What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Dry Dog Food (1 Viewer)

hi 3c's,

i am going to check that link out now.

found this per recomended by someone here:

merrick

yeah having 4 ourselves would love to find a great food and cut cust down a tad if possible.
Merrick is good. And going the Whole Earth Farms rather than the Merrick brand is less expensive route for the same quality.

Doggyloot

This site does not normally have food on it though I thought many of you would find it worthwhile as I have.

It is basically a Groupon for dogs. The deals range from pretty good to outstanding. They do a good job of offering varied things. I recently got a ridiculous amount of treats for my dog for $25 which included shipping (It was 36 bags that at the stores would retail $65).

Last edited by a moderator:
We feed my dog the Sam's Club brand of Dog Food (Simply Right), he has been having issues recently eating dinner, as in he's not very interested in eating. He's a chocolate lab who will turn 2 at the end of the month.After doing some quick research in this thread, I'm thinking we need to introduce a new pet food. TOTW and Orijen get good reviews, can those be purchased at PetSmart?TIA
No Petsmart does not carry them.
The PetSmart near me does carry both those brands. They expanded their selection of the more premium foods fairly recently...I'm not sure if that's at all PetSmarts or just some. If you have a Pet Supplies Plus nearby, they carry a lot of premium brands too.I've fed Linus (Welsh Terrier) a few things...Wellness Super5 Mix, Canidae, and Royal Canin. Royal Canin is definitely his favorite, and that's what he is eating now. Barney (previous Welsh Terrier) ate a variety of foods, but for the last several years of his life ate Purina One Senior formula. I tried switching him away from that a few times, but he always did the best on that food...go figure! (He lived to be almost 15)

Crap. We keep our dog on a steady rotation of some of the less expensive "good" foods. That rotation is TOTW, Canidae ALS, and Chicken Soup.

He was on Whole Earth Farms as a puppy, so we'll go back to that for a while until we figure out something else.

I think I'll try to find something from Petsmart. I much prefer it over the locally owned place, except for the food selection.

I think I'll give Simply Nourish a shot.

Similarly priced to Canidae and TOTW and gets similar marks at Dog Food Advisor.

We feed my dog the Sam's Club brand of Dog Food (Simply Right), he has been having issues recently eating dinner, as in he's not very interested in eating. He's a chocolate lab who will turn 2 at the end of the month.After doing some quick research in this thread, I'm thinking we need to introduce a new pet food. TOTW and Orijen get good reviews, can those be purchased at PetSmart?TIA
No Petsmart does not carry them.
The PetSmart near me does carry both those brands. They expanded their selection of the more premium foods fairly recently...I'm not sure if that's at all PetSmarts or just some. If you have a Pet Supplies Plus nearby, they carry a lot of premium brands too.I've fed Linus (Welsh Terrier) a few things...Wellness Super5 Mix, Canidae, and Royal Canin. Royal Canin is definitely his favorite, and that's what he is eating now. Barney (previous Welsh Terrier) ate a variety of foods, but for the last several years of his life ate Purina One Senior formula. I tried switching him away from that a few times, but he always did the best on that food...go figure! (He lived to be almost 15)
Oh wow. I knew they added Wellness not long ago but TOTW and Orijen must be very new. Them and Petco are in a race to get as many of the top shelf brands as possible. It was not long ago that Petco added Merrick and then another one (can't think of it right now).

The following is a list of all the brands currently associated with the Diamond Dog Food Recall:

■4Health

■Apex

■Canidae

■Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul

■Country Value

■Diamond

■Diamond Naturals

■Kirkland Signature

■Natural Balance

■Premium Edge

■Professional

■Taste of the Wild

■Wellness

Update:

Recently purchased Kirkland Signature Adult Dog Formula (Lamb) from CostCo; I double checked the serial # and it wasnt an item that was recalled (I live in Arizona, one of the areas NOT affected by the recall notice).

I noted before, that I was using Sam's Club brand Simply Right and he wasn't interested in eating his food. Well, this morning I gave him the Kirkland's brand food and he scarfed it down in a heartbeat. He was very happy.

Very glad I checked out this thread and made the switch. Thanks for the insight everyone :thumbup:

Update:

Recently purchased Kirkland Signature Adult Dog Formula (Lamb) from CostCo; I double checked the serial # and it wasnt an item that was recalled (I live in Arizona, one of the areas NOT affected by the recall notice).

