What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: RB D. Williams Thread (1 Viewer)

Im waiting patiently to see rep breakdown in TC. Much like Dallas, with a new regime, you could see the RB that we all knew was less talented finally get less touches.
I really don't understand why people think Foster is less talented. Foster has battled through a bunch of injuries for sure, and at thsi time he's probably lost a step or two. But sheer talent? Foster has to win that battle hands down. Physically translating talent into stats? That's entirely different.
I know we have discussed this in other threads, but DeAngelo is clearly more talented. He was draft higher (by a team that had Foster I would add), had more yards in college (he is the NCAA all time leader in yards from scrimmage), is more explosive, is more elusive, and is a better receiver. Now I definitely think that Foster's knee issues have affected his explosiveness, so there could be an argument pre-injury (as Bloom stated). Foster was pretty dynamic in college, but always had fumbling issues, injury problems, and doesn't have the complete skill set of a DeAngelo Williams. At this point in their careers, it really isn't close.
You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark. Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :lmao:
I watched a lot of Panthers games and Williams looked good at times, but at others he appeared tentative and ineffective. Jury is still out IMO. Foster was handed the starting gig and failed, though. He just didn't do anything to secure the starting job. No idea how this will play out this season and beyond, but I would be shocked if Foster keeps the starting job for the next couple of years.Talentwise, I thought Williams was the 2nd best RB in the class after Bush, and head and shoulders above Foster. I didn't really see that translate to the field last year, though. Gonna be interesting to see if he can live up to his talent.

Im waiting patiently to see rep breakdown in TC. Much like Dallas, with a new regime, you could see the RB that we all knew was less talented finally get less touches.
I really don't understand why people think Foster is less talented. Foster has battled through a bunch of injuries for sure, and at thsi time he's probably lost a step or two. But sheer talent? Foster has to win that battle hands down. Physically translating talent into stats? That's entirely different.
I know we have discussed this in other threads, but DeAngelo is clearly more talented. He was draft higher (by a team that had Foster I would add), had more yards in college (he is the NCAA all time leader in yards from scrimmage), is more explosive, is more elusive, and is a better receiver. Now I definitely think that Foster's knee issues have affected his explosiveness, so there could be an argument pre-injury (as Bloom stated). Foster was pretty dynamic in college, but always had fumbling issues, injury problems, and doesn't have the complete skill set of a DeAngelo Williams. At this point in their careers, it really isn't close.
You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark. Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :goodposting:
They DID NOT draft Foster when they had Davis. They signed Davis the year after they drafted Foster and his injured knee.Williams is the more complete back, a better runner and receiver. I drafted Foster as a rookie and Williams in the same league, and have them both.

Foster hands down more talented than Williams?I can see a debate, but I never expected someone to say Foster was clearly more talented than Williams.Personally, I think Foster has never been the same since microfracture. He's still serviceable, but he's turned from an explosive back into a more plodding ball control back - and one who has trouble punching it in inside the 5.
Foster is nt even close talent wise .

You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark. Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :lmao:
You are in for a rude awakening. Williams: better receiver, better vision as a runner. Foster will be the backup before mid season.

I thought DW looks really good last year when given significant carries... especially on that Monday night game against Philly, where he ran for 74 yards (4.4 per carry) and cought 7 passes for 101 yards and a score. At times, he easily looked like the Panthers future back, while I never saw that in Foster.

Admission: I spend last year's 1.2 on him, and so I'm pulling for him big time! :lmao:

You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark. Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :confused:
You are in for a rude awakening. Williams: better receiver, better vision as a runner. Foster will be the backup before mid season.
I heard the same exact thing this time last year, it didn't happen.

You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark. Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :confused:
Foster was completely ineffective last year. You should do a search and look at Otis's Debunking Deshaun Thread from last year.

