Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jamny

***New York***

46 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

Looks like I am coming back for a few days at the end of October.  Question - have any of you gone to an Army home game from NYC?  Looks like there is a ferry that does a service for it.  Is it worth the trip?  Pretty seamless?

I've played (soccer) at Army. Nice trip up there, hopefully a little fall foliage left. Ferry could be cool...never gone up river with it, but been thinking about doing a trip. Couldn't tell you about seamless, other than ordering dinner.

27 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I've played (soccer) at Army. Nice trip up there, hopefully a little fall foliage left. Ferry could be cool...never gone up river with it, but been thinking about doing a trip. Couldn't tell you about seamless, other than ordering dinner.

If not ferry, what would you suggest to get there, and how long to expect?

19 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

If not ferry, what would you suggest to get there, and how long to expect?

It's about 90mins by car. I think there are public buses, not sure about train. I got there with the team bus.

You could take the subway to see Columbia play uptown instead...not quite the same, but easy trip.

Eta. My old teammate, Satchy, has a kid at West point and probably could give you a lift. 

Edited by El Floppo

I know people who have taken the ferry up to Army for games. Everyone says it's an amazing trip all together and the ferry makes it even better (especially if timing is good and you can catch all the fall colors). 

Definitely something I'm planning to do one day.

I've been to some home Army games, and I have always had a great time.  If you can, take some time to see the campus too.  I have never taken the ferry there, but it sounds like a fun way to get there and back.  It sounds like a great day overall.

• Like 1

Still debating the Army game, though it would take most of the day.  Question if I do not, OSU plays Wisconsin that day.  Where would be a good place to watch it, assuming I would rather not hang out in my hotel room?  I do not drink, so take that into account.  Hotel is right off of Times Square.

24 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

Still debating the Army game, though it would take most of the day.  Question if I do not, OSU plays Wisconsin that day.  Where would be a good place to watch it, assuming I would rather not hang out in my hotel room?  I do not drink, so take that into account.  Hotel is right off of Times Square.

There's a lot of sports bars that will have the game on, but you will have to be willing to deal with people who are drinking.  I can't think of anywhere that wouldn't involve alcohol.  Aside from some places, you obviously don't have to drink alcohol if you don't want.  I have been to some bars where they will kick you out if you're not drinking, like McSorelys, but they aren't going to be appealing to you anyway.

I don't know Times Square well since I hate Times Square (like most New Yorkers).  There may be some more family oriented restaurant/bars that will have the game on but not so much a bar feel compared to other places.

Either way, if the weather is nice I would go to West Point.  It's more than just a football game, especially if you take the ferry, which should be great on it's own.

Edited by RC94
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mad Cow said:

Agree with rc...take the ferry.

NYC is full of bars that support one college team or another...wouldn't be surprised if there was an OSU or Wis bar here if you want to go that route.

• Like 1

Go to the Army Game. Afterward come across the river to Beacon and I’ll take you to dinner. We can reminisce about the LOTRO auction house. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Go to the Army Game. Afterward come across the river to Beacon and I’ll take you to dinner. We can reminisce about the LOTRO auction house. 

Or you can join me at the game :)

41 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

Or you can join me at the game :)

Would love to but unless it's a night game I'm wrapped up in horrible horrible kids' soccer.  

• Like 1

Never done the ferry to an Army game but love going to them and have been since I was a kid.  Actually going to the UMass game in a couple of weeks.  It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere.  Michie is also a great place to watch a game.  I highly recommend it. 

2 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Never done the ferry to an Army game but love going to them and have been since I was a kid.  Actually going to the UMass game in a couple of weeks.  It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere.  Michie is also a great place to watch a game.  I highly recommend it. 

I'll join RC in giving this a :sadbanana:

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:50 PM, belljr said:

STaying here

Courtyard by Marriott New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area - 133 Greenwich St, New York, NY

Wife is supposed to be buying the Memorial and Liberty tickets this morning.

Only going to Empire because my daughter wants too.

I plan on leaving my house around 8:30 am.    With no traffic I'm ~ 1:35

Hoping to get to hotel by 10:30 - 11.   We have noon tickets....

Thought I updated. Drove in. Just fine - only hit traffic near the battery tunnel.  Had a great visit.  The memorial and museum are very "good". Hit statue of liberty, and one WTC observation deck.  Even subwayed up to Empire State building.  Overall good weekend.  Pretty much just hung in the area 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

I'll join RC in giving this a :sadbanana:

What is better locally?  Is it like going to Ohio state/Clemson, etc?  No, as it is different but in a lot of ways with the Army traditions it is almost better.  

Edited by Redwes25

7 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

What is better locally?  Is it like going to Ohio state/Clemson, etc?  No, as it is different but in a lot of ways with the Army traditions it is almost better.  

