What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (5 Viewers)

For you guys that are taking Chantix, does your healthcare plan cover the prescription cost? I manage a health plan and we've had a lot of people asking about it, but we don't currently cover it. How much does it cost and how long is the script usually for?

For you guys that are taking Chantix, does your healthcare plan cover the prescription cost? I manage a health plan and we've had a lot of people asking about it, but we don't currently cover it. How much does it cost and how long is the script usually for?
I just checked my insurance website (United Health Care) and its not covered. I read that it costs about $110 per month (dont know how accurate that is), but thats about what I spend on cigarettes a month, so no big deal if true.

I just checked my insurance website (United Health Care) and its not covered. I read that it costs about $110 per month (dont know how accurate that is), but thats about what I spend on cigarettes a month, so no big deal if true.
How long does one generally take it for?

My insurance didn't cover it either. I paid about $120.00 for a month supply and only needed to take it for a week. Today makes 5 weeks without smoking.

Not covered.$130 a month.I got 6 months perscribed, but I may not take it beyond 3 months. I'm gonna play it by ear then.

My insurance didn't cover it either. I paid about $120.00 for a month supply and only needed to take it for a week. Today makes 5 weeks without smoking.
:pickle: Thanks. So it sounds like most plans aren't covering it. I'm not sure why people are complaining if it isn't a maintainence type drug that has be taken on an ongoing basis. Good luck kicking the habit.

The Chantix website says it should be taken for 12 weeks, but I see alot of people saying they only needed if for a few weeks.

Has anyone ever tried to quit through the help of Free & Clear? They have approached us about offering their services and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experiences with them.

Not covered by United Health Care.I've heard cost anywhere from 110 to 130 a month. But I got mine filled at Sam's Club for $97 (you don't need a Sam's Club card to use their pharmacy).

Serious question about the Chantix. I've been reading up on it, and in all the studies the users smoked for the first week while on Chantix. Does this play a part in the drug's success? Does it help with the psychological addiction by making smoking less pleasurable?Just curious if I start Chantix today do I have a better chance of being a permanent non-smoker by smoking for just one more week?Or is that the addiction talking, trying to justify further use?So far:Tues: no nicotineWed: no nicotineThur: 3 pieces of 2mg NicoretteFri: 1 piece of 2mg Nicorette
I think it does help to smoke that first week. Because, after a few days, there really is no longer an "enjoyment" angle on smoking, your only really doing it out of habit. And then its like, well, thats dumb, and then you stop.
Well, I bought a pack of smokes at lunch when I went to get the Chantix filled.I'm sure it's psychological at this point, but I haven't reall had a huge urge to smoke one yet.

Serious question about the Chantix. I've been reading up on it, and in all the studies the users smoked for the first week while on Chantix. Does this play a part in the drug's success? Does it help with the psychological addiction by making smoking less pleasurable?Just curious if I start Chantix today do I have a better chance of being a permanent non-smoker by smoking for just one more week?Or is that the addiction talking, trying to justify further use?So far:Tues: no nicotineWed: no nicotineThur: 3 pieces of 2mg NicoretteFri: 1 piece of 2mg Nicorette
I think it does help to smoke that first week. Because, after a few days, there really is no longer an "enjoyment" angle on smoking, your only really doing it out of habit. And then its like, well, thats dumb, and then you stop.
Well, I bought a pack of smokes at lunch when I went to get the Chantix filled.I'm sure it's psychological at this point, but I haven't reall had a huge urge to smoke one yet.
"Yeah, uh, I need to get this Chantix script filled, and a pack of marlboro reds....for a friend"

"Yeah, uh, I need to get this Chantix script filled, and a pack of marlboro reds....for a friend"
;)

4 days nicotine-free in the books. So far, so good.

I really want a cigarette, but don't feel like I "need" one.

Chantix = miracle drug.

I've had about 12 cigarettes in the past 2 months. Seems like every time I drink I can't resist one.

I had a hangover the other day but didn't smoke the night before. It felt great not to have that ashtrey throat along with the hangover. That was the worst.

Whatever the reason, don't light up. You will try to trick yourself and make deals and be real clever but do not light up. What Daywalker can and what you can do is a completely different thing. Smoking even one cig runs a ridiculously high risk of starting up again for some folks and I am guessing that you are among the easiest to start back up again. I kicked the tobacco habit, greatly reuced my time here, and eliminated chocolate milk from my daily diet in the span of a month.

I convinced myself that one more cig was the cancerous one. The expected weight gain could be reduced easier proactively and spending time here is an activity I associated with smoking. Typing this post is the most I've though about cigs at one sitting for months. Gotta go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why buy a pack? You could have gotten a Wendy's Double Combo Meal with that $.