But sheer talent? Foster has to win that battle hands down
saywha?Foster does not do ONE thing better ... and I own Foster on my teamless injury prone - DWfaster - DWquicker - DWmore productive - DWvision - DWtuffness - DWholy crap i wish you were in my league so i could trade straight up

What is the overall game plan in CAR? I think it's funny that most pundits picked them to win the Super Bowl last year (pre-season picks) and they royally blew it.

In CAR you're looking at a 7-9 season this year.

Carr will be your starter by mid-season when everyone realizes that Jake was a flash in the ban and Foster will be carrying the full load after Williams goes down with injury.

Saints take the NFC South w/Atl (if Vick didn't make the dogs fight) taking 2nd.

You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark. Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :suds:
Hide and watch.

RB DeAngelo Williams is excited about Carolina's new offensive scheme. New OC Jeff Davidson is implementing a zone blocking scheme that will run more screen plays than in past years. When Williams saw the playbook, he couldn't contain his enthusiasm. "I'm excited about the offense altogether because it's identical to the offense we ran in Memphis," Williams said. "We threw a lot of screen passes to the running backs and we ran the outside and inside zone plays. It's just like the offense at Memphis, but with some different terminology."
Dwight Foster said he loves the new offense as well, that he likes zone blocking schemes.

You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark.

Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :confused:
Foster was completely ineffective last year. You should do a search and look at Otis's Debunking Deshaun Thread from last year.
Foster was completely ineffective last year.Foster and Dwilly had the same YPC average last year.

Hide and watch.
Why? Last year people said "Mark it down" and "Bank on it" and "I guarentee it".....Just because you own D. Shorty doesn't mean he'll pan out.

Hide and watch.
Why? Last year people said "Mark it down" and "Bank on it" and "I guarentee it".....Just because you own D. Shorty doesn't mean he'll pan out.
ur absolutely correct. BUT i still like the odds of DeA taking over A LOT HIGHER than Foster staying on as the starter.

You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark. Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :goodposting:
I was going to tell you that they didn't draft Foster when they had Davis, but someone beat me to it. I actually didn't spend any early picks on DeAngelo, but I did trade for him this offseason, for the same reasons that I am defending him in this thread. Anyway, my argument wasn't based on the fact that he was drafted higher, I was just reminding the poster I responded to that he was an earlier pick, and therefore it wasn't likely that Foster was significantly more talented. My arguments are based on their skill sets, their impact in the college game, and their impact in the NFL. You don't think that DWill is a better receiver? He had one less catch last year (33) than Foster's career high, and he missed several games. His high ankle sprain affected his agility and his statistics. Despite missing games and not being fully healthy, he still showed that he could make more of an impact as a receiver than Foster ever has (and it isn't like Davis was ever stealing catches from Foster). Foster averages 8.1 yards per reception for his career, and DWill averaged 9.5 AS A ROOKIE. He is clearly the better receiver despite having less NFL experience, AND despite the fact that you "watched every one" of their games and don't agree.

Now let's look at college dominance. Williams holds the NCAA record for yards from scrimmage. Does Foster hold any college records? Foster averaged 4.4 yards per carry (putrid college average), had 3194 yards rushing, 548 receiving yards, and 44 TDs at UCLA. DWill averaged 6.2 per carry (better career average than DeShaun's best single season in college), had 6026 yards rushing, 723 receiving, and scored 60 TDs for Memphis. Looks pretty close so far...let's look at some scouting reports...

This is from Rivals.com about Williams...

Pros: He has excellent quickness and acceleration coupled with the sharp cutting skills that allow him to change directions and break the big play. He gets to the corner quickly, showing the foot speed and lateral mobility to get outside the tackles and pressure the defense. As a receiver, he has very good hands and is well- developed to be a threat immediately in that role. He shows the ability to get into his routes easily and get consistently open. He displays fine route-running ability with a keen awareness of defensive coverage and soft spots in pass defense. He is dangerous after the catch and follows his blockers well, showing the ability to change speeds and set up defenders.

Cons: His main flaw at this point is his blocking and whether he can handle linebackers in single assignments, something he struggled with at the Senior Bowl. It is this weakness that would keep him on the bench as a rookie. He needs strength and technique work.

This is TSN's scouting report on Foster coming out...

Assets Explosive cutback runner with very good vision and instincts. Downhill runner who finishes his carries. Has soft hands. Runs well between the tackles and has a quick burst when he hits the secondary.

Flaws Tall, upright back who will lose leverage at times. Tends to wear down and may not be a 25-carry workhorse. Not a good blocker.

Career potential Excellent backup.

Now, I know that Foster has been in the NFL a few years, so this scouting report may be slightly meaningless. But it still gives us a feel for the perception of the players coming out of college. DWill was clearly a much better prospect, and Foster has been inconsistent, has fumbled quite a bit, has been very injury prone, and when healthy really hasn't been that effective. DWill hasn't displayed that much at the NFL level, but he is clearly a more natural, talented runner and receiver. At least DWill hasn't proved that he isn't elite...Foster has proved that he is nothing more than mediocre, at the college and NFL level.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own both Deshaun and DeAngelo, so I am trying not to be biased here. After all, my bias affects my team, so I have to read all I can, and go with my gut. I am not a CAR fan, nor do I dislike them. I care not if they finish 3-13 or 13-3. I only care about 2 of my FF RB's. Since DeAngelo is younger, I would prefer to see him overtake Deshaun early in the season and make Deshaun a COP RB. Do I think this will happen? Nope. Sadly, I think CAR will truly be a RBBC in 2007, with neither one getting 200+ carries. 2008 brings a bit more hope for me, if DeAngelo can show he is more valuable. I will certainly be monitoring the carry distribution of these 2 RB's during the year.

Do we really have to make a thread so this stuff.. A player was at minis and he looked very excited about his playbook; ofcourse hes gona to say hes excited when asked.. duh, whats he gona to say "our playbook sucks this yr"

A player woke up today w/ a booner for his coaching staff, raise his draft stock.

:D

I just traded away D-Will after drafting him last year and waiting for him to reach his full potential. I will say while owning both of them last year I was hoping D-Will would take the job cause he does look alot more explosive with the ball. Foster was more consistant however. You knew he wouldn't get the long run but you knew, usually, he would get you 3 or 4 yards. D-Will looks alot more talented between the 2 but Foz does like to give vets every oppurtunity to play. I do think this year is a rbbc in Carolina with D-Will having a chance to own it by week 6 or 7. Dwill is definetly saying all the right things to get on the OC good side and it does look like the new offense could benefit his running style. The huge avg. I think D-Will has is how awful Foster looked at short yardage last year and at teh goal line last year. If D-Will can show consistancy there it will go along way with keeping him on the field. The one big negative for D-Will right now is his blocking. He will need to improve on that to stay on the field escpecially once Carr takes over. I would imagine the Car. coaching staff would want the best protection for him possible to help him due to his problems in the past of getting sacked too much.

I'd draft D-Will before Foster with the expectations of him being a nice value if I can get him in the fifth round.

I would be excited to get him cause he does have a high ceiling but he is also a big gamble.

I agree that I think that DWill is the more talented back. But every year we get excited about the Carolina running game, and every year they disappoint.

First off, Foster is not good, at all, period. I have watched every game he as played as a Panther and aside from a few crucial big runs he is not very good. D Will, will get the bulk of the carries this year and I would not hesitate to draft him in the 2nd. He will be a top 5 pick in 08.

The Man With No Name said:
Dynasty rookie pick trade value:Williams- high 1st rounderFoster- 4th rounder, 3rd if you're lucky
Really, cause I could have sworn I got Braylon and 1.06 for Deshaun and Mike Bell :boxing: :scared:

Da Guru said:
thayman said:
Keith Lewis said:
You really think being drafted about 5 spots higher is a huge deal? Also you do realize the Panthers drafted Deshaun when they had Stephen Davis right? I didn't realize Dwill was a better receiver, that's news to me. Can I go out on a limb and guess you blew a high draft pick last season on Williams and this could be why you believe he is so much better? Just a shot in the dark.

Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :no:
Foster was completely ineffective last year.Foster and Dwilly had the same YPC average last year.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.Anyway, in my original post, as I stated, in terms of sheer talent, Foster has more. Does he show it now? No, because of his injuries, he will never be as fast as he was.

I do find it funny people saying DWill is a better receiver.

linky

Strengths: DeShaun Foster's very strong, and fast, and possesses incredible lateral movement. And despite the Pac-10's "soft" rep, he's not afraid to run between the tackles and get physical. Scouts think he'll be the next great West Coast back, because he's so dynamic coming out of the backfield, but thus far, he's more potential than anything else.

But oh, what potential! Dan Pompei compares him to Corey Dillon; others have compared him to Deuce McAllister. Foster has ideal NFL-size and strength, with a thick upper torso and a deceptive elusiveness that make him very difficult to tackle. If healthy, he has the speed to get outside, but is perhaps better served inside, where his balance, terrific field vision and expert footing become weapons.

Areas of concern: Health. Foster missed almost all of 1998 with a knee injury, unsuccessfully tried to play the 1999 season with a troublesome high ankle sprain, and then was hampered last year by a hand injury. As a result, he's racked up 1,000 yards only once in three college seasons.

He also irked more than a few Bruin coaches, who felt he didn't rehab his knee injury with quite the vigor they would have liked, though he put some of those concerns to rest with a strong, focused spring workout in 2000. He was also picked up and charged last year for marijuana possession, though he claims he was innocent.

Is he sponge-worthy? It will depend on what type of offense Chris Palmer runs, and where the Texans end up drafting. Foster's not number one overall good, and likely won't be, even with a spectacular 2001 season.

But next year could see as many as five really, really good backs available, which could push Foster closer to the second round. If Palmer wants/needs a back who can catch out of the backfield, block and, of course, run, Foster would be an ideal pick.
And for comparison, here's DW's profile
Running Back

DeAngelo Williams

College: Memphis

Year: Senior

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 217

Birthday: April 25, 1983

When an undersized, jitterbugging running back in a blue #20 jersey catches your eye, you might need to remind yourself that Barry Sanders is still retired. While DeAngelo Williams may never be quite the running back Sanders was in the NFL (who would anyway?), the visible similarities between the two are still startling.

Williams is a big fish in the small Conference USA pond. It's where he set or nearly set most of the meaningful rushing records in conference history. Locally, Houston Cougar fans might recall the game in 2004 when Williams rushed for 262 yards, setting a school record. Williams would go on to break his new record later in the season.

Williams' 2004 season ended on a sour note though. With just over a quarter to play in the GMAC Bowl, he fractured his right fibula, an injury that likely made his decision to stay at Memphis a little bit easier than he might have wanted. Had he declared for the 2005 draft, Williams likely would have been a first round pick. Having recovered wonderfully from a torn MCL near the end of the 2003 season to rush for 1,948 yards and a nation's best 22 touchdowns last year, Williams should have little difficulty making it all the way back from his latest injury.

When he's healthy, Williams is a swirling, swerving, hip-shaking shifter with the sub-4.5 speed necessary to turn the corner on the outside, even keeping defenders at bay with a little stiff arm. And don't sub him out on third downs, either. Williams a worthy threat as receiver, taking screens and running short routes.

