What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Real Estate Forum *** (2 Viewers)

When you say not cash flow, what do you mean?  I personally don't count principal in the equation.  Yes I don't want to come out of pocket monthly, but I don't need to have disposable income now.  Also the example above that I posted that was bumped...I was updated down for 5 years as the value plummeted from $70k to a low of $40k.  Really didn't matter if you have time on your side.
That's counting principal, but after paying for upkeep and expenses, I'm sure I pony up 1-2k per year. I could more or less break even if I sold now, but I'll probably ride this out for the long haul. The state of things for the foreseeable future has me on edge regarding the potential liability though. 

Real estate inventory dropping and prices going up in the Charlotte market.  I been doing searches and in the last week homes are going under contract 4x faster than new ones are being added.

So, question for @Getzlaf15 and all you real estate experts around here.

Family is thinking about a permanent move from Kansas City to the Brainerd Lakes area in Minnesota. I have vacationed there for 37 of my 50 years, so we are familiar with the area.  We want to provide a complete lifestyle change for our family with 3 kids. They are excited about the possibility. Our time frame is spring of 2021.

We know approximately where we want to be, but will be enlisting the help of a local agent up there to help us out. I need to know the ins and outs of lakefront living, and also going from sewer to septic, natural gas to propane...things like that. I'm not worried about being able to handle those things - just need local expertise and am willing to pay for that.

I reached out to a large brokerage up there and submitted a detailed email listing what we are looking for, areas we want to be in....basically laid out what we are looking for. We haven't sold out house yet here nor have we gone to a bank yet. Our house here will sell quickly in this market and our credit scores are perfect. I explained this in the email. We will be up there on vacation starting Thursday and will be there for 10 days. I mentioned we would love to meet with someone and maybe see 3-4 properties so we can get a feel for where we want to live.

I also mentioned our timeline, and that if we were required to be pre-approved or ready to move in the next 60 days I would understand if they didn't want to waste their time. I started this process the beginning of last week.

I heard from them almost immediately (a very quick response from someone in the office). We talked for a half hour and I reiterated what I had said in the email. I also said again that if they were busy and couldn't work with us I would understand, since we were in research phase at this point. I also said we will use you as our buyers agent once we are ready to pull the trigger and that we were 95% sure we will be moving. She mentioned she would forward my information to a buyers agent and they would contact us the next day.

Fast forward a week to yesterday. Still no contact from anyone. I called her back and left a voicemail basically saying: "We haven't heard from anyone - not sure if you guys decided to pass on us but I need to know so I can make other arrangements."  She then called me back a few hours later and said the agent who was supposed to reach out last week would contact me.

He finally texts around 9:30 last night and promises to send me some listings by email so we can narrow down a few to go look at this Saturday. He emails them late last night, and I reply back this morning at 8:00 am with some we had found with a couple of other quick questions. As of right now we haven't had a answer to any of my questions. Nor has anyone really answered the questions I had in my original email.

So my question is: should I expect a better level of communication than this? Or am I just considered a non-factor and not worthy of their time? This agency has 10 buyers agents on staff, so I can't believe they would all be so busy that a simple email reply wouldn't happen for a full day.  I was also hoping for a phone conversation with the agent before he started just emailing me listings - just so he could maybe get a feel for us.

I'm not expecting him to fall all over us - I have been in sales and marketing my whole career so I understand sales processes and good prospects...etc. But I would at least expect some courtesy communication here.

We are just trying to do our due diligence before we pull the trigger here. Thoughts from the pros?

Not a pro but most buyers agents are useless. You will do all of the research yourself, they will meet you at the house, let you in the door, hope you pick a house quickly, put a bid in for what you ask and collect their check. I’m sure there are a few good ones out there but every one I’ve dealt with has done exactly what I listed above. 

Not a pro but most buyers agents are useless. You will do all of the research yourself, they will meet you at the house, let you in the door, hope you pick a house quickly, put a bid in for what you ask and collect their check. I’m sure there are a few good ones out there but every one I’ve dealt with has done exactly what I listed above. 
You need to sharpen your hiring skills. ;)  

With the auto MLS features, it's pretty easy to take your criteria and have those listings automatically e-mailed to you every day.  

