What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (5 Viewers)

Grabbed: 

MyQ Smart Garage Opener ($30). - Two buddies have it and love it. Auto close door at night, check if open or closed, open remotely for Friends dropping off / picking up stuff, 
This was stupid easy to install. Very simple step by step instructions in the app. 2 sided tape for sensor, drill two holes for the hub mount. 15 mins and its running. 

Love that it works with Amazon Key, and love the ability to schedule door closings after leaving for work and at night in case it’s left open. :thumbup:  

Killer value for $30 

Bob Sacamano said:
Wasn't cheaper.  Both were $199.

Meshforce didn't have nearly the same number of reviews, so I was curious. Never heard of it before.  
It was $159 for me. It was a Prime Day deal. Add in the 6% and it cost me $150.

It wasn’t in stock so I’ll get it early next week and I’ll try to remember to post how it works. I’m done with my Linksys. Great router but the Extenders seem to drop connections all the time. That’s why I want to try the mesh ones. 

Last edited by a moderator:
munga30 said:
You may help yourself by asking not "what machine should I get" but "what does this machine have to do?"  Everything my school asks of my daughter is internet based.  All the assignments, primers, rubrics, and answers are on websites and/or use web-based tools (eg google drive, google docs, google slides).  Chrome OS is lightweight so minimal hard drive (internal storage) needed.  A couple gig of ram should help it run youtube.   So my daughter's machine needed to connect to the internet (I have wifi in my house) and connect to a mouse (USB port).  A decent sized well-reviewed screen and well-reviewed keyboard are helpful.   If there's an extra USB port and she can plug in her phone, that's a bonus.  Printing can be dicey on chromebooks but my daughter never had a need for it.  

FWIW, running windows is expensive in both resources (RAM space and speed, hard drive space and speed) and dollars perspective.  IMO not worth it for an eighth grader's machine unless you know she aspires to doing a lot of video editing or gaming, in which case I'd think about desktop over a laptop.  Good luck.  
Looking into this now. What I am trying to avoid is buying a Chromebook now and then needing a laptop net year.

Doesn't seem like Chromebooks have the storage for Office and my older daughter always uses Microsoft products.

This was stupid easy to install. Very simple step by step instructions in the app. 2 sided tape for sensor, drill two holes for the hub mount. 15 mins and its running. 

Love that it works with Amazon Key, and love the ability to schedule door closings after leaving for work and at night in case it’s left open. :thumbup:  

Killer value for $30 
i just hung mine from the garage door opener bracket :)

Never thought about setting a schedule... 

Killer value for $30 
Can't wait to set this up.

Can't wait to set this up.
Spent 2 hours trying to get this to work.  Wouldn't connect to my opener, even though it says it should.  I must have tried 15 times to get it to connect.  Going to have to send it back... 

Ring Doorbell I bought is too wide to fit where current doorbell is, so I guess that will go back too.

Bummed.

Spent 2 hours trying to get this to work.  Wouldn't connect to my opener, even though it says it should.  I must have tried 15 times to get it to connect.  Going to have to send it back... 

Ring Doorbell I bought is too wide to fit where current doorbell is, so I guess that will go back too.

Bummed.
It was a run.

Bummed.
Damn really?! Mine connected instantly with my 15yo contractor grade linear opener.  Was it close enough to the unit (but at least a foot or two away)?  Mine was likely 12-15ft away in an adjacent room. 

Damn really?! Mine connected instantly with my 15yo contractor grade linear opener.  Was it close enough to the unit (but at least a foot or two away)?  Mine was likely 12-15ft away in an adjacent room. 
I tried it 10, 5 and right on top of it.  Said it couldn't connect, but I could use it to tell if the door is open or not but not remotely open or close, that's pretty much worthless.

Mine is a Genie I bought in 2000.  Should have worked.

I tried it 10, 5 and right on top of it.  Said it couldn't connect, but I could use it to tell if the door is open or not but not remotely open or close, that's pretty much worthless.

Mine is a Genie I bought in 2000.  Should have worked.
Try a factory reset?  