I noted before, that I was using Sam's Club brand Simply Right and he wasn't interested in eating his food. Well, this morning I gave him the Kirkland's brand food and he scarfed it down in a heartbeat. He was very happy.

Very glad I checked out this thread and made the switch. Thanks for the insight everyone :thumbup:
At this point, no retailer should be selling any of the affected food.

I've got a 1.5 yo Labrador. I've tried everything over her first year. Eukanuba, TOTW, Nurtro's, California Natural, ProPlan.

ProPlan for sensitive stomach was the only that she handled relatively well. That first 6-8 months, she was on a blend of hamburger & rice more than any dog food.

I still wasn't comfortable with the ProPlan and finally switched to Earthborn Primitive Natural

Awesome food - dog loves it, coat is great, as little waste as I've ever seen from a lab. Not too overpriced either.

Not that anyone here is feeding this junk...

On Saturday, June 30, Mars Petcare announced the voluntary recall of some of its Pedigree canned dog food products due to a potential choking risk. Affected products may contain small pieces of blue plastic.

Switched over to Wells Pro Pac dry. Dogs seem to like it, I can get it at decent prices off Amazon (with free shipping), it's rated well on the review sites and it's not made at a Diamond facility.

I know this is better suited for a vet, but I'll ask here for any with similar experiences

I have a 12 week old puppy. I got her 3 weeks ago and all she has ever had has been loose stools. Maybe one or two normal ones thrown in there. I'm feeding her Orijen puppy food and have since the third day I got her. Which leads me to my other issue.

She doesn't seem to be eating enough. I give her half a cup three times a day and she never finishes it. I pick up the food 20 minutes after she eats and use it for the next meal. According to the bag she should be eating Close to 2 1/4 cups. She hardly gets in 1.5.

Anyone have anything similar

I know this is better suited for a vet, but I'll ask here for any with similar experiencesI have a 12 week old puppy. I got her 3 weeks ago and all she has ever had has been loose stools. Maybe one or two normal ones thrown in there. I'm feeding her Orijen puppy food and have since the third day I got her. Which leads me to my other issue. She doesn't seem to be eating enough. I give her half a cup three times a day and she never finishes it. I pick up the food 20 minutes after she eats and use it for the next meal. According to the bag she should be eating Close to 2 1/4 cups. She hardly gets in 1.5. Anyone have anything similar
Would definitely see a vet (bring a stool sample) to check for an intestinal parasite. Would also change foods. Might be that Orijen is too "rich" for her stomach. Maybe find out what she was on before you got her. I'm not a huge fan of Purina products but a puppy we took in back in March was on Purina so I put her on Purina one. She was a bit underweight then but she did well on it and is now filling out fine. Changed her over to Wells Pro Pac Large Puppy a bit ago. Probably about 90 lbs now at 8 months. Remember when changing to a new food to do it slowly/progressively.

I know this is better suited for a vet, but I'll ask here for any with similar experiencesI have a 12 week old puppy. I got her 3 weeks ago and all she has ever had has been loose stools. Maybe one or two normal ones thrown in there. I'm feeding her Orijen puppy food and have since the third day I got her. Which leads me to my other issue. She doesn't seem to be eating enough. I give her half a cup three times a day and she never finishes it. I pick up the food 20 minutes after she eats and use it for the next meal. According to the bag she should be eating Close to 2 1/4 cups. She hardly gets in 1.5. Anyone have anything similar
If her appetite is not at healthy levels then you need to take her to a vet.The Orijen may be too rich for her (I have had similar issues with my Goldendoodle and loose or soft stool on higher quality foods) so you may want to change the food as well in conjunction with seeing the vet.

If she is loose and it is constant there may be many reasons behind it, I would consult a vet. Sometimes it could be a result of stress or being nervous, it could be food related (alergies), or it could be parasite related. My dog when he was a puppy would get loose stool for no reason. I would give him boiled boneless chicken breast and white rice for dinner and after a couple days it would clear up. I would then have to slowly put him back on his kibble again. I feed mine taste of the wild salmon formula and he has never had a problem. It is grain free so food alergies is not an issue for him.

I went through at least 6 different foods with my lab pup. Went the vet route, and all checked out fine on a couple different visits. Started out with Eukenuba puppy, which was what the breeder had her on and went through all the top tier dog foods. Finally found one that worked - Purina Pro Plan - Sensitive Stomach formula. I know, it's Purina and not rated all that high, but it was the only food that provided a normal stool. Kept her on that for about 6 months and went back to the premium foods. She's currently on Earthborn Holistic. Fantastic food, no issues ever since. I think the food was just too rich as a puppy. Took her system a while to be able to handle the rich dog foods.