Family is thinking about a permanent move from Kansas City to the Brainerd Lakes area in Minnesota. I have vacationed there for 37 of my 50 years, so we are familiar with the area.  We want to provide a complete lifestyle change for our family with 3 kids. They are excited about the possibility. Our time frame is spring of 2021.

We know approximately where we want to be, but will be enlisting the help of a local agent up there to help us out. I need to know the ins and outs of lakefront living, and also going from sewer to septic, natural gas to propane...things like that. I'm not worried about being able to handle those things - just need local expertise and am willing to pay for that.

I reached out to a large brokerage up there and submitted a detailed email listing what we are looking for, areas we want to be in....basically laid out what we are looking for. We haven't sold out house yet here nor have we gone to a bank yet. Our house here will sell quickly in this market and our credit scores are perfect. I explained this in the email. We will be up there on vacation starting Thursday and will be there for 10 days. I mentioned we would love to meet with someone and maybe see 3-4 properties so we can get a feel for where we want to live.

I also mentioned our timeline, and that if we were required to be pre-approved or ready to move in the next 60 days I would understand if they didn't want to waste their time. I started this process the beginning of last week.

I heard from them almost immediately (a very quick response from someone in the office). We talked for a half hour and I reiterated what I had said in the email. I also said again that if they were busy and couldn't work with us I would understand, since we were in research phase at this point. I also said we will use you as our buyers agent once we are ready to pull the trigger and that we were 95% sure we will be moving. She mentioned she would forward my information to a buyers agent and they would contact us the next day.

Fast forward a week to yesterday. Still no contact from anyone. I called her back and left a voicemail basically saying: "We haven't heard from anyone - not sure if you guys decided to pass on us but I need to know so I can make other arrangements."  She then called me back a few hours later and said the agent who was supposed to reach out last week would contact me.

He finally texts around 9:30 last night and promises to send me some listings by email so we can narrow down a few to go look at this Saturday. He emails them late last night, and I reply back this morning at 8:00 am with some we had found with a couple of other quick questions. As of right now we haven't had a answer to any of my questions. Nor has anyone really answered the questions I had in my original email.

So my question is: should I expect a better level of communication than this? Or am I just considered a non-factor and not worthy of their time? This agency has 10 buyers agents on staff, so I can't believe they would all be so busy that a simple email reply wouldn't happen for a full day.  I was also hoping for a phone conversation with the agent before he started just emailing me listings - just so he could maybe get a feel for us.

I'm not expecting him to fall all over us - I have been in sales and marketing my whole career so I understand sales processes and good prospects...etc. But I would at least expect some courtesy communication here.

We are just trying to do our due diligence before we pull the trigger here. Thoughts from the pros?
You should be getting better service than that.  The COVID thing might be impacting things.  It's not really cool to take "lookers" through peoples homes when they could leave behind a virus that kills them.

Curious as to why the delay if you know that's what you want to do?  Interest rates are awesome now.

You should be getting better service than that.  The COVID thing might be impacting things.  It's not really cool to take "lookers" through peoples homes when they could leave behind a virus that kills them.

Curious as to why the delay if you know that's what you want to do?  Interest rates are awesome now.
We have a couple of things we want to button up at our house before we list it. Some of which is being done while we are on vacation next week.

We could act on a property right now if its the right one.

You need to sharpen your hiring skills. ;)  

With the auto MLS features, it's pretty easy to take your criteria and have those listings automatically e-mailed to you every day.  
Oh sure,  I know this.

But moving up there brings up a ton of questions I need answers to that a website listing cannot answer. If I am uprooting my family I need some help. Websites don’t really tell you about schools. And sports for the kids. And many other relocation factors.

I want a buyers agent so I can call one person to arrange 4-5 showings in a day so I don’t have to call 5 separate agents to get into houses.

And I plan to compensate this guy for a day of his time on Saturday. 

This sounds awesome.

Bail from that guy ASAP.

A really good agent isn't going to care when you buy and sell.  Just wants another to fill the pipeline.    I for one, love it when you have time like this to do it right with no pressure. He shouldn't be texting you that late, unless you gave him permission.

Is there another brokerage up there that works in that area?  Give them a try.  Good luck.

ETA:  At this moment, I'd only ask to see 2-3 homes that look like they would fit the bill, since you are not buying right now.  

Septic systems are easy.  Usually the seller pays about $250 to have them cleaned out and they need it every 2-3 years.  Just meet the guy when he cleans it and ask him all the questions about it.  Do/don'ts

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sure,  I know this.

