What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd or Radiohead (1 Viewer)

Who's better?

• Pink Floyd

Votes: 197 87.6%
  • Radiohead

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
I disagree with the Radiohead/LZ comparison, but I don't think he meant from a sales or popularity standpoint.
That's how I took his underrated/overrated comment. He said he thought it was a good comparison, but it's a silly comparison IMO. Led Zeppelin is among the few best rock bands of all time. Radiohead isn't.

:shrug:
Really? Maybe not if you want to view them compared to other classic rock bands, but if you want to compare them to the best bands over the last twenty five years, they're in the conversation for top three. Name a more influential band since the early 90's?This whole conversation is a bit of a joke though. Music is highly subjective, people get butt hurt when their favorite bands are dissed, or compared to another band they can't stand. Enjoy what you like, and move on. :D
Serious question. Exactly who is radiohead influencing??

Can you say oh if it wasnt for radiohead we wouldnt have band x or band y??? I dont think so
Muse, without doubt, especially their first few albums. Sigur Ros to a smaller degree.

I disagree with the Radiohead/LZ comparison, but I don't think he meant from a sales or popularity standpoint.
That's how I took his underrated/overrated comment. He said he thought it was a good comparison, but it's a silly comparison IMO. Led Zeppelin is among the few best rock bands of all time. Radiohead isn't.

Really? Maybe not if you want to view them compared to other classic rock bands, but if you want to compare them to the best bands over the last twenty five years, they're in the conversation for top three. Name a more influential band since the early 90's?

This whole conversation is a bit of a joke though. Music is highly subjective, people get butt hurt when their favorite bands are dissed, or compared to another band they can't stand. Enjoy what you like, and move on. :D
In the post you quoted, I said Led Zeppelin is among the best few bands of all time and Radiohead isn't. Even if they are among the best few bands of the past 25 years (not saying they are), that does not equate to being among the best few bands of all time.
As I said, music is highly subjective. I happen to think they're one of the all time greats, albeit I wouldn't classify them as 'classic rock', or even 'electronic rock' as they have changed their styles so much. We get it, your not into them, but that doesn't mean that many people don't hold them in a very high regard.

To some people Radiohead is like a movie that everyone says is great. The movie wins a bunch of awards. The movie is somewhat odd in structure and it's star is an actor who doesn't have that leading man quality. For years these people read and hear what a great movie it is, one of the best of all time. Finally, many years after the movie comes out it is on cable one night. These people watch the movie for 20 minutes and after years and years of build up those 20 minutes come nowhere close to the hype. Fans of the movie argue these people didn't even watch the whole movie. At this point these people don't care to. They have made up their mind. They think the lead actor stinks (they've seen him before and knew he would) and the 20 minutes they watched were "awful". They just watched The Godfather for the 20th time a few weeks back. Now that is a movie. People are really comparing this movie to the Godfather? Laughable.

That's what's going on here. They heard the hype before they could form an opinion on their own. It's almost like an assault on their pride at this point. "I know good music when I hear it, I don't need to be told what is good". What's funny is this is exactly the same pattern of some people with Pink Floyd back in the 60's and 70's. People heard a few Floyd songs back then and just dismissed the band completely. In that respect these bands are similar. History is repeating itself.

To some people Radiohead is like a movie that everyone says is great. The movie wins a bunch of awards. The movie is somewhat odd in structure and it's star is an actor who doesn't have that leading man quality. For years these people read and hear what a great movie it is, one of the best of all time. Finally, many years after the movie comes out it is on cable one night. These people watch the movie for 20 minutes and after years and years of build up those 20 minutes come nowhere close to the hype. Fans of the movie argue these people didn't even watch the whole movie. At this point these people don't care to. They have made up their mind. They think the lead actor stinks (they've seen him before and knew he would) and the 20 minutes they watched were "awful". They just watched The Godfather for the 20th time a few weeks back. Now that is a movie. People are really comparing this movie to the Godfather? Laughable.

