What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE sleeper tight end of 2005 will be... (1 Viewer)

Joel Dreessen, NY Jets rookie.

The guy played for a pretty poor Colorado State team, but when he was on the field, he was a man amongst boys. The guy has great talent & can stay in the game in both run & pass situations.

I think he'll take Jolley's job some time this season - maybe before the halfway point. Jolley was handed the starting TE job at OAK on a silver platter & couldn't get the job done. I don't understand why people think a change in venue will change his lack of skills.
To quote Herd, "I'll eat my shoe" if Dreesen starts over Jolley.

LJ SmithWhy ? McNabb threw the ball to TE's like 75 times last season. LJ got about half those and 5 TD's ?75 catches / 10 TD's for LJ Smith

There will be a sleeper named Johnson, but none named Teyo

Eric is my pick
:thumbup: He's going in the 9th and is a lock to be top 5.
I could see a top 5 finish if no one from the mess that is the SF WR corps emerges. Still to finish top 5 he would have to beat out at least one of heap, witten, and shockey - who are all clearly more talented than him. McMichael and Crumpler are also lurking. gutsy call.

There will be a sleeper named Johnson, but none named Teyo

Eric is my pick
:thumbup: He's going in the 9th and is a lock to be top 5.
I could see a top 5 finish if no one from the mess that is the SF WR corps emerges. Still to finish top 5 he would have to beat out at least one of heap, witten, and shockey - who are all clearly more talented than him. McMichael and Crumpler are also lurking. gutsy call.
Well historically TEs 4-8 aren't even a 1 PPG difference between them, so falling anywhere in that range is feasible.Given Heap's constant injury issues in the offseason, Heap won't even be top 10 IMO, especially with the FA acquisition of Mason.

My point is that Johnson is going significantly later than other big name TEs who will produce at approximately the same level.

That is value.

The names that first came to my mind when reading the topic were already covered:TroupeWatsonPollardThe other guy that I want to keep an eye on is Heath Miller, first round draft pick of Pittsburgh. He has a very good supporting cast around him and a coach with some history of utilizing the TE. He probably wont (and shouldn't) be drafted in leagues that don't require TE depth. But he is a guy to watch if you need to fill a spot.

QB Rich Gannon no longer is helping the Raiders win games, but he did help them consummate a trade in the off-season. Gannon spoke at length with Jets G.M. Terry Bradway, giving an endorsement for TE Doug Jolley. Gannon and Bradway know each other from when both were with the Chiefs. Gannon indicated to Bradway that Jolley would have been more productive had Gannon been healthy last season. With Gannon out and QB Kerry Collins in, the Raiders chose to throw more downfield passes to receivers and fewer to tight ends. Partially as a result of Gannon's recommendation, the Jets traded their first-round draft pick to the Raiders for Jolley and a second-round pick.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3685330

Jolley is really under the radar in the mocks and drafts I've seen. Yes, I'm wearing my green tinted glasses, but I think Jolley is a lock or top ten this year..... with upside potential from there. New OC Hiemerdinger loves to use the TE, and Pennington checks down very well, looking for third and fourth open recievers, a very nice combination.

Histoically speaking, each year there are a fairly large grouping of TEs that are within 1 ppg from each other. Here are those pockets from the last few seasons.2004 between TEs 4-82003 between TEs 6-182002 between TEs 7-152001 between TEs 4-16Last year was the first in a while when there was a small pack as opposed to a great big pack. This illustrates to me that there is very little point in investing an mid round pick on a TE not in the top tier. The scoring differential will be so minor that it's worth grabbing two late and they should do almost as well, allowing you to add depth at other positions.

Since when did Jolley become a great fantasy prospect , the guy been a bum since day one. The raiders would have cut his ### had the Jets not been so deperate. I havent even seen Dressen play and im confident he can win the job. Someone enlighten me why theres so many Jolley fans this off season ?!? Watson is a great sleeper , regardless of Graham , they have special plays just for this guy.I can see Desmond Clark getting some extra balls thrown his way this yearI also remember the Chargers planning to use 2 TE setsalot with Ryan Krause and Gates lined up ( take note of Krause when they put him in the last game of the last season)Although Randy McMichael has been consistent for a few years now I truely believe hes capable of moving up to elite TE tier status anyday now.

Shockey will get hurt taking on Dallas S Williams and it'll be Visanthe Shiancoe.Reading this, it's odd how people differ in meaning of the word "sleeper." Reading the TE threads here all spring, somehow Eric Johnson is still undervalued IMO. Very odd because "no one" likes SF's WRs and he was such a popular WW pickup last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when did Jolley become a great fantasy prospect , the guy been a bum since day one. The raiders would have cut his ### had the Jets not been so deperate. I havent even seen Dressen play and im confident he can win the job. Someone enlighten me why theres so many Jolley fans this off season ?!?

Watson is a great sleeper , regardless of Graham , they have special plays just for this guy.

