What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (1 Viewer)

the continuous piece of glass is super cool looking, but if you crack the windshield what is the replacement price of that bad boy..gotta be at least 1K right?
Looks to me like three pieces made to look like one piece.

My buddy reserved two in store yesterday. Showed in his MyTesla as RN 1074xxx so I guess me waiting to do it online will only put me about 10K 30K behind him.

To those who think it will be $50K car, what are you basing that upon? Gigafactory 1 will reduce the cost of the battery pack by 30%.

Anyway, if you're right, they're toast. Personally I think they'll stay the course Elon laid out ten years ago.

The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a tesla yesterday on the road. I'm guessing it was the roadster. Was surprised how little it was. Looked like those Honda Del Sol's the chicks used to drive around in back in the day.

I doubt it goes for a whole lot more than $35,000. Musk's whole point has been to bring an affordable electric car to market and $35,000 was the target. Selling it for $50K defeats the whole point of the exercise.

Put me in the camp that says you won't be able to get one that looks like the ones brought out for less than $50k (prob closer to $60k).

Also, after they've sold 200k cars, that $7500 tax credit no longer exists. 

Really like the front of the car, hate the rear. 

If it really was $35k, I'd take it over the competition at that price. For the $50-$60k it'll prob cost, I happily take a new E Class, 5 series, or A6 over it.

Just my .02
Have you driven a Tesla yet? I am assuming the acceleration will be similar in the model 3 as it is to the model S. Smaller battery, but smalller, lighter car to move.

Once you drive one, it is hard to not want to have it vs. the cars at the same price point (and want it more than some cars at a higher price point).

My business partner just bought the top end Model S. This thing is nuts! It feels like you are on a carnival ride when you accelerate at top speed. Really hard to explain until you feel it.

Oh, and the chicks dig it.

I doubt it goes for a whole lot more than $35,000. Musk's whole point has been to bring an affordable electric car to market and $35,000 was the target. Selling it for $50K defeats the whole point of the exercise.
Do people who truly need an affordable electric car have the disposable income to put a down payment on a car that won't be ready for another year?  

How many charging stations are available in the US? I know of one near me at a shopping center but that's all. 

Do people who truly need an affordable electric car have the disposable income to put a down payment on a car that won't be ready for another year?  
The people buying this are not those that "need" it. 

The premise of your question is flawed.

Does anybody have calculations on the Tesla's? How many Kwh of electricity does it take to drive 15,000 or 20,000 miles per year?

It'll prob be closer to 2-3 years... Their goals are late 2017, they have yet to meet a single deadline in a decade as a company. The best part about this is the $7500 tax credit is only for the first 200k cars - basically they'll have used the tax credits on the uber wealthy who need it the least. Tesla is just a cult. 

I drove the middle one, not the super P95X one... I'm not gonna argue it being a great car, but it was $100k. I can point most consumers to vehicles that cost $100k and they'll feel inspired when driving them too. 

Oh man, I just drove this Lamborghini Huracan, it was like nothing else, absolutely destroys a Ford Fiesta.

At $35k nicely equipped, the car is nice, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of the back of it, but I can see why people would like it... I'm just skeptical you'll be able to buy one for $35k, prob $10-$20k higher when done configuring. 

As a stock, :lmao:  compare them to their peers - Most auto companies have a P/E around 6-8 and a dividend between 3-6%. All while selling millions and millions of cars annually with billions in profits. Just never understood this stock. They won't be at these levels of sales/profit for 20 years (assuming everything goes perfect), amazing how they're priced like that today.

As an auto company, I like BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Jaguar/Infiniti/Lexus bc they have such a huge array of offerings, what does Tesla have in pipeline beyond the 3, are we all supposed to have the same car? Is this like one of those futuristic movies where everyone also wears the same outfit? I think they're a good little niche auto company with a cult following... After the first wave of 3's, I can see the hype dying down once all the fanboys have their Teslas.