That's what's going on here. They heard the hype before they could form an opinion on their own. It's almost like an assault on their pride at this point. "I know good music when I hear it, I don't need to be told what is good". What's funny is this is exactly the same pattern of some people with Pink Floyd back in the 60's and 70's. People heard a few Floyd songs back then and just dismissed the band completely. In that respect these bands are similar. History is repeating itself.
Pretty good way of looking at it.

We probably need to suspend the discussion for 20 years and see, on a relative basis, which band people are still talking about/listening to more. I have a strong feeling it will be Floyd, and many will still be marveling at DSOTM on its 60th anniversary.

Really? Maybe not if you want to view them compared to other classic rock bands, but if you want to compare them to the best bands over the last twenty five years, they're in the conversation for top three. Name a more influential band since the early 90's?This whole conversation is a bit of a joke though. Music is highly subjective, people get butt hurt when their favorite bands are dissed, or compared to another band they can't stand. Enjoy what you like, and move on. :D
Serious question. Exactly who is radiohead influencing??Can you say oh if it wasnt for radiohead we wouldnt have band x or band y??? I dont think so
Muse, without doubt, especially their first few albums. Sigur Ros to a smaller degree.
Everyone makes the comparison but the members of Muse say they listened to Radiohead but don't credit them as being one of their main influences. They credit more to Rage Against the Machine, Depehe Mode, Jeff Buckley and Deftones. They consistently go out of their way to not mention Radiohead as an influence as often as possible. I think that was more a comparison made at the time because of the similar sound.

Seems simpler to say that Radiohead is simply not great. Some people may love them. Good for them. Nice that they found something that they love to listen to. However, comparing Radiohead to Floyd is unrealistic.

Seems simpler to say that Radiohead is simply not great. Some people may love them. Good for them. Nice that they found something that they love to listen to. However, comparing Radiohead to Floyd is unrealistic.
:lmao:

FOGHAT FOREVER

Apple Jack said:
DocHolliday said:
Willie Neslon said:

FOGHAT FOREVER

It's close, but I like Radiohead slightly more than Foghat.
Because of their range?
Yes, lets go with that.
Cool, my second guess was going to be because they were the first band to implement electronic music on account of their awesome time machine.
going to need to tick off more 80's music writer cliches if radionhead is going to get anywhere near the 'hat.E

ETA: always assumed sympathy vote what with thom's busted headlight and jonny's busted grill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really? Maybe not if you want to view them compared to other classic rock bands, but if you want to compare them to the best bands over the last twenty five years, they're in the conversation for top three. Name a more influential band since the early 90's?

This whole conversation is a bit of a joke though. Music is highly subjective, people get butt hurt when their favorite bands are dissed, or compared to another band they can't stand. Enjoy what you like, and move on. :D
In the post you quoted, I said Led Zeppelin is among the best few bands of all time and Radiohead isn't. Even if they are among the best few bands of the past 25 years (not saying they are), that does not equate to being among the best few bands of all time.
As I said, music is highly subjective. I happen to think they're one of the all time greats, albeit I wouldn't classify them as 'classic rock', or even 'electronic rock' as they have changed their styles so much. We get it, your not into them, but that doesn't mean that many people don't hold them in a very high regard.
Not true at all. I like them a lot. I just don't think they belong in the all time great conversation. :shrug:

I've been thinking about this topic a lot of late and all I end up doing is diving deeper into Radiohead and Jonny and Thom's side projects. Jonny especially is an amazing artist.

I also have cone to the realization that they are my personal #2 band behind LZ.

Not true at all. I like them a lot. I just don't think they belong in the all time great conversation. :shrug:
:banned: Fair enough.

Couldn't believe there was a poll for this...and then saw 4 pages of debate and had to click to find out how in the Holy hell?

Then saw the poll totals and realized everything was OK...nothing to see here.

Surprised Radiohead did as well as it did in the vote. Pink Floyd's DSOTM was on the charts longer than the age of some of the posters here.

Willie Neslon said:

This is kinda how I feel about Floyd... but I guess I just don't smoke enough weed. :shrug:

Willie Neslon said:

This is kinda how I feel about Floyd... but I guess I just don't smoke enough weed. :shrug:
:rolleyes:

I've been thinking about this topic a lot of late and all I end up doing is diving deeper into Radiohead and Jonny and Thom's side projects. Jonny especially is an amazing artist.

I also have cone to the realization that they are my personal #2 band behind LZ.
I know they grate on a lot of people, but I really like the work he is doing on movie scores. Still haven't been a big fan of Thom's side projects.

ETA: do you have all their special edition albums and B-sides? Some amazing songs there, especially in the Ok Computer days. I also had a couple DVD concerts I would throw in every once in a while for a fix and had way too many bootlegs. I ended up listening a lot more to the live stuff than album stuff.

Willie Neslon said:

:rolleyes:
:unhook&throwsback:

The Madcap Laughs >>>>>> all Radiohead side projects combined

I do like Jonny's scores though. Grating is kind of his thing.

I know they grate on a lot of people, but I really like the work he is doing on movie scores. Still haven't been a big fan of Thom's side projects.

ETA: do you have all their special edition albums and B-sides? Some amazing songs there, especially in the Ok Computer days. I also had a couple DVD concerts I would throw in every once in a while for a fix and had way too many bootlegs. I ended up listening a lot more to the live stuff than album stuff.
No, I've never put the time or money into diving too deep. Best I did was a great bootleg that I wore out until my entire CD collection was stolen. Haven't really invested much into music since then (that was about 2001).

For those thinking this debate will never be close....check out this poll on a more music oriented forum.

Radiohead is legit, no matter what you fogies seem to think.
Also, on this site, which is very popular (all of those top albums have 20,000 plus votes), Radiohead has the number 1 and 6 ranked albums of all-time.

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time

Of course, no site or ranking is perfect, and I still think Floyd is better, but having two of the top six albums on a site that popular ain't bad.

Ghost Rider said:
Jayrod said:
For those thinking this debate will never be close....check out this poll on a more music oriented forum.

Also, on this site, which is very popular (all of those top albums have 20,000 plus votes), Radiohead has the number 1 and 6 ranked albums of all-time.

Of course, no site or ranking is perfect, and I still think Floyd is better, but having two of the top six albums on a site that popular ain't bad.
From top 200 on that site:

Floyd: DSOTM (2), WYWH (4), Animals (32), Piper (82), Meddle (83), Wall (102)

Radiohead: OK (1), Kid A (6), Bends (45), Rainbows (59), Amnesiac (126)

Floyd wins on quality and quantity based on those poll results, though that is a strong showing for Radiohead. It is worth noting that the demographics on that site seem to skew more than average towards college students, which probably skews the results a bit.

Ghost Rider said:
Jayrod said:

Floyd wins on quality and quantity based on those poll results, though that is a strong showing for Radiohead. It is worth noting that the demographics on that site seem to skew more than average towards college students, which probably skews the results a bit.
King Crimson? WTF? :lmao:

Jayrod said:

No, I've never put the time or money into diving too deep. Best I did was a great bootleg that I wore out until my entire CD collection was stolen. Haven't really invested much into music since then (that was about 2001).
if you have spotify, all the special editions are on there.

Ghost Rider said:
Jayrod said:

That's perhaps a rather high of a ranking of In The Court Of The Crimson King in an all-time poll, but I don't have a major beef with that position - it's a fantastic album.

Ghost Rider said:
Jayrod said:

And FBG all suburban dude who has bought all of 10 releases since Appetite for Destruction with five being replacements for AFD contingent tends to skew them a bit as well. The non-Northern Voice polling around here always leans heavily toward classic rock radio.

Ghost Rider said:
Jayrod said:

Agreed, but it still shows how popular and highly-regarded Radiohead is.

Ghost Rider said:
Jayrod said:

That's perhaps a rather high of a ranking of In The Court Of The Crimson King in an all-time poll, but I don't have a major beef with that position - it's a fantastic album.
Agreed. While there were prog rock albums before it, that album is often considered the first majorly influential prog rock record, and like prog rock or not, some of the best and most popular rock bands ever are labeled progressive rock, so it's one of the rock's most important and popular subgenres.

Users who are viewing this thread