limited bullish running back Frank Gore to 282 carries last season. "Frank wants the ball every down and I love that mentality. But you have to be smart, too, and it's my job to make sure he's healthy all season."

Which gets back to Richardson. He's a fabulously talented runner who might have been an overwhelming candidate to be the No. 3 overall pick … 20 years ago.

"Even 10 years ago, you see a player like that and you don't think twice about him," an AFC executive said. "You watch the way he played in those two games against LSU last season [including the national title game] and that's all you really need to know about him. He was everything for Alabama. He was their whole offense. LSU knew it, all the fans knew it and it didn't matter. He was the best offensive player on the field."

For all that praise, the executive stopped short of saying Richardson was a lock to go in the top 10.

"It really just all depends on how you want to build your team," the AFC executive said. "If you're in the minority and you try to build around the running game and defense or you're trying to protect your quarterback because he's limited, then maybe you do it. But there's a lot of thinking that goes into it."

General managers such as Cleveland's Tom Heckert and Tampa Bay's Mark Dominik have to weigh the value of a running back that high in the draft against players who might help the passing game.

Or help defend against it.

"You have to look at all the angles of how a player can help you today versus over the long haul," Dominik said. "I think that one thing that helps is the new structure for rookie contracts. Without the burden of the big signing bonus and making sure that player is going to be with you for five or six years because of the money, you can focus a little more on today."

So, that means the pick is Richardson?

Dominik flashed a wicked grin and walked off without even a hint of an answer.

Running backs aren't worth a top-five pick? Trent Richardson is

By Gregg Doyel | CBSSports.com National Columnist

There's an argument to be made that Alabama's Trent Richardson shouldn't be drafted as early as he'll be drafted next week. And it's a compelling argument. In the past decade, only seven running backs have been picked in the top 10 of the NFL Draft -- and just one of them was worth it: Adrian Peterson, who went No. 7 overall in 2007.

That's the argument against Trent Richardson.

Here's the argument for Trent Richardson: He's better than Adrian Peterson.

That's my position, anyway, and I'm never wrong on this sort of thing. Well, I'm not. In my illustrious career here at CBSSports.com (shaddup), I've weighed in on exactly one top-10 draft pick. It was 2006. The pick was Vince Young. I laughed at it, said he wasn't worthy of the No. 3 pick, said a whole lot of other stuff that angered people in Tennessee and Texas. I was right, of course. I was so right, it's almost embarrassing to brag about it. Vince Young would fail? Well, duh -- who couldn't see that one coming?

Lots of folks, actually. Back in 2006.

Point being, the same sort of fervor will be spoken about Trent Richardson some day, only in the opposite direction, and I want to get out front of that as well. When he's the best running back in the NFL, don't bother saying, "Well, everyone saw that coming." No, everyone didn't. Everyone is saying he's the best running back prospect in 2012, but I'm not seeing a lot of talk that he'll be the best back in the league.

What I'm seeing is a lot of debate about whether Trent Richardson is worth going as early as he's going to go. I've seen it on NFL.com, and I've seen it here at CBSSports.com, and that's just the start. It's everywhere, and it's a fascinating concept: In today's NFL, have running backs been so devalued by the passing explosion -- and their careers so compromised by the league's violence -- that they're no longer a value pick early in the first round?

It's a great question, but I have an even better answer:

He's worth it when he's as good as Trent Richardson.

Again, we haven't seen a guy like this since Adrian Peterson. Before him? Marshall Faulk. Then Barry Sanders. That's how far back you have to go to find three more promising running backs, pre-draft, than Trent Richardson. Along the way, of course, other guys have overachieved. Emmitt Smith, the all-time rushing leader, went 17th overall in 1990. Curtis Martin, the No. 4 all-time rusher, was a third-round pick in 1995. Chris Johnson, the only back to reach 2,000 yards in the past eight years, went 24th overall in 2008. Scouts miss on guys. It happens.

It isn't happening with Richardson, but still his value is being debated. He looks to be headed to Cleveland with the fourth pick, and if that doesn't happen the Bucs are ready to grab him at No. 5, but the debate rages on: Should he go fourth or fifth?

And I say: No -- he should go third.

Look, this is a quarterback's league, so Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III have to go No. 1 and No. 2. A franchise quarterback trumps a superstar running back every time, even this time. But an offensive tackle? No, an offensive tackle doesn't trump Trent Richardson, but that's who the Vikings -- who have Peterson at running back, of course -- are said to be taking with the third overall pick: Southern California tackle Matt Kalil.

Which would just be an enormous mistake. Whether they draft Richardson and trade Peterson, or (much more likely) trade the pick for a ransom, the Vikings should do something -- anything -- to avoid being known as the team, years from now, that used the No. 3 draft pick on a non-quarterback other than Trent Richardson.

Richardson is special, and not just on the field. He's a special young man, which has nothing to do with his ability to run for 1,500 yards but still has value in a league where public relations are vital. Richardson is unselfish enough to have taken a backseat to Mark Ingram at Alabama even though some people at the time suspected -- and now we know -- that Richardson was the better back.

A franchise would be lucky to make Trent Richardson its public face. This is a guy who lost his father and two aunts to cancer, and whose mother is a cancer survivor, so when he heard about a high school senior in nearby Hueytown, Ala., who had beaten cancer -- but didn't have a date to the prom -- Richardson took her to the prom himself.

On the field he's special in a different way. Richardson is lineman-strong in the weight room, where he benches 475 pounds and squats 600, and he uses that strength to protect the ball -- no lost fumbles in two years -- and break tackles. He's Adrian Peterson, is what he is, only short, squatter, more powerful. But just as fast. And with better hands. And a better blocker, too. Watch the third run on this video, where he's too strong for the opposing SEC defensive front, and too fast for its secondary.

He's a physical freak, is Trent Richardson, but he's a running back -- so the question is, how early should a team draft him?

And the answer is: As early as possible. It has been years since the NFL has seen a guy like this. And it'll be years before it sees another.

Polian: Trent Richardson could be draft's top player

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Were Bill Polian still calling the shots for the Indianapolis Colts, Andrew Luck would still be a Colt come April 26.

Given the franchise's precise need -- replacing a first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback -- this makes sense. But that doesn't mean Polian -- now an analyst for ESPN -- believes Luck is necessarily the best talent on the board.

"The two quarterbacks, (Luck and Baylor’s Robert Griffin III) -- because the nature of the position -- followed by Trent Richardson -- because he is such a dynamic player -- sort of set themselves apart,” Polian said Friday, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.

"(Richardson) might be the best player in the draft. You could argue that. He has very few flaws. And even as nit-picky as we get at this time of the year, there’s very little to dislike about him or even very few nits to pick."

Running backs don't have the same cache come draft day as they once did, but Richardson might represent the kind of can't-miss prospect teams will fight to wear their cap next Thursday.

I know it's all speculation until draft day, but assuming Richardson goes to the Browns and they don't add another prominent back to their roster to share the load, where would you draft the Cleveland Brown, Trent Richardson in a re-draft this year (I.e. which RBs would you rank him between)?

I know it's all speculation until draft day, but assuming Richardson goes to the Browns and they don't add another prominent back to their roster to share the load, where would you draft the Cleveland Brown, Trent Richardson in a re-draft this year (I.e. which RBs would you rank him between)?
bell-cow backvery good o-lineamazing playeryou'll need to grab early. talkign rnd1 early rnd2.

Can't imagine him making it to the 2nd round of any redraft this year - guessing 4th RB off the board on potential alone . . .

Can't imagine him making it to the 2nd round of any redraft this year - guessing 4th RB off the board on potential alone . . .
Stud RBs are gonna go first rnd for sure in many leagues.I see him as a end of rnd1, early rnd 2 guy in most redrafts for yr1

Richardson will be a star, but no back is worth a top-five pick in today's NFL

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

During a recent conversation with a scout, I asked him about Alabama running back Trent Richardson.

"He just might be the best player in this draft," the scout said. "He will be a star."

That's the dilemma of Richardson: He is a star who plays a position that is being de-valued in the NFL, a position with a short shelf life and an abundance of players who can do the job -- even if it's not at his level.

That, to me, makes him the toughest evaluation of any player in this draft. You can talk about Dontari Poe and his wonderful athletic ability and lack of plays made or any of the other tough evaluations, but my pick for the toughest is Richardson.

I hear all the talk leading up to the draft of how Richardson should be a high first-round pick -- even from Gregg Doyel here at CBSSports.com -- how his ability to break tackles, run with power, even show some breakaway speed, is the reason a back-needy team has to take him early in the draft.

Runners like him, they say, don't come around all that often, so he has to be a top-10 pick, right?

I beg to differ.

As far as running back rankings go, Richardson is a special player. Even though he isn't big (5-foot-9, 215 pounds) and isn't a burner (4.5 seconds in the 40), he does have that ability to break long runs, even if most of his big ones came against bad teams at Alabama.

As a player, I like him. A lot.

What I don't like is his position.

Here's why: When was the last running back to dominate and take his team to the Super Bowl? Denver's Terrell Davis in 1998? He and Emmitt Smith are the only two runners to lead the league in rushing while playing for a Super Bowl winner.

In case anybody's wondering, the NFL is entering its 15th season since 1998. The game has changed. The back's value has plummeted.

All of the top-five teams in the NFL in passing in 2011 made the playoffs. Only two of the top rushing teams did, and one of those was Denver with Tim Tebow's read-option offense that they ran out of necessity.

Maurice Jones-Drew led the NFL in rushing yards last season. The Jacksonville Jaguars were 5-11. The top five passers in yards were all in the playoffs, two of them (Eli Manning and Tom Brady) played in the Super Bowl and Manning won it.

Here's another cautionary name when talking about Richardson high: Adrian Peterson.

When Peterson came out of Oklahoma, he was considered a can't-miss runner. And he's been that and more. But now he's coming off a torn ACL. While he's a diligent worker and dedicated player, there is no guarantee he will be the same runner he was before the injury.

Richardson isn't as big as Peterson, but he possesses the same type of ability to move the chains. He will be a success.

The question is for how long? And what does it mean?

The New York Giants won a Super Bowl with the 32nd-ranked rushing attack. Three teams in the past five years (the 2008 Cardinals and the 2009 Colts were the others) have finished last in the NFL in rushing and played in the Super Bowl.

Kansas City's Jamaal Charles is another exhibit as to why you don't take Richardson. He was another back considered among the NFL's elite runners heading into 2011. Like Peterson, he tore up a knee.

I expect Richardson to step in and put up big numbers right away for the team that drafts him. He will run over, around, and through tacklers. He will be fun to watch.

But he won't be the reason a team wins a title.

It's just not that way anymore.

That's why he's this draft's dilemma.

That's why I wouldn't take him at the top of the first round, no matter how special a player he might be.

Per @RichCimini, the Jets are looking hard at Trent

At NFL event today, Trent Richardson said #Jets called him Sunday to verify correct contact info just in case they trade up for him. Hmm.
Trent Richardson is the No. 1 player on the Jets' draft board, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported today. #Jets
Overall, I think I'd rather see him go to the Bucs or Browns, entirely because of the Tebow factor

Would love for the Jets to get him, but it will cost too much and they have too many other holes. They need a S, a big WR, a RT and some linebacker/pass rush help.

Report: Bucs might trade up for Trent Richardson

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

Around The League editor

Draft day is finally here. Before we head over to Radio City Music Hall, however, we have a full day on tap of draft rumors. That's just how this goes.

The latest comes from the Cleveland Plain-Dealer: According to their sources, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are very interested in Alabama running back Trent Richardson and might consider trying to trade up to No. 3 to get him. The Browns also appear to covet Richardson at No. 4, although smarter minds than us believe they might wind up taking wide receiver Justin Blackmon. This much is clear: Richardson is very high on most boards, and won't slip out of the top four.

It's a high stakes poker game. There is no need for Tampa to trade up if Cleveland doesn't actually desire Richardson.

Thankfully, we're only half a day away from every team showing their hand.

Why did Jets check Trent Richardson's contact info?

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Writer

Could the New York Jets be planning a stealth strike for running back Trent Richardson?

This nugget from ESPNNewYork.com scribe Rich Cimini left us arching an eyebrow:

Rich Cimini

@RichCimini

At NFL event today, Trent Richardson said #Jets called him Sunday to verify correct contact info just in case they trade up for him. Hmm.

Richardson could go as early as No. 4 to the Cleveland Browns, so getting to Richardson would be extremely costly for the Jets, who currently pick 16th.But one thing to keep in mind: The Jets are adamant about going back to the "ground and pound" attack this season. A fine idea in theory, but they don't appear to have a running back on their roster capable of being the offense's focal point. (Sorry, Shonn Greene.)

General manager Mike Tannenbaum has never been shy on draft day. He has traded up in the first round three times during his tenure with the Jets. Could a fourth instance be on the way?

UPDATE:Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News spoke to one Jets official Wednesday who said, the trade rumors are "ridiculous".

The Jets again disputed the report Thursday when a senior team official told ESPN's Sal Palantonio that there's a "0.0 percent chance" that a trade happens, unless a sweetheart deal is in play. The Jets appear to like Richardson, but the cost of moving up in the draft seems to be too steep for their wallets.

Where is the more desirable team for Richardson to go to....Browns or Bucs?
Great question. Thinking this needs to be a poll predraft.
I want to root one way or the other tonight and can't decide which I prefer.Bucs: better overall surrounding offensive skill-position cast to relieve some pressure. But will have some competition for carries from Blount.Browns: better offensive line talent. Much lesser RB talents produced some decent #'s in the past couple years. Very minimal competition for carries.

I want to root one way or the other tonight and can't decide which I prefer.Bucs: better overall surrounding offensive skill-position cast to relieve some pressure. But will have some competition for carries from Blount.Browns: better offensive line talent. Much lesser RB talents produced some decent #'s in the past couple years. Very minimal competition for carries.
Great debate. If he goes to the Browns he will be a lock for 300+ carries, but he will face the Ravens, Steelers, and Bengals defenses 6x every year!

