What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

----------------------------------

Mike Renner‏Verified account @PFF_Mike

Underrated aspect of Olivier Vernon trade: Vernon had the hardest job of any edge in the NFL. Faced the LTs in the NFC East (Tyron Smith, Jason Peters, Trent Williams) 6 times a year. That’s light years harder than the RTs in the AFC North 6 times

2:28 PM - 8 Mar 2019
They better let Garrett and Vernon swap sides now and again.  I swear whenever Garrett lined up on the other side he got pressure.  

Former Vikings’ DT Sheldon Richardson intends to sign a three-year deal with the Cleveland Browns when free agency opens Wednesday, a source tells ESPN.

Cleveland’s opening-day front four now expected to be DE Myles Garrett, DT Larry Ogunjobi, Richardson and DE Emmanuel Ogbah.

KABOOOOOOM + VERNON

Dangerous DL with Garrett, LarryO, Richardson, and Vernon.  Need some LBs to help beef up that front 7, but I like the look of what Dorsey is building.  Probably the best part is that he didn't fall into that bidding war and going overboard on FAs.  Richardson's 3 year contract is just fine, and doesn't break the bank.  

With that said, I think Hicks will cost a small fortune - but there aren't many other playmaking LBs like him out there right now, with Mosley going to NYJ.  I'd also like to see Roby come over to play opposite of Ward.  Those would be my main targets right now.

Not a big Tyrell Williams fan, and I think I'd rather go with a draftee rather than bring in Williams.  He played opposite of a true #1 WR and had a very good QB throwing him the ball - yet Williams didn't really produce.  I just don't think what he brings to the team will justify the money it will take to sign him.  Let someone else overpay.

Contract/signing details.

--------------------------------------

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Browns are giving former Vikings' DT Sheldon Richardson a three-year, $39 deal that includes $21.5 million guaranteed, per source.

6:03 AM - 12 Mar 2019

-------------------------------------

I'm not sure what position we we're/are targeting in the draft but if Schefter has Olivier Vernon as a backup/rotatioal depth DE then we can cross off DE, err unless Dorsey trades Ogbah but he's cheap and he is also coming off a high ankle sprain last year where he wasn't 100% so Emmanuel still has upside.

Myles and Ogunjobi had the highest snap counts in the league so depth is needed on the D-Line.  I doubt we'd use our 1st round pick on a DT who would be depth/part of rotation unless they really love some guy and he falls to the 17th pick.  Otherwise this draft is deeeeeeeeeeeep on the D-Line and we could easily pick up a bargain in the 2nd round.

I'm curious to see how they use Avery since he was second to Myles in applying pressure last year.  Wilks has gotta be happy.

Contract/signing details.

--------------------------------------

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Browns are giving former Vikings' DT Sheldon Richardson a three-year, $39 deal that includes $21.5 million guaranteed, per source.

6:03 AM - 12 Mar 2019

-------------------------------------

I'm not sure what position we we're/are targeting in the draft but if Schefter has Olivier Vernon as a backup/rotatioal depth DE then we can cross off DE, err unless Dorsey trades Ogbah but he's cheap and he is also coming off a high ankle sprain last year where he wasn't 100% so Emmanuel still has upside.

Myles and Ogunjobi had the highest snap counts in the league so depth is needed on the D-Line.  I doubt we'd use our 1st round pick on a DT who would be depth/part of rotation unless they really love some guy and he falls to the 17th pick.  Otherwise this draft is deeeeeeeeeeeep on the D-Line and we could easily pick up a bargain in the 2nd round.

I'm curious to see how they use Avery since he was second to Myles in applying pressure last year.  Wilks has gotta be happy.
None - good teams don't go into the draft with needs.  They go in looking to stock the cupboard and have options ready for the following year - see Corbett, Austin.

None - good teams don't go into the draft with needs.  They go in looking to stock the cupboard and have options ready for the following year - see Corbett, Austin.
Well. we cut Collins and Kirksey is coming off a bad and injury filled year.  We have a need at OLB.  Avery isn't really a three-down OLB option.  We may not have a legit starting OLB on the team right now.  We don't have a true #1 WR either, Landry is a great #2 but he's not a true #1.  I don't think #1 WR is pressing but we really need at least one solid starting OLB right now.