The new version has ~250 miles per charge. That's a decent amount of mileage for a drive-around-town vehicle. The trick would be for doing long trips.
Nobody buys an electric car for long trips.  You can either have a second long haul car, or else rent one. And if neither of those fit within your lifestyle or budget then make a different decision.  

It'll prob be closer to 2-3 years... Their goals are late 2017, they have yet to meet a single deadline in a decade as a company. The best part about this is the $7500 tax credit is only for the first 200k cars - basically they'll have used the tax credits on the uber wealthy who need it the least. Tesla is just a cult.

I drove the middle one, not the super P95X one... I'm not gonna argue it being a great car, but it was $100k. I can point most consumers to vehicles that cost $100k and they'll feel inspired when driving them too.

Oh man, I just drove this Lamborghini Huracan, it was like nothing else, absolutely destroys a Ford Fiesta.

At $35k nicely equipped, the car is nice, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of the back of it, but I can see why people would like it... I'm just skeptical you'll be able to buy one for $35k, prob $10-$20k higher when done configuring.

As a stock, :lmao:  compare them to their peers - Most auto companies have a P/E around 6-8 and a dividend between 3-6%. All while selling millions and millions of cars annually with billions in profits. Just never understood this stock. They won't be at these levels of sales/profit for 20 years (assuming everything goes perfect), amazing how they're priced like that today.

As an auto company, I like BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Jaguar/Infiniti/Lexus bc they have such a huge array of offerings, what does Tesla have in pipeline beyond the 3, are we all supposed to have the same car? Is this like one of those futuristic movies where everyone also wears the same outfit? I think they're a good little niche auto company with a cult following... After the first wave of 3's, I can see the hype dying down once all the fanboys have their Teslas.
I agree with all of this.  Tesla is not targeting a struggling family trying to reduce their day to day expenses.  The people placing down payments on this new model aren't concerned about saving a few thousand dollars each year in their day to day travel expenses.  People with that type of disposable income are going to add numerous options and I think 50k is a fair assessment of the "true" price of the Model 3 when they start being delivered.

I also looked at a Tesla when gas was nearing $5/gal here in CA.  At the current prices of ~$3/gal, the excess price doesn't really justify all that Tesla offers.  I would definitely go with the other luxury car options available when comparing price of the car+fuel/electricity costs.

Still fun seeing all these assumptions that this car will need to be equipped to $50k 

It comes with autopilot, full glass roof, supercharger support... can I see this secret upgrade list you guys are looking at? TIA. 

$35k for this car, if as advertised (and we have no reason to believe it's not), is a groundbreaking price... naysayers be damned. 

"But but but...I don't like the back" :lmao: GFTO out of here with that crap.... 

Nobody buys an electric car for long trips.  You can either have a second long haul car, or else rent one. And if neither of those fit within your lifestyle or budget then make a different decision.  

:goodposting:  Gotta love the Griswolds in here shooting this down because it won't take them to Wallyworld.  You guys upset your Fiestas won't carry the plywood you need for your above ground pool deck, too? 

the VAST majority of Americans drive way less than 200 miles per day. 

I can't wait until all the fanboys have one and the cool factor dies down. TGunz pulls into the Whole Foods parking lot to get his organic chia seed shake after hitting Soul Cycle and there are 73 other model 3s in there. 

I prob won't own another car until both my kids are 18, so I'm an SUV man once my current lease ends. Model X isn't even a thought at $100k, rather get a Range Sport or X5 and save $35-$40k.

Still fun seeing all these assumptions that this car will need to be equipped to $50k 

It comes with autopilot, full glass roof, supercharger support... can I see this secret upgrade list you guys are looking at? TIA. 

$35k for this car, if as advertised (and we have no reason to believe it's not), is a groundbreaking price... naysayers be damned. 

"But but but...I don't like the back" :lmao: GFTO out of here with that crap.... 

What kind of car do you drive?

