What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (4 Viewers)

Forgot to mention this, but when you let off the gas it essentially brakes. It's like downshifting on a manual, only much more pronounced. It takes a while to get used to but you only need to press the brakes to come to a complete stop or in an emergency situation. I'd venture to guess you get twice as much life out of the brake pads in a tesla as compared to another car.

Forgot to mention this, but when you let off the gas it essentially brakes. It's like downshifting on a manual, only much more pronounced. It takes a while to get used to but you only need to press the brakes to come to a complete stop or in an emergency situation. I'd venture to guess you get twice as much life out of the brake pads in a tesla as compared to another car.
Holy crap I want one of these. How long before they're in the $30k range? :)

Its 18 cents a kw/hr where I live. I can't believe you folks have electricity so much cheaper. Damn you Pepco!

After the X, they're said to be coming out with a compact sedan in the 30k price range to compete with the Audi A4 and BMW 3. 30k and 200+ miles per charge; that could be huge.

They seem pretty interesting, and I've seen some of them around here in south Florida. I've heard that some of them have battery issues, but if they get that issue ironed out, and bring the price down, I'd consider getting one of these.

Steed... any chance you can snap some pics and post them for us?
Agree -- pics pls! Also how much did you pay for it?

Any other updates? Really curious about these.
I let my wife have it for the day so I'll post some pics tmrw. My friends and family are lining up to borrow it since they know I'm gonna give it back.

Anything you guys wanna see in particular? I'll post before n afters of the retractable door handles. Some other cool features is the high def back up camera, the GPS is google maps so no need to buy discs to update. I'll take a screen shot of the moonroof controls, it's pretty nifty.

The 50k number is outdated. The one I'm driving is in the 90s, the one on order is over 100 and I got all the options but the $4500 rim package. Kinda bummed as they add a little flare to a somewhat generic looking shape but the only way i could justify it is if they included the stock rims and tires so I could use them in the winter. They wouldn't budge on it.

You can turn that off I believe, some roll setting IIRC from what my friend told me. You can also turn on the "creep" function so it will act as if it's a gas motor and move forward when you let off the brake.

There are at least 5 teslas that drop off kids at our school. It is a public school, but definitely in a well to so area. All of them are the 4 door variety. I only know 1 owner. He says its the best car he ever bought. Absolutely nothing goes wrong and the gas savings (unlike his hybrid Tahoe) are huge. The other 4 are owned by Asians and India Indians. So they must have a following in the Asia markets.

How much is insurance on that bad boy?
I don't think it's much different and in IL your plates cost you a whopping 8.00/yr.
saywhatnow?
Normally plates in IL run ~100 this car qualifies as for the electric plates and it's a huge pain in the ### to get them you can get them. They actually cost 27.00 every two years so I was off a few bucks.
Plates cost $100/yr in Illinois? WTF!

I don't think it's much different and in IL your plates cost you a whopping 8.00/yr.
saywhatnow?
Normally plates in IL run ~100 this car qualifies as for the electric plates and it's a huge pain in the ### to get them you can get them. They actually cost 27.00 every two years so I was off a few bucks.
Mine are ~$150 per year in Michigan :angry:

saywhatnow?
In Montana, it looks like if your car is less than 4 years old, the fee is $217. Holy beejesus.

saywhatnow?
That's about where my wife's are, she has personalized plates. And I think both Toyota and one other mfg are going to be using Tesla's drivetrain and motor for 2015 cars. I also was told that there will be a more affordable ie 40k Tesla in 2015/2016. 100% my next car will be an all electric car.

saywhatnow?
In Montana, it looks like if your car is less than 4 years old, the fee is $217. Holy beejesus.
Guess I'm just spoiled after having paid about $35/year in Ohio and Virginia (which included $10 for personalization)

I'm following Tesla much more closely - very cool story. I'd like to see better sales reporting - they are currently giving quarterly numbers of deliveries rather than industry standard of monthly. Biggest questions for me are how they ramp up production, set up the battery swapping infrastrucutre, and how they manage without a dealer network for sales and service.

