What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

East Coast Bias said:
The order I placed on Friday just went from a pre-Christmas delivery to a post-Christmas delivery. Good work Amazon.
Was it promised for Christmas? If so call CS before around 10 PST this morning and they'll overnight you another. If it's because it is Out of Stock, there's not much to be done.

East Coast Bias said:
The order I placed on Friday just went from a pre-Christmas delivery to a post-Christmas delivery. Good work Amazon.
Was it promised for Christmas? If so call CS before around 10 PST this morning and they'll overnight you another. If it's because it is Out of Stock, there's not much to be done.
I don't need it before Christmas. It originally had a Tuesday delivery date but it still hasn't shipped. This is still only the second order that's not been delivered on time. I've just noticed a change lately. I used to get things the next day. I don't anymore. More stuff is being sent by UPS SurePost which I don't like but I'll have to deal with.

My mom and I have done 100% of our gift shopping on Amazon this year. I've even purchased quite a bit of food from Amazon including six smoked quails that were served halved with warm sourdough, proscuitto and brie last night. Only the bread wasn't from Amazon. I have a nephew who's been all over Vegas and had others looking in San Diego and LA trying find the all blue diamond foam Minecraft sword for his kid. I heard the story, checked Amazon, had it sent overnight to his house and called him stupid.

Mom is weakened near the end of a long cancer fight. At first she despised the concept of online shopping. She was depressed about being unable to get out to the mall. She is 100% satisfied with her gifts and completely blown away by the speed of some deliveries. She's filled with holiday spirit addicted to sitting up in her hospital bed with my Ipad "window shopping" on Amazon. She knows this is her last Christmas. She's spent over 7 grand on gifts (can't take it with her) including 5 Xbox1s. She loves Amazon so much she wants to buy it a gift too.

My mom and I have done 100% of our gift shopping on Amazon this year. I've even purchased quite a bit of food from Amazon including six smoked quails that were served halved with warm sourdough, proscuitto and brie last night. Only the bread wasn't from Amazon. I have a nephew who's been all over Vegas and had others looking in San Diego and LA trying find the all blue diamond foam Minecraft sword for his kid. I heard the story, checked Amazon, had it sent overnight to his house and called him stupid.

Mom is weakened near the end of a long cancer fight. At first she despised the concept of online shopping. She was depressed about being unable to get out to the mall. She is 100% satisfied with her gifts and completely blown away by the speed of some deliveries. She's filled with holiday spirit addicted to sitting up in her hospital bed with my Ipad "window shopping" on Amazon. She knows this is her last Christmas. She's spent over 7 grand on gifts (can't take it with her) including 5 Xbox1s. She loves Amazon so much she wants to buy it a gift too.
God bless her

USPS seems to be on top of their game. I ordered something on Saturday morning and it made it from California to Nebraska this morning. I was shocked.
USPS knocked it out of the park this year.
Not so much . UPS is rerouting parcels from the UPS/USPS stream back to UPS. I guess they are afraid of non deliveries before Xhristmas.
That's SurePost in action, not USPS. Give the package to USPS at the DDU by 0500 and they'll take care of business. One of the problems with SurePost is that they won't do the early DDU entry so USPS will only give them a 2 day SLA.

:thumbup:

4 items failed to show today with one of them an overnight item. Two of them where white elephant gifts for our family grab , no big deal but one is pissing me off

1st offer was extend prime by 1 month. After bumping up to supervisor the guy started on the exact same script as the 1st guy. Then I said I've purchased 9 kindles since being a prime member & sprinkled in Bezos and customer service yada yada yada. He asks what I would like , I counter with what can you do for me to take the sour taste out of my mouth. He comes with $10(40 total credit) for each item plus the month extension. Deal

4 items failed to show today with one of them an overnight item. Two of them where white elephant gifts for our family grab , no big deal but one is pissing me off
UPS Worldport in Louisville (their central air sort) blew up last night. Amazon was actually not the cause (not directly at least).

Anybody affected by that actually should have gotten n email and a $20 card sometime earlier today.

A couple of my orders didn't make it in time for Christmas. Got two of these emails a little while ago:

Hello,

We learned today that there has been a failure in the UPS transportation network and they are unable to deliver your package by December 24. This has impacted one or more items in order #xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx.

We're very sorry for the delay and inconvenience. We understand this is a disappointment. We wanted to let you know about this as soon as possible in case you need to make other plans.

We’ve refunded any shipping charges associated with your shipment. We’d also like to provide you with a $20 gift card to compensate for this inconvenience. This amount will be applied to your next eligible order automatically without entering a claim code. Amazon.com Gift Cards can be used to buy almost any item sold on Amazon.com.