Whatever the reason, don't light up. You will try to trick yourself and make deals and be real clever but do not light up. What Daywalker can and what you can do is a completely different thing. Smoking even one cig runs a ridiculously high risk of starting up again for some folks and I am guessing that you are among the easiest to start back up again. I kicked the tobacco habit, greatly reuced my time here, and eliminated chocolate milk from my daily diet in the span of a month. I convinced myself that one more cig was the cancerous one. The expected weight gain could be reduced easier proactively and spending time here is an activity I associated with smoking. Typing this post is the most I've though about cigs at one sitting for months. Gotta go.
How long have you been smoke free?

<------- Still not smoking<------- Much :shock: for Chantix
Nice job Hulk.I'm glad Chantix works for you as cold turkey was a very tough 3 days. Do you also have a deep desire to never smoke again?
I wouldn't call it deep. I'm just sick of doing it.I've quit like 15 seperate times and keep going back or sneaking a cig here or there.I really don't have the desire to keep doing that, and I haven't had a smoke for a month now. I'm tired of letting something have that much power over me.

It's been 6 weeks or so and man, I went to a meeting late yesterday afternoon and I saw an old friend on the way. The smell of cig smoke made me nauseous. I've always said that I'd never be "That-annoying-non-smoking-person", but I think I understand them more.

I went to a wedding on Sat, got drunk and didn't even think about smoking. I stayed away from the cigars too, just can't take the chance yet.

It's been 6 weeks or so and man, I went to a meeting late yesterday afternoon and I saw an old friend on the way. The smell of cig smoke made me nauseous. I've always said that I'd never be "That-annoying-non-smoking-person", but I think I understand them more.
You get really tuned into the smell of smoke from cars near you, people smoking outside, and the smell of smoke on people's clothes for a few months after you quit. You start to notice it less as time goes on. Over 15 months and -30 lbs since I quit. :goodposting:

Whatever the reason, don't light up. You will try to trick yourself and make deals and be real clever but do not light up. What Daywalker can and what you can do is a completely different thing. Smoking even one cig runs a ridiculously high risk of starting up again for some folks and I am guessing that you are among the easiest to start back up again. I kicked the tobacco habit, greatly reuced my time here, and eliminated chocolate milk from my daily diet in the span of a month. I convinced myself that one more cig was the cancerous one. The expected weight gain could be reduced easier proactively and spending time here is an activity I associated with smoking. Typing this post is the most I've though about cigs at one sitting for months. Gotta go.
July 18th will be one year.Shuke, I just found out my mom may have Emphesima (sp?) and she quit 20 years ago. As weird as this sounds, you were the first person I thought of on my way home from work. Stick with it. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your wife and kids. Don't make them go through you having the big C or making your wife carry around your oxygen tank. Don't make them go through life without you. As someone who had to grow up without a father, let me just tell you it sucks big time. To this day I cry from missing him and he died when I was just a baby. I don't even have one memory to hold onto.The sooner you can quit, the less chance you have of having problems associated with it.

July 18th will be one year.Shuke, I just found out my mom may have Emphesima (sp?) and she quit 20 years ago. As weird as this sounds, you were the first person I thought of on my way home from work. Stick with it. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your wife and kids. Don't make them go through you having the big C or making your wife carry around your oxygen tank. Don't make them go through life without you. As someone who had to grow up without a father, let me just tell you it sucks big time. To this day I cry from missing him and he died when I was just a baby. I don't even have one memory to hold onto.The sooner you can quit, the less chance you have of having problems associated with it.
Thanks. I'm definitely doing this for my son.

I'm having a really tough time today. Please tell me this gets easier.
It does. You really need to find your motivation. It sounds like being alive for your son is your reason. Draw on that. It gets easier. You're 4 days into a lifetime commitment. It's worth the effort. You'll feel better, have more money, taste food better, smell better. There's lots of benefits, and once you decide that those benefits are more desireable than nicotine, that's when are ready to quit.

Whatever the reason, don't light up. You will try to trick yourself and make deals and be real clever but do not light up. What Daywalker can and what you can do is a completely different thing. Smoking even one cig runs a ridiculously high risk of starting up again for some folks and I am guessing that you are among the easiest to start back up again. I kicked the tobacco habit, greatly reuced my time here, and eliminated chocolate milk from my daily diet in the span of a month.

I convinced myself that one more cig was the cancerous one. The expected weight gain could be reduced easier proactively and spending time here is an activity I associated with smoking. Typing this post is the most I've though about cigs at one sitting for months. Gotta go.
July 18th will be one year.Shuke, I just found out my mom may have Emphesima (sp?) and she quit 20 years ago. As weird as this sounds, you were the first person I thought of on my way home from work. Stick with it. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your wife and kids. Don't make them go through you having the big C or making your wife carry around your oxygen tank. Don't make them go through life without you. As someone who had to grow up without a father, let me just tell you it sucks big time. To this day I cry from missing him and he died when I was just a baby. I don't even have one memory to hold onto.

The sooner you can quit, the less chance you have of having problems associated with it.
That's awesome.Keep at it Shuke!

So has anyone here gone off Chantix yet? Curious if there is another withdrawal period.
I want to hear about this too.
I think I posted this before, but I only took it for a week. I was afraid of what would happen after taking it a long time. The day after I stopped taking it, I had a few dizzy spells are had hardcore cravings that didn't last long at all.Nothing serious.

Well, my heart went into atrial fibrillation Thursday night and I spent all day Friday in the hospital until it finally converted back to normal. Cardiologist thinks that Chantix may have played a role, so she ordered me off it.

10 days without nicotine, but I'm going absolutely crazy right now.

Well, my heart went into atrial fibrillation Thursday night and I spent all day Friday in the hospital until it finally converted back to normal. Cardiologist thinks that Chantix may have played a role, so she ordered me off it. 10 days without nicotine, but I'm going absolutely crazy right now.
No problems before the Chantix?Regardless, this would be enough to get me to stop smoking.

Well, my heart went into atrial fibrillation Thursday night and I spent all day Friday in the hospital until it finally converted back to normal. Cardiologist thinks that Chantix may have played a role, so she ordered me off it. 10 days without nicotine, but I'm going absolutely crazy right now.
Jesus man. Take care.

No problems before the Chantix?
Nope. I also had a lot of coffee on Thursday, and had been taking sudafed around the clock for the past two weeks. Those two things in combination with the Chantix may have caused it. :popcorn:

It was 7 weeks without smoking this past friday.

Went out with a fellas on Friday night, got :clap: :suds: and had a cigar :goodposting: ; it's the first time since I quit the cigs.

The next day I started getting the urges to smoke again :cry: . Felt uneasy and all around crappy most of the day. I didn't cave in, though I really wanted to at one point.

I'm done with cigars too. I can't do this anymore.

P.S. Shuke, please don't kill yourself.

Nope. I also had a lot of coffee on Thursday, and had been taking sudafed around the clock for the past two weeks. Those two things in combination with the Chantix may have caused it. :shrug:
Wow. Stay alive dude. I'm :bag: for recommending the stuff.

Nope. I also had a lot of coffee on Thursday, and had been taking sudafed around the clock for the past two weeks. Those two things in combination with the Chantix may have caused it. :lmao:
Wow. Stay alive dude. I'm :clap: for recommending the stuff.
Don't worry about it. I'm not convinced Chantix was the culprit.

Well, drugs or no drugs, if you're 10 days past your last cig, hang in there.

I knew a guy back when I was in the Army who was taking a supplement w/ ephedra, took a sudafed, and had a bunch of coffee then went for a run... it gave him a heart attack.

You gotta be careful with how many stimulants you're ingesting. I don't think Chantix is a stimulant, but I really don't know.

:) be well man

:lmao: Please take care of yourself.

The only things needed to quit smoking:

1. The desire to quit

2. TOTAL abstinence from nicotine

You either have a stronger will to not smoke or not. It really is that simple.

If you can make it 72 hours while your body goes through nicotine detox, than the rest of the process is mind over matter. Every time you have nicotine however (i.e the cigar smoker), you will have to go through the 72 hour detox period again. It is something which has served as strong motivation for me since I never want to "quit" again.

It seems I developed a little addiction to sudafed as well, if that's possible. Past two days have been a lot better because I've had a little caffiene. I was an absolute wreck on Monday.

Beaten addictions:

Nicotine: 13 days without

Sudafed: 5 days without

Current addictions:

Caffeine: down to about 1.5 cups of coffee a day

Chipotle: twice a week minimum

It seems I developed a little addiction to sudafed as well, if that's possible. Past two days have been a lot better because I've had a little caffiene. I was an absolute wreck on Monday.Beaten addictions:Nicotine: 13 days withoutSudafed: 5 days withoutCurrent addictions:Caffeine: down to about 1.5 cups of coffee a dayChipotle: twice a week minimum
Sudafed? U really get that much off it?

Users who are viewing this thread