Yeah, Acer, the appetite thing is worth a trip to the vet, but it doesn't sound terribly alarming to me. It's not like she simply isn't eating, just not eating as much as the bag suggests. I'd imagine there's a number of reasons for that that don't point to her having a health issue.

Same for the loose stools. My dog had almost exclusively loose stools as a puppy, but that stopped. He's got a bit of an iron stomach now. I don't follow the advice of switching foods gradually and it doesn't phase him.

As 3C's said, a stool sample to the vet is a good idea, but I'd be surprised if it were anything to worry about.

Thanks everyone.

She did have tapeworm last week but that was taken care of and there have been no signs of any lingering parasites.

It's odd that the top rated dog food would cause problems but maybe switching it up will help some. I have a vet appointment for next Tuesday. Maybe I will try to switch back to the brand I was giving her before the orijen arrived and see if that changes anything.

In regards to the boiled chicken and rice> I would give that a try but I don't want her to be hooked on table food so that gives me some issues. Table food every once in a while is OK (according to what I have read). Thanks for the suggestion though.

This is really hard work. I can't imagine going thru this while not having the summer off.

Thanks again guys

Thanks everyone. She did have tapeworm last week but that was taken care of and there have been no signs of any lingering parasites. It's odd that the top rated dog food would cause problems but maybe switching it up will help some. I have a vet appointment for next Tuesday. Maybe I will try to switch back to the brand I was giving her before the orijen arrived and see if that changes anything. In regards to the boiled chicken and rice> I would give that a try but I don't want her to be hooked on table food so that gives me some issues. Table food every once in a while is OK (according to what I have read). Thanks for the suggestion though. This is really hard work. I can't imagine going thru this while not having the summer off. Thanks again guys
Plenty of people feed a "raw" diet, meaning they cook real food like chicken and rice, eggs etc. It's not really a bad thing. Not all that cheap either. Big thing about "table food" is the dog being at the table begging and the other stuff we put in our food like butter, cream, spices...

Thanks everyone. She did have tapeworm last week but that was taken care of and there have been no signs of any lingering parasites. It's odd that the top rated dog food would cause problems but maybe switching it up will help some. I have a vet appointment for next Tuesday. Maybe I will try to switch back to the brand I was giving her before the orijen arrived and see if that changes anything. In regards to the boiled chicken and rice> I would give that a try but I don't want her to be hooked on table food so that gives me some issues. Table food every once in a while is OK (according to what I have read). Thanks for the suggestion though. This is really hard work. I can't imagine going thru this while not having the summer off. Thanks again guys
If you are feeding her the chicken and rice in her bowl then you wont have the big problem that 'table food' causes which is the begging. Also, real table food is seasoned with stuff the dog does not need or can really mess up what he wants (since your chicken marsala tastes very different from any dog food) and you are more apt to get the finicky eating habits out of it. A route to go that is a good compromise and lessens the chances of your dog developing snobby eating habits is ditch the chicken and just add some white rice to the dog food. The white rice is what has the calming affect on the digestion and the chicken is added as a protein that is easier on the stomach. If you feed the dog food, then she is getting her protein she needs. Also, if you have any kids or spouse- check with them and make sure that they are not feeding her treats through the day. It has been known to happen, especially with kids and a new puppy, to get carried away giving treats and thus the pup is not hungry for regular food at meal time.

Plenty of people feed a "raw" diet, meaning they cook real food like chicken and rice, eggs etc. It's not really a bad thing. Not all that cheap either. Big thing about "table food" is the dog being at the table begging and the other stuff we put in our food like butter, cream, spices...
No, the "raw" diet is actually just that- raw meat/bone and uncooked veggies/fruit scraps. But fully agree otherwise.

'Chadstroma said:
'3C said:
'AcerFC said:
No, the "raw" diet is actually just that- raw meat/bone and uncooked veggies/fruit scraps. But fully agree otherwise.
Guess I'm mixing "raw" and "real" diets.

I switched back to the original food I was giving her when we got her. It's called Simply Nourish.

Here is one review I found.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/simply-nourish-dry/

Looks like its not bottom of the barrel but not great either. BUT she ate every last kibble of the half cup I gave her. :shrug:

She leaves the expensive food but likes the cheaper "worse" food. :sigh:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the rice and/or chicken if this doesn't help.

I switched back to the original food I was giving her when we got her. It's called Simply Nourish.

Here is one review I found.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/simply-nourish-dry/

Looks like its not bottom of the barrel but not great either. BUT she ate every last kibble of the half cup I gave her. :shrug:

She leaves the expensive food but likes the cheaper "worse" food. :sigh:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the rice and/or chicken if this doesn't help.
Simply Nourish seems like a nice food. Dog Food Advisor is a nice site and they rate it 4 (of 5 stars). The 5 star foods tend to be grain free or very close to it.I almost went to Simply Nourish when I decided to move away from TOTW and other Diamond products. I went a tad cheaper instead to start (Avoderm) and Omar seems to do well on it, so we've stuck with it.

As I suspected along with the new formula for Merrick came a big price increase. So it seems like a good time to try a switch, and Im down to Blue Buffalo or Innova. Leaning toward Blue Buffalo but any thoughts on either would be appreciated.

Barney (previous Welsh Terrier) ate a variety of foods, but for the last several years of his life ate Purina One Senior formula. I tried switching him away from that a few times, but he always did the best on that food...go figure! (He lived to be almost 15)
A good friend of mine fed her dog Purina One Senior Formula too, and her dog lived to be 21 (although I think he was ready to go at 20). He also ate hot dogs sometimes. The dog was some sort of terrier mix. I remember when she first took Nicholby (the dog) in. It was her first year teaching, and he was a mangy puppy that wondered into her classroom one day, and she took him to the vet and kept him. He was a sweet fella.

As I suspected along with the new formula for Merrick came a big price increase. So it seems like a good time to try a switch, and Im down to Blue Buffalo or Innova. Leaning toward Blue Buffalo but any thoughts on either would be appreciated.
I've had my dog on Innova for a few months now, and she likes it a lot. I had her on Wilderness, but it was too rich and causing insane diahrrea and light pancreatitis. I like Innova because the first ingredients are proteins, there are no controversial filler products (beets, brewers yeast, etc), and it still manages to not be as rich as some other top foods. She has been problem free since switching. She's a high energy Brittany.PSA to anyone switching food, make sure you do it gradually so you don't end up with poo spraying all over your favorite carpets or children. If the old food is causing big problems, and you need to switch right away, mix the new food in with rice for 10 days or so. Increase the amount of dry food gradually over that time. The rice will bind them up and help their system cope and adjust to the new kibble.ETA: a great site to get a breakdown of all of the dog foods out there is www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Good timing as I'm picking up our English chocolate lab puppy in 2 weeks. Picked him out yesterday - 6 weeks old. Awesome puppy, and his dad (named Diesel, and built like one) might be one of the best looking/healthiest dogs I've ever seen. Finally ready for a new dog after having to put down our beloved yellow lab Bailey Boy in June 2011 right before his 16th birthday.

Although Bailey lived a great life, and was pampered/loved beyond belief, I'm determined to be much more informed with his care. For the first half of his life he got a lot of table scraps (mostly steak, etc but not always). When he gained weight I backed off of giving him table scraps and he was much better. He ate Pedigree most of his life, which appears to be junk. His digestion wasn't always the best. So, I'm very interested in giving our new pup much better nutrition, better training, etc.

Great info here - much appreciated. I've got 2 weeks to decide which is the best food to start with our pup!

i've had good luck with BB since the recall got me off of Taste of the Wild. Best looking craps he's ever had :thumbup:

have use dinnova for years with good results.recently had to switch 1 of our dogs out to a food allergy, something not as rich, but highly recomend innova.

Was at the store the other day, and Innova has a new formula it just introduced this month. So be aware in case you see changes in your dog..

Well, we get our new pup on Sunday, and I've been all over the place. Ended up picking up all Blue Buffalo stuff, including puppy food, treats, etc fro Petsmart. OK, so I bought into the grain free argument. But, as much as I want my dog to have very good food, it gnawed at me having a Costco a hundred yards from the Petco knowing the value, if I could find something at least 4 stars, would be off the charts better at Costco. I mean, $52+ bucks for a 24 pound bag.........

So I went back to Costco. Looked at their Kirkland Signature stuff before seeing the Nature's Domain Grain Free Turkey and Salmon offerings. Read the reviews, saw the top 5 ingredients, and it's $27 for a 35 pound bag. OK, so Blue Buffalo may be better - but c'mon. I'm willing to spend more - but this seems to be a very good food at a great price. I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread