What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (1 Viewer)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
As the first night of the NFL Draft has concluded, Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle has not yet been selected. This is not surprising to many, as most draft experts have given him a third to fourth round grade. His 4.63 forty yard dash at the NFL Combine did not help his stock to any degree either. Yet, my evaluation of Randle leads me to believe he will be a much better pro player than most backs who are selected in the third or fourth round of the draft.

In his time at Oklahoma State, Randle rushed for over 3,000 yards and scored 40 touchdowns on the ground. He was a key weapon in the high-powered OSU offense, and gashed Big 12 defenses in his last two seasons. If you put on the film of Joseph in 2011 and 2012, you will clearly see he is a talented and extremely effective runner. However, there is also a good amount of criticism that scouts have thrown Joseph's way.

His previously mentioned 4.63 forty yard dash at the NFL Combine, continued to raise questions about his speed and ability to break long runs. Many teams also feel he has a high-cut frame at 6'1", 205, and does not possess the build to withstand the abuse of a NFL workload, despite his muscular physique. He also has a well-documented issue with ball security, and is viewed as a straight-linish type of runner who lacks elusiveness in the open field. Some even believe that he played in a system that made it easier for him to produce great numbers.

Yet, despite all of the negatives, Randle will be the steal of the draft at the running back position for whichever team selects him. Randle is a powerful runner who gets his pad level down and can fight through opposing defenders. His lack of home run speed and straight linish running style will not matter for a team that wants a back who will pick up tough and solid yardage on a consistent basis. In his time as an OSU Cowboy, Randle never averaged less than 5.2 yards per carry in a season, and was a able to gain positive chunks of yardage regularly. Randle does not try to dance in the backfield, and realizes he is a type of player that will get downhill and attack the heart of a defense The extremely valuable aspects of Randle's game includes his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, and his pass blocking skill. The game today requires backs who can contribute as a receiver, and serve as a solid pass protector. Randle's skill in these areas is somewhat unique to find in a back who is considered as a physical type of runner.

But more than anything, Randle is a tough and competitive back who plays with a high level of energy. Traits like this make offensive linemen want to block for their back just a bit harder. A back that a team can trust and look to for a boost of energy, is a always a good thing to have.

A pass happy team such as the Green Bay Packers could use a back like Randle, who has played in a pass oriented offense at the collegiate level. Randle would also be a good fit for a team that employs a zone-blocking type of running game in their offense. Redskins running back Alfred Morris is a late round back who flourished in a zone blocking scheme as a rookie, and is a good example of what Randle could be for a NFL team.

If Randle can resolve his fumbling issues, and continue to be a durable back, do not be surprised to see him produce in the league with the right team and situation. His skill set converts to the next level well, and he could outperform more heralded backs such as Le'Veon Bell of Michigan State, and Montee Ball of Wisconsin.
http://www.listsport.com/2013/04/joseph-randle-is-most-underrated.html

Last edited by a moderator:
http://newsok.com/the-top-five-games-of-joseph-randles-oklahoma-state-career/article/3795792/?page=2

The Cowboys certainly offer a lot of opportunity for a RB and it looks like Randle can pass block and is a decent receiver as well. I think he could be a lot more relevant than one would think based on the lack of any talk about him around here. I think his opportunity is possibly better than Ball and that they are not that far apart in overall talent. Both are well rounded players. One people consider a top 5 pick while the other might not even be a 2nd round pick? :confused:

Randle was ranked 8th overall from the 19 scouting services I averaged before the draft. He may not have the upside of some of the other RB taken in this years draft but he has the ability and opportunity to be relevant right away in an offense that upgraded their offensive line as well.

Could someone explain why Randle is so over-looked by the FF community?

With the 18th pick of the 5th round of the 2013 NFL draft the Cowboys select Joseph Randle Oaklahoma State and healthiest RB on the roster by default.

Anything's possible I guess but I'm not placing any bets on a 6-0, 204 back who runs a 4.6 40. I don't dislike him but I can't picture him ever being a starting RB except out of necessity.

He's light and slow. What else is there to say why he's overlooked? He was 190 last year and looked much quicker. Put on weight and looks really stiff.

I've never thought Murray was a very good 1st/2nd down back, so you've got my attention. Plus, even people who think Murray is a stud have to admit that he's injury prone. I guess this is where I do this :blackdot: ,right?

He's light and slow. What else is there to say why he's overlooked? He was 190 last year and looked much quicker. Put on weight and looks really stiff.
I haven't seen him enough to say he looks fast or slow, but I worry little about a 4.6 forty. He's built like Reggie Bush or a mini-ADP. Lean, muscular but a decent thickness to his lower body.

His college stats are good and he's not coming in to start. He might even be a DeMarco Murray light, which I think is what the Cowboys wanted. A guy that can step in if Murray goes down and doesn't force the offense to change too much.

The Cowboys run a real tight organization. In this case, Jerry Jones used his connections with OSU booster and billionaire T. Boone Pickens to assist in scouting:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/jerry-jones-friendship-with-t-boone-pickens-mightve-helped-joseph-randle-get-drafted-by-the-cowboys.html/

“We had a lot of great information about his entire Oklahoma State [career],” Jerry Jones said. “I respect and know the coach over there really well. Boone’s one of my three or four best friends there are, and Boone gets you some information over there.”

Other organizations use actual scouts, film, sabermetrics, the combine, interviews and more to evaluate prospects. The Cowboys have an owner sharing scotch and cigars in leather club seats in the old boys club to evaluate talent and make the final call.

LMAO at Jerry acting like he had inside information, like no one had ever heard of the leading rusher in the Big 12 before T. Boone Pickens discovered him.

Other organizations use actual scouts, film, sabermetrics, the combine, interviews and more to evaluate prospects. The Cowboys have an owner sharing scotch and cigars in leather club seats in the old boys club to evaluate talent and make the final call.
You just can't argue with Jerry's recent success doing it his way.

I did not believe you til I noticed it was in all caps....so now it must be true.
Yeah I tried to fix that but when I went into the editing it did not let me. It was all caps when I pasted the title in. Glad that gets more interest than the player himself.

Nice post from Leroy's aces. I happen to think Jerry Jones has become the new Al Davis so I understand why some may discount rookie picks taken by the Cowboys organization because of that as well. I just see a lot of opportunity for a player who is pretty universally considered capable of being a starting RB. A RB who has many of the same skills and abilities as other more highly touted RBs from this rookie class. As I already mentioned, I consider Randle to be similar as a prospect to Ball who was drafted by the Bronco's and I actually like Randles opportunity to get 200 or so touches with the Cowboys slightly better than I like Ball's chances to do the same in Denver. Which in my eyes makes Randle undervalued.

I agree Randle has some upside in that he seems pro game ready with his body type and the offensive scheme OSU employs, and Murray has yet to prove that he can stay entirely healthy. Randle can catch and pass protect, and his tape and career YPC indicate he's a fall forward type of runner, offsetting the likelihood of big negative runs. That said, his 40 time, 3 cone drills, and shuttles don't indicate that he has top end NFL speed, so he's going to have to benefit from amazing blocking in order to score TD's from distance. I like him as a player ready to contribute, and I'd say Jerry is more lucky than good with the pick and that Randle himself will deserve any credit for the player he becomes.

I did not believe you til I noticed it was in all caps....so now it must be true.
Yeah I tried to fix that but when I went into the editing it did not let me. It was all caps when I pasted the title in. Glad that gets more interest than the player himself. Nice post from Leroy's aces. I happen to think Jerry Jones has become the new Al Davis so I understand why some may discount rookie picks taken by the Cowboys organization because of that as well. I just see a lot of opportunity for a player who is pretty universally considered capable of being a starting RB. A RB who has many of the same skills and abilities as other more highly touted RBs from this rookie class. As I already mentioned, I consider Randle to be similar as a prospect to Ball who was drafted by the Bronco's and I actually like Randles opportunity to get 200 or so touches with the Cowboys slightly better than I like Ball's chances to do the same in Denver. Which in my eyes makes Randle undervalued.
I respectfully disagree on Randle's prospects just due to his lack of elite measurables anywhere and the lack of long-term success of other players with similar metrics. 40 time: 4.63Weight (combine): 204Speed score: 88.78 (that is awful)Shuttle: 4.233 cone: 7.01Agility score of 11.24 which is pedestrian (Le'veon Bell was 10.99 at 230 lbs by comparison)Long jump: 9 ft 10 inches (not good at all)Vertical: 34.5 inches (okay, not special) He is not a small, super-fast back like Spiller/Charles, he is not a big goalline-type back and he is not particularly agile like a McCoy or Rice-type. So what does that make him? He was productive in college, I will grant you that. And if Murray gets hurt, I am sure he could step in and be decent for a few games. But I don't see any way a player with his lack of special talents could ever become a cornerstone of your dynasty roster. If so, he would have beat long-shot odds to do it.

I don't think we disagree about that very much LA. I do not see Randle as a long term answer either, and perhaps this is a big part of why people are not excited about Randle as a prospect.

I do see a lot of opportunity however and if he performs well with that opportunity he might present a good sell opportunity if you do not believe in him long term. At the cost of investment I think he will outperform that and present trade value in the near future.

So he's a slow Tatum Bell? sounds like an underrated prospect /sarcasm...

I like me some Lance Dunbar as long as Jerry's not picking the starters...

You just can't argue with Jerry's recent success doing it his way.
Even blind squirrels find a nut every now and then.

Simple question: can Murray keep up this pace and carry total all year?
Murray is the new Adrian Peterson as far as workload goes.I think he's on pace for 424 carries, which would set a new record. Peterson never had over 400 in a season. Larry Johnson holds the record with 416 back in 2006. So it's unlikely he will keep up this pace.

Odds are that they will give Randle more opportunities going forward, but for fantasy purposes I don't think he is startable without an injury to DeMarco. Randle is a must-own in every league though if you have room - even if you don't have DeMarco.

Frisco Police tell KRLD that Randle took approximately $80 worth of cologne and $40 in underwear. Randle was booked and released on bond around 1:20 a..m. Tuesday.
W.

T.

F.

You guys can judge Joseph, but I can tell you from experience that there's no better way to celebrate a big victory than to steal some men's underwear.

I drafted Dunbar in August to back up Murray and another owner took Randle. I'm hoping this lowers his value and allows me to get him on the cheap. I doubt he misses anytime for this idiotic infraction

cstu said:
Frisco Police tell KRLD that Randle took approximately $80 worth of cologne and $40 in underwear. Randle was booked and released on bond around 1:20 a..m. Tuesday.
W.

T.

F.
Steal of the entire season, by far.

Just plain stoopid.

Realistically though, this probably won't affect his availability on the field, right? Unless he can't take a ribbing and gets laughed out of the locker room. I'm sure his locker will be filled with cologne and underwear today by teammates.

LittlePhatty said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Simple question: can Murray keep up this pace and carry total all year?
Murray is the new Adrian Peterson as far as workload goes.I think he's on pace for 424 carries, which would set a new record. Peterson never had over 400 in a season. Larry Johnson holds the record with 416 back in 2006. So it's unlikely he will keep up this pace.

Odds are that they will give Randle more opportunities going forward, but for fantasy purposes I don't think he is startable without an injury to DeMarco. Randle is a must-own in every league though if you have room - even if you don't have DeMarco.
I think the chance of injury is what I was referring to. - 424 carries???

I think the chance of injury is what I was referring to. - 424 carries???
Of course there's always the chance of injury with any player, and Murray has missed games before. He's a hard hitter, and a lot of people think that increases his risk, but I tend to think being the guy who initiates the contact actually lowers injury risk.

Anyway, even without injury I think they have to let Randle spell him more. Randle looked good in limited work against Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread