What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AJ FEELEY traded to Chargers (1 Viewer)

I think lemon is their 3rd stringer.Wow, now do they stick with brees or trade him and go with rivers? Personally, I take a shot with rivers.

As far as I can tell, the deal is A.J. Feeley for backup QB Cleo Lemon. Lemon has looked very good in training camp the past couple of years and the Chargers seemed to be pretty high on him, so this is a bit of an odd move.

it would make more sense if another trade like this was announced:chargers send Philip Rivers to the Lions for the lions 2006 1st round pick and future considerations.

As far as I can tell, the deal is A.J. Feeley for backup QB Cleo Lemon. Lemon has looked very good in training camp the past couple of years and the Chargers seemed to be pretty high on him, so this is a bit of an odd move.
If it's for Lemon I'm surprised. There were some reports that Saban was bringing in Rohan Davey for a look this week and I could've understood moving Feeley for a pick and then bringing Davey aboard. But a swap of backups? :shrug:

it would make more sense if another trade like this was announced:

chargers send Philip Rivers to the Lions for the lions 2006 1st round pick and future considerations.
The trade will be an off-season move.Really Detroit,Baltimore, Nyjets, Arizona any of these teams amke sense for Rivers to be dealt to.

it would make more sense if another trade like this was announced:

chargers send Philip Rivers to the Lions for the lions 2006 1st round pick and future considerations.
:fingerscrossed: as a chargers fan and a rivers owner

Well ideally you'd like to have a veteran paired with a young quarterback to help develop the green signal caller (Palmer/Kitna, Campbell/Brunell, Simms/Griese, etc.), but I can't believe they would think Feeley an adequate compliment to Rivers. This leads me to believe he's to be the backup for Brees if they can send Phillip packing either today or in the off-season.

someone on dolphins message board stated that they heard on tampa bay radio that the pick was a conditional 5th rounder. That is definately 3rd hand info at this time.

good riddance but ill say this- theyre going to ship off rivers for much less than they got him for. Nobody is going to bite on a QB who otherwise has not proved himself in two years in the NFL- save the lions.

I think Brees has more than played himself into the long term #1 QB job in san diego, enough to feel confident that Rivers is the QB who will be on the move.I would like to think all dynasty FF players would have already factored Rivers getting a shot to start somewhere next year into his value, but i would guess some haven't - so go ahead and give his dynasty value a bump.

good riddance but ill say this- theyre going to ship off rivers for much less than they got him for. Nobody is going to bite on a QB who otherwise has not proved himself in two years in the NFL- save the lions.
I disagree, that will get a lot for him. He has had a couple years to sit and learn the position, he is far more ready than some rookie QB.Rivers will bring in a lot in trade.

ESPN has this to say (Tuesday roundup):

The Chargers acquired third-string quarterback A.J. Feeley from the Miami Dolphins in a trade that also involved third-string Chargers quarterback Cleo Lemon, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported.There was a draft choice involved in the trade but details weren't available. The deal happened as the NFL trade deadline came to a close.The move to acquire Feeley signifies the Chargers intention to make a decision after the season between Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. Brees is a free agent after the season and he is the current starting quarterback. Rivers has four more years on his contract after the season.
...Unclear who is giving the draft pick SD or Miami?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bit unfair. He hasn't proven himself because he hasn't played. Two years of tutoring and maturity can only add to his value. Plus he has the *huge* upside of the Chargers already eating his very large signing bonus. He's cheaper than any first round QB that may be coming up the pike. He was regarded as a first rounder when he was chosen I can't see why he wouldn't bring the same in a trade.

true in that they wont get the #4 overall pick for him, but look at it from the bolts perspective - they still win. they got merriman + more, and the only reason they have this "problem" is because Brees has turned out to be "the man" after all.The Chargers have twice traded out of the #1 pick and "surefire" #1 QB, and its working out very very well for them. Future #1 overall team should take notice of this when there's a consensus #1 QB.

There will be plenty of teams in the basement that could be looking for a QB. There are no other top QB prospects at this very moment other than Matt Leinart.So it becomes a question of do you wait another year to get a QB or take a chance on a guy who was picked 4th? overall in his draft and has some idea of the NFL experience.

So it becomes a question of do you wait another year to get a QB or take a chance on a guy who was picked 4th? overall in his draft and has some idea of the NFL experience.
And whose signing bonus has already been paid. Rivers is worth more than just a single draft pick, even the #1 overall.

So it becomes a question of do you wait another year to get a QB or take a chance on a guy who was picked 4th? overall in his draft and has some idea of the NFL experience.
And whose signing bonus has already been paid. Rivers is worth more than just a single draft pick, even if it's #1 overall.
Says the Chargers fan ;) In all seriousness, I would think Philip Rivers would fetch a high first rounder and another pick at a minimum.

And whose signing bonus has already been paid. Rivers is worth more than just a single draft pick, even if it's #1 overall.
if moss (even at market value) is only worth the #7 and nap harris, how is an unproven rivers (albeit below market value and promising) worth more?

if moss (even at market value) is only worth the #7 and nap harris, how is an unproven rivers (albeit below market value and promising) worth more?
1) Salary Considerations2) He's a QB (with a franchise grade)

3) Moss' market, despite his productivity, was limited to a handful of teams because of his salary and attitude issues

It's Lemon plus a sixth for Feeley.
FoxSports is saying the 6th goes the other way.
Sources have told FOXSports.com that the Dolphins have agreed on a trade with the Chargers that sent their former starting quarterback A.J. Feeley and a sixth-round pick to San Diego for their third-string quarterback Cleo Lemon.
link

maybe it's the draft pick they get from Minny?also, I beleive the deadline is (was) 4pm ET

Not to hijack, but I wouldn't want Moss if I were a GM. Attitude is extremely underrated.

QB's are way more valuable than a problemed Receiver.

3) Moss' market, despite his productivity, was limited to a handful of teams because of his salary and attitude issues
Asking because I honestly don't know - Has Rivers development been steady and positive enough that he has maintained that franchise grade? I know that Brees excellent play has been keeping him from the field more than any lack of development, but i don't know if the outlook is as optimistic as it was on draft day 04.

ok fair enough on the moss attitude issue - i guess what im getting at is trying to figure out an "equivalency" between picks and players - its very difficult to do.what kind of player would be worth the #1 overall?

What the heck is a Cleo Lemon?This clears up another 2 million in cap space for the Dolphins with AJ gone for next year.CAP SPACE move. The Dolphins are going to be ridiculously under the cap next year. 25-27 million.

Because Moss was on a $75M contract, had some injury issues and is a significant distraction to his team. Besides, the Viking, DID get a high 1st round pick, Harris (who was himself a 1st rounder) and another later pick.

I believe the trade deadline was 4 o'clock Eastern time today...Oops, someone else already posted it. My bad.

Asking because I honestly don't know - Has Rivers development been steady and positive enough that he has maintained that franchise grade? I know that Brees excellent play has been keeping him from the field more than any lack of development, but i don't know if the outlook is as optimistic as it was on draft day 04.
Well he's done nothing to dispel his draft grade. It's not like Brees has been mediocre and people are left to wonder why Rivers can't displace him. Brees was a Pro Bowler last year and the Chargers franchise player this season and, as someone else pointed out, in the meantime Rivers has had two seasons of NFL meetings, workouts, tutelage. I could easily see someone like the Jets, should they end up with a top 10 pick, giving that up for Rivers next season.

Hmm - I own both Feeley and Rivers on a dynasty. This could work out well for me in the offseason if Brees is dumped.

Anybody on this message board has only limited information, but everything I've heard is that the Chargers love Rivers.Of course, what happens in practice isn't as important as what he can do in a game, which is still unknown. But it's no more unknown than it is with Leinart.

I could easily see someone like the Jets, should they end up with a top 10 pick, giving that up for Rivers next season.
that sounds about right to me - same goes for lions, cards.

Users who are viewing this thread