You can track your shipment by going to “Your Orders” (www.amazon.com/your-orders). If you would like to return your order, please visit www.amazon.com/returns.

We value your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

So the prime is $79 a year and you still have to pay for movies? I got a free 30 day trial, am I understanding this right?
You have to pay for movies that aren't a part of their Prime Instant Video library, or whatever it's called. New releases = pay. Older stuff, similar to Netflix = included with Prime sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the prime is $79 a year and you still have to pay for movies? I got a free 30 day trial, am I understanding this right?
You have to pay for movies that aren't a part of their Prime Instant Video library, or whatever it's called. New releases = pay. Older stuff, similar to Netflix = included with Prime sub.
and some new movies are free.i saw hunger games, skyfall, and all the marvel movies as part of prime

Amazon has the best service around. One item didn't arrive for Xmas despite being listed as "delivered"

Got a replacement on the 27th with no questions asked.

and some new movies are free.i saw hunger games, skyfall, and all the marvel movies as part of prime
Those are on Netflix as well.

Those are on Netflix as well.
Yeah new releases as in those which are just hitting DVD.

You should share that story with Amazon.

Amazon has the best service around. One item didn't arrive for Xmas despite being listed as "delivered"

Got a replacement on the 27th with no questions asked.
My son got a little toy drill set for xmas, we had ordered it back in july for something else and ended up keeping it for him for xmas. Anyway it didn't work, contacted amazon today and they're sending a new one overnight. They are the best company out there. Returns at other stores are such a hassle.

You should share that story with Amazon.
This IS pretty effing awesome. :Thoughts and best wishes Chaos Commish)

I bought our dog a chew toy for Xmas. I realize he doesn't know it's a holiday but he's a member of the family. The toy has an internal bungee and stretches to 36" long. According to the Amazon product description, it has dimensions of 2.5 x 2.5 x 21 inches and 3.2 ounces.

When we were wrapping gifts, it was the one shipment we couldn't find. I looked all over the house on Dec 24th and couldn't find the damn thing. The mystery was solved last week when we were taking down the tree. I found a large box from Amazon that was about 36" x 6" x 6". I assume they assigned the shipping box based on the dimensions in the product database even though it would have easily fit in a normal shipping envelope.

So Bosley has his toy and we have a nice box that can be used to hold posters.

I made an order yesterday afternoon (Sunday) and received it today (Federal Holiday) on regular Prime 2-Day shipping. WOW!

I just ordered a google nexus 7 tablet, a case for the tablet, an ab roller, and a sony bluetooth speaker. Expected delivery date of 1/29. I was laughing when I saw that. It will be here Tuesday, maybe Monday.

So I've been using subscribe and save about 4 months now and I've had at least 6 items canceled on me for no longer being available as part of the program. Kind if annoying, but it still beats going to the grocery store for giant boxes of laundry detergent.

Amazon Prime Could See $20 To $40 Price Hike

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/30/amazon-prime-could-see-20-to-40-price-hike/?utm_campaign=fb&ncid=fb

------

Wasn't there a link posted in here a few months back arguing that Amazon should be dropping the price, not raising it? I'll have to go try and find it.
I would still re-up at a somewhat higher price point. As it stands now, Prime is an insanely good value. I would have a hard time blaming Amazon for raising the price.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/30/amazon-prime-could-see-20-to-40-price-hike/?utm_campaign=fb&ncid=fb

------

Wasn't there a link posted in here a few months back arguing that Amazon should be dropping the price, not raising it? I'll have to go try and find it.
That's a pretty solid price hike. $40 would add on another $3/month making it almost $10/month. We mainly use it for the 2-day shipping. Wonder if they would split it out for just shipping and then shipping/streaming? We used Prime Instant Video a few times, but the selection isn't quite as good as Netflix, decent, but not as good.

------

I would still re-up at a somewhat higher price point. As it stands now, Prime is an insanely good value. I would have a hard time blaming Amazon for raising the price.
Yeah, I don't want Amazon to know how much I'd really be willing to pay for Prime.

But of course they do. They know what I want to eat for lunch today.

Quick question about prime shipping - is it for anything on their site, or just things that say "prime"? Does it make shipping anything 2 day?

Quick question about prime shipping - is it for anything on their site, or just things that say "prime"? Does it make shipping anything 2 day?
Only for things that say "Prime" next to it, which is usually a good amount of stuff. Every once in awhile I find something on there that isn't though.

Only for things that say "Prime" next to it, which is usually a good amount of stuff. Every once in awhile I find something on there that isn't though.
I just ordered some "soft close" cabinet hardware that wasn't "prime" and had like $9 shipping. I was wondering if I was a prime member if that shipping charge would have been waived. I guess now, nor would it have had any faster shipping, correct?