Looking into this now. What I am trying to avoid is buying a Chromebook now and then needing a laptop net year.

Doesn't seem like Chromebooks have the storage for Office and my older daughter always uses Microsoft products.
Probably goes without saying, but you can run Office 365 on a Chromebook.  My son (going into 9th grade) has pretty much switched over to google docs anyway, but he can access Office if needed. 

Killer value for $30 
We use ours often. Even a few times when we were away and my father needed to grab some tools out of the garage.  He just called us and we opened it remotely.  

Mannnn, the new Fire Stick 4K is badass!! I think it's faster then my Fire TV box even. And the remote having the power button, volume controls and even sound bar sync controls is :moneybag: I may get another when they go on sale again around Christmas. Highly recommend!
Been very happy with mine.  Also connected this one with it's power plug rather than the TVs USB plug - so maybe that has a bit to do with it?

Mannnn, the new Fire Stick 4K is badass!! I think it's faster then my Fire TV box even. And the remote having the power button, volume controls and even sound bar sync controls is :moneybag: I may get another when they go on sale again around Christmas. Highly recommend!
Kind of pissed about the new remote. I bought one of those remote attachments that worked but damn, I would have loved that. I wish they sold just the remote for people with the older Firesticks (got them on Black Friday, so not even a year ago). I really like them so I can’t complain too much but that would have been perfect.

ETA: One question, does it have a TV input control? That’s a must have since I still have Dish. I need to dump that. 

Kind of pissed about the new remote. I bought one of those remote attachments that worked but damn, I would have loved that. I wish they sold just the remote for people with the older Firesticks (got them on Black Friday, so not even a year ago). I really like them so I can’t complain too much but that would have been perfect. 
Yeah, I hadn't read about that, so it was a pleasant surprise. Don't even need my TV remote at all any more.  And interesting thought, I'm not sure if the new remote would work with the old unit or not. I can test it out one day if I plug the old stick into another TV. Will report back if I do. 

Yeah, I hadn't read about that, so it was a pleasant surprise. Don't even need my TV remote at all any more.  And interesting thought, I'm not sure if the new remote would work with the old unit or not. I can test it out one day if I plug the old stick into another TV. Will report back if I do. 
Thanks. I added a question. Does it allow you to change the input? I can do that with the cube by voice and it can also do volume by voice but I like it on the remote better. 

Never received SLing TV code after purchasing a few fire sticks through Prime Now on prime day. I called them last night about it and spent 2.5 hours with several CSRs :lmao:  (can't believe I did but the first CSR via chat was completely useless and frankly irritated me).

I had printed out the promotion and item description at time of purchase for whatever reason and over the last couple days encountered an endless amount of transfers/forwarding to XXX team to escalate. Wound up getting to keep the 3 Fire TV sticks for nothing plus a complete refund of my $100 purchase price of the transaction plus $45 credit for Prime Now to make up for the Sling credit not provided. :lol:  

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Never received SLing TV code after purchasing a few fire sticks through Prime Now on prime day. I called them last night about it and spent 2.5 hours with several CSRs :lmao:  (can't believe I did but the first CSR via chat was completely useless and frankly irritated me).

I had printed out the promotion and item description at time of purchase for whatever reason and over the last couple days encountered an endless amount of transfers/forwarding to XXX team to escalate. Wound up getting to keep the 3 Fire TV sticks for nothing plus a complete refund of my $100 purchase price of the transaction plus $45 credit for Prime Now to make up for the Sling credit not provided. :lol:  
I can probably send you the code if you want it. I have no plans on using mine.

PSA - many of you may already know/realize this, but I just discovered it today.  I've been sitting on a promotional gift card of $200 for some time.  Plan was to get an Amazon order up over $200 and use it, and then use my CC for the balance over $200.  I thought Amazon would be smart enough to accommodate.  And they are, sorta.  I made an order of about 10 things for my car (upkeep type stuff and specific tools) that totaled ~$230.  Put in the promotional gift card number for the purchase, and it seemed like it all went though. 

