What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Dry Dog Food (1 Viewer)

Any tips on how to get your puppy to stop eating and/or chewing his own poop (besides removing it from where he goes, obviously)?:heeatallthepoop:
There are a number of reasons why the dog may be doing this... they can range from the puppy is lacking nutrition to being trained to do so (what I mean by that is that a puppy that is being housebroken and has been chided for pooping in the house may misunderstand and think that he must get rid of the poop before the owner sees it). One way to break him of this is to give him some Coprophagia suppliments that you can get at any pet store. As long as the poop he is eating is his own, this stuff should work to break him from the habit. Basically it makes his poop... well.... unappetizing.... as funny as that sounds.

This is what we our feeding our Bulldog.

Good or Bad?

VF Complete Large Breed Puppy Formula:

Large breed puppies require special nutrients to nourish and maintain overall health for growth, energy, reproduction and longevity.

Ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Linoleic Acid), Beet Pulp, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Linoleic Acid), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flax Seed, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic, Dried Cheese, Chondroitin Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein

M I N I M U M 26.0%

Crude Fat

M I N I M U M 14.0%

Crude Fiber

M A X I M U M 3.06%

Moisture

M A X I M U M 10.0%

Omega-3 Fatty

M I N I M U M .74%

Omega-6 Fatty

M I N I M U M 3.94%

Chondroitin Sulfate

M I N I M U M 375 mg/kg

Glucosamine

M I N I M U M 450 mg/kg

This is what we our feeding our Bulldog.

Good or Bad?

VF Complete Large Breed Puppy Formula:

Large breed puppies require special nutrients to nourish and maintain overall health for growth, energy, reproduction and longevity.

Ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Linoleic Acid), Beet Pulp, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Linoleic Acid), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flax Seed, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic, Dried Cheese, Chondroitin Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein

M I N I M U M 26.0%

Crude Fat

M I N I M U M 14.0%

Crude Fiber

M A X I M U M 3.06%

Moisture

M A X I M U M 10.0%

Omega-3 Fatty

M I N I M U M .74%

Omega-6 Fatty

M I N I M U M 3.94%

Chondroitin Sulfate

M I N I M U M 375 mg/kg

Glucosamine

M I N I M U M 450 mg/kg
Special nutrients yes, but more importantly the proper ratios of those nutrients through the ingredients. Large breed formulas are usually created to control the growth stage. One of the best ways to do that is through calories . Fat contains more calories than protien, so most LB puppy formulas will have less fat than normal puppy foods, while not sacrificing protein.All in all that food looks really good. The beat pulp some people go either way on, its known to cause the waste and tear stain you see on the faces of lighter colored dogs.. so ive read, but id have no problem feeding that food to my large breed pup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genedoc said:
fasteddie_21 said:
joker said:
Thanks, guys - I'll check at my local store for some. What about those big bones I see at regular stores (Target, Fleet Farm, etc.) in the pet section? Are those the same as my local store (or if not the same, at least not harmful)?
The general rule is that if the bone is cooked or rawhide (also not good for dogs), don't buy it. I'd suggest hitting up your local pet store (non-big box) and talking to them about them.FWIW, we don't give Asher (our greyhound) bones. Instead we give him one of 3 things:

1) CET chews (that also have a dental coating to help w/ their teeth)

2) Bully sticks (basically, it's dried penis of either cows or buffalo's and dogs love them)

3) Buffalo trachea (yup, it's exactly what it is...and it's also a great source of glucosamine which is great for their joints)

Again, I'm not saying bones are bad, and if we switch to a raw feeding diet, he'll eat them, but we just don't give them to him ATM.
All good points, especially about asking at the local pet store where you're already buying TOTW. We avoid nylon, rawhide, and hooves. Bully sticks and trachea are both awesome. Our dogs love them, but even the big ones are no match for our bulldog. He'll plow through a bully stick like you or I would a hard peppermint. He's the one who gets buffalo bones. The lab/husky mix doesn't like to chew - she's ball obsessed.
Great info, thanks, and I'll be hitting the local store to have a chat. Will any of the above three items stand up to our crazy chewer? He tears through everything we give him pretty quickly, so something durable that will last more than a night or two would be greatly appreciated. If he doesn't have something to chew, he'll find something, and more often than not it's something I don't want a hole in (shoes, hats, even my wife's cellphone).PS - what's bad about rawhide, nylon, hooves, etc.? I'd like to become more edumacated, and didn't realize these were bad for him.