I just ordered some "soft close" cabinet hardware that wasn't "prime" and had like $9 shipping. I was wondering if I was a prime member if that shipping charge would have been waived. I guess now, nor would it have had any faster shipping, correct?
Correct. You probably bought it from one of the many Amazon resellers, not Amazon itself. You can select Amazon among the "Seller" list on the left if you want to filter out all the rest.

Correct. You probably bought it from one of the many Amazon resellers, not Amazon itself. You can select Amazon among the "Seller" list on the left if you want to filter out all the rest.
But most of the "prime" items have free shipping already. So I'm just getting those items faster? I guess I'm just never in that big of a rush....

So I've been using subscribe and save about 4 months now and I've had at least 6 items canceled on me for no longer being available as part of the program. Kind if annoying, but it still beats going to the grocery store for giant boxes of laundry detergent.
I found subscribe and save to be way less awesome than I thought it would be.

When I first discovered it I was giddy: 20% off, o yeah. Then I found it hard to find things that we used regularly enough in reasonable quantities. It's just me, my wife, and infant son. Having to purchase a lifetime supply eliminates the need for a subscription.

Excitement level was dramatically lower, but I still spent an hour subscribing to enough stuff and staggering it so that I always got the 5 item minimum to get the 20%. I used a spreadsheet to arrange the scheduling and intended to track my usage to tweak it as needed. Then before the third delivery they had cancelled half the stuff I had subscribed to totally ####### up my superawesome spreadsheet.

Now we only have a few "regulars" on there, and I just randomly tack on items as needed to get the 20% discount. I hope toothpaste doesn't expire.

But most of the "prime" items have free shipping already. So I'm just getting those items faster? I guess I'm just never in that big of a rush....
It's only free shipping if it would be $35 or more, and it's the "saver" shipping which I believe could be up to 5 business days. For items under $35, you pay, and you are paying for that slower shipping method.

Prime gets you anything under $35 shipped for free, and the same two day shipping that you would get on items over $35.

And yeah, it's about getting items shipped faster/free. If that's not for you, Prime isn't for you. For most, that's pretty much the entire point of internet shopping. Hypothetically, you could have ordered that cabinet hardware yesterday and had them delivered to you to work on over the weekend, or you could wait until Saturday, haul your ### to Home Depot and try to find the right one, and then go home.

I gotta admit, I'd be okay with another $40 a year. Ten bucks a month for free two-day shipping? As much as I spend at Amazon, it's still worth it. I'd have to crunch the numbers, but I suspect it would still be a good deal at twice the price.

And while $40 a year sounds steep - and it is, considering the current price - I have to wonder when the last time they raised rates was. People have a weird way of thinking that something should stay the same price forever.

If they're really getting killed on shipping prices, maybe they could be better served coming up with a tiered system of price based on order history. There are probably a good number of people who pay for Prime but don't order enough to come out very far ahead, and you don't want to make those people start crunching numbers to see if it's still worth it with a big price hike, because they'll cancel. Then you have people who make multiple orders a week, where items ship individually sometimes, and that's what's likely really driving up costs. You could probably double the price for those customers and it will still be cost-effective.

I found subscribe and save to be way less awesome than I thought it would be.

When I first discovered it I was giddy: 20% off, o yeah. Then I found it hard to find things that we used regularly enough in reasonable quantities. It's just me, my wife, and infant son. Having to purchase a lifetime supply eliminates the need for a subscription.

Excitement level was dramatically lower, but I still spent an hour subscribing to enough stuff and staggering it so that I always got the 5 item minimum to get the 20%. I used a spreadsheet to arrange the scheduling and intended to track my usage to tweak it as needed. Then before the third delivery they had cancelled half the stuff I had subscribed to totally ####### up my superawesome spreadsheet.

Now we only have a few "regulars" on there, and I just randomly tack on items as needed to get the 20% discount. I hope toothpaste doesn't expire.
Diapers/wipes are awesome for sub and save

It's only free shipping if it would be $35 or more, and it's the "saver" shipping which I believe could be up to 5 business days. For items under $35, you pay, and you are paying for that slower shipping method.

Prime gets you anything under $35 shipped for free, and the same two day shipping that you would get on items over $35.

And yeah, it's about getting items shipped faster/free. If that's not for you, Prime isn't for you. For most, that's pretty much the entire point of internet shopping. Hypothetically, you could have ordered that cabinet hardware yesterday and had them delivered to you to work on over the weekend, or you could wait until Saturday, haul your ### to Home Depot and try to find the right one, and then go home.
Wait, I thought prime wouldn't do anything for items that aren't "prime". The cabinet hardware wasn't a "prime" item, so my shipping options would have been the same either way, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread