What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sproles "wowing" in Camp (2 Viewers)

LHUCKS

Footballguy
Some excerpts from this article.

"Every day out here, he impresses me even more," quarterback Drew Brees says. "If we can get him out in space, he's going to be a huge threat, a total change-up from the other three guys we've got. I don't know how defensive linemen can find the guy. He's going to be a weapon, that's for sure."

"He has good hands and great stop-and-go quickness," Schottenheimer says. "There is sudden movement about him. We have the luxury here of having a good corps of running backs, but there's a definite fit for him. It's just a matter of how his role expands as he progresses.

"He's really not small. He's short, but he weighs over 190 pounds and is solidly built. He's an exciting offensive prospect."
:popcorn:

I've been a fan of his for a while, but I love the way the article paints him as the underdog...now I really like the kid.- Proud Sproles Dynasty Owner (fifth round in Z31)

Great!We need a new debate about the capabilities of such a small waterbug playing in the NFL. The last debate we had - about Quentin Griffin & his becoming the next Barry Sanders - ended way too soon. :thumbup:

I've been a fan of his for a while, but I love the way the article paints him as the underdog...now I really like the kid.

- Proud Sproles Dynasty Owner (fifth round in Z31)
I like him too and think he will be a great kick returner, but I don't see him doing much on offense. The Chargers are not going to put LT on the bench for him unless he needs a rest and they want to confuse the defense.

sproles will help the chargers win a few games a year and be one of the most electrifying open field runners in the league, but youre barking up the wrong tree if you think he will do anything fantasy wise unless your league counts return yards. jesse chatman and michael turner are quality backups and i dont see sproles getting an appreciable amount of work at RB unless LT and both backups get hurt, and im not even sure that the chargers wouldnt sign a bigger FA back at that point.

Guy that used to have a cube next to me at work was a KSU alumn. He told me last football season that Sproles is amazingly strong for his size. I guess he can squat an insane amount of weight.I'm a big Sproles fan and was hoping that the Cards took him late.

It's not as though the Chargers were without enticing backup options to Tomlinson already...Michael "the Burner" Turner is more than equipped to be a home-run, change of pace threat (he averaged 5.2 YPC last year in a meager 20 carries) and Jess Chatman acquitted himself quite well in LT's absence.

Sproles is a return man who will MAYBE have a few highlight reel plays from scrimmage in very limited action.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - I can verify from seeing Sproles in college that the kid has some amazing ability. You just wish it was knitted to a guy about 5 inches taller & 30 lbs heavier.

Now THAT would be fun to watch. Maybe we would be seeing the next Barry Sanders.

Joe Morris Anyone?

+--------------------------+-------------------------+ | Rushing | Receiving |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1982 nyg | 5 | 15 48 3.2 1 | 8 34 4.2 0 || 1983 nyg | 15 | 35 145 4.1 0 | 2 1 0.5 1 || 1984 nyg | 16 | 133 510 3.8 4 | 12 124 10.3 0 || 1985 nyg | 16 | 294 1336 4.5 21 | 22 212 9.6 0 || 1986 nyg | 15 | 341 1516 4.4 14 | 21 233 11.1 1 || 1987 nyg | 11 | 193 658 3.4 3 | 11 114 10.4 0 || 1988 nyg | 16 | 307 1083 3.5 5 | 22 166 7.5 0 || 1991 cle | 16 | 93 289 3.1 2 | 13 76 5.8 0 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| TOTAL | 110 | 1411 5585 4.0 50 | 111 960 8.6 2 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

wow - an off season fluff piecemove along, nothing to see here
Exactly. It's extremely tough to see Sproles getting enough time to be a FF contributor.Doesn't Chatman's contract end after this season? Turner was a very nice back coming out of SIU. After this season, I'd expect Turner to be LT's primary backup, with Sproles mainly seeing time on special teams and perhaps the extremely occasional third down. If LT went down, I'd expect Turner to be the guy with Sproles perhaps spelling him a little. That's a pretty limited upside.

wow - an off season fluff piece

move along, nothing to see here
Exactly. It's extremely tough to see Sproles getting enough time to be a FF contributor.Doesn't Chatman's contract end after this season? Turner was a very nice back coming out of SIU. After this season, I'd expect Turner to be LT's primary backup, with Sproles mainly seeing time on special teams and perhaps the extremely occasional third down. If LT went down, I'd expect Turner to be the guy with Sproles perhaps spelling him a little. That's a pretty limited upside.
Obviously with the current situation, he's not very valuable...he's more of a dynasty pick.