Genedoc said:
fasteddie_21 said:
joker said:
Thanks, guys - I'll check at my local store for some. What about those big bones I see at regular stores (Target, Fleet Farm, etc.) in the pet section? Are those the same as my local store (or if not the same, at least not harmful)?
The general rule is that if the bone is cooked or rawhide (also not good for dogs), don't buy it. I'd suggest hitting up your local pet store (non-big box) and talking to them about them.FWIW, we don't give Asher (our greyhound) bones. Instead we give him one of 3 things:

2) Bully sticks (basically, it's dried penis of either cows or buffalo's and dogs love them)

3) Buffalo trachea (yup, it's exactly what it is...and it's also a great source of glucosamine which is great for their joints)

Again, I'm not saying bones are bad, and if we switch to a raw feeding diet, he'll eat them, but we just don't give them to him ATM.
All good points, especially about asking at the local pet store where you're already buying TOTW. We avoid nylon, rawhide, and hooves. Bully sticks and trachea are both awesome. Our dogs love them, but even the big ones are no match for our bulldog. He'll plow through a bully stick like you or I would a hard peppermint. He's the one who gets buffalo bones. The lab/husky mix doesn't like to chew - she's ball obsessed.
Great info, thanks, and I'll be hitting the local store to have a chat. Will any of the above three items stand up to our crazy chewer? He tears through everything we give him pretty quickly, so something durable that will last more than a night or two would be greatly appreciated. If he doesn't have something to chew, he'll find something, and more often than not it's something I don't want a hole in (shoes, hats, even my wife's cellphone).PS - what's bad about rawhide, nylon, hooves, etc.? I'd like to become more edumacated, and didn't realize these were bad for him.
Depending on the size of the bully stick, those can last quite a while. A trachea he'll power thru pretty quickly, but I only give him one of those about 2 times a month.And not sure on the CET chews. They're rawhide-ish, so I'd think that would keep him occupied for awhile as well.

As for what's bad about rawhide (not familiar w/ the other two things) is that it also can puncture their insides and isn't digestable...iow, the way he swallows it is the way it passes thru, so if it splinters or has sharp edges, I would imagine that's going to hurt.

You're also going to encounter pig ears...people are mixed on these (disease and such), so we avoid them too. And as for treats in general, avoid corn and soy. Both are not good for dogs. If your dog isn't allergic to chicken, a fantastic treat is (at Petsmart and larger amounts at Sam's Club) the pure, dehydrated chicken strips. It's chicken and salt. The end. Asher loves'em. He also loves zucchini and cheese as well, but that's another thing :goodposting:

eta: Shiz, that food looks really solid. Good job!

Oh and I think I've mentioned this before, but if not...we also give Asher 2 fish oil capsules (the gel caps) a day. He loves them and sees them as a treat. It makes his coat extremely shiny and soft and helps w/ dandruff!

Genedoc said:
fasteddie_21 said:
joker said:

If he's a power chewer, I recommend the buffalo femurs I mentioned or some similar large, uncooked bone. Our bulldog laid some serious waste to trachea and bully sticks. The buffalo femurs last for months.

stopped by the local place on the way home and the guy was very helpful. he said a lot of the same things said here: read the ingredients

i bought some Wellness to try. he said if the dog didn't like it, i could bring it back and exchange for a different flavor/brand

great thread :unsure:

stopped by the local place on the way home and the guy was very helpful. he said a lot of the same things said here: read the ingredients

i bought some Wellness to try. he said if the dog didn't like it, i could bring it back and exchange for a different flavor/brand

great thread :bag:
:lmao:

now i can't believe i've been feeding this Science Diet crap to my cats. How can Vets push this? It's like going to the doctor and him recommending a diet of nothing but Big Macs and fries :goodposting:

now i can't believe i've been feeding this Science Diet crap to my cats. How can Vets push this? It's like going to the doctor and him recommending a diet of nothing but Big Macs and fries :thumbup:
They get it free. Pet nutrition is probably low on their list. And honestly, it's probably hard for them to keep up with everything.

Great thread. We have a Doberman and are in the process of switching from Merrick Before Grain Chicken to Acana Pacifica, hoping to get her past some issues with her skin and coat, which we are thinking may be related to allergies.

A local pet store we trust recommended Acana Pacifica, but I didn't see it mentioned here, so I thought I'd post to see if anyone else uses it.

We also sometimes mix in a small amount of wet food. When we do that it is grain free versions of Weruva or Merrick.