It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere. 

I was reacting to that. Don't have to leave Manhattan to get a college game in uptown...and Rutgers is also pretty close.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere. 

I was reacting to that. Don't have to leave Manhattan to get a college game in uptown...and Rutgers is also pretty close.

Rutgers is home playing mother flipping Liberty next weekend, so that is out.  Oh that they played really ANY other B1G team, I would go there.  Still crap loads of tix for Army, just want to get a little closer to see weather.  Rain would make it a pass.

34 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Got it

35 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

Rutgers is home playing mother flipping Liberty next weekend, so that is out.  Oh that they played really ANY other B1G team, I would go there.  Still crap loads of tix for Army, just want to get a little closer to see weather.  Rain would make it a pass.

Don't get me wrong- I think it's a great idea to head up there for a game. Just saying there options... If you're desperate.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Don't get me wrong- I think it's a great idea to head up there for a game. Just saying there options... If you're desperate.

No no, i looked at all of those.  I was actively looking at Army given the lack of a decent game at Rutgers.  I am still debating the whole ferry thing.  3 hours each way, daaaannng.  I am sure it is cool and all, but that seems more like a take your wife and cozy up as she gets warm and sees the pretty foliage and you get a little sumpin sumpin afterwards kind of thing.  If you know what I mean.  $85 for the round trip.  Anything faster that can be had for about the same cost?  Any trains or such?

Think there's a lot of legit stuff to see at West Point for you to enjoy the time up there alone, but it seems like you're just not really into it so no sense in forcing it. 

Just hang in the city. Hit a couple different bars for a few hours to watch some games.

59 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Think there's a lot of legit stuff to see at West Point for you to enjoy the time up there alone, but it seems like you're just not really into it so no sense in forcing it. 

Just hang in the city. Hit a couple different bars for a few hours to watch some games.

No, I am OK seeing the stuff up there, it is the 6 hours alone on the boat that seems a tad much. ;)

20 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

No, I am OK seeing the stuff up there, it is the 6 hours alone on the boat that seems a tad much. ;)

Found this...

There are no trains that go directly to West Point. Below is the travel info from the West Point website:

http://www.usma.edu/

Railroad:

Metro-North has rail service from Grand Central Station in mid-town Manhattan, up the east bank of the Hudson. Trains to Garrison, NY, directly across the river from West Point, take approx 1 hour and 10 minutes and cost a little under $15. If you don’t have a car, get off at Peekskill, one stop south of Garrison, where cabs are often waiting. You may want to call to reserve a Highland Falls or Peekskill cab. Driving time from Garrison or Peekskill to West Point is approximately 20 minutes.

Bus:

Short Line Bus offers daily bus service from the New York City Port Authority, near Times Square in midtown Manhattan, to the West Point Visitors Center; one-way trip takes 1 hour 40 minutes and costs approx $15. Short Line also has day trip packages with sightseeing and local discounts.

Eta...it's from several years ago

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 2

Columbia has an iconic campus, a real stadium, and is in Manhattan so that's a good option if you want to see a college game in person.  Rutgers is much closer than West Point, and they might actually be able to win against Liberty.  It's a great atmosphere, although admittedly I'm biased.  However, it's not West Point.  West Point campus is really cool.  The game is different too with all of the cadets going to every home game.  There's a museum there too.  Rutgers is fun, but it's fun like going to any other Big10 game.  West Point is different and worth the experience.

I didn't realize the ferry was such a long ride, but I would probably still do it.  I would probably take it there for the experience and if you want to leave early, or not deal with a 3 hour trip back, you can take a taxi or Uber to the train station and take the train back to NYC, although that would still probably take 2 hours or so in total.  The train is a good way to travel around here.  Just check the schedule from the station you would go through so you can time it right.  I think the day overall is worth figuring out good travel plans back and forth.  I know it's a long way if you're spending 6 hours travel time, but at night the view of NYC from the river is amazing.  Either way, there are travel options for you around here for a day trip like that, and if I were to recommend any type of day trip from NYC, this one would be at the top of my list.

16 minutes ago, RC94 said:

Columbia has an iconic campus, a real stadium, and is in Manhattan so that's a good option if you want to see a college game in person.  Rutgers is much closer than West Point, and they might actually be able to win against Liberty.  It's a great atmosphere, although admittedly I'm biased.  However, it's not West Point.  West Point campus is really cool.  The game is different too with all of the cadets going to every home game.  There's a museum there too.  Rutgers is fun, but it's fun like going to any other Big10 game.  West Point is different and worth the experience.