Great!

We need a new debate about the capabilities of such a small waterbug playing in the NFL. The last debate we had - about Quentin Griffin & his becoming the next Barry Sanders - ended way too soon.

:thumbup:
Blown knees do that to a player's season (that and fumbling woes in Griffin's case).

It's not as though the Chargers were without enticing backup options to Tomlinson already...Michael "the Burner" Turner is more than equipped to be a home-run, change of pace threat (he averaged 5.2 YPC last year in a meager 20 carries) and Jess Chatman acquitted himself quite well in LT's absence.

Sproles is a return man who will MAYBE have a few highlight reel plays from scrimmage in very limited action.
I agree that this is the most likely outcome for Sproles in 2005. He's a dynasty "sleeper" type pick, not a redraft pick, IMO. Depends on how deep a rookie bench an owner has, and how set they are at RB already.

wow - an off season fluff piece

move along, nothing to see here
Obviously with the current situation, he's not very valuable...he's more of a dynasty pick.
sproles is a solid dynasty pick, who does actually have a shot long LONG term, because he was actually pretty durable for a guy his size and was also a decent inside runner for a guy his size. still, in the 4th round of dynasty rookie drafts, im probably looking at one of 2nd tier QBs or 3rd tier WRs before sproles because he is still a long shot.

Great!

We need a new debate about the capabilities of such a small waterbug playing in the NFL.  The last debate we had - about Quentin Griffin & his becoming the next Barry Sanders - ended way too soon.

Blown knees do that to a player's season (that and fumbling woes in Griffin's case).
He sucked before the "blown" knee. Actually, he sucked before he even got the starting job, but not all of us realized it.

Great!

We need a new debate about the capabilities of such a small waterbug playing in the NFL.  The last debate we had - about Quentin Griffin & his becoming the next Barry Sanders - ended way too soon.

He sucked before the "blown" knee. Actually, he sucked before he even got the starting job, but not all of us realized it.
Yeah, dumb guys like Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Bobby Turner were optimistic about his chances behind Denver's OL... :rolleyes:

Great!

Yeah, dumb guys like Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Bobby Turner were optimistic about his chances behind Denver's OL... :rolleyes:
A group of guys that have never made a personnell assesment mistake before.

Great!

Apparently not at RB.Yeah, dumb guys like Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Bobby Turner were optimistic about his chances behind Denver's OL... :rolleyes:
A group of guys that have never made a personnell assesment mistake before.

Great!

Yeah. They screwed the pooch on that one then didn't they?Actually, just because they SAID they were optimistic, doesn't mean they were. Coaches say a lot of interesting things. Griffin was a fill-in until they could get a better man for the job up to speed - but they weren't exactly going to announce that. If they were so darn "optimistic" they wouldn't have drafted Bell so early.

I tried to put the breaks on the Griffin hype long before he started to look like the 5'7" 4th round draft pick he was.

BTW - I can verify from seeing Sproles in college that the kid has some amazing ability. You just wish it was knitted to a guy about 5 inches taller & 30 lbs heavier.

Now THAT would be fun to watch. Maybe we would be seeing the next Barry Sanders.
The guy you are talking about would be 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heaver than sanders whow was 5'7" on a good day - though might have been a true 205.

Joe Morris Anyone?

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

|          Rushing                  |        Receiving        |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year  TM |  G |  Att  Yards    Y/A  TD |  Rec  Yards  Y/R  TD |

| 1982 nyg |  5 |    15    48    3.2      1 |    8    34  4.2    0  |

| 1983 nyg |  15 |    35    145    4.1      0 |    2      1  0.5      1  |

| 1984 nyg |  16 |  133    510    3.8    4 |    12    124  10.3    0  |

| 1985 nyg |  16 |  294  1336    4.5  21 |    22    212  9.6    0  |

| 1986 nyg |  15 |  341  1516    4.4  14 |    21    233  11.1    1 |

| 1987 nyg |  11 |  193    658    3.4    3 |    11    114  10.4    0  |

| 1988 nyg |  16 |  307  1083    3.5    5 |    22    166  7.5    0  |

| 1991 cle  |  16 |    93    289    3.1      2 |    13    76  5.8    0  |

|  TOTAL  | 110 |  1411  5585    4.0  50 |  111    960  8.6    2 |

Luckily Morris didn't play on a team with the best RB in the league.