Not so fast.  My 10 items were split up into 4 separate orders from the actual sellers.  My gift card was hit each time for each of the four orders, and thus didn't have enough for the 4th order.  So now I have some odd amount remaining on the card that I'll have to figure out what to do with.

Anyway, after talking with them on the phone - I was told what I should have done and it makes total sense.  I should have purchased a $200 amazon gift card with my $200 promotional card.  First off, it will never expire.  Secondly, the system knows immediately how much is left on an Amazon gift card, so it would have only charged me the balance after the full $200 was tapped out.

Thought I'd share here to maybe save someone else the headache.

PSA - many of you may already know/realize this, but I just discovered it today.  I've been sitting on a promotional gift card of $200 for some time.  Plan was to get an Amazon order up over $200 and use it, and then use my CC for the balance over $200.  I thought Amazon would be smart enough to accommodate.  And they are, sorta.  I made an order of about 10 things for my car (upkeep type stuff and specific tools) that totaled ~$230.  Put in the promotional gift card number for the purchase, and it seemed like it all went though. 

Not so fast.  My 10 items were split up into 4 separate orders from the actual sellers.  My gift card was hit each time for each of the four orders, and thus didn't have enough for the 4th order.  So now I have some odd amount remaining on the card that I'll have to figure out what to do with.

Anyway, after talking with them on the phone - I was told what I should have done and it makes total sense.  I should have purchased a $200 amazon gift card with my $200 promotional card.  First off, it will never expire.  Secondly, the system knows immediately how much is left on an Amazon gift card, so it would have only charged me the balance after the full $200 was tapped out.

what is a promotional gift card?

You can still add whatever balance is on the promotional card to your Amazon account (I think the term they use is "reload" your account; I can track down how to do it if you need it).  Just treat it as reloading from a credit card.  I do it all the time with the small balances left on those cards.  It will show up the same as if you added a gift card for $3.12 or whatever the balance is.

ETA: Just go to your account, then gift cards and click "reload your balance". You can add any amount left on the card. It should show up on the list of your cards since you've already used it there. If not, just add it.

I had to do this with a Vanilla Card (similar to a gift card but looks like a CC). I made a single purchase that was over that card amount, and even though it looked and acted like a CC, there was no way in amazon's system to split the purchase between 2 cards (1 for the gift card and a 2nd for the balance). So same story, i talked to them and the said to use the Vanilla GC to buy an Amazon GC. Once I didi, I was able to 'apply' the Amzn GC to the purchase and then pay the balance with one of my stored CCs. 

Kinda annoying, but I get it. 

ETA: Just go to your account, then gift cards and click "reload your balance". You can add any amount left on the card. It should show up on the list of your cards since you've already used it there. If not, just add it.
Worked perfectly, thank you!!  Next round is on me!

Worked perfectly, thank you!!  Next round is on me!
:hifive:

I always figured that was why companies now give out prepaid cards instead of checks--they know that once the card gets below $10 or so, most people aren't going to go to the trouble of using it and they probably have a deal worked out with MC or Visa to kick back part of the unused portion after the card expires (or they get to buy the cards at a discount because MC and Visa know the same thing). I love having a way to beat their system.

sweet, I'm going to do this when I get mine for being a new Comcast customer :thumbup:
I honestly don't understand how they're making money at this.  They gave me $200 to come on board with them bringing my already owned phones with me (leaving Verizon, who they are leasing the same towers/antennas from - so I have identical service here).  They charge me $12/m per gig that my wife and I used combined.  We use less than 2 (she works from home, I have wifi in office).  Been with them for months and cumulatively our bills haven't yet added up to $200.

I honestly don't understand how they're making money at this.  They gave me $200 to come on board with them bringing my already owned phones with me (leaving Verizon, who they are leasing the same towers/antennas from - so I have identical service here).  They charge me $12/m per gig that my wife and I used combined.  We use less than 2 (she works from home, I have wifi in office).  Been with them for months and cumulatively our bills haven't yet added up to $200.
I have my data turned off since 95% of the time I'm somewhere that I can get wifi and I only turn it on when I need to. I've only had one month in a year and a half where I went over 100 megs (less than that and there's no data charge), so all I generally pay are the gov't regulation fees of about $3/month.

