What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd or Radiohead (1 Viewer)

Who's better?

• Pink Floyd

Votes: 197 87.6%
  • Radiohead

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
Radiohead by a RCH... I Love me some Floyd, but Radiohead's catalog shows a bit more range, creatively.

Tough call though and I'd likely go back and forth. Cant fault either. Much better comparison than Weezer.

Radiohead by a RCH... I Love me some Floyd, but Radiohead's catalog shows a bit more range, creatively.

Tough call though and I'd likely go back and forth. Cant fault either. Much better comparison than Weezer.
How familiar are you with PF, because i think floyd gets the nod in range. By quite a bit actually. Though radiohead seem to get weirder as they go while floyd was the opposite. You can hear the syd barret influence in rh, for sure.

Wha?
It happened, guy. :)

Pretty good discussion here, but you'd be hard pressed to show any band who's shown such a dramatic range of styles, tempos, themes, etc while still remaining brilliant, creatively.

Again... I'm a Floyd fan... but Radiohead are the poster-children for dramatic and ongoing stylistic evolution.

Wha?

Pretty good discussion here, but you'd be hard pressed to show any band who's shown such a dramatic range of styles, tempos, themes, etc while still remaining brilliant, creatively.

Again... I'm a Floyd fan... but Radiohead are the poster-children for dramatic and ongoing stylistic evolution.
I can't articulate my own opinion, but here's a link to some other people that are wrong too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wha?

I can't articulate my own opinion, but here's a link to some other people that are wrong too.
Good point... you guys have shown far more examples and articulated Floyd's evolution much better than I have..

Oh..wait.

Just smoke a fat one tonight and start at the beginning, piper at the gates of dawn. Its in radioheads dna. Huge Syd (and roky erickson) influence on thom and jonny.

Wha?

Good point... you guys have shown far more examples and articulated Floyd's evolution much better than I have..

Oh..wait.
It's not the guy saying water is wet that needs to prove his point, it's the guy saying water is dry that needs to prove his point.

A quick taste of the range of radiohead from Pablo Honey through In Rainbows.... some aren't the tracks I'd have picked but as an easy quick grab it's a start.

We could tack on Lotus Flower from King Of Limbs as a fairly representative sample from that disc.

Rough synopsis with some components taken from various sources, mixed with my own thoughts:

Postpop English guitar pop of Pablo Honey, into a slightly more raw sound of bends with increased use of keys, to the relative minimalization of guitars on OK computer where they really start to get abstract sonically.

From there Yorke's love affair with EDM acts like Aphex Twin take them into one of the more dramatic transitions of any band with the release of Kid A, laden with jazz, drum machines, synths, and strings in a polyrhythmic, almost chaotic arrangements. Amnesiac took a slight step back from Kid A but was similar, thematically.

Hail to the Thief is a political track that regresses a touch toward the comfort of guitars, while still keeping a firm root in their newfound love of Jazz and heavily electronic/synthesized-processed sound.

From there, In Rainbows took another fairly abrupt turn stylistically, attempting (successfully) to fuse more organic classical components (strings, pianos, etc) into the electronic sound creating a fairly unique seductive/"loungey" hybrid.

With King Of Limbs, the band completely changed their recording process to incorporate more sampling and looping of programmed sounds and effects, with ambient textures...as well as more heavy processing of their traditional instruments as well. The result is an intriguing experiment in rhythm/tempo driven by a the fairly unique blend of programming and instrumentation.

Other fans could likely do a better job than I in detailing the twists and turns of radiohead, musically, as I'm throwing this together in 20 mins while gettin ready to head out the door for lunch.

Floyd has morphed musically, for sure, but the evolution of the instruments/sound/tempos/themes by Radiohead combine to show a more profound overall evolution. Different strokes for different folks, however, and I would certainly not say the gap is particularly wide... nor would I discredit Floyd's range.

I do prefer Radiohead a little more but they had the benefit of building upon 20 years of alternative music.

Pink Floyd kind of invented things.

Also, Pink Floyd gets at your soul a lot more than Radiohead IMO.