I don't think we are forced to take any position with our top pick but we don't have needs at DE or DT.  I think Dorsey will land at least one OLB before FA is done.  DT was a pressing need and we ranked 2nd worst in pass rush last year so schematically a proven pass rushing DE was a need before Olivier.  Just the opposite with surplus at OG.

Dangerous DL with Garrett, LarryO, Richardson, and Vernon.  Need some LBs to help beef up that front 7, but I like the look of what Dorsey is building.  Probably the best part is that he didn't fall into that bidding war and going overboard on FAs.  Richardson's 3 year contract is just fine, and doesn't break the bank.  

With that said, I think Hicks will cost a small fortune - but there aren't many other playmaking LBs like him out there right now, with Mosley going to NYJ.  I'd also like to see Roby come over to play opposite of Ward.  Those would be my main targets right now.

Not a big Tyrell Williams fan, and I think I'd rather go with a draftee rather than bring in Williams.  He played opposite of a true #1 WR and had a very good QB throwing him the ball - yet Williams didn't really produce.  I just don't think what he brings to the team will justify the money it will take to sign him.  Let someone else overpay.
Roby would not be the second best corner on this team and he probably wouldn't be the third either.

I like Williams and think he'd fit well here, but I highly doubt I'll like his price tag.

Well. we cut Collins and Kirksey is coming off a bad and injury filled year.  We have a need at OLB.  Avery isn't really a three-down OLB option.  We may not have a legit starting OLB on the team right now.  We don't have a true #1 WR either, Landry is a great #2 but he's not a true #1.  I don't think #1 WR is pressing but we really need at least one solid starting OLB right now.

I don't think we are forced to take any position with our top pick but we don't have needs at DE or DT.  I think Dorsey will land at least one OLB before FA is done.  DT was a pressing need and we ranked 2nd worst in pass rush last year so schematically a proven pass rushing DE was a need before Olivier.  Just the opposite with surplus at OG.
I agree with the bolded and it needed addressed now, so we didn't put ourselves in a position to square peg and round hole those positions in the draft.  The current OLB and WR groups are not optimal, but if you're going into a season playing from behind at a position on one side of the ball those are not bad places to be weak - unlike DT and DE.  I don't think he has to address either position aggressively.  I expect options to be explored, but if it ends up being wave two I don't think it's a five alarm emergency whereas I would have if it were DE or DT..

Former Vikings’ DT Sheldon Richardson intends to sign a three-year deal with the Cleveland Browns when free agency opens Wednesday, a source tells ESPN.

Cleveland’s opening-day front four now expected to be DE Myles Garrett, DT Larry Ogunjobi, Richardson and DE Emmanuel Ogbah.

KABOOOOOOM + VERNON
That's a scary front four.

I agree with the bolded and it needed addressed now, so we didn't put ourselves in a position to square peg and round hole those positions in the draft.  The current OLB and WR groups are not optimal, but if you're going into a season playing from behind at a position on one side of the ball those are not bad places to be weak - unlike DT and DE.  I don't think he has to address either position aggressively.  I expect options to be explored, but if it ends up being wave two I don't think it's a five alarm emergency whereas I would have if it were DE or DT..
I don't think we have to use our top pick but I think we have a glaring hole at OLB and Dorsey will address it before the draft and it would not surprise me if we overpay a bit.  Not sure if that is what you mean by aggressive or not but the top pick is wide open IMHO.  We're sitting on a pile of cash and have a need at OLB, just makes sense that Dorsey will address it.

I don't think we have to use our top pick but I think we have a glaring hole at OLB and Dorsey will address it before the draft and it would not surprise me if we overpay a bit.  Not sure if that is what you mean by aggressive or not but the top pick is wide open IMHO.  We're sitting on a pile of cash and have a need at OLB, just makes sense that Dorsey will address it.
I don't think we're going to give out any contract that we can't get out of in 2 years when the young core needs to start getting paid.  The AAV may be high, but only for a year or two.  That's what I was getting at.  But given what's available I also wouldn't be surprised if he stays cheap and maximizes the rollover.  Or pursues a LB/safety hybrid like Bucannon or Addae.