I have my data turned off since 95% of the time I'm somewhere that I can get wifi and I only turn it on when I need to. I've only had one month in a year and a half where I went over 100 megs (less than that and there's no data charge), so all I generally pay are the gov't regulation fees of about $3/month.
I didn't know that!  Challenge accepted.

I ended up getting yet another firestick, this time the 4k one, for my main TV. I guess you can link your Echo to your firestick and the Ring Doorbell. Then you just say Alexa show me my front door and it will come up on your TV.

The Echo Show 5 looks like it might make a good upstairs bedroom device though.

I'm new to all this "smart" tech and am learning.
Had trouble hooking up ring doorbell to existing wiring. Made my mechanical bell buzz constantly. Looks like maybe too much current? Google say you can put some sort of dampener on it but I'm no electrician. Hooked the old button back up which was a pain because the wire kept breaking and I kept pulling extra wire down and then too much so I couldn't shove it back into wall. Ended up cutting a bunch off and having just enough to hook old bell switch back up. Hung the Ring directly above it and ordered a chime. In 6-12 months when I have to charge the battery it will be a pain because existing button is in way of sliding battery out.

They’re not making money on wireless.  They’re losing , alot

How do you like xfinity wireless compared to Verizon? Is it really 45 for unlimited or are there added fees that they don’t advertise?

They’re not making money on wireless.  They’re losing , alot

How do you like xfinity wireless compared to Verizon? Is it really 45 for unlimited or are there added fees that they don’t advertise?
Compared to verizon - at least in my area it's identical.  They are using the same towers, antennas.  When it comes to coverage, I only use data for voice and and very limited actual data for things like looking up an item on Amazon or social media stuff - I don't stream video/music, so I've been happy with it.  Last month the wife and I combined for 2.9 gigs, and the bill was $40 ($36 for service and $4 in taxes/fees). 

Ex-wife bought kindle paperwhite on prime day, let me borrow for a bit to try it out and now I want one.   I'm one to save a few bucks if its not too much of a hassle so my question is do they put this thing on sale frequently (say within the next month) or am I looking at a much longer wait time (will just buy now if that's the case)?

sweet, I'm going to do this when I get mine for being a new Comcast customer :thumbup:
I just did the same thing with comcast and since I was switching phones I got two $250 gift cards sweet.  The bill is also over $30 cheaper a month went from $97 a month to just over $60.  The phones are for my wife and my special needs daughter I still don't own one.  My problem is showing them how to use them because I don't have a clue.  They were using flip phones before.

Ex-wife bought kindle paperwhite on prime day, let me borrow for a bit to try it out and now I want one.   I'm one to save a few bucks if its not too much of a hassle so my question is do they put this thing on sale frequently (say within the next month) or am I looking at a much longer wait time (will just buy now if that's the case)?
Cyber Monday, probably, for the next big sale on those.

Just returned a book I bought on amazon to Kohl’s.   Super easy, they had their own kiosk, so no waiting on the standard along ### return line.  No one on line for them.  They scanned the bar code I printed out, got a full refund and then got a coupon for 25% off 1 item at kohl’s.  Idk if it was a1 time thing, but it’s pretty sweet  

I’m liking this arraignment.  

Just returned a book I bought on amazon to Kohl’s.   Super easy, they had their own kiosk, so no waiting on the standard along ### return line.  No one on line for them.  They scanned the bar code I printed out, got a full refund and then got a coupon for 25% off 1 item at kohl’s.  Idk if it was a1 time thing, but it’s pretty sweet  

I’m liking this arraignment.  
What's this now?

What's this now?
Khol's partnered with Amazon and their stores are now drop off locations for Amazon returns. Best part is there is they do not deduct shipping from the cost now. If I wanted to return before, my refund was less shipping, or I could go to an Amazon locker which none were near my house. Here its drop off and go. 

Users who are viewing this thread