In all seriousness, I am obviously a Radiohead fan, but IMO no band has ever put out a string of albums that Floyd put together from Meddle through The Wall. 5 fantastic albums in a row and most considered all-timers. That doesn't even take into account their first 2 albums. I would say Radiohead has 4 fantastic albums, so Floyd almost doubles them up on that front, and maybe only OK Computer is an album that feels like it has the scope of one of the best Floyd albums. Pink Floyd easily in this one.

Nobody "compared," nor was it analogous. So boring. :sleep:

I'll wait for the real thread to kick up again. :coffee:

In all seriousness, I am obviously a Radiohead fan, but IMO no band has ever put out a string of albums that Floyd put together from Meddle through The Wall. 5 fantastic albums in a row and most considered all-timers. That doesn't even take into account their first 2 albums. I would say Radiohead has 4 fantastic albums, so Floyd almost doubles them up on that front, and maybe only OK Computer is an album that feels like it has the scope of one of the best Floyd albums. Pink Floyd easily in this one.
This. It's not even close.

Wha?
No, it really didn't.
Still waiting for that evidence of more range thru the catalog of Floyd's career... Once they established commercial success, they've essentially kept one foot firmly in "shroom rock" territory while pivoting around poking their head in nearby genres.

Meanwhile, remove Yorke's instantly identifiable vocals, and many tracks from Pablo honey, OK computer, kid A, King of limbs, in rainbows etc aren't readily identifiable as coming from the same band.

Again... I'm a pretty big Floyd fan. They were the soundtrack to My college sophomore and junior year nightly sunsets on our apartment balcony. Overall they're probably a slightly superior band, but I go back and forth on that. The range assertion being so readily dismissed here is pretty entertaining, though.

:popcorn:

[icon] said:
Still waiting for that evidence of more range thru the catalog of Floyd's career...
You sound like you aren't familiar with the Barrett era. I suggested you start at the beginning and hear for yourself. You're not going to get evidence here, you have to listen. They weren't as tied to the blues scale and bloated bar chord structures with him and in the early Gilmour days as they became. They were unhinged in a way that Radiohead has flirted with, but not really matched.

ETA: One of my favorite elements of RH is their instinct to avoid the I-IV-V/blues structures. It alienates a lot of people who need that familiarity, but once you throw that out it forces you to get creative. Like taking training wheels off. Syd with RH's fire power as a band would have ripped a hole the cosmos.

[icon] said:
Still waiting for that evidence of more range thru the catalog of Floyd's career...
You sound like you aren't familiar with the Barrett era. I suggested you start at the beginning and hear for yourself. You're not going to get evidence here, you have to listen. They weren't as tied to the blues scale and bloated bar chord structures with him and in the early Gilmour days as they became. They were unhinged in a way that Radiohead has flirted with, but not really matched.
Floyd style changed with different members at the helm while Radiohead has been together for 30 years at this point and keeps evolving its style together. Not saying either way is better as both are very impressive.

These polls are always subjective and a matter of taste.

But the way I see it is that in another 30 years (when the Stones launch their 80th anniversary tour), we'll still be talking about Pink Floyd (and particularly , Dark Side Of The Moon) as an all-time great. I could be way off, but I don't get that same sense with Radiohead.

What brought this about was a local rock station contest. 64 "greatest albums of all time" were put head to head tournament style and voted upon via text, phone and social media. The final was PF Dark Side vs PF The Wall.

http://challonge.com/2015mmarchmadness

So I was curious if RH fans saw PF as great or just a lesser band compared to RH.

These polls are always subjective and a matter of taste.

But the way I see it is that in another 30 years (when the Stones launch their 80th anniversary tour), we'll still be talking about Pink Floyd (and particularly , Dark Side Of The Moon) as an all-time great. I could be way off, but I don't get that same sense with Radiohead.
I do. DSOTM is nice and all, but it's very well-appointed cumbersome bar chords. OK Computer and Kid A make DSOTM look like Mary Had a Little Lamb. Which is a great jam, don't get me wrong.

What brought this about was a local rock station contest. 64 "greatest albums of all time" were put head to head tournament style and voted upon via text, phone and social media. The final was PF Dark Side vs PF The Wall.

http://challonge.com/2015mmarchmadness

So I was curious if RH fans saw PF as great or just a lesser band compared to RH.
I have no doubt that a mainstream commercial rock station in Philly arrived at that conclusion :)

Users who are viewing this thread