I don't think we're going to give out any contract that we can't get out of in 2 years when the young core needs to start getting paid.  The AAV may be high, but only for a year or two.  That's what I was getting at.  But given what's available I also wouldn't be surprised if he stays cheap and maximizes the rollover.  Or pursues a LB/safety hybrid like Bucannon or Addae.
I have no idea what Wilks is looking for and how the defense is going to change from Greg Williams where it was all about pressure with highest number of blitzes run in the league.  If we had signed Bowles I would think DB/OLB hybrid but not sure about what Wilks wants/needs to run his D.

Roby would not be the second best corner on this team and he probably wouldn't be the third either.
I think you're discounting his play based on a single bad year.  Roby was trending up in Denver until last year where he fell off a cliff.  He was an impact player in that Denver Defense and played at a high level.  He may be better than what you think.  PFF has him rated as the 6th best FA CB right now, behind Steve Nelson, Bryce Callahan, Kareem Jackson, Jason McCourty and Ronald Darby.  I think a lot of money will be thrown at Darby, with him signing some ridiculous contract ala Mosley.  I would think that Roby could be had for cheap due to his down year and could step right into the mix with Mitchell.  Nelson is another I wouldn't mind seeing Dorsey go after.  They need another CB and part ways with Currie and/or Gaines - IMO.

I think you're discounting his play based on a single bad year.  Roby was trending up in Denver until last year where he fell off a cliff.  He was an impact player in that Denver Defense and played at a high level.  He may be better than what you think.  PFF has him rated as the 6th best FA CB right now, behind Steve Nelson, Bryce Callahan, Kareem Jackson, Jason McCourty and Ronald Darby.  I think a lot of money will be thrown at Darby, with him signing some ridiculous contract ala Mosley.  I would think that Roby could be had for cheap due to his down year and could step right into the mix with Mitchell.  Nelson is another I wouldn't mind seeing Dorsey go after.  They need another CB and part ways with Currie and/or Gaines - IMO.
I don't think he's ever been any good.  He has the raw tools to play the position, but he's never consistently translated it to the field.  He runs hot and cold game-to-game and that's how it's been his whole career, dating back to college.  I think expecting that to change now would be silly.  If he were brought in as depth then whatever but that isn't going to happen.  In the CB world demand > supply.  Someone will pay him to start and I sure hope it isn't here.

In the CB world demand > supply.
I see where you're coming from, just differing perspectives.  Completely agree with the quoted remark.  Teams need solid depth at CB, going at least 3 deep.  Mitchell proved he could play when healthy last year, and did very well opposite Ward.  I think Roby would compliment Ward/Mitchell very well -  better than Currie or Gaines could last year.  Altho, I do like Steven Nelson as well.  Either way, we need to bolster the DB area.

Hearing that there may be another deal in the works for today - potentially in the Defensive Front 7.  No names are being spoken, but hoping for a young, disruptive type of LB.  Could also consider someone like Clay Matthews on a short-term/1 yr type deal to help groom the younger LBs (like Avery).  Thomas Davis is another, if only to help get the defense up to speed with the new scheme.  Wouldn't mind either one, as long as we have a younger guy signed along with them, like Hicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we're going to give out any contract that we can't get out of in 2 years when the young core needs to start getting paid.  The AAV may be high, but only for a year or two.  That's what I was getting at.  But given what's available I also wouldn't be surprised if he stays cheap and maximizes the rollover.  
Pretty sure this is spot on and IMO the exact way to go.  Mine the FA value, maybe spike a couple big/short contracts, nothing long term that effects signing anyone from Schobert to Baker to whoever, and build depth in the draft with forward vision regarding the last point.  