But moving up there brings up a ton of questions I need answers to that a website listing cannot answer. If I am uprooting my family I need some help. Websites don’t really tell you about schools. And sports for the kids. And many other relocation factors.

I want a buyers agent so I can call one person to arrange 4-5 showings in a day so I don’t have to call 5 separate agents to get into houses.

And I plan to compensate this guy for a day of his time on Saturday. 
IMO don't take it wrong if the agent doesn't give you information about schools.  I also give web addresses.  Telling you which schools are "good" is a form of steering is definitely  a form of discrimination.  Based on what you've posted elsewhere, if you want to be a purveyor of change, don't work with an agent who is steering.

A gift such as a gift card would be more than enough compensation.  Technically an agent can't directly take cash if working for a brokerage firm for real estate activities, it's supposed to go to the office.  If you're working with an agent who just pockets this compensation, you are working with a dishonest agent.  Filling their tank for driving around to houses is an extremely nice gesture IMO.  Part of the job is to work for free in hopes of being well compensated later.  

Good luck, it sounds like fun.

@Getzlaf15 please chime in if you disagree with anything I post here. I know real estate rules vary wildly between states so my perspective may not be representative of a different market 

IMO don't take it wrong if the agent doesn't give you information about schools.  I also give web addresses.  Telling you which schools are "good" is a form of steering is definitely  a form of discrimination.  Based on what you've posted elsewhere, if you want to be a purveyor of change, don't work with an agent who is steering.

A gift such as a gift card would be more than enough compensation.  Technically an agent can't directly take cash if working for a brokerage firm for real estate activities, it's supposed to go to the office.  If you're working with an agent who just pockets this compensation, you are working with a dishonest agent.  Filling their tank for driving around to houses is an extremely nice gesture IMO.  Part of the job is to work for free in hopes of being well compensated later.  

Good luck, it sounds like fun.

@Getzlaf15 please chime in if you disagree with anything I post here. I know real estate rules vary wildly between states so my perspective may not be representative of a different market 
It's against Federal Law for an agent to give an opinion about schools.   

Compensation rules are probably different by state.    Here, I can have a client sign a Buyers Rep agreement, and be paid by the client for a weekend of showings.  It is paid to the brokerage, and both parties need to agree if it will or will not be taken out of the final commission.   It can be a set fee or hourly and both must agree beforehand.

The weird thing about this is that in every real estate deal, the commission is paid to the Listing agent.  And the Listing Agent agrees to share it with a buyers agent if they choose to do so. Which is a part of most MLS agreements.

All that said, I've never charged any out of state buyer these fees and never will.  I'm focused on doing a great job and getting their referrals and repeat biz.

While I will not show a home to a local until they've been approved for the loan, and we've met to discuss their needs, wants, questions and sign the Buyers Rep, I can not for the life of me to get an out of state buyer to sign a rep beforehand.  Not sure what it is, but they just will not consider doing it.   So I don't do it and stopped after I lost two that I worked with for a year, then finally came to Boise to look, and then ghosted me after I brought up the idea of getting a Rep signed.  Other agents say the same thing has happened to them. Bizarre.  

So @ChiefD , I would not give agent anything unless you get it in writing.   Any real good agent will have zero issues showing you a few homes now and work with you the rest of the way no matter how long it takes.  Sign a Rep if that makes you feel more comfortable.  When I get a Rep signed, I know I can give 110%, cuz I'll get paid in the end.

It's against Federal Law for an agent to give an opinion about schools.   

Compensation rules are probably different by state.    Here, I can have a client sign a Buyers Rep agreement, and be paid by the client for a weekend of showings.  It is paid to the brokerage, and both parties need to agree if it will or will not be taken out of the final commission.   It can be a set fee or hourly and both must agree beforehand.

The weird thing about this is that in every real estate deal, the commission is paid to the Listing agent.  And the Listing Agent agrees to share it with a buyers agent if they choose to do so. Which is a part of most MLS agreements.

All that said, I've never charged any out of state buyer these fees and never will.  I'm focused on doing a great job and getting their referrals and repeat biz.

While I will not show a home to a local until they've been approved for the loan, and we've met to discuss their needs, wants, questions and sign the Buyers Rep, I can not for the life of me to get an out of state buyer to sign a rep beforehand.  Not sure what it is, but they just will not consider doing it.   So I don't do it and stopped after I lost two that I worked with for a year, then finally came to Boise to look, and then ghosted me after I brought up the idea of getting a Rep signed.  Other agents say the same thing has happened to them. Bizarre.  

So @ChiefD , I would not give agent anything unless you get it in writing.   Any real good agent will have zero issues showing you a few homes now and work with you the rest of the way no matter how long it takes.  Sign a Rep if that makes you feel more comfortable.  When I get a Rep signed, I know I can give 110%, cuz I'll get paid in the end.
Thanks for all the info. I ended up politely informing guy #1 his services were no longer needed. Still never received an email.

Just ended up emailing a listing agent on one of the properties we were interested in. Received a response right away and about an hour email back and forth with her asking questions and such. 

We are planning on talking this evening about what we are looking for. So maybe found someone we can work with. 

Thanks for all the info. I ended up politely informing guy #1 his services were no longer needed. Still never received an email.

Just ended up emailing a listing agent on one of the properties we were interested in. Received a response right away and about an hour email back and forth with her asking questions and such. 

We are planning on talking this evening about what we are looking for. So maybe found someone we can work with. 
Nice.   I forgot to mention talking to a few listing agents.   Most do buyers also.    Pm me the Zillow if you are cool with it.  Would love to see the prop. GL.  

Has anyone used forbearance?  Just wondering how the process went for you, and are the payments truly tacked on to the end of the loan.

Has anyone used forbearance?  Just wondering how the process went for you, and are the payments truly tacked on to the end of the loan.
Not much reason for many to use. Payments are due in full immediately after the 3 months. That said maybe you could negotiate something different. Did your tenant stop paying rent?

There's no set deal. Its whatever you can negotiate with your lender. So if you need it, negotiate for the payments to be added on to the end.

Payments are due in full immediately after the 3 months.
Pretty sure this is not the case unless you simply dont bother to try to do better than that.

They dont want a foreclosure crisis, so making payments due in full month 4 would make no sense.  

I believe something will be in the heroes act saying they have to put the payments at the end of the loan, cant charge fees, and cant report you to credit agencies.

Can you unpack this? I'm interested in tracking some vacation properties in a very specific area/street. There are 32 properties total. What's the best way to track if/when one becomes available?

Can you unpack this? I'm interested in tracking some vacation properties in a very specific area/street. There are 32 properties total. What's the best way to track if/when one becomes available?
If you were looking for something in my mls area, you could give me those criteria and I would set you up on an auto search. Anytime something meeting your criteria hit the market you would receive an email. 

There are some apps that allow you to take your finger and draw a circle around the area you want to search.  Can't remember which ones.  A RE agent can do this easily.

If you were looking for something in my mls area, you could give me those criteria and I would set you up on an auto search. Anytime something meeting your criteria hit the market you would receive an email. 

There are some apps that allow you to take your finger and draw a circle around the area you want to search.  Can't remember which ones.  A RE agent can do this easily.
So no way for your average Joe to setup an alert? Not really looking to get a RE agent involved. Mostly for my own curiosity and to get an idea of the market.

All my wife's buyers have upped their ranges they are willing to pay in the last few weeks - they are all tired of being constantly outbid. Lack of inventory is causing things to be nutso/crazy again. Edit: And usually the market goes into hibernation after July 4th in the Denver area but not the case this year, uncertainty about when school will open up probably helping some.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel lucky that I just purchased one in Asheville for 10% below ask.  I assume the concrete floor on the main was a draw back.  It will be a rental so that works for me.    Should be getting a 3.5% rate for 30 yr so it should cash flow pretty decently.  Sold another in Charlotte without even going in MLS so I avoided sales commission.  I had lived there 2 of the last 5 so avoiding the taxes was the reason for the sale.

I've been worried about keeping tenants in mine.  I have three condos in a college town.  Two are 2 BR and one is a 1 BR.  We did get new leases on all of them starting in August but if they go to online classes it does give me some concern.  I have one other house locally that I bought just over five years ago which was a fixer upper.  That one has gone up about 50% in value since I bought it as well as throwing off cash flows.  It was my first buy and there were two houses in the same subdivision.  If only I could go back and buy them both.

I keep thinking the virus is going to have to take an economic toll on this sector but my friend who is a builder can't keep up with his work.  I also have a friend who is the VP at one of the largest residential land developers in our city and he says they are afraid they are going to run out of lot inventory by year end.

I've been worried about keeping tenants in mine.  I have three condos in a college town.  Two are 2 BR and one is a 1 BR.  We did get new leases on all of them starting in August but if they go to online classes it does give me some concern.  I have one other house locally that I bought just over five years ago which was a fixer upper.  That one has gone up about 50% in value since I bought it as well as throwing off cash flows.  It was my first buy and there were two houses in the same subdivision.  If only I could go back and buy them both.

I keep thinking the virus is going to have to take an economic toll on this sector but my friend who is a builder can't keep up with his work.  I also have a friend who is the VP at one of the largest residential land developers in our city and he says they are afraid they are going to run out of lot inventory by year end.
They just can't keep up with the almost zero new construction for the five years after the last recession .  Still very far behind. 

They just can't keep up with the almost zero new construction for the five years after the last recession .  Still very far behind. 
My mom works for a concrete company that does all the foundations and driveways for Ryan/Envy homes and she says they are as busy if not busier than they have ever been. They are drowning in $$$$. 

None of it makes sense. 

My mom works for a concrete company that does all the foundations and driveways for Ryan/Envy homes and she says they are as busy if not busier than they have ever been. They are drowning in $$$$. 

None of it makes sense. 
My town has doubled its number of building permits as well as construction value over the past year.

Inventory in Boise is down 44% from this time last year.  That's insane because last year was like 60% down from 2010.

Just had a client offer $521K on a $498k listing.  16 offers. Sold for $565k cash.  Unreal.   That entire two mile radius just went up 13-14%
Sales are still down big YoY. More competition, less inventory, super low rates is an explosive combination... Those in market are in fierce battle. Also, important to note, the bar from May was super low, so June was going to be a big jump MoM, especially as shelter in place orders were removed. It's tough sledding out there for homebuyers right now in quite a few markets. 

Sales are still down big YoY. More competition, less inventory, super low rates is an explosive combination... Those in market are in fierce battle. Also, important to note, the bar from May was super low, so June was going to be a big jump MoM, especially as shelter in place orders were removed. It's tough sledding out there for homebuyers right now in quite a few markets. 
I only cite year to year changes in any of my posts.

People just don't get this.  I posted metrics up thread that showed the requirements for a housing market drop.  Covid just increased the demand.

People just don't get this.  I posted metrics up thread that showed the requirements for a housing market drop.  Covid just increased the demand.
I have a client now like this.  I've told her about this and the fact that people from everywhere are moving to Boise.  CA is just 24%.  And her response is what about the election?  What about a recession?   She'd be putting down $100k on a $300k home and having a payment of $1000.  Not risky at all.

I have a client now like this.  I've told her about this and the fact that people from everywhere are moving to Boise.  CA is just 24%.  And her response is what about the election?  What about a recession?   She'd be putting down $100k on a $300k home and having a payment of $1000.  Not risky at all.
I'm trying to get as much mortgage debt secured as possible at these rates.  I don't care if prices drop, you don't lose money until you sell.  I sold a place last year that I bought at $70,000 in 2004 and fell to $35,000 in 2010.  Sold at $120,000 after deducting renos last year.  Never spent a dime out of my pocket over that time and only had $7k  invested in it.  

We are thinking about moving. If I'm looking at a pre-foreclosure and it says the mortgage owed is 200K, would it not make sense for me to offer the owner say, 225? Unless I am missing something, they arent selling and plan to stay until forced out. Who wouldnt move for 25K? Lets assume the house is worth 275.  

We are thinking about moving. If I'm looking at a pre-foreclosure and it says the mortgage owed is 200K, would it not make sense for me to offer the owner say, 225? Unless I am missing something, they arent selling and plan to stay until forced out. Who wouldnt move for 25K? Lets assume the house is worth 275.  
You can certainly try, but in that scenario, why wouldn't the homeowner just put the house on the market? 

You can certainly try, but in that scenario, why wouldn't the homeowner just put the house on the market? 
More than likely the house is not in any condition to warrant full asking price/market value. 

If they’re close to getting foreclosed on it would be in their best interest to sell the place fast before that happens. They don’t have time to sell, especially if the house is in poor shape, which if you can’t pay your mortgage, you’re not making home repairs. 

Users who are viewing this thread