For as much as I hate factoring this in, I would much prefer Richardson be in the NFC South vs AFC North. Like you said, Cleveland has a nice offensive line that has netted solid RB production lately. But man do I not like six games a year against Baltimore, Pittsburg, and Cincy.ETA: Faust, you beat me to it!

Going to have to disagree regarding the Browns having better offensive line talent. Tampa's addition of Carl Nicks at least puts them equal to Cleveland.

I think the JETS make a splash and grab Richardson. He is a guy who could get that team back over the hump. I bet they see this as well.

I think the JETS make a splash and grab Richardson. He is a guy who could get that team back over the hump. I bet they see this as well.
It's a typical Jets move so it makes sense. Ignore glaring holes and continue to sacrifice much needed depth by dealing picks away.

Richardson owners would not be happy about this one:

Adam Schefter reported on ESPN's SportsCenter draft special Thursday that the Jaguars have "made some calls to move up" with under five hours left before the first round.The Jaguars were known to be a bit infatuated with Trent Richardson as early as the Senior Bowl in January, although those rumors have been nonexistent of late. The player for whom Jacksonville might be targeting is unclear, if it's not the Alabama back. It might also be Justin Blackmon. Per Schefter, there are six teams that have shown interest in trading up in the draft. They are the Jags, Eagles, Patriots, Chargers, Packers, and Bills.

Adam Schefter reported on ESPN's SportsCenter draft special Thursday that the Jaguars have "made some calls to move up" with under five hours left before the first round.The Jaguars were known to be a bit infatuated with Trent Richardson as early as the Senior Bowl in January, although those rumors have been nonexistent of late. The player for whom Jacksonville might be targeting is unclear, if it's not the Alabama back. It might also be Justin Blackmon. Per Schefter, there are six teams that have shown interest in trading up in the draft. They are the Jags, Eagles, Patriots, Chargers, Packers, and Bills.
Just posted a topic on this. That would KILL (i mean KILL) the buzz with Richardson. And the price some people have paid to get to this spot?..Whew!

Adam Schefter reported on ESPN's SportsCenter draft special Thursday that the Jaguars have "made some calls to move up" with under five hours left before the first round.

The Jaguars were known to be a bit infatuated with Trent Richardson as early as the Senior Bowl in January, although those rumors have been nonexistent of late. The player for whom Jacksonville might be targeting is unclear, if it's not the Alabama back. It might also be Justin Blackmon. Per Schefter, there are six teams that have shown interest in trading up in the draft. They are the Jags, Eagles, Patriots, Chargers, Packers, and Bills.
I'm sure the 5 is available if you want to get in front of the Rams.

Just posted a topic on this. That would KILL (i mean KILL) the buzz with Richardson. And the price some people have paid to get to this spot?..Whew!
If it would kill Richardson's buzz, it would certainly hurt MJD's value as well.

Damit.... :kicksrock:
I'm happy for Trent....but I don't want to see his career wasted in Cleveland, getting 1400 yard seasons on a bad team.Hopefully they have a killer draft and begin the decline out of the basement. I'd love to see the fanbase get a great team. Of any fanbase in the NFL, they deserve it.

Trent Richardson in Cleveland would not have been as good as Trent Richardson in TB. TB was a better fit for him in so many ways. Browns get credit for going to get the guy they wanted. Bucs though can only sit back and think what could have been.

I'm happy for Trent....but I don't want to see his career wasted in Cleveland, getting 1400 yard seasons on a bad team.Hopefully they have a killer draft and begin the decline out of the basement. I'd love to see the fanbase get a great team. Of any fanbase in the NFL, they deserve it.
I agree....they have a passionate fanbase...and the Pitt / Balt battle is starting to get old. Could be a great spot. We know they'll be committed to him.

'shader said:
'gump said:
:goodposting: agreed

Here's what I wanna know. How the hell did Ingram get such a huge majority of carries over this guy.

I know Ingram was a bull and won the Heisman, but Trent is special.

Here's what I wanna know. How the hell did Ingram get such a huge majority of carries over this guy.I know Ingram was a bull and won the Heisman, but Trent is special.
I think Trent got better sitting behind Ingram and learning....his vision wasn't as good as it is now, and I credit Ingram a lot for that. Ingram was just a better option when he was a junior...a little less so his senior year, but Trent got hurt.

Here's what I wanna know. How the hell did Ingram get such a huge majority of carries over this guy.I know Ingram was a bull and won the Heisman, but Trent is special.
I think Trent got better sitting behind Ingram and learning....his vision wasn't as good as it is now, and I credit Ingram a lot for that. Ingram was just a better option when he was a junior...a little less so his senior year, but Trent got hurt.
Ingram also is a better RB than last year suggests. He got caught in a full blown RBBC and was injured. That said, Richardson looked a lot better this year than Ingram did his last year at Alabama.

Users who are viewing this thread