What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

Cow I don’t know what your full Itinerary is but if you go to West Point you are committing a full day of your trip. If it were me I’d do the ferry and embrace it or I’d try to get an air bnb for after the game in cold spring or Beacon. Enjoy some Hudson Valley and head back to the city on the first train the next morning.  Serious about buying you dinner if you choose option 2. 

Just so folks understand, how my family and I do the army game (wife, 3 kids, my parents and sometimes my brother) I thought I would let folks know.  I personally usually rent a hotel room at bear mountain lodge the night before and then drive in first thing in the morning so I can get there early and tailgate before the game.  I am heading from Brooklyn and it is a long drive if you want to be there early and bear mountain is like 20 minutes away and neat spot by itself.  My parents and brother who are closer and don't live in the City will meet us early morning at bear mountain and we then carpool into the stadium.  I highly recommend you buy parking in advance/get there early as security at the entrance is intense and can take sometime.  There is much more security then at any other football game/college campus.    

I would not recommend public transit to West Point.  The Ferry ride sounds cool but would think that system (with 3 hour travel time) would not allow much tailgating, etc.

Given travel times I don't think you can do anything other than commit to full day to the journey.  

Aside from Central Park, any cool places to run that you would recommend?  I saw something about a park along the Hudson?

Aside from Central Park, any cool places to run that you would recommend?  I saw something about a park along the Hudson?
How far? Where are you staying? I've run just about every inch of Manhattan, fwiw (not so many inches lately). I can tailor plan a route for you.

Hudson river is nice...depending where you are and how far you want to go. Some less nice spots. Also makes for more of an out and back, which isn't the worst thing. I'm downtown and east- I typically run along the South tip of manhattan along the east and then Hudson rivers. Also enjoy williamsburgh bridge into Brooklyn and around to Manhattan bridge (Brooklyn bridge is way nicer, but so crowded you can barely move) and back.

Central Park is fantastic though, if you haven't done it. Lots of options and loops and even trail vs road. Fantastic time of year to run it too.

How far? Where are you staying? I've run just about every inch of Manhattan, fwiw (not so many inches lately). I can tailor plan a route for you.

Hudson river is nice...depending where you are and how far you want to go. Some less nice spots. Also makes for more of an out and back, which isn't the worst thing. I'm downtown and east- I typically run along the South tip of manhattan along the east and then Hudson rivers. Also enjoy williamsburgh bridge into Brooklyn and around to Manhattan bridge (Brooklyn bridge is way nicer, but so crowded you can barely move) and back.

Central Park is fantastic though, if you haven't done it. Lots of options and loops and even trail vs road. Fantastic time of year to run it too.
Hotel for this thing is right near Times Square.  I have run Central Park once, and will get once in there.  I generally run around 5, 4 to 6 or more is totally fine.  Don't even think about running less than 4.

Hotel for this thing is right near Times Square.  I have run Central Park once, and will get once in there.  I generally run around 5, 4 to 6 or more is totally fine.  Don't even think about running less than 4.
Are you wanting to run out of the hotel, or commute to the run?

I can do either.  Will work in a walk on Sunday, maybe along the Highline
You're equidistant to the park or Hudson River from times square...2/3mi.

Aside from the entrepid aircraft carrier, the stretch up and down the river from there (42nd St ish) about a mile either way is kinda meh tbh.

The river is nicer above 60th and below 23rd. So I'd say hop a cab or Subway and head south for the river (end up with views of statue of liberty, WTC, bridges, seaport, battery, etc) or do the two bridges run I mentioned...bklyn br is ok of you get there early. The South loop I do uses Houston St as the top of it, around 7.5. can also run through wall St, or other parts to shorten or make it more interesting. 

Tbh, there are a ton of run options in central Park too.

I like that run along the Hudson.  Good path for runners and bikers alike.  You won't have to worry about cars for the most part.  As Floppo said, it's a bit meh in the midtown area but once you get south of 23rd, it's pretty awesome.  A run from 42nd to Battery is probably in the 5 mile range.  You can cool down around Battery Park and take the subway back .  It's a nice park to relax in and great views from the Southern tip of the island.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that run along the Hudson.  Good path for runners and bikers alike.  You won't have to worry about cars for the most part.  As Floppo said, it's a bit meh in the midtown area but once you get south of 23rd, it's pretty awesome.  A run from 42nd to Battery is probably in the 5 mile range.  You can cool down around Battery Park and take the subway back .  It's a nice park to relax in and great views from the Southern tip of the island.  
Dunno why I wasn't thinking of a run out and commute back...that totally works. Can also head east to the UN for a run down the East River, but I think it's nicer on the west side.

I've always wanted to run on Roosevelt island...some great views of the city there.

Dunno why I wasn't thinking of a run out and commute back...that totally works. Can also head east to the UN for a run down the East River, but I think it's nicer on the west side.

I've always wanted to run on Roosevelt island...some great views of the city there.
Last time there we were close to the east side, so I did just that, ran to UN then down, did not quite make it to the Brooklyn Bridge before turning.  5 miles or a tad more.

Coming in via JFK.  Would you recommend the Air Train then transfer to the E, or is Uber/taxi a decent option?  Looking at the price/speed/comfort balance here.  I will be alone and have just a backpack and carryon, so can do public if need to, but it will also be at 5pm on a Friday when I arrive.

I would always end up taking an Uber even if it costs me way too much money and traffic is terrible, but the public option is a good one if you don't want to deal with either of those (the traffic being a bigger potential problem given your arrival time). 

Probably best to just plan on taking AirTrain/subway (so you know where to go, how to get a Metrocard, where you're transferring), while checking on Uber as you're walking out of the gate. If the price/time estimate is reasonable, you can always switch to that.

Those kind of decisions always end up the same for me: if my chosen method ends up going smoothly, I feel great that I saved all that money, time, etc. But if it goes ####ty the first thing I'll say is that I wish I spent the $80 on the uber so I wouldn't be stuck underground for 20 mins for an unexplained delay or as I watch 4 full trains pass that I can't get on...

I would always end up taking an Uber even if it costs me way too much money and traffic is terrible, but the public option is a good one if you don't want to deal with either of those (the traffic being a bigger potential problem given your arrival time). 

Probably best to just plan on taking AirTrain/subway (so you know where to go, how to get a Metrocard, where you're transferring), while checking on Uber as you're walking out of the gate. If the price/time estimate is reasonable, you can always switch to that.
We got really comfortable with the subway 2 years ago.  Figure it will take me a trip or 2 to get back in the flow, and traffic could certainly be a monster, which is why I would really consider the E option.

Alone with a backpack and familiar with the subways? I would go that route. You're heading into the city, so it won't be as packed.

Mad Cow said:
Coming in via JFK.  Would you recommend the Air Train then transfer to the E, or is Uber/taxi a decent option?  Looking at the price/speed/comfort balance here.  I will be alone and have just a backpack and carryon, so can do public if need to, but it will also be at 5pm on a Friday when I arrive.
I love using the subway but have never taken public transport from JFK.  Far too many transfers, walking up and down stairs, crowds, etc.  I normally use Uber/Taxi but I'd recommend taking one of those private buses that drop you off in midtown for $15 if you want to save cash.  

Lots of direct bus options like these:

https://www.nycairporter.com/ourservices/jfk-to-manhattan/

I love using the subway but have never taken public transport from JFK.  Far too many transfers, walking up and down stairs, crowds, etc.  I normally use Uber/Taxi but I'd recommend taking one of those private buses that drop you off in midtown for $15 if you want to save cash.  

I think "far too many" is overstating it.

My 85yo mother takes the subway to airtrain.

I think "far too many" is overstating it.

My 85yo mother takes the subway to airtrain.
True.  It really depends where you're heading.  I just remember having to transfer 3 times and then a 15-20 minute walk with bags for an east village destination.  Not my thing. 

Is this an option if you are coming with a toddler who needs a car seat? I imagine not. 

Wouldn't recommend for that.

Some of the local car services offer car seats if you don't want to take one with you.
Yea we are rather settled on Uber and their car seat option, although there are some fancier ones available too. 

bringing the kid up with us for a long weekend in December. Excited, but also wondering if we are insane for doing so. 

Yea we are rather settled on Uber and their car seat option, although there are some fancier ones available too. 

bringing the kid up with us for a long weekend in December. Excited, but also wondering if we are insane for doing so. 
Still in a car seat or can they do a booster?  If booster we have used these for travel and ubers, etc.   https://www.bubblebum.co/us/

They are great in a pinch and since we live in NYC we tend take a lot of ubers, taxis, etc..  They deflate pretty small so not hard to bring them with you as you can throw them in a backpack.  

Still in a car seat or can they do a booster?  If booster we have used these for travel and ubers, etc.   https://www.bubblebum.co/us/

They are great in a pinch and since we live in NYC we tend take a lot of ubers, taxis, etc..  They deflate pretty small so not hard to bring them with you as you can throw them in a backpack.  

We use the Mifold.  It positions the shoulder strap and is about the size of a book.  It's for a 4 year old though so probably won't work in this case.  

I have to imagine requesting an Uber with a car seat is a guaranteed minimum 30 min wait time at the airport. I've never done it or known anyone who has tried though, so maybe it's way more common than I'm thinking. 

I'm pretty risk averse but for a toddler I'm not sure I'd trust whatever car seat a particular Uber would end up having anyway. Last time we needed one we borrowed a travel seat from a friend. Believe it was under $100 at Costco and they had the big carrying bag too. It's free to check at the airport and you can throw a ton of #### in that bag with the seat and they don't care. Freeing up space in your own checked bag is a nice benefit.

I have to imagine requesting an Uber with a car seat is a guaranteed minimum 30 min wait time at the airport. I've never done it or known anyone who has tried though, so maybe it's way more common than I'm thinking. 

I'm pretty risk averse but for a toddler I'm not sure I'd trust whatever car seat a particular Uber would end up having anyway. Last time we needed one we borrowed a travel seat from a friend. Believe it was under $100 at Costco and they had the big carrying bag too. It's free to check at the airport and you can throw a ton of #### in that bag with the seat and they don't care. Freeing up space in your own checked bag is a nice benefit.
I have no problem with buying mine at all — do you suppose an Uber driver would have a problem with me putting it in the car? 

I have no problem with buying mine at all — do you suppose an Uber driver would have a problem with me putting it in the car? 
No.

There are car services in NYC that you can reserve, and you can ask to send with car seats (777-7777, 666-66666, 333-3333). Decent prices, and don't have to wait.

I’m just gonna book a car service. I’ll be one of those fancy puds who comes off the plane and the guy has his name on the iPad. 

I’m just gonna book a car service. I’ll be one of those fancy puds who comes off the plane and the guy has his name on the iPad. 
Not how the ones I use work.

We arrive and call (reservations already made) once we've got out luggage. They tell us which pick up area to go wait at. I like your version better

Not how the ones I use work.

We arrive and call (reservations already made) once we've got out luggage. They tell us which pick up area to go wait at. I like your version better
The service I use allows you to designate an in airport pickup for an extra fee when you make the initial reservation.  

Yeah you can pay extra with Dial 7/Carmel for them to pick you up inside. Not sure if there's an extra charge for paper sign vs iPad.

We have to take him if we want to go because we don’t want to put that on friends and the grandparents can’t handle him for 4 days sooooooo :shrug:  — I’m a little in the air about it but my wife is confident. YOLO I guess. 

We have to take him if we want to go because we don’t want to put that on friends and the grandparents can’t handle him for 4 days sooooooo :shrug:  — I’m a little in the air about it but my wife is confident. YOLO I guess. 
It'll be fine. Exhausting, but fine.

I don't have kids so I'm not sure, but I think there are some museums with interactive exhibits, some of which may be for young kids.  There are websites you can search for activities in NYC for young kids.  I can ask my brother to see if he has looked into it in the past.  

I don't have kids so I'm not sure, but I think there are some museums with interactive exhibits, some of which may be for young kids.  There are websites you can search for activities in NYC for young kids.  I can ask my brother to see if he has looked into it in the past.  
I can recommend plenty of stuff... but I think this trip is more about the parents than the kid (who won't remember any of it at toddler age). There'll be plenty to keep the kid stimulated.

If you guys actually want to do kid stuff, let us know. Bunch of us here have youngish kids.

Users who are viewing this thread