What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumbest death of the weekend (1 Viewer)

How many future MENSA candidates were removed from the gene pool?

• ZERO

Votes: 118 79.2%
  • More than zero

Votes: 31 20.8%

• Total voters

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers
Alligator guy

Orange County Justice of the Peace Rodney Price told CNN affiliate KFDM that Woodward ignored verbal warnings and a posted "No Swimming Alligators" sign and seemed to mock the deadly creatures before going in the water.

"He removed his shirt, removed his billfold ... someone shouted a warning and he said 'blank the alligators' and jumped in to the water and almost immediately yelled for help," Price said.

The "No Swimming Alligators" sign was posted this week after a 10-foot alligator was spotted in the bayou waters.
Fireworks guy

Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in eastern Maine, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.

Staples, 22, of Calais, a small city on the Canadian border, placed a reloadable fireworks mortar tube on his head and told his friends he was going to light it, McCausland said. But his friends urged him to stop.

"Apparently, he thought that was a great idea," McCausland said. "His friends they thought dissuaded him from doing it, and the next thing they knew, he ignited the fireworks and he was killed instantly."

Last edited by a moderator:
[post=[URL="http://www.kctv5.com/story/29477088/man-shoots-off-firework-from-top-of-his-head-dies-instantly%27%5DThis"]http://www.kctv5.com/story/29477088/man-shoots-off-firework-from-top-of-his-head-dies-instantly]This[/URL]

CALAIS, Maine (AP) - A 22-year-old man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, killing him instantly, authorities said Sunday.

So, did the firework explode in the tube, more or less on the guys head, or did it deploy properly and just the concussion and the recoil from the launch do him in?

So, did the firework explode in the tube, more or less on the guys head, or did it deploy properly and just the concussion and the recoil from the launch do him in?
Yeah...I was trying to envision this too. It sounds like he put the mortar tube on his head and shot it off. I'm imagining it's just like you would set them off "normally" off the ground, but the tube was on his head. I'm shocked that killed him unless we are talking about those huge professional mortars.

Now if he set the mortar round directly on his head (no tube), that's a different story.

Yeah...I was trying to envision this too. It sounds like he put the mortar tube on his head and shot it off. I'm imagining it's just like you would set them off "normally" off the ground, but the tube was on his head. I'm shocked that killed him unless we are talking about those huge professional mortars.

Now if he set the mortar round directly on his head (no tube), that's a different story.
I know shock waves can be quite disruptive, and that there is a fairly significant explosion to launch those mortar rounds, light as they are, several hundred feet in the air, but I did not envision the hydrostatic shock being that significant. Did it tear major blood vessels, scramble the innards, what was the medical cause of death? Was this from the force of the firework operating correctly, or from a catastrophic failure? Inquiring minds want to know. Can we get a googlefu expert on this?

I don't get it either, seems like as long as the force wasn't contained it would burn him probably pretty bad, but force would be allowed to escape in all directions vs only go down into his head?

Staples's brother Cody told the Daily News of New York that he was a few feet away when his brother lit the firework and was the first to come to his side after it exploded.

"There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there," said 25-year-old Cody Staples, who called it an accident.
Sounds like he sploded. I don't think that was just the force of the tube.

I don't get it either, seems like as long as the force wasn't contained it would burn him probably pretty bad, but force would be allowed to escape in all directions vs only go down into his head?
I read a report where an eyewitness said his head was gone. He'll never be head of a major corporation...

Supposedly the guy that died used to play Gaston at Walt Disney World.

I know shock waves can be quite disruptive, and that there is a fairly significant explosion to launch those mortar rounds, light as they are, several hundred feet in the air, but I did not envision the hydrostatic shock being that significant. Did it tear major blood vessels, scramble the innards, what was the medical cause of death? Was this from the force of the firework operating correctly, or from a catastrophic failure? Inquiring minds want to know. Can we get a googlefu expert on this?
So I've stood maybe 4' from a decent sized non-professional (bought at Phantom Fireworks) mortar when they went off...It's loud, and it makes a nice thud...the thing was sitting on a board, and it didn't break the board in half.

If the thing was in a tube, I'd still be shocked if it killed him assuming the tube didn't blow up or the shell didn't prematurely explode. I'm really bad at calculus, but using some random calculators, if you assume that mortar was like 1/3 lb (which I think is heavy), and launched to a height of 500' (which I think is high), I'm still getting downward forces way under 10 lbs, which I feel is nowhere near enough to kill someone. Again, my calc is bad...these are just estimates. I know mortars have more impact force than a comparably high-flying rocket b/c the rocket can deliver thrust over a period of time, whereas the mortar has an instantaneous blast, but I still don't get it assuming these are the same mortars I'm used to seeing.

It's been a long time since I've shot those off myself, so I really don't remember the mortars. Is there a "right side up?" What if he put it upside down in the tube would it just push straight down, staying in the tube and exploding right there?

Were both blackout drunk?

I assume so, and that's the only reason I feel bad for them.

I think we've all been near blackout drunk and done something that could have potentially severely harmed or injured us and gotten lucky. Whether it be driving, attempting some sort of stunt... or walking home along a potentially unsafe path.

Now, both of these things seem really stupid, no question about it... but I've often woken up from a horrible drunken stupor in my 20's and been thankful I was unharmed and alive.

Could it just be that with the general non-stability of the human body as a launch platform, his neck/legs/etc. compacted to enough of a degree to negate the upward momentum, and the thing stayed at home base throughout launch, then exploded right there on or near his dome?

I'm guessing it HAD to have been loaded upside down, and just ignited directly on his head.

Another guy was injured last weekend trying to launch mortars that were loaded upside down.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/07/allendale_man_misfires_60_gram.html

Youtube videos show that when loaded upside down it pretty much just ignites right there inside the tube.
Loaded upside down, that possibility never occurred to me.
It's why they pay me the big bucks.**

**I really don't make much

Were both blackout drunk?

I assume so, and that's the only reason I feel bad for them.

I think we've all been near blackout drunk and done something that could have potentially severely harmed or injured us and gotten lucky. Whether it be driving, attempting some sort of stunt... or walking home along a potentially unsafe path.

Now, both of these things seem really stupid, no question about it... but I've often woken up from a horrible drunken stupor in my 20's and been thankful I was unharmed and alive.
Definitely. I can relate to both to some degree, although jumping into water at night is not my thing (particularly in an area where there are gators within any reasonable distance). The fireworks guy was clearly wasted, and nobody stopped him (I'm guessing that they were all drunk as well). At least he never felt it coming. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much alcohol was involved with the gator story. It sounds like he may have just been stupid/naive (and not from the area). And, he most certainly felt it coming, once the gator(s) attacked. What a shltty way to go.

Speaking of which, did you hear about the two guys in Wisconsin who died after falling into a manure pit? Ooof. :X

Can't blame the first guy. The sign clearly says that there are no swimming alligators in the area. He was mislead.
poor grammar can kill you.

Is yelling "**** the gators" considered taunting the gators? Do they speak English? Cajun maybe?
I thought that was a bit odd as well. Like the gators wouldn't have messed with him, if he hadn't taunted them first. They sure taught HIM a lesson. :lol:

That baby lived. Surely there must be dumber parents out there who weren't so fortunate.

ETA: Here's one.
Leaving your 10 month old child in a float unnattended in the ocean is untoppable IMO.

Honestly, it feels like they were trying to kill the baby bc nobody is that stupid.
Aww... that stuff happens. Parents set the kid up on the beach it sounds like. Tide comes in, washes the screaming brat out into the ocean while the parents sleep. :kicksrock:

Now, storing loaded, unlocked firearms in the same house as a small child? That's pretty dumb.

That baby lived. Surely there must be dumber parents out there who weren't so fortunate.

ETA: Here's one.
Leaving your 10 month old child in a float unnattended in the ocean is untoppable IMO.

Honestly, it feels like they were trying to kill the baby bc nobody is that stupid.
Aww... that stuff happens.
JCakes will not be babysitting FCjr.

Google suicide by m 80 and you will see some horrifying pics. People are out of their minds.

If you use quick rapid-succession photography, you'll see that standard mortar rounds actually release a huge fireball for a split second when they launch.

Two quick-succession pics I snapped Saturday night That is the same launch a split second later.

No, that tube was not blown up and the mortar didn't misfire. That's what they look like when they go off. Now imagine putting that on your head :lol:

I'm a little disappointed that it is 2015 and we don't have video of either event.

Staples's brother Cody told the Daily News of New York that he was a few feet away when his brother lit the firework and was the first to come to his side after it exploded.

"There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there," said 25-year-old Cody Staples, who called it an accident.
Sounds like he sploded. I don't think that was just the force of the tube.
Wow, mind-blowing.

I don't know about the dumbest and not this weekend, but the killing of that girl on the pier by an illegal immigrant last Wednesday was the most senseless. This is really bothering me. It could happen to anyone and without warning.

Users who are viewing this thread