Pardon the possibly dumb question.  Do these plug into a standard outlet for charging, or do you need some $2k charger that takes another $1k to hardwire directly to your circuit breaker box?

The new version has ~250 miles per charge. That's a decent amount of mileage for a drive-around-town vehicle. The trick would be for doing long trips.
That was what I was going for. It's getting better than the ~60 miles or so some do today, where you have to wonder if you can make it both ways on a longish commute.

Pardon the possibly dumb question.  Do these plug into a standard outlet for charging, or do you need some $2k charger that takes another $1k to hardwire directly to your circuit breaker box?
BINGO!!!

I suppose you just add it into the cost of the vehicle.

In a pinch you can use  a standard outlet but it's really slow.  You would be much better served putting the full charger in your garage.  I'm not sure if that's included in the price here or not.  You can configure a 240 outlet for less than 100 bucks in your garage if cost is some big concern.  It just takes longer to fill up.  

In a pinch you can use  a standard outlet but it's really slow.  You would be much better served putting the full charger in your garage.  I'm not sure if that's included in the price here or not.  You can configure a 240 outlet for less than 100 bucks in your garage if cost is some big concern.  It just takes longer to fill up.  
Found some info online, but it's all related to the model S, not this new one.  I assume, though, the the basic plug cord deal is included (which can take all night to fully charge your ride) and if you want/need (most will) the better charger that's an add on - and then you'd need to have it installed.

Hmm, looks like it takes $1.58 of electricity for every 40 miles of charging needed.  Works out to $316 a year for the 8k miles I'd drive it (daily commuting, not longer trips).  It would cost me about twice that in gas at 25 MPG assuming gas holds at $2 per gallon.  Not sure ~$320 of savings a year is worth the plunge, yet.  The math worked a lot better when gas was over $3 a gallon.

I'm not a fan of the back of the car, I don't like the look (I made a similar comment earlier in this thread about the Model S), almost reminds me of a station wagon, my personal feelings. They'll sell them, I just won't be a buyer. Luckily, I'm in a position where I can go buy a nice gas guzzling SUV. 

This will save me about $40k from a Model X, excited for this bad boy to be released in the next few months so I can go give it a test drive.

I'm not a fan of the back of the car, I don't like the look (I made a similar comment earlier in this thread about the Model S), almost reminds me of a station wagon, my personal feelings. They'll sell them, I just won't be a buyer. Luckily, I'm in a position where I can go buy a nice gas guzzling SUV. 

This will save me about $40k from a Model X, excited for this bad boy to be released in the next few months so I can go give it a test drive.
It seems odd to be arguing against a 35k car by saying that a 60k car saves you 40k off a 100k car... but this IS the Free-for-All I suppose :)

Assuming you needed full capacity of this car daily during the week and half that each day on the weekends, you would be putting 67k miles a year on your vehicle. 

I don't know many people who put 67k miles a year on their vehicles. I usually put on about 50-75mi a week. A nightly slow charge would be MORE than enough for me for almost all cases. 

This is true. Only thought on how the stock is priced is that it's all speculative. They are currently at x size, and will eventually be at y (one of the big players with billions in profit).  

This poll is from the Tesla article site so it's biased, but this is a large consideration funnel to work with. It's doubtful any of the other automakers individually would poll this high:

Are you interested in buying a Tesla Model 3?

• No (53%, 403 Votes)

• Yes (47%, 353 Votes)

Total Voters: 756

Except that every other auto company offers basically the same exact machine, just re-packaged.  At it's core, Tesla is offering an entirely new machine altogether, a car that is not powered by gasoline.  That's a revolutionary concept any way you look at it.

I see the Chevy Volt at 30k or so... but is there anything else in the 30-40k range with 200+ mile range? Despite some concerns over a few details, is there an electric in that price range that looks better? Is there an electric in that price range with 0-60 in 6 seconds? 

Hell... Is there an electric in that price range with Autopilot? 

Serious questions. 

Users who are viewing this thread