The guy you are talking about would be 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heaver than sanders whow was 5'7" on a good day - though might have been a true 205.
Barry is listed at 5'8", but either way, bigger than Sproles.

sproles will help the chargers win a few games a year and be one of the most electrifying open field runners in the league, but youre barking up the wrong tree if you think he will do anything fantasy wise unless your league counts return yards. jesse chatman and michael turner are quality backups and i dont see sproles getting an appreciable amount of work at RB unless LT and both backups get hurt, and im not even sure that the chargers wouldnt sign a bigger FA back at that point.
Bloom has it right. Sproles will be the kick returner and punt returner, and he will be in certain passing-down packages. But don't expect more than about three touches per game from scrimmage. (The problem is that LT is a darn good third-down back in his own right.)

I've said it many times, IMHO if Dante Hall holds any value in your league, Sproles is worth just a little more - especially if your league is RB heavy.

In redraft leagues, obviously Sproles has little to no value this year. However if you are in a Dynasty league and can afford to keep him around for a couple of seasons, I see this kid getting an opportunity to get signficant touches down the road and he is a spectacular talent. IT is almost impossible to see him from the snap of the ball until he explodes through the hole and he could certainly slot into a Brian Westbrook type of role down the road for a team. Perhaps it won't be with the Chargers but I believe he will get a shot to do some good things down the road. I love the comparision to Joe Morris, not due to size but due to the length of time it took Joe Morris to emerge as a legitimate # 1 running back. If you can, sit Sproles at the end of your Dynasty bench and practice patience. You may be rewarded for it later on.

Great!

:goodposting: nothing like another "he'll hide from the defense line argument" :lol:

Great!

:lmao: Wimer still defending last year's Q-dog pick

Great!

We need a new debate about the capabilities of such a small waterbug playing in the NFL. The last debate we had - about Quentin Griffin & his becoming the next Barry Sanders - ended way too soon.

Not to mention that nobody was ever saying he was the next Barry Sanders in those debates. I love how people spin. Some people said he was "like" Barry Sanders, or reminiscent of him. Far cry from anyone saying he weas the "next" Barry Sanders.

Great!

I can't believe I'm actually getting sucked into this argument again.Griffin's performance put him squarely on the bench & most likely ended any chance he had to become DEN's featured RB at any time in the future.

3 straight starts - cumulative stats: 58 carries, 139 yds rushing, 0 TDs, 2 fumbles, including one fumble that lead directly to a loss. And this is in the same offense that awakened Rueben Droughn's clinically dead RB career.

Please, Mark, give up this battle. It's not worth fighting and it can't be rationally defended. Shanahan is not going to give Griffin another shot at the job unless he loses about 4 RBs to injury/suspension.

Great!

I can't believe I'm actually getting sucked into this argument again.Griffin's performance put him squarely on the bench & most likely ended any chance he had to become DEN's featured RB at any time in the future.

3 straight starts - cumulative stats: 58 carries, 139 yds rushing, 0 TDs, 2 fumbles, including one fumble that lead directly to a loss. And this is in the same offense that awakened Rueben Droughn's clinically dead RB career.

Please, Mark, give up this battle. It's not worth fighting and it can't be rationally defended. Shanahan is not going to give Griffin another shot at the job unless he loses about 4 RBs to injury/suspension.
.....and then there is sproles.

Some people said he was "like" Barry Sanders, or reminiscent of him.
Which also can't be defended rationally. What is with you guys? It's okay to admit that you were wrong. It happens to everyone.

.....and then there is sproles.
I know, I know.I do like Sproles - a lot, in fact. But I just can't get the size/weight issue to outweigh the positives. The mass ratio thing is just too big of a handicap to overcome in a NFL that has gotten progressively bigger yet has actually gotten faster despite the increase in size. That doesn't demean Sproles' talent in any way, shape, or form. Tiki Barber is the extremely rare exception, not the rule - and Tiki looks big next to Sproles.

See, from that pick I literally think he could run between the center's legs. He looks like a little person (is that what they like to be called?).
No, because "little person tossing" is too much of a mouthful.On that note, are you allowed to hand the ball off to a RB who you then fling into the end zone?

Users who are viewing this thread