Pretty sure this is spot on and IMO the exact way to go.  Mine the FA value, maybe spike a couple big/short contracts, nothing long term that effects signing anyone from Schobert to Baker to whoever, and build depth in the draft with forward vision regarding the last point.  
Right.  I also think Dorsey has a budget by position & he's remaking the team to fit.

Via @JosinaAnderson on NFL LIVE: there is an AFC North team that as recently as today continues to inquire on Odell Beckham, Jr.'s availability and discussions have remained ongoing.

Via @JosinaAnderson on NFL LIVE: there is an AFC North team that as recently as today continues to inquire on Odell Beckham, Jr.'s availability and discussions have remained ongoing.
I love the fact that this rumor just won't die.  Dorsey has been playing it close to the vest and has not gone chasing over-priced FAs.  He's aware of the upcoming contracts needed to retain some key players, and thus far managed the cap well with the FO.  I'd like to see the LB hole get filled, but I'll take a star WR over Tyrell Williams any day.

For reference sake on Available Cap space...

Cleveland: $69m

Cincinnati: $42m 

Baltimore: $31m

Pittsburgh: $16m

With Baltimore losing many defensive, and now a few offensive pieces, I don't see them having the room or $$ to spend on a luxury piece like OBJ.  Living in CIN, I know that they have many other problems at hand right now, and going after OBJ would only complicate matters.  The local station here just spoke today to a rumor that they are offering Chad Johnson a 1 yr deal to help their WR situation.  Add in the fact that they spent a lot of $$ on a very bad OT, and the place reeks of cap mis-management. PITT needs to fill the hole left by AB, but I don't see them running for OBJ, or having the cap space to pay him.

If it were me, I'm not sure there is too high a price to pay for a talent like OBJ.  I'd be willing to give them 2019 #17 and 2020 #25 (or so) for OBJ.  Dorsey is good at finding talent late in the draft, so why not go for it now?  They have the cap to restructure the deal, if need be.  They have the support system to help keep him in line.  It just makes sense.

Dorsey is getting good feedback on the Richardson FA signing.

------------------------

Barnwell's 2019 NFL free-agency and trade grades: Tracking every big signing and move

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Cleveland Browns

The deal: Three years, $39 million with $21.5 million guaranteed
Grade: B+

When I previewed the Browns' offseason last month, two of my five moves were to upgrade the defensive line by adding an edge rusher and an interior disruptor to complement Myles Garrett and Larry Ogunjobi...

...This is a huge upgrade ...

...Richardson is a very good interior pass-rusher, if not a top-tier option like Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald.

There's too much talent involved here to really dislike this move much....

.... This is realistically a two-year deal, so the Browns don't even have significant exposure if things go south.
https://twitter.com/BrandonThornNFL/status/1105450257528377345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1105450257528377345&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbrownswire.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F03%2F12%2Freaction-browns-sheldon-richardson-free-agency%2F

Brandon Thorn‏ @BrandonThornNFL

Browns fans, you just signed someone who I have seen as elite the last 2 seasons in Sheldon Richardson. My write-up on him from 2017 highlighting the ways he wins (applicable today):

5:47 AM - 12 Mar 2019

Well crap, I have no idea how to plan my draft week.  I generally plan for thursday at 8pm to be eventful.  Now?  Well, shucks.  Thanks Dorsey ya jerk, now I won't have a draft party to look forward to. 

will OBJ have his head on straight?

is a diva WR good for a young QB’s development??

will Mayfield and Beckham break the single season combo record for TDs???

Congrats. Dorsey is a wizard.
It's really not as hard to build a team in the NFL as it seems.  You just gotta take your lumps for a few years.

Sashi deserves the credit.  If he hadn't stacked the cupboard so welll they wouldn't have had the ability to make this deal without feeling it.

It's really not as hard to build a team in the NFL as it seems.  You just gotta take your lumps for a few years.

Sashi deserves the credit.  If he hadn't stacked the cupboard so welll they wouldn't have had the ability to make this deal without feeling it.
As a Jets fan, do you mean 50 years as a few? Sigh. At least Dorsey did it for Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread