What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Dry Dog Food (2 Viewers)

http://www.naturesvariety.com/

We have gone with this brand for a few years and have been happy. They have a lot of choices as far as grain free or raw diet. And not too expensive either, can usually find coupons online or local.
NV is produced by Menu Foods. Menu has had a history of recalls for bad products. Menu also outsources the recipe to many packing plants reducing control over the final product.

Thanks for all of the info. We are going to go with Taste of the Wild. We often give our dogs raw food as a treat (our new vet suggested feeding raw but we do not have the fridge space for it yet) and this food seems to be as close to that as we can get. I also love it because its sold at several of the no chain pet stores in our area. :bag:
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond. Again a decent food but there are better options. Diamond had had many issues.When you research food you will see that many products are made by the same packers with different names. It is tough on the public to figure out who makes what.

The key is to find companies that produce their own food at their own packing plants.

Thanks for all of the info. We are going to go with Taste of the Wild. We often give our dogs raw food as a treat (our new vet suggested feeding raw but we do not have the fridge space for it yet) and this food seems to be as close to that as we can get. I also love it because its sold at several of the no chain pet stores in our area. :lmao:
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond. Again a decent food but there are better options. Diamond had had many issues.When you research food you will see that many products are made by the same packers with different names. It is tough on the public to figure out who makes what.

The key is to find companies that produce their own food at their own packing plants.
Given the ingredient list, I think it's a tad disingenuous to call TOTW "decent". Decent is average, and TOTW is not close to average. The Diamond issues were with aflatoxin, a grain based contaminant. No grain, no risk of aflatoxin. Plus the TOTW is made at a different plant than the plants where grain based foods are made. I know a lot of animal food nuts, and none of them have objected to TOTW, and none would classify it as an average dog food.

Thanks for all of the info. We are going to go with Taste of the Wild. We often give our dogs raw food as a treat (our new vet suggested feeding raw but we do not have the fridge space for it yet) and this food seems to be as close to that as we can get. I also love it because its sold at several of the no chain pet stores in our area. :thumbup:

Given the ingredient list, I think it's a tad disingenuous to call TOTW "decent". Decent is average, and TOTW is not close to average. The Diamond issues were with aflatoxin, a grain based contaminant. No grain, no risk of aflatoxin. Plus the TOTW is made at a different plant than the plants where grain based foods are made. I know a lot of animal food nuts, and none of them have objected to TOTW, and none would classify it as an average dog food.
Do you have a dog in this fight? :pickle:

A few people including myself say that use iams. No one has said anything negative about it

Is this a solid choice?

Thanks for all of the info. We are going to go with Taste of the Wild. We often give our dogs raw food as a treat (our new vet suggested feeding raw but we do not have the fridge space for it yet) and this food seems to be as close to that as we can get. I also love it because its sold at several of the no chain pet stores in our area. :thumbup:

Do you have a dog in this fight? ;)
Nope. No interest, financial or otherwise. I just went through all of this last year when we were deciding on a dog food for our two and I was stunned at the crap that's in most foods. I figured I'd be feeding them Iams or Science Diet until I looked at the ingredient list as saw they weren't much better than Purina, both having by-product and corn meal in the top 5 ingredients. Our local pet store owner is a nutrition fanatic, and he carries only two or three dry foods along with several raw. The dry foods he carries are Canidae, TOTW, and something else, as he said they were among the top half dozen dry dog foods available while still being a price people would purchase. Since then I look at ingredient lists every time I hear of a new food, and I haven't found many that are as good as TOTW.

Nope. No interest, financial or otherwise. I just went through all of this last year when we were deciding on a dog food for our two and I was stunned at the crap that's in most foods. I figured I'd be feeding them Iams or Science Diet until I looked at the ingredient list as saw they weren't much better than Purina, both having by-product and corn meal in the top 5 ingredients. Our local pet store owner is a nutrition fanatic, and he carries only two or three dry foods along with several raw. The dry foods he carries are Canidae, TOTW, and something else, as he said they were among the top half dozen dry dog foods available while still being a price people would purchase. Since then I look at ingredient lists every time I hear of a new food, and I haven't found many that are as good as TOTW.
hi genedoc,we pay $40 for a 30# bag of innova.what does the totw cost?

A few people including myself say that use iams. No one has said anything negative about itIs this a solid choice?
It's better than Purina, but not much. Here's the ingredient list for Iams Healthy Naturals Lamb & Rice:
Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Monosodium Phosphate, Salt, Flax Meal, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Apple Pomace, Dried Carrots, Choline Chloride, Dried Peas, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomatoes, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Citric Acid, Rosemary Extract.
Look at the top 5 ingredients. Lamb meal is good. Lamb would be better, but lamb meal is a solid #1 ingredient. Brewer's Rice, Corn Meal, Sorghum, and Chicken Meal by product? Yikes. All grains and dreck. Either would be a deal breaker for me. Both, and it's really not impressive. Here's the top 5 of a very good dog food. I'll use Orijen just so it doesn't appear I'm a Taste of the Wild shill.
Fresh deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh deboned pacific salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal, sweet potato, peas, fresh deboned lake whitefish, fresh deboned northern walleye, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), chicken liver, salmon meal, fresh deboned turkey, fresh whole eggs, fresh deboned herring, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, chicory root, dehydrated organic kelp, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, saskatoon berries, black currants, choline chloride, psyllium, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, sea salt, vitamin supplements (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12), mineral supplements (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
1-5 are chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, potatoes, and salmon. You'd be hard pressed to find a better top 5 ingredients list.

when my old German Shepherd was diagnosed with a bowel disorder we were told to get this really expensive prescription dog food. we just couldn't afford it, so looked for the best single protein food on the market. We ended up with Natural Balance and it really worked well for her. It's just a great brand.

Our new German Shepherd is on their regular ultra premium and our two cats on their feline line. It's just been a great experience and all the animals look great with tons of energy.

Don't remember exactly, but I think it's pretty comparable to this. Maybe a touch more, maybe a touch less, but very comparable.

we have been using Fromm Adult Gold (we used the puppy mix when he was a puppy) for a while now and we love it.

I think it should be noted that you shouldn't judge a dry food by it's price. I first started with Eukanuka for my lab pup, primarily because it was one of the higher priced foods at Petsmart, but I read and heard a lot of bad things about it. I switched to Bil-Jac after reading good reviews and my dog loves it, but I'm looking for something new as well. I've often times considered switching to an Innova product but I've read conflicting reports on the long term effects of such a high protein content.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was with a comapny that did a tour of the Breeders Choice Pet Food plant in California.

This is why I am so high on Breeders Choice. The plant was spotless..cleaner than some of the places I have seen human food made at. Plus being a small company I had a chance to meet the president of a few of the workers. They all have one goal. To produce the best dog and cat food possible. Plus the biggest selling point to me that unlike other bigger dog food companies Breeders Choice make "all" of their own food with human grade products. This is not a mass produced product.

Don't remember exactly, but I think it's pretty comparable to this. Maybe a touch more, maybe a touch less, but very comparable.
thanks.

I was with a comapny that did a tour of the Breeders Choice Pet Food plant in California.

This is why I am so high on Breeders Choice. The plant was spotless..cleaner than some of the places I have seen human food made at. Plus being a small company I had a chance to meet the president of a few of the workers. They all have one goal. To produce the best dog and cat food possible. Plus the biggest selling point to me that unlike other bigger dog food companies Breeders Choice make "all" of their own food with human grade products. This is not a mass produced product.
hey dg,same question about price.

we pay 40 for a 30# of innova.

Blue Buffalo is another quality product.
Really? This surprises me a little. Here was my reply before I saw yours:
Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rye....

Ingredients one and two are encouraging, but 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7...grain, grain, grain, fat, grain. Not terribly impressive. I'm not completely anti-grain, but I don't think grains should be the majority of the top ingredients, and I'm really not impressed with grain/fat being 5 of the top 7.

Depending on where you shop Pinnacle is a little more expensive. You are looking a 40-44 for Chicken and Oats. 44-48 for Trout and Sweet Potato, 48-55 on the Duck formula. Those ducks are hard to catch!!All for the 30lb bag. I think it comes in 7.5 as well, but I have two Labs so I always buy the 30lb.

Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rye....

Ingredients one and two are encouraging, but 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7...grain, grain, grain, fat, grain. Not terribly impressive. I'm not completely anti-grain, but I don't think grains should be the majority of the top ingredients, and I'm really not impressed with grain/fat being 5 of the top 7.
The key is "no corn, soy or wheat" Those are known allergins to dogs. Oats, Flax, barley and brown rice are healthy additions..plus many dogs on grain free products have been known to get constipated. Dogs also need fat in their diets.

Depending on where you shop Pinnacle is a little more expensive. You are looking a 40-44 for Chicken and Oats. 44-48 for Trout and Sweet Potato, 48-55 on the Duck formula. Those ducks are hard to catch!!All for the 30lb bag. I think it comes in 7.5 as well, but I have two Labs so I always buy the 30lb.
thanks dg,we have 4 so it does get pricey to give the best, but they are worth it.

Depends on what the needs of the dog are but in general the best mass market available foods would be Wellness and Natural Balance.

Fat is important to a dog. Unlike humans, dogs get most of their energy through fat and not through carbs.ETA: Also, unless there are allergy issues, the grains are helpful. Oatmeal, for instance, is widely used for healthy skin and coats for dogs. However, the #1 allergy issue for dogs are grains.

Depends on what the needs of the dog are but in general the best mass market available foods would be Wellness and Natural Balance.
Wellness was bought out recently. My sister best friend is a pet food industry watchdog. I get all the good and bad info from her.

Wellness was bought out recently. My sister best friend is a pet food industry watchdog. I get all the good and bad info from her.
Old Mother Hubbard was bought? Or are you talking about Old Mother Hubbard bought Wellness? I do not think the food had changed at all and that is what matters. For the food that is widely available, Wellness is highly respected.

The key is "no corn, soy or wheat" Those are known allergins to dogs. Oats, Flax, barley and brown rice are healthy additions..plus many dogs on grain free products have been known to get constipated. Dogs also need fat in their diets.
Thanks. We've had no problems with grain free diet, though I'm sure some dogs do. Also, I agree dogs need fat, I'm just at all impressed with chicken fat as an ingredient, especially a top 5-10 ingredient. When poultry fat is listed as an ingredient, it can come from a rendered or extruded product and it can include dead, diseased, disabled, or dying animals. The fat should come from the meat sources.

Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rye....Ingredients one and two are encouraging, but 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7...grain, grain, grain, fat, grain. Not terribly impressive. I'm not completely anti-grain, but I don't think grains should be the majority of the top ingredients, and I'm really not impressed with grain/fat being 5 of the top 7.
Thanks. We've had no problems with grain free diet, though I'm sure some dogs do. Also, I agree dogs need fat, I'm just at all impressed with chicken fat as an ingredient, especially a top 5-10 ingredient. When poultry fat is listed as an ingredient, it can come from a rendered or extruded product and it can include dead, diseased, disabled, or dying animals. The fat should come from the meat sources.
While I think a grain-free diet isn't the best, it's definitely a better choice than a lot. I just know that such high protein levels can cause serious kidney/liver issues, long-term, in a lot of dogs.Also, a big :wub: to the community here. I'm quite surprised how knowledgeable some here are about their dog food. And here I thought I was alone when it came to being so protective of what Asher eats :thumbup: :confused:

While I think a grain-free diet isn't the best, it's definitely a better choice than a lot. I just know that such high protein levels can cause serious kidney/liver issues, long-term, in a lot of dogs.Also, a big :lmao: to the community here. I'm quite surprised how knowledgeable some here are about their dog food. And here I thought I was alone when it came to being so protective of what Asher eats :) :thumbup:
Grain free isn't necessarily "high" protein. For instance, Taste of the Wild Bison/Venison formula is 32% protein, 18% fat, which means it's 50% carbohydrate, but not grain. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are the primary carbohydrate source and both top 10 ingredients. Carbs and fiber also come from fruits and berries included in the food. Similarly, Orijen adult formula is 40.0% protein, 16.0% fat and the primary carb sources are again potatoes and sweet potatoes. And if you're really interested, Orijen has a white paper that pretty aggressively assaults the notion that higher protein levels in dog food leads to health issues.

While SD isn't the worst food out there, reading thru the ingredients and it's pretty horrible.

Ingredient list: Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Dried Chicken Cartilage, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E

3 of the first 4 ingredients are things that are either bad for your dog (Corn, Soy) or in the case of Animal Fat, can be from diseased animals. Unless it specifies which animal the fat came from, it's the lowest grade possible.

Not preaching, just trying to inform y'all. It's your pet, do as you see fit! :goodposting:
Well now, that is quite interstng. To be honest, I never fully read the ingredients. My vet reccomended the food to us when we first got our dog as a puppy. I just figured it was a good diet for him. I will need to look at this more closely. Any reccomondations for a 10 year old lab. He has done well with the SD thus far.
Vets have a contract with SD, ignore them. SD is subpar at best. The only way to know if you are buying good food is to read the ingredients.

While I think a grain-free diet isn't the best, it's definitely a better choice than a lot. I just know that such high protein levels can cause serious kidney/liver issues, long-term, in a lot of dogs.Also, a big :( to the community here. I'm quite surprised how knowledgeable some here are about their dog food. And here I thought I was alone when it came to being so protective of what Asher eats :) :shrug:
Grain free isn't necessarily "high" protein. For instance, Taste of the Wild Bison/Venison formula is 32% protein, 18% fat, which means it's 50% carbohydrate, but not grain. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are the primary carbohydrate source and both top 10 ingredients. Carbs and fiber also come from fruits and berries included in the food. Similarly, Orijen adult formula is 40.0% protein, 16.0% fat and the primary carb sources are again potatoes and sweet potatoes. And if you're really interested, Orijen has a white paper that pretty aggressively assaults the notion that higher protein levels in dog food leads to health issues.
Well then...I learned something new today. Thanks for the info and link! :thumbup: The two best things dog (and cat for that matter) owners can do are:

1) Read and educate yourself on what is good to feed your pets

2) Find a local retailer who you are comfortable w/ and will take the time to help you make an informed choice.

... from the looks of this thread, if it's sold in a grocery store, it must be kee-rap.

Also, looks like you can basically shop by price. Pick 20 brands at random, take the most expensive one, and that will be the best one.

... from the looks of this thread, if it's sold in a grocery store, it must be kee-rap.Also, looks like you can basically shop by price. Pick 20 brands at random, take the most expensive one, and that will be the best one.
For the most part, this is true, but not always.California Natural is quite a bit cheaper then Orijen, but is a quality product. Just sayin'....

slight hijack...

i have a 2 yr old 65# boxer with allergy issues... itching ears and biting feet since early last summert. he's been on iams since he was a pup. i switched his food to Natures Recipe Fish and Potato last week and i guess it'll be a while before i see any benefits, if any. and after reading this thread, i went back to the bag and saw that although it's a change in protein, it still has grain - oatmeal and pearl barley - which, apparently, can be an issue with allergies.

i've read some positive reviews for TOTW involving dogs with allergies. anyone have any experience with dogs w/ allergies and switching to TOTW or any other dry dog food? not sure my switch to Nature's Recipe (petsmart) is good enough.

Turns out that I've actually been feeding my Lab, Hills Prescription Diet, W/D formula. He loves it, moswt of the time. Any thoughts from the pet food fanatics?

slight hijack...

i have a 2 yr old 65# boxer with allergy issues... itching ears and biting feet since early last summert. he's been on iams since he was a pup. i switched his food to Natures Recipe Fish and Potato last week and i guess it'll be a while before i see any benefits, if any. and after reading this thread, i went back to the bag and saw that although it's a change in protein, it still has grain - oatmeal and pearl barley - which, apparently, can be an issue with allergies.

i've read some positive reviews for TOTW involving dogs with allergies. anyone have any experience with dogs w/ allergies and switching to TOTW or any other dry dog food? not sure my switch to Nature's Recipe (petsmart) is good enough.
my chocolate lab had exact problems with itching, etc. she gets 1/2 TOTW and 1/2 avoderm. took a month or so but she hardly ever itches. noticeable improvement in all 6 dogs since we ditched purina.

Old Mother Hubbard was bought? Or are you talking about Old Mother Hubbard bought Wellness? I do not think the food had changed at all and that is what matters. For the food that is widely available, Wellness is highly respected.
Wellness was not bought out recently. Old Mother Hubbard merged with Eagle Pack and is now called WellPet. Old Mother Hubbard operates Eagle Pack now. The Wellness food has not changed and will not change. Also, Purina is not a bad pet food. Purina has always made good products and still does. Is it premium food? They have some premium lines, but their regular lines are good. If a dog has food allergies of course they will switch to another brand that doesn't include what the dog is allergic to. There aren't enough studies yet to determine if holistic pet food is more beneficial than regular pet food with a pet without allergies. My dog ate purina his whole life and lived to be 20.

slight hijack...

The more common allergy amongst dogs is grains. After that is chicken and/or poultry. And then finally bringing up the rear is other (protein sources). Natural Balance is usually the go to brand for dogs with food allergies. Petsmart does not carry it (actually, Petsmart has a fairly limited premium brands as they carry) but Petco and independent stores do. You also need to be aware that food allergies are not always the problem.

I have read several comments about the price of the higher quality food. Actually, when you take into account that by weight most of the premium foods have much more nutritional than the less expensive foods and thus you should feed your dog less of it. When you take that in to account, the price is actually comparable to all but the cheapest of foods. Also, because the premium foods do not have fillers and other crap, you actually should see a decrease in the amount of poo your dog does (and for anyone having to clean up after your dog, that is always a good thing).

Science diet, iams, and any other crap that can be bought at a grocery store or wal-mart are all terrible. I spent some time a while back searching for the best stuff to feed my dog and I decided on Blue Buffalo. It is a little more expensive that some of the other stuff on the market, but it is worth it. My only regret is that I didn't find out about it sooner.

Look at the top 5 ingredients. Lamb meal is good. Lamb would be better,
i was told that lamb meal is better than lamb. Lamb would be guts/meat, while lamb meal was just meat. :lmao:

slight hijack...

my chocolate lab had exact problems with itching, etc. she gets 1/2 TOTW and 1/2 avoderm. took a month or so but she hardly ever itches. noticeable improvement in all 6 dogs since we ditched purina.
Try mixing the Avo-Derm with Pinnacle as well. Pinnacle is one of the top rated foods for dogs with allergy problems. Avo-derm is very good for skin and coat.

Users who are viewing this thread