I didn't realize the ferry was such a long ride, but I would probably still do it.  I would probably take it there for the experience and if you want to leave early, or not deal with a 3 hour trip back, you can take a taxi or Uber to the train station and take the train back to NYC, although that would still probably take 2 hours or so in total.  The train is a good way to travel around here.  Just check the schedule from the station you would go through so you can time it right.  I think the day overall is worth figuring out good travel plans back and forth.  I know it's a long way if you're spending 6 hours travel time, but at night the view of NYC from the river is amazing.  Either way, there are travel options for you around here for a day trip like that, and if I were to recommend any type of day trip from NYC, this one would be at the top of my list.

Columbia campus is nice, but also a long ways away from Baker field.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Columbia campus is nice, but also a long ways away from Baker field.

I had to look it up.  I didn't realize Baker Field is in Inwood.  That's still in Manhattan, technically.

1 minute ago, RC94 said:

I had to look it up.  I didn't realize Baker Field is in Inwood.  That's still in Manhattan, technically.

Why I said Manhattan. But not cu campus.

Cow I don’t know what your full Itinerary is but if you go to West Point you are committing a full day of your trip. If it were me I’d do the ferry and embrace it or I’d try to get an air bnb for after the game in cold spring or Beacon. Enjoy some Hudson Valley and head back to the city on the first train the next morning.  Serious about buying you dinner if you choose option 2. 

• Like 1

Just so folks understand, how my family and I do the army game (wife, 3 kids, my parents and sometimes my brother) I thought I would let folks know.  I personally usually rent a hotel room at bear mountain lodge the night before and then drive in first thing in the morning so I can get there early and tailgate before the game.  I am heading from Brooklyn and it is a long drive if you want to be there early and bear mountain is like 20 minutes away and neat spot by itself.  My parents and brother who are closer and don't live in the City will meet us early morning at bear mountain and we then carpool into the stadium.  I highly recommend you buy parking in advance/get there early as security at the entrance is intense and can take sometime.  There is much more security then at any other football game/college campus.    

I would not recommend public transit to West Point.  The Ferry ride sounds cool but would think that system (with 3 hour travel time) would not allow much tailgating, etc.

Given travel times I don't think you can do anything other than commit to full day to the journey.  

• Like 1

Aside from Central Park, any cool places to run that you would recommend?  I saw something about a park along the Hudson?

32 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

Aside from Central Park, any cool places to run that you would recommend?  I saw something about a park along the Hudson?

How far? Where are you staying? I've run just about every inch of Manhattan, fwiw (not so many inches lately). I can tailor plan a route for you.

Hudson river is nice...depending where you are and how far you want to go. Some less nice spots. Also makes for more of an out and back, which isn't the worst thing. I'm downtown and east- I typically run along the South tip of manhattan along the east and then Hudson rivers. Also enjoy williamsburgh bridge into Brooklyn and around to Manhattan bridge (Brooklyn bridge is way nicer, but so crowded you can barely move) and back.

Central Park is fantastic though, if you haven't done it. Lots of options and loops and even trail vs road. Fantastic time of year to run it too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

How far? Where are you staying? I've run just about every inch of Manhattan, fwiw (not so many inches lately). I can tailor plan a route for you.

Hudson river is nice...depending where you are and how far you want to go. Some less nice spots. Also makes for more of an out and back, which isn't the worst thing. I'm downtown and east- I typically run along the South tip of manhattan along the east and then Hudson rivers. Also enjoy williamsburgh bridge into Brooklyn and around to Manhattan bridge (Brooklyn bridge is way nicer, but so crowded you can barely move) and back.

Central Park is fantastic though, if you haven't done it. Lots of options and loops and even trail vs road. Fantastic time of year to run it too.

Hotel for this thing is right near Times Square.  I have run Central Park once, and will get once in there.  I generally run around 5, 4 to 6 or more is totally fine.  Don't even think about running less than 4.

12 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

Hotel for this thing is right near Times Square.  I have run Central Park once, and will get once in there.  I generally run around 5, 4 to 6 or more is totally fine.  Don't even think about running less than 4.

Are you wanting to run out of the hotel, or commute to the run?

12 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Are you wanting to run out of the hotel, or commute to the run?

I can do either.  Will work in a walk on Sunday, maybe along the Highline

38 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

I can do either.  Will work in a walk on Sunday, maybe along the Highline

You're equidistant to the park or Hudson River from times square...2/3mi.

Aside from the entrepid aircraft carrier, the stretch up and down the river from there (42nd St ish) about a mile either way is kinda meh tbh.

The river is nicer above 60th and below 23rd. So I'd say hop a cab or Subway and head south for the river (end up with views of statue of liberty, WTC, bridges, seaport, battery, etc) or do the two bridges run I mentioned...bklyn br is ok of you get there early. The South loop I do uses Houston St as the top of it, around 7.5. can also run through wall St, or other parts to shorten or make it more interesting. 

Tbh, there are a ton of run options in central Park too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Cow said:

I like that run along the Hudson.  Good path for runners and bikers alike.  You won't have to worry about cars for the most part.  As Floppo said, it's a bit meh in the midtown area but once you get south of 23rd, it's pretty awesome.  A run from 42nd to Battery is probably in the 5 mile range.  You can cool down around Battery Park and take the subway back .  It's a nice park to relax in and great views from the Southern tip of the island.  

Edited by Major
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Major said:

I like that run along the Hudson.  Good path for runners and bikers alike.  You won't have to worry about cars for the most part.  As Floppo said, it's a bit meh in the midtown area but once you get south of 23rd, it's pretty awesome.  A run from 42nd to Battery is probably in the 5 mile range.  You can cool down around Battery Park and take the subway back .  It's a nice park to relax in and great views from the Southern tip of the island.  

Dunno why I wasn't thinking of a run out and commute back...that totally works. Can also head east to the UN for a run down the East River, but I think it's nicer on the west side.

I've always wanted to run on Roosevelt island...some great views of the city there.

17 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Dunno why I wasn't thinking of a run out and commute back...that totally works. Can also head east to the UN for a run down the East River, but I think it's nicer on the west side.

I've always wanted to run on Roosevelt island...some great views of the city there.

Last time there we were close to the east side, so I did just that, ran to UN then down, did not quite make it to the Brooklyn Bridge before turning.  5 miles or a tad more.

• Like 1

Coming in via JFK.  Would you recommend the Air Train then transfer to the E, or is Uber/taxi a decent option?  Looking at the price/speed/comfort balance here.  I will be alone and have just a backpack and carryon, so can do public if need to, but it will also be at 5pm on a Friday when I arrive.

I would always end up taking an Uber even if it costs me way too much money and traffic is terrible, but the public option is a good one if you don't want to deal with either of those (the traffic being a bigger potential problem given your arrival time). 

Probably best to just plan on taking AirTrain/subway (so you know where to go, how to get a Metrocard, where you're transferring), while checking on Uber as you're walking out of the gate. If the price/time estimate is reasonable, you can always switch to that.

• Like 1

Those kind of decisions always end up the same for me: if my chosen method ends up going smoothly, I feel great that I saved all that money, time, etc. But if it goes ####ty the first thing I'll say is that I wish I spent the $80 on the uber so I wouldn't be stuck underground for 20 mins for an unexplained delay or as I watch 4 full trains pass that I can't get on...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

I would always end up taking an Uber even if it costs me way too much money and traffic is terrible, but the public option is a good one if you don't want to deal with either of those (the traffic being a bigger potential problem given your arrival time). 

Probably best to just plan on taking AirTrain/subway (so you know where to go, how to get a Metrocard, where you're transferring), while checking on Uber as you're walking out of the gate. If the price/time estimate is reasonable, you can always switch to that.

We got really comfortable with the subway 2 years ago.  Figure it will take me a trip or 2 to get back in the flow, and traffic could certainly be a monster, which is why I would really consider the E option.

Alone with a backpack and familiar with the subways? I would go that route. You're heading into the city, so it won't be as packed.

1 hour ago, Mad Cow said:

Coming in via JFK.  Would you recommend the Air Train then transfer to the E, or is Uber/taxi a decent option?  Looking at the price/speed/comfort balance here.  I will be alone and have just a backpack and carryon, so can do public if need to, but it will also be at 5pm on a Friday when I arrive.

I love using the subway but have never taken public transport from JFK.  Far too many transfers, walking up and down stairs, crowds, etc.  I normally use Uber/Taxi but I'd recommend taking one of those private buses that drop you off in midtown for $15 if you want to save cash.  

Lots of direct bus options like these:

https://www.nycairporter.com/ourservices/jfk-to-manhattan/

Edited by Major

While public transportation to and from the airports is possible, it's a big pain in the neck.  I would never recommend it.  Take a taxi.  This is one area where it's worth spending a little extra.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Major said:

I love using the subway but have never taken public transport from JFK.  Far too many transfers, walking up and down stairs, crowds, etc.  I normally use Uber/Taxi but I'd recommend taking one of those private buses that drop you off in midtown for $15 if you want to save cash.  

I think "far too many" is overstating it.

My 85yo mother takes the subway to airtrain.

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I think "far too many" is overstating it.

My 85yo mother takes the subway to airtrain.

True.  It really depends where you're heading.  I just remember having to transfer 3 times and then a 15-20 minute walk with bags for an east village destination.  Not my thing. 

Edited by Major

17 hours ago, Major said:

Is this an option if you are coming with a toddler who needs a car seat? I imagine not. 

23 minutes ago, Capella said:

Is this an option if you are coming with a toddler who needs a car seat? I imagine not. 

Wouldn't recommend for that.

Some of the local car services offer car seats if you don't want to take one with you.