Williams had a bad case of fumblitis in 2003, coughing up the pigskin six times that season. Despite his smaller size, he can be a good inside runner, but he still needs to prove that he won't lose the handle on the football in traffic. One thing he doesn't lose often though is his cool. A quiet leader with a sharp mind, Williams doesn't have much of an ego at all, which is pretty unusual for his position. He's also a dedicated athlete, so he'll keep in shape in the offseason and keep his NFL team happy.
Foster fell in the draft due to injury history. Williams was ranked lower because of going to a small school. At draft time, Foster had a better rating than Williams respectively. However, sheer talent aside, Foster is 27-28, injury prone, and has lost a step. Williams is the safer bet to put up better number from here on out.

Now besides your fantasy hopes and dreams, did you actually watch any Panther games last year? Did D. Williams really impress you? I watched every one of them and left unimpressed and honestly don't see Williams as being clearly anything, besides shorter. By the way, I don't own either of these guys in any league so my opinion isn't born out of wishful thinking. :D
Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.Anyway, in my original post, as I stated, in terms of sheer talent, Foster has more. Does he show it now? No, because of his injuries, he will never be as fast as he was.

I do find it funny people saying DWill is a better receiver.

linky

Strengths: DeShaun Foster's very strong, and fast, and possesses incredible lateral movement. And despite the Pac-10's "soft" rep, he's not afraid to run between the tackles and get physical. Scouts think he'll be the next great West Coast back, because he's so dynamic coming out of the backfield, but thus far, he's more potential than anything else.

But oh, what potential! Dan Pompei compares him to Corey Dillon; others have compared him to Deuce McAllister. Foster has ideal NFL-size and strength, with a thick upper torso and a deceptive elusiveness that make him very difficult to tackle. If healthy, he has the speed to get outside, but is perhaps better served inside, where his balance, terrific field vision and expert footing become weapons.

Areas of concern: Health. Foster missed almost all of 1998 with a knee injury, unsuccessfully tried to play the 1999 season with a troublesome high ankle sprain, and then was hampered last year by a hand injury. As a result, he's racked up 1,000 yards only once in three college seasons.

He also irked more than a few Bruin coaches, who felt he didn't rehab his knee injury with quite the vigor they would have liked, though he put some of those concerns to rest with a strong, focused spring workout in 2000. He was also picked up and charged last year for marijuana possession, though he claims he was innocent.

Is he sponge-worthy? It will depend on what type of offense Chris Palmer runs, and where the Texans end up drafting. Foster's not number one overall good, and likely won't be, even with a spectacular 2001 season.

But next year could see as many as five really, really good backs available, which could push Foster closer to the second round. If Palmer wants/needs a back who can catch out of the backfield, block and, of course, run, Foster would be an ideal pick.
And for comparison, here's DW's profile
Running Back

DeAngelo Williams

College: Memphis

Year: Senior

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 217

Birthday: April 25, 1983

When an undersized, jitterbugging running back in a blue #20 jersey catches your eye, you might need to remind yourself that Barry Sanders is still retired. While DeAngelo Williams may never be quite the running back Sanders was in the NFL (who would anyway?), the visible similarities between the two are still startling.

Williams is a big fish in the small Conference USA pond. It's where he set or nearly set most of the meaningful rushing records in conference history. Locally, Houston Cougar fans might recall the game in 2004 when Williams rushed for 262 yards, setting a school record. Williams would go on to break his new record later in the season.

Williams' 2004 season ended on a sour note though. With just over a quarter to play in the GMAC Bowl, he fractured his right fibula, an injury that likely made his decision to stay at Memphis a little bit easier than he might have wanted. Had he declared for the 2005 draft, Williams likely would have been a first round pick. Having recovered wonderfully from a torn MCL near the end of the 2003 season to rush for 1,948 yards and a nation's best 22 touchdowns last year, Williams should have little difficulty making it all the way back from his latest injury.

When he's healthy, Williams is a swirling, swerving, hip-shaking shifter with the sub-4.5 speed necessary to turn the corner on the outside, even keeping defenders at bay with a little stiff arm. And don't sub him out on third downs, either. Williams a worthy threat as receiver, taking screens and running short routes.

Williams had a bad case of fumblitis in 2003, coughing up the pigskin six times that season. Despite his smaller size, he can be a good inside runner, but he still needs to prove that he won't lose the handle on the football in traffic. One thing he doesn't lose often though is his cool. A quiet leader with a sharp mind, Williams doesn't have much of an ego at all, which is pretty unusual for his position. He's also a dedicated athlete, so he'll keep in shape in the offseason and keep his NFL team happy.
Foster fell in the draft due to injury history. Williams was ranked lower because of going to a small school. At draft time, Foster had a better rating than Williams respectively. However, sheer talent aside, Foster is 27-28, injury prone, and has lost a step. Williams is the safer bet to put up better number from here on out.
Pulling a random scouting report out doesn't prove that Foster is better out of the backfield. You should address some of my points in my previous post. DeAngelo had 33 catches last year, which means he is already producing in the passing game more than Foster ever has. I do, however, agree that DWill is the safer bet to put up numbers from here on out. But I don't think it is only because Foster is older and injury prone (although that doesn't hurt DeAngelo's cause). DeAngelo is more talented in every phase of the game, and that will cause him to get more playing time and also be more productive.

Wow, I thought the very last delicate thread that people were hanging onto with Foster had broke last year. Guess not.

as far as the foster/williams debate, foster was much more explosive at one time & would have compared more favorably, but looks more ponderous since the knee injury...

deangelo gets to the second level faster, and can do more damage once he gets there... he unquestionably has a brighter future (like has been mentioned, you could get foster PLUS with deangelo in a dynasty league, but not vice verce - not even close)...

foster is a better blocker, and fox is loyal to vets, so those were among some factors that conspired to reduce williams carries last year... fox may be a little more on the hot seat in '07, so if deangelo looks more explosive early (and gives them the best chance to win), which i expect, i could easily see him getting an increasing share of carries as soon as this season... with something like a 60/40 or even 70/30 distribution favoring him...

I took DeAngelo Williams at the 2.06 in the H/A 2 start up 2 weeks ago and I think I got a steal. I was able to secure Foster in the niddle of round 11 so that also made me more comfortable.

DeAngelo had 33 catches, the same as Foster but did it with a lot less carries. I think DeAngelo will get at least 240 carries this season. I also believe with a hole at the WR2 for the moment and no real TE to speak of that he will become a very valuable dumpoff for Delhomme/Carr...but he doesn't just pick up 5-6 yds a catch. He had 33 for 313 or a 9.5 yd per catch avg...backs that can go 8-10+ per catch are super valuable IMO. He can slip tackles a lot better when he gets into open space and also pretty tough for smaller LBs and DBs to bring down...you can't 1 arm tackle this kid. I see 50+ catches as a real possibility for this guy.

I know I will get beat up most of the summer and the reason is simply because DeAngelo didn't do some of the things that maybe Bush or Addai(Did I mention I got him too at 1.07) did but DeAngelo to me has perhaps the best talent after Bush in last year's draft. I think he will make a huge splash this year and owners will be kicking themselves for not jumping on him again this year. A serious 2 way threat which I love...and the fact he only carried it about 125 times last season isn't such a bad thing...he is going to be fresh and ready to start. Foster didn't take a pay cut if he thought he was going to get the lion's share of the work.

I like his prospects for a solid season. Anybody think Foster can continue to hamper this kids development?
definitely. As long as he's on the roster he's a threat to take carries. I'm not a big fan of Foster or the Panther line and think D. Williams has a shot to take on a larger role but that whole situation has the potential to be another black hole this year.