I'm following Tesla much more closely - very cool story. I'd like to see better sales reporting - they are currently giving quarterly numbers of deliveries rather than industry standard of monthly. Biggest questions for me are how they ramp up production, set up the battery swapping infrastrucutre, and how they manage without a dealer network for sales and service.
The service piece is interesting. They say that 90% of Tesla owners live within 100 miles of a service center. Interesting spin, though. Are people NOT purchasing because they're NOT within 100 miles?

http://www.teslamotors.com/service

Is the battery swapping network that big of a deal? What percentage of car use exceeds the 200+ range on these?

Im planning on getting one but hate the price tag and the wait. To alleviate this I bought 200 shares of the stock a while back so it's becoming much more likely as the stock has appreciated much faster than anticipated.

Im planning on getting one but hate the price tag and the wait. To alleviate this I bought 200 shares of the stock a while back so it's becoming much more likely as the stock has appreciated much faster than anticipated.
You live in Manhattan right? Are there electrical options in the parking garages or would you keep this elsewhere?

You live in Manhattan right? Are there electrical options in the parking garages or would you keep this elsewhere?
Negative...moved to Houston a few years back. Not sure on the electrical options in parking garages but sure they're slowly becoming available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Major said:
My buddy got an S a few months ago. Fun car. I'm not a guy who would ever spend that kind of coin on a car, electric or otherwise, but a nice luxury car and the tech is great. I'm curious to see how his battery performs in the winter, but it is a sweet ride.

The stock is insane. 1/4 the size of Ford? Dunno about that. Fun to watch it though. I was tempted to pull the trigger at 29 but thought 2 B market cap was too big then. LOL. Looks like 2000 all over again. Massive bubble stock. I've heard from more than one person that they wished they put money in the stock instead of on their downpayment. My buddy could of had his car practically paid for during the time he had to wait for delivery. In any event, it's great to see a company do EV right.

Last edited by a moderator:
-jb- said:
Nugget said:
The service piece is interesting. They say that 90% of Tesla owners live within 100 miles of a service center. Interesting spin, though. Are people NOT purchasing because they're NOT within 100 miles?

Are these Tesla owned, Tesla dedicated facilities? Can they work on other vehicles? There is not nearly enough volume to be a stand alone, Tesla only service center.

Traditional service customers don't want to travel more than 5 miles to have there cars serviced. Most people who buy these will have other vehicles, and if Tesla does a delivery service with a loaner car for customers, it shouldn't be an issue.

-jb- said:
Nugget said:

Are these Tesla owned, Tesla dedicated facilities? Can they work on other vehicles? There is not nearly enough volume to be a stand alone, Tesla only service center.

Traditional service customers don't want to travel more than 5 miles to have there cars serviced. Most people who buy these will have other vehicles, and if Tesla does a delivery service with a loaner car for customers, it shouldn't be an issue.
Can't speak for the nation, but the image used on the website is the service facility in Fremont. This is also where they're manufactured, taking over a portion of the old NUMMI plant (GM and Toyota shut it down in 2010). The others look like they're located in business/industrial parks.

Tesla co-founder Elon Musk is up to still more new tricks. No details yet, design release scheduled for Aug. 12. Speculation is that it might be a combination of maglev and pneumatic tube transport.
Yup. Basically eliminating all friction so you can accellerate to ridiculous speeds. NYC to LA in under an hour.

That said, what happens if something goes wrong at 3,000 MPH?
Yeah, I've seen lots of safety concerns raised in comments at various articles about this, which is all kinda speculative since we don't know exactly what kind of system he's proposing yet. Still, whatever disasters we can dream up, he's gonna have to have an answer for all of them.

Interesting times and he's one of the people making them so.

Users who are viewing this thread