I can see Desmond Clark getting some extra balls thrown his way this year

I also remember the Chargers planning to use 2 TE setsalot with Ryan Krause and Gates lined up ( take note of Krause when they put him in the last game of the last season)

Although Randy McMichael has been consistent for a few years now I truely believe hes capable of moving up to elite TE tier status anyday now.
Who said Jolley was a "great" fantasy prospect? Oakland only targeted Jolley 53 times last year. The Jets, with two "blocking" TE's last year targeted the TE's 62 times. You can expect Jolley to get 80, and possibly more than that this year. That will put hin in the top ten TE's, as far as targets go. The TE is a forgotten weapon in Oakland. You say you never saw Dressen play, but you are sure he can win the job?!? :confused: If Dressen makes the team (instead of the practice squad) it will be because he can beat out Baker. TE Dearth is the long snapper, and one of the best. With a rookie kicker, it's unlikely they would use Dressen as the long snapper this year. Let's see what Jolley can do on a team that will remember that a TE is, in fact, part of a football team, eh? Desmond Clark is in danger of getting released after this year if he doesn't finally do something, according to the reports I've read. But he is one of your sleepers? OK. :rolleyes:

Since when did Jolley become a great fantasy prospect , the guy been a bum since day one. The raiders would have cut his ### had the Jets not been so deperate. I havent even seen Dressen play and im confident he can win the job. Someone enlighten me why theres so many Jolley fans this  off season ?!?

Watson is a great sleeper , regardless of Graham , they have special plays just for this guy.

I can see Desmond Clark getting some extra balls thrown his way this year

I also remember the Chargers planning to use 2 TE setsalot with Ryan Krause and Gates lined up ( take note of Krause when they put him in the last game of the last season)

Although Randy McMichael has been consistent for a few years now I truely believe hes capable of moving up to elite TE tier status anyday now.
Who said Jolley was a "great" fantasy prospect? Oakland only targeted Jolley 53 times last year. The Jets, with two "blocking" TE's last year targeted the TE's 62 times. You can expect Jolley to get 80, and possibly more than that this year. That will put hin in the top ten TE's, as far as targets go. The TE is a forgotten weapon in Oakland. You say you never saw Dressen play, but you are sure he can win the job?!? :confused: If Dressen makes the team (instead of the practice squad) it will be because he can beat out Baker. TE Dearth is the long snapper, and one of the best. With a rookie kicker, it's unlikely they would use Dressen as the long snapper this year. Let's see what Jolley can do on a team that will remember that a TE is, in fact, part of a football team, eh? Desmond Clark is in danger of getting released after this year if he doesn't finally do something, according to the reports I've read. But he is one of your sleepers? OK. :rolleyes:
At least he should be motivated. ;)

Shockey will get hurt taking on Dallas S Williams and it'll be Visanthe Shiancoe.

Reading this, it's odd how people differ in meaning of the word "sleeper." Reading the TE threads here all spring, somehow Eric Johnson is still undervalued IMO. Very odd because "no one" likes SF's WRs and he was such a popular WW pickup last year.
I think Eric Johnson is undervalued for two reasons.1)The QB situation in SF is murky at best.

2)His propensity for injuries.

Shockey will get hurt taking on Dallas S Williams and it'll be Visanthe Shiancoe.

Reading this, it's odd how people differ in meaning of the word "sleeper." Reading the TE threads here all spring, somehow Eric Johnson is still undervalued IMO. Very odd because "no one" likes SF's WRs and he was such a popular WW pickup last year.
I think Eric Johnson is undervalued for two reasons.1)The QB situation in SF is murky at best.

Excellent analysis here

Excellent analysis here
:lmao:

That's interesting. There's definitely room for a TE to breakout in the Cleveland offense given their lack of presence at the WR position, although Edwards may change that somewhat. I still am unsure of Heiden taking some of the production away...if I could be convinced that Shea will be the man at TE, I think we are potentially onto something.

2 words; MATT JONES!! The first time I saw a collection of Moss clips from Marshall in the summer of '98, I new with every molecule of my soul that this guy was the HOLY GRAIL of pigskin. During my Bosnia train-up, my Army buddies were like, "Moss who?" And now he's atop of everyone's board. I see it again in Jones. Whether he lines up as TE or Receiver, you can best believe that he's going to make plenty of noise. Get ya BOSE noise canceling headphones ready now...I'm telling you!

The TE is a forgotten weapon in Oakland. You say you never saw Dressen play, but you are sure he can win the job?!? :confused: If Dressen makes the team (instead of the practice squad) it will be because he can beat out Baker. TE Dearth is the long snapper, and one of the best. With a rookie kicker, it's unlikely they would use Dressen as the long snapper this year. Let's see what Jolley can do on a team that will remember that a TE is, in fact, part of a football team, eh?
DrEEssenDrEEssen

It's Dreessen, not Dressen. With these statements, I'd say you've never seen him play, either. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The TE is a forgotten weapon in Oakland. You say you never saw Dressen play, but you are sure he can win the job?!?  :confused:   If Dressen makes the team (instead of the practice squad) it will be because he can beat out Baker.  TE Dearth is the long snapper, and one of the best. With a rookie kicker, it's unlikely they would use Dressen as the long snapper this year. Let's see what Jolley can do on a team that will remember that a TE is, in fact, part of a football team, eh?
DrEEssenDrEEssen

It's Dreessen, not Dressen. With these statements, I'd say you've never seen him play, either. Please correct me if I am wrong.
No, I never saw him play, and clearly my mispelling of his name means I am a complete idiot and have no clue what I am talking about. I think DrEEssen gets assigned to the taxi squad this year. In 2006, he replaces Dearth, and could challenge to be a starter. I guess I should have known that a sixth round draft pick with 3 TD's in his senior year is a shoo-in to beat out Jolley as the starting TE for the Jets. Have you ever seen Jolley play in college? You want to go on college stats? Jolley buries this guy. If it weren't for the ONE fact that the Jets have a rookie kicker, I do think Dreessen could make the roster. The Jets will keep Baker, because now he's the only good blocking TE they have. With your statements, I'd say you know little about the Jets, and what herm Edwards has said about the TE situation.

The term 'sleeper' is abused. There is no universally accepted definition, but one thing that should be obvious is that anyone who has an ADP that makes him a fantasy starter should not be considered a sleeper.Assuming a 12 team league with 1/2/3/1 as requirements, here are the lowest Antsports (drafts from 6/1) ADP starters:

QB12 Brooks NO

RB24 Taylor Jac

WR36 Houshmandzedeh Cin

TE12 Franks GB

Calling Eric Johnson (ADP 9 for TEs) a sleeper makes about as much sense as calling Matt Hasselbeck (also ADP 9 QB), Curtis Martin (ADP 18 RB), or Donald Driver (ADP 27 WR) sleepers.

Bri, I understand you are calling Johnson undervalued, not a sleeper. I'm just pointing out the gross misuse of the term in this thread. In addition to Johnson, others mentioned in this 'sleeper' thread include Shockey (ADP 6), Clark (ADP 7), and LJ Smith (ADP 11). :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

The term 'sleeper' is abused. There is no universally accepted definition, but one thing that should be obvious is that anyone who has an ADP that makes him a fantasy starter should not be considered a sleeper.Assuming a 12 team league with 1/2/3/1 as requirements, here are the lowest Antsports (drafts from 6/1) ADP starters:

QB12 Brooks NO

RB24 Taylor Jac

WR36 Houshmandzedeh Cin

TE12 Franks GB

Calling Eric Johnson (ADP 9 for TEs) a sleeper makes about as much sense as calling Matt Hasselbeck (also ADP 9 QB), Curtis Martin (ADP 18 RB), or Donald Driver (ADP 27 WR) sleepers.

Bri, I understand you are calling Johnson undervalued, not a sleeper. I'm just pointing out the gross misuse of the term in this thread. In addition to Johnson, others mentioned in this 'sleeper' thread include Shockey (ADP 6), Clark (ADP 7), and LJ Smith (ADP 11). :rolleyes:
:lol: Which leads to my favorite sleeper TE - Tony Gonzalez. I hear he's got talent.

No, I never saw him play, and clearly my mispelling of his name means I am a complete idiot and have no clue what I am talking about. I think DrEEssen gets assigned to the taxi squad this year. In 2006, he replaces Dearth, and could challenge to be a starter. I guess I should have known that a sixth round draft pick with 3 TD's in his senior year is a shoo-in to beat out Jolley as the starting TE for the Jets. Have you ever seen Jolley play in college? You want to go on college stats? Jolley buries this guy. If it weren't for the ONE fact that the Jets have a rookie kicker, I do think Dreessen could make the roster. The Jets will keep Baker, because now he's the only good blocking TE they have. With your statements, I'd say you know little about the Jets, and what herm Edwards has said about the TE situation.
We'll see. I've seen what Jolley is capable of at the pro level. It hasn't amounted to much. Don't underestimate Dreessen just because he played on a poor team. Most teams like TEs who can do both - catch & block. Dreessen can. And he is an outstanding long snapper, which adds to his value.But I'll keep your comments in mind as the season progresses.

QB12 Brooks NO

RB24 Taylor Jac

WR36 Houshmandzedeh Cin

TE12 Franks GB

:lol: Which leads to my favorite sleeper TE - Tony Gonzalez. I hear he's got talent.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: SERIOUSLY

Chocolate milk through the nose, all over the keyboard, screen

lmao, :own3d:

:thumbup:

So what do people think of Jolley and Anderson now?I did pick up Jolleylast week. But he's getting little preseason action, as is Anderson, I think

(on what TE Billy Bajema has done well this preseason to earn a starting role) “Well, Billy’s very smart, very tough. He learns quickly and he’s a good football player. That’s why he’s gotten into the role. He competes well, and really, that’s the reason.”

(on if Bajema moved ahead of (TE) Aaron Walker) “He did, yes, but we’re still shuffling them. We’re still allowing them to compete. It’s a yes and no, because the last week he started and the week before he did not. It’s back and forth. That’s a battle.”

http://www.49ers.com/newsroom/coaches.asp

Users who are viewing this thread