I like his prospects for a solid season. Anybody think Foster can continue to hamper this kids development?
Seriously?Main Entry: search

Pronunciation: 's&rch'

Function: verb

Etymology: Middle English cerchen, from Anglo-French cercher, sercher to travel about, investigate, search, from Late Latin circare to go about, from Latin circum round about -- more at CIRCUM-

transitive verb

1 : to look into or over carefully or thoroughly in an effort to find or discover something: as a : to examine in seeking something <searched the north field> b : to look through or explore by inspecting possible places of concealment or investigating suspicious circumstances c : to read thoroughly : CHECK; especially : to examine a public record or register for information about <search land titles> d : to examine for articles concealed on the person e : to look at as if to discover or penetrate intention or nature

Deangelo Williams Thread #1

Deangelo Williams Thread #2

Deangelo Williams Thread #3

Deangelo Williams Thread #4

Denagelo Williams Thread #5

Deangelo Williams Thread #6

Deangelo Williams Thread #7

Deangelo Williams Thread #8

Etymology: Middle English cerchen, from Anglo-French cercher, sercher to travel about, investigate, search, from Late Latin circare to go about, from Latin circum round about -- more at CIRCUM-

transitive verb

1 : to look into or over carefully or thoroughly in an effort to find or discover something: as a : to examine in seeking something <searched the north field> b : to look through or explore by inspecting possible places of concealment or investigating suspicious circumstances c : to read thoroughly : CHECK; especially : to examine a public record or register for information about <search land titles> d : to examine for articles concealed on the person e : to look at as if to discover or penetrate intention or nature

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

transitive verb

Dhizz

Group: Members

Member No.: 27263
You had to create an alias to post this?

transitive verb

Dhizz

Yeah I created it yesterday, because I was sure someone was going to start a moronic thread today. You're good.

transitive verb

Dhizz

Yeah I created it yesterday, because I was sure someone was going to start a moronic thread today. You're good.
Regardless. You ####ed out and used your alias to take a shot at someone. Well done. :lmao:

transitive verb

Dhizz

Exactly why I created the thread in the first place. Thanks for doing the work for me. Now, who exactly is the moron? :lmao:

being that this is the most current I'l comment , and not look through9 threads to se if someone else had the same opinion.

Love D-Will.

Main concern - is this not the same coach that favors the veterans and let Stephen Davis carry the load when Deshaun was the hotter, more talented prospect for a few years.

I can totally see Fox doing this again this year, it scares me enough.

Without Fox/Foster Dwill = top 8 rb

with Fox Foster = potential top 8, with potential top 17

Exactly why I created the thread in the first place. Thanks for doing the work for me. Now, who exactly is the moron? :bag:
Probably the one who can't figure out how to use the search function
:bag: I know how to use the search function. I also know this site is chock full of "geniuses" who just can't bear to not tell somebody else how to do things "the right way". So again, thanks for doing the work mr predictable.

Guys, it's may. There's no need to fight over this nonsense, it's not like there's a lot of other threads flying about this board that need our attention.

Just chill.

The Stephen Davis thing is interesting. Davis was obviously older and slower than Deshaun the last two years he was in Carolina, but I think there are other ways to explain this other than Fox favoring vets over younger players:

2003 was a banner year for Davis and the Panthers. He carried the rock over 300 times, averaged about 4.5, and almost cracked 1500 on the ground despite missing two games.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1440

The next year, 2004, he hardly played. So, he was basically one injured-year removed from a fantastic season. In 2005, he played 13 games and started 11, and his ypc sank to 3.1. Fox recognized that Stephen was not the player he once was and started Foster, who had never had anything close to the success Davis had, for the end of the season. Foster had a 3.8 ypc in 2003 and was injured for most of 2004, so had no chance to assert himself while Davis was out. Then in 2005 he started five games and got his ypc up to 4.3. In the 2006 draft the Panthers spend their first pick on D-Will.

To me, it seems more like that Fox has never had confidence in Foster and that's why he didn't start over Davis in 05. Drafting D-Will even though they had a stable of RBs behind Foster backs up this theory, as does word out of Carolina org that DWill is now the man. I see DWill taking about 66% and Foster getting about 33%.

Users who are viewing this thread