As for bones, we get them from the butcher at the local Fresh Market and freeze them. She loves them!

tomorrow we are bringing home our 8 week old Jack Russell Terrier pup. Is there any consensus on a good puppy food. Currently the puppy is eating Cesar puppy , a canned food .

I think I'm more worried about house breaking the pup than when my wife & I brought our kids home

tomorrow we are bringing home our 8 week old Jack Russell Terrier pup. Is there any consensus on a good puppy food. Currently the puppy is eating Cesar puppy , a canned food .I think I'm more worried about house breaking the pup than when my wife & I brought our kids home
Depends... if you have a local pet store near you then Taste of the Wild is pretty good. If you have a Petco around then Wellness is a good option. If you have a Petsmart around... if memory serves, their best option is Blue Buffalo.

Chadstroma said:
HellToupee said:
tomorrow we are bringing home our 8 week old Jack Russell Terrier pup. Is there any consensus on a good puppy food. Currently the puppy is eating Cesar puppy , a canned food .I think I'm more worried about house breaking the pup than when my wife & I brought our kids home
Depends... if you have a local pet store near you then Taste of the Wild is pretty good. If you have a Petco around then Wellness is a good option. If you have a Petsmart around... if memory serves, their best option is Blue Buffalo.
we have petsmart,petco & pet supplies plus.Girl working at PS+ suggested Wellness,Merrick or Blue Buffalo.Went with Wellness

we have petsmart,petco & pet supplies plus.Girl working at PS+ suggested Wellness,Merrick or Blue Buffalo.Went with Wellness
You really don't have any mom 'n pop pet/dog food stores in your area?

You really don't have any mom 'n pop pet/dog food stores in your area?
No , not that I know of at least. Are they prevalent in your area.

Blue Buffalo.
Blue Buffalo does not make their own food, they contract it out and have had a number of recalls the last few years. Look for companies that make their own food. This is the one reason I am so high on Breeders Choice.

Blue Buffalo.
Blue Buffalo does not make their own food, they contract it out and have had a number of recalls the last few years. Look for companies that make their own food. This is the one reason I am so high on Breeders Choice.
how do you know who makes their own or who just sends their own formula to a factory?Do you know if Wellness or Merrick make their own?

I thought Petsmart did not carry Wellness. That is a solid natural brand and if you can get it at Petsmart, you can also get it at Petco which makes it easy to get to.

I thought Petsmart did not carry Wellness. That is a solid natural brand and if you can get it at Petsmart, you can also get it at Petco which makes it easy to get to.
Petsmart didn't have it. Bought it at Pet Supplies PlusI've found prices to be best at PSP than PS and finally seemed the highest petco

Petsmart didn't have it. Bought it at Pet Supplies PlusI've found prices to be best at PSP than PS and finally seemed the highest petco
Oh, ok. Yea, Petco does tend to have the higher prices in general. That is pretty much because the company is a cash cow for the private equity firms that own it. But, to be fair, out of Petsmart and Petco, the only two national brands, Petco carries the better/higher quality stuff.

\But, to be fair, out of Petsmart and Petco, the only two national brands, Petco carries the better/higher quality stuff.
Thats interesting because around here I perceived petsmart as the better store. It looked like a better variety of stock, much cleaner and a better setup. But to be fair the petsmart stores are newer. the smaller pet supplies plus seemed to have almost every varierty

\But, to be fair, out of Petsmart and Petco, the only two national brands, Petco carries the better/higher quality stuff.
Thats interesting because around here I perceived petsmart as the better store. It looked like a better variety of stock, much cleaner and a better setup. But to be fair the petsmart stores are newer. the smaller pet supplies plus seemed to have almost every varierty
I am talking about what products in inventory from Petco vs Petsmart. Petco is run as a cash cow for the private equity firms that own it. Hence, they do not put a lot of investment into the stores. When it comes to food, Petco carries a much better and wider variety of the natural/super premium food than Petsmart does. Petsmart is much more competitive in pricing and it seems like they invest more into their stores as well. Pet Supplies Plus is MUCH smaller than either Petco or Petsmart. Petsmart is the leader by market share and has roughly double the share that Petco does. Both Petco and Petsmart have well over 1,000 stores nationally. Pet Supplies Plus has a few hundred. Also, I think that Pet Supplies Plus is a franchise run business while Petco is privately held by the equity firms and Petsmart is a public company. I am not that familiar with Pet Supplies Plus but I would not be surprised if they are far superior to either Petsmart or Petco.

A warning: After reading this thread, I decided to switch from Kirkland brand to Orijen, and bought Orijen Large Breed Puppy formula for my Bernese. It caused really bad diarrhea and irritated his bowels enough to cause blood in his stool. At first I didn't know if it was the food, so I switched him off of it for a few weeks until his insides healed. After that, I slowly mixed the Orijen back into his food and back came the diarrhea and blood.

Blue Buffalo.
how do you know who makes their own or who just sends their own formula to a factory?Do you know if Wellness or Merrick make their own?
Wellness was sold to EaglePak..Eaglepak does not have the best reputation in the business. The people who founded Wellness as a small holistic company are long gone and it is now more of a mass produced food. It is produced right along with Eaglepak.

Blue Buffalo.
Wellness was sold to EaglePak..Eaglepak does not have the best reputation in the business. The people who founded Wellness as a small holistic company are long gone and it is now more of a mass produced food. It is produced right along with Eaglepak.
Wellness was not sold to Eagle Pack. Old Mother Hubbard/Wellness merged with Eagle Pack, and is now called Wellpet. Wellness still manufactures their own food, and Eagle Pack still manufactures their own. Both have said no changes have been made or plan on being made to their products.

marshall88 said:
A warning: After reading this thread, I decided to switch from Kirkland brand to Orijen, and bought Orijen Large Breed Puppy formula for my Bernese. It caused really bad diarrhea and irritated his bowels enough to cause blood in his stool. At first I didn't know if it was the food, so I switched him off of it for a few weeks until his insides healed. After that, I slowly mixed the Orijen back into his food and back came the diarrhea and blood.
Do you feed your dog an other food than the kibble? Table scraps or anything?Orijen has been great for our dog, who had all kinds of problems with other foods, but we use the regular formula. When our dog does get a bout of the runs (which is usually after we give him something he shouldn't eat), our vets had us give him white rice and boiled chicken, and that always helps.

marshall88 said:
The diarrhea is not unheard of when switching food even if you slowly mix in the new food but the blood is worrisome. I have no idea why that would happen because of the food switch.

2 yr old Golden had been on nothing but Canidae All Life Stages and was doing great up until about 2 months ago. I guess they changes their formula and it has negatively effected alot of dogs on it. Well he went weeks without a hard stool, and a couple of times he didnt make it outside. Long story short, we switched him to Merrick a month ago and the hard stools came right back and he is loving it. So I will stick with Merrick. Went with them over Blue Buffalo because of the higher protein content in the basic meals.

marshall88 said:
Do you feed your dog an other food than the kibble? Table scraps or anything?Orijen has been great for our dog, who had all kinds of problems with other foods, but we use the regular formula. When our dog does get a bout of the runs (which is usually after we give him something he shouldn't eat), our vets had us give him white rice and boiled chicken, and that always helps.
Nope. He eats nothing but dry dog food. He's a pup, so he often chews on sticks, leaves, rocks and whatever else he can find outside. Switching to the ID brand food, and then to Natural Balance has got him back to hard stools. The Natural Balance has a mid-level amount of protein and it's a single protein food, so it's easier for a lot of dogs to process. I read several other websites where the Orijen brand caused diarrhea, but that probably happens with most brands.

I don't remember seeing it in here, but I thought I would mention it.

Merrick makes a product, "Whole Earth Farms" Brand, that seems to strike a great balance with quality and price.

Price-wise, it's actually cheaper than the more expensive of the "grocery store brands" (17.5 lb. bag is about $20). Far cheaper than garbage like "Science Diet" and about the same price as garbage like "Beneful".

It's not on par with the very best of the kibbles (TOTW, Blue, Merrick's other products, etc), but it's markedly better than grocery store stuff for the same price or less.

It can be a bit hard to find. I don't think Merrick sells any of their products at chain pet stores, so it's only available at local pet stores and now, online at petfooddirect.com.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/14005...lt-Dry-Dog-Food

Ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oat Meal, Pearled Barley, Ground Rice, Ground Millet, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E),Duck, Buffalo, White Fish, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Salmon Oil (a natural source of Omega-3, Docosahexaenoic Acid-DHA)*, Organic Alfalfa Sun-cured ground, Yeast Culture, Tomato Pomace Dried , Dried Egg, Organic Sunflower Seed Ground, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Blueberry Dried, Cranberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Cinnamon, Marigold Dried, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin, Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Co

anybody feed with evo here?
I don't, but I know they're a very high quality grain-free food made by Nutura (same folks that make California Natural & Innova). :thumbdown:
Just a heads up. Nutura was bought out and many pet stores are not endorsing their products anymore. We switched our greyhound, Asher, over to Prairie and he's loving it. His coat has never looked better!
First time I've come into this thread, because I know y'all are looking at higher end pet foods than I generally mess with! I just tried the Evo for my two cats when I saw it on sale--and they wouldn't touch it. I even tried mixing it in with what they're used to and they ate right around the Evo just cherry pickin the other stuff. That 'other stuff' is why I haven't joined in here--because from what I've heard on talk radio and such is that it's not so good. I often buy Purina products because way back when I first started feeding the critters that was supposed to be the name of the game. They're also real happy with Friskies, and since that's what goes on sale most often I'll get those and just switch around flavors for a little variety. All dry, no canned. They don't even go for scraps much and I don't think they eat the birds they catch (though I've had some that did).

For the dogs I'll switch flavors bag-to-bag as well, generally according to prices between Gravy Train, Kibbles & Bits, or a Purina product. The two I've got now really surprised me recently though--I bought the Harris Teeter store brand imitation Kibbles and they actually seem to like it best. Been through several bags now in rotation. Again--no canned food--but they'll eat just about any table scraps we throw out there. Once in awhile I'll set them up with rib bones as well.

I should mention that almost all of the animals I've had over the past 30 years have been strays or rescues--so they might not be as picky as many pets.

Several of them just moved in on me and took up residence, including the two cats I've got now. All of them are outside animals with room to run so they're not even interested in coming inside. Long as they're happy with the cheap stuff--I'm happy with it!

anybody feed with evo here?
I don't, but I know they're a very high quality grain-free food made by Nutura (same folks that make California Natural & Innova). :goodposting:
Just a heads up. Nutura was bought out and many pet stores are not endorsing their products anymore. We switched our greyhound, Asher, over to Prairie and he's loving it. His coat has never looked better!
First time I've come into this thread, because I know y'all are looking at higher end pet foods than I generally mess with! I just tried the Evo for my two cats when I saw it on sale--and they wouldn't touch it. I even tried mixing it in with what they're used to and they ate right around the Evo just cherry pickin the other stuff. That 'other stuff' is why I haven't joined in here--because from what I've heard on talk radio and such is that it's not so good. I often buy Purina products because way back when I first started feeding the critters that was supposed to be the name of the game. They're also real happy with Friskies, and since that's what goes on sale most often I'll get those and just switch around flavors for a little variety. All dry, no canned. They don't even go for scraps much and I don't think they eat the birds they catch (though I've had some that did).

For the dogs I'll switch flavors bag-to-bag as well, generally according to prices between Gravy Train, Kibbles & Bits, or a Purina product. The two I've got now really surprised me recently though--I bought the Harris Teeter store brand imitation Kibbles and they actually seem to like it best. Been through several bags now in rotation. Again--no canned food--but they'll eat just about any table scraps we throw out there. Once in awhile I'll set them up with rib bones as well.

I should mention that almost all of the animals I've had over the past 30 years have been strays or rescues--so they might not be as picky as many pets.

Several of them just moved in on me and took up residence, including the two cats I've got now. All of them are outside animals with room to run so they're not even interested in coming inside. Long as they're happy with the cheap stuff--I'm happy with it!
Feed your dogs what works for them (the 2 "best" and happiest dogs I know eat "Beneful" and "Science Diet"), but if you want to look for something that could be better, but is the same price, the "Whole Earth Farms" brand I mentioned earlier might be worth looking into.It's literally the same price as Kibbles & Bits, Purina products, etc, but the ingredients are very similar to what you'll find in the premium, often really expensive dog foods, like most of the one's mentioned in this thread.

It's ingredient list leads with 2 decent meats (Chicken Meal and Turkey Meal). It doesn't have any Corn, Soy, or Wheat. No by-products. It includes Duck, Buffalo, and White Fish, though probably too far down on the list to matter much. As far as I know, there isn't another product that has those qualities at that price.

I'm known to be fairly cheap, but I want to feed my dog decent food. I haven't found a better compromise than Whole Earth Farms.

I'm not a dog food snob by any means, but it might be worth checking out.

switched both the cat and dog over to Wellness

cat doesn't throw up near as much anymore :censored:

no noticeable difference with the dog, but he likes it a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread