What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (7 Viewers)

Seattle run defense has disappeared in first half against Vikings today. Seattle winning BECAUSE of Wilson at the half.

Seattle run defense has disappeared in first half against Vikings today. Seattle winning BECAUSE of Wilson at the half.
Amazing how fast things change in the NFL. Maybe this will finally shut up the few remaining Matt Flynn bandwagoners. Flynn is a good QB, but he is no Russell Wilson.And this defensive interior better get it together or they will be on the outside looking in come the playoffs.

Amazing how fast things change in the NFL. Maybe this will finally shut up the few remaining Matt Flynn bandwagoners. Flynn is a good QB, but he is no Russell Wilson.And this defensive interior better get it together or they will be on the outside looking in come the playoffs.
:goodposting: He's played well for a rookie who's being reined in by offensive philosophy and limited by WR talent/drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will hard to be the best rookie QB in this class when Luck is on a pace to be the best rookie QB of all time. The offense Luck is running in Indy is more multiple than what Peyton ran; player packages and formations dwarf what the Colts did during the Manning years. Luck is truly special.

However, I'll take Russell Wilson in the third round any time. He is progressing every week as a pure pocket passer and is playing better than any rookie signal caller not named Andrew Luck. I love RG3 too. This class is going down as the best ever... Yes, better than that one too

Flynn who? Russell is showing to be the best QB in this draft class.
Now you're just trying to get attention by being outrageous. Good shtick...I guess
He leads all rookie QBs in TD passes and Wins.
Yes he does, but he's not the best QB in this draft class. I like what I see from him and all, but come on.
The only thing he has against him is he is in Seattle. If he played on the east coast the media would be all over him. Best in this class.

Flynn who?

Russell is showing to be the best QB in this draft class.
Now you're just trying to get attention by being outrageous. Good shtick...I guess
Yes he does, but he's not the best QB in this draft class. I like what I see from him and all, but come on.
The only thing he has against him is he is in Seattle. If he played on the east coast the media would be all over him. Best in this class.
That and not being as good as Andrew Luck.

Flynn who?

They have the same amount of wins (despite the hawks much more difficult schedule) and Wilson leads him in td passes....just sayin

'proninja said:
Notice how nobody is talking about his height anymore?
If he plays poorly its going to be mentioned. He's young. He's going to have bad games. I fully expect the members that posted in this thread to chime in again at some point after a poor game. Wilson's good games and positive contributions will continue to be ignored.

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of pre-season football so far this year. The two best performances I've seen by any QB thus far were Andrew Luck vs. the Rams and Wilson last night vs. the Broncos. Not sure how to define 'it', but Wilson has it. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him win this job and have the organization go with their future now. Pete needs to make a bold move or he won't have a job for much longer. IMO.
:coffee:

'proninja said:
If he plays poorly its going to be mentioned. He's young. He's going to have bad games. I fully expect the members that posted in this thread to chime in again at some point after a poor game. Wilson's good games and positive contributions will continue to be ignored.
And he's only going to get better. He's Drew Brees II. This is one different young man. :thumbup:

You're really kidding yourselves if you think someone Wilson's size can perform well on a team loaded with the kinds of mediocre skill position players the Seahawks have. T.O.? Hey, if he didn't drop that perfectly thrown bomb from Flynn, how does that impact this QB "battle?" Sidney Rice? Don't make me laugh. The TEs the genius Carroll never throws to? This is not a good offensive team. Flynn is getting screwed- hope he enjoys that big contract.
Solid input here.

I think far too many people are assuming that this is Wilson's chance to win the job, as in if he plays well he will be the starter. It is also possible he could play well and Carroll could say, "we wanted to see him with the starters. He did well and that is going to be something wr build on. Matt gives us a veteran presence and we like what hea done So he will be our starter. "
Priceless.

This thread is full of gems.

I think far too many people are assuming that this is Wilson's chance to win the job, as in if he plays well he will be the starter. It is also possible he could play well and Carroll could say, "we wanted to see him with the starters. He did well and that is going to be something wr build on. Matt gives us a veteran presence and we like what hea done So he will be our starter. "
Priceless.This thread is full of gems.
:goodposting:

Flynn who?

They have the same amount of wins (despite the hawks much more difficult schedule) and Wilson leads him in td passes....just sayin
The Seahawks have an overall better "TEAM" than Andrew Luck does.Luck is the better QB.

And how has the Hawk's schedule been "much more difficult"?

Flynn who?

The Seahawks have an overall better "TEAM" than Andrew Luck does.Luck is the better QB.

And how has the Hawk's schedule been "much more difficult"?
Seahawks have played a much tougher overall schedule than the Colts have. Wilson is the better QB.

Seahawks have played a much tougher overall schedule than the Colts have.

Wilson is the better QB.
Ya know, I love that Seattle has some crazy faithful fans. The noise they make at home games makes a difference. That said, bro you're making me cringe here.

I think this quarterback class has a chance to be a very special one, but there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill. Maybe not even Cousins, but Wilson is doing a damn fine job of showing he belongs in the NFL to this point.

Scientist, you really really really need to stop it.

I am a huge seahawk fan. I think Wilson has been MUCH better than expected, and I love the future with him.

....But calling him better than Luck is borderline ######ed. Luck is the real deal, natural. The dude will win multiple Superbowls, and is leading one of the worst team in NFL history (last year) to respectability.

Wilson is a good, SOLID QB. Luck is a MuthaFu... PHENOM!

Cool it, please. you are making up Seahawk fans look bad.

Wilson is the better QB.
Ya know, I love that Seattle has some crazy faithful fans. The noise they make at home games makes a difference. That said, bro you're making me cringe here.

I think this quarterback class has a chance to be a very special one, but there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill. Maybe not even Cousins, but Wilson is doing a damn fine job of showing he belongs in the NFL to this point.
You think if they redo the draft, Tannehill goes before Wilson? I dont. RG3 and Luck, yes.

Scientist, you really really really need to stop it.I am a huge seahawk fan. I think Wilson has been MUCH better than expected, and I love the future with him.....But calling him better than Luck is borderline ######ed. Luck is the real deal, natural. The dude will win multiple Superbowls, and is leading one of the worst team in NFL history (last year) to respectability. Wilson is a good, SOLID QB. Luck is a MuthaFu... PHENOM!Cool it, please. you are making up Seahawk fans look bad.
Spend more time talking football and less worrying about me. :thumbup:

Wilson is the better QB.

You think if they redo the draft, Tannehill goes before Wilson? I dont. RG3 and Luck, yes.
Yes Seattle does have some nutty fans.

Scientist, you really really really need to stop it.I am a huge seahawk fan. I think Wilson has been MUCH better than expected, and I love the future with him.....But calling him better than Luck is borderline ######ed. Luck is the real deal, natural. The dude will win multiple Superbowls, and is leading one of the worst team in NFL history (last year) to respectability. Wilson is a good, SOLID QB. Luck is a MuthaFu... PHENOM!Cool it, please. you are making up Seahawk fans look bad.
Spend more time talking football and less worrying about me. :thumbup:
You're making us look bad with your fishing. Stop it.

Seriously. Scientist is actually taking away from Wilson's terrific start. He looks very good out there and seems to be improving on a weekly basis. It's a great story, but the hyperbole around him being better than Luck/RGIII at this point in his career undermines Russell's accomplishments.

Wilson is the better QB.
Ya know, I love that Seattle has some crazy faithful fans. The noise they make at home games makes a difference. That said, bro you're making me cringe here.I think this quarterback class has a chance to be a very special one, but there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill. Maybe not even Cousins, but Wilson is doing a damn fine job of showing he belongs in the NFL to this point.
Cringe all you want....only history will tell. I have said from day 1 when its all said and done Wilson will be regarded as one of the top 2 QBs in this years class..... I stand by that. The 5 starting rookie QBs have all looked great so far this year, but draft slot does not dictate future success. Once you make the team what you do on the field matters. So while on draft day "there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill" that is meaningless NOW.....

Wilson is the better QB.

I've watched Tannehill play twice now this year. He's got a lot going for him. Right or wrong, GM's can't ignore the numbers when it comes to measuring physical tools. I think Tannehill looks like a long term keeper for the Dolphins. Ask a few Miami fans.

'ImTheScientist said:
So while on draft day "there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill" that is meaningless NOW.....
It's not meaningless if you asked them now and they still would all take Luck and RG3 ahead of Wilson. Every single one would. Today. Tannehill I'm not sure about.

Wilson may look like he's keeping pace with Luck when you look at the stats but one thing is being ignored here, which to me makes Luck the better QB by far.

If you're a Def Coordinator playing against Indy, you want to force them to beat you on the ground. If you're playing Seattle, you want to force them to beat you through the air. This means Def coordinators are actually trying to squash Luck's game while generally giving Wilson more room to play while focusing more on shutting Lynch down.

Wilson may look like he's keeping pace with Luck when you look at the stats but one thing is being ignored here, which to me makes Luck the better QB by far. If you're a Def Coordinator playing against Indy, you want to force them to beat you on the ground. If you're playing Seattle, you want to force them to beat you through the air. This means Def coordinators are actually trying to squash Luck's game while generally giving Wilson more room to play while focusing more on shutting Lynch down.
I get that you're making a rational argument, but who are you arguing with? There's one blind homer saying Wilson is better. Just one. Several other Seattle fans have chimed in saying as much. Scientist is enthusiastic, and we appreciate it, but it probably isn't worth your time. Its akin to having a foot face with a man with no legs. What's the point?

Seriously. Scientist is actually taking away from Wilson's terrific start. He looks very good out there and seems to be improving on a weekly basis. It's a great story, but the hyperbole around him being better than Luck/RGIII at this point in his career undermines Russell's accomplishments.
Don't let one interpimp shade your perception of Wilson. Most Seattle fans are much more measured in their enthusiasm.

'proninja said:
And he's only going to get better. He's Drew Brees II. This is one different young man. :thumbup:
Agreed with the Brees comparison. But it's not the height that is the the most defining characteristic they share; it's the preparation and mental focus. This kid is like a 10 year vet when it comes to film study and putting in the work. Brees is who he models himself after.

Wilson is definitely exceeding expectations and playing very well by rookie standards. He has not been asked to do a lot, but when he been asked to do a little more he has actually handelled it fairly well.

I gave him the pass for the San Fran game as that defense is as good as it gets, and with the exception of that game his last month of action has been quite good. He definitely is taking steps in the right direction.

I am starting to come around on him more and more as time passes. The consistency is the thing that I thought would have made Flynn the day 1 starter for this year the easy choice in Seattle, but if Wilson continues to play consistently then it was the right choice.

Wilson is definitely exceeding expectations and playing very well by rookie standards. He has not been asked to do a lot, but when he been asked to do a little more he has actually handelled it fairly well.I gave him the pass for the San Fran game as that defense is as good as it gets, and with the exception of that game his last month of action has been quite good. He definitely is taking steps in the right direction.I am starting to come around on him more and more as time passes. The consistency is the thing that I thought would have made Flynn the day 1 starter for this year the easy choice in Seattle, but if Wilson continues to play consistently then it was the right choice.
I might even take this one step further and say he isn't just consistent, but improving.For me, Wilson has certainly been a surprise. People seem to have forgotten he was in a 3-man rotation during the pre-season so he didn't get enough reps for the early action. I think we'll see a greatly improved passing game in 2013, but even this year he's starting to really look good. A quick stat I read this morning: Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst threw for 16 TDs last season; Wilson has thrown 13 through 9 games. While that doesn't seem like something to get worked up about, the future certainly does look bright right now.

Wilson may look like he's keeping pace with Luck when you look at the stats but one thing is being ignored here, which to me makes Luck the better QB by far. If you're a Def Coordinator playing against Indy, you want to force them to beat you on the ground. If you're playing Seattle, you want to force them to beat you through the air. This means Def coordinators are actually trying to squash Luck's game while generally giving Wilson more room to play while focusing more on shutting Lynch down.
There are plenty of reasons to point out why Luck is the better QB right now, but the fact that Seattle has a far superior running game to Indy isn't one of them. Luck needs to throw more based on the fact that they don't have a strong run game. Seattle has one of the best ground games in the league. So, while Luck should get kudos for putting up solid yardage numbers you can't really ding Wilson for not being required to do so, nor for playing in the same backfield as Marshawn Lynch.Luck has had to swallow a lot more in terms of formations and play calling though, and for that reason alone he is head and shoulders above the rest of this QB class

'ImTheScientist said:

Wilson is the better QB.
Ya know, I love that Seattle has some crazy faithful fans. The noise they make at home games makes a difference. That said, bro you're making me cringe here.I think this quarterback class has a chance to be a very special one, but there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill. Maybe not even Cousins, but Wilson is doing a damn fine job of showing he belongs in the NFL to this point.
Cringe all you want....only history will tell. I have said from day 1 when its all said and done Wilson will be regarded as one of the top 2 QBs in this years class..... I stand by that. The 5 starting rookie QBs have all looked great so far this year, but draft slot does not dictate future success. Once you make the team what you do on the field matters. So while on draft day "there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill" that is meaningless NOW.....
They do a LOT of H in SEA don't they?

'ImTheScientist said:

Wilson is the better QB.
No more than in SF.

Seahawks have played a much tougher overall schedule than the Colts have. Wilson is the better QB.
No bias there.But I believe you are incorrect on both counts.The Colts have a worse team...and the schedules are quite similar in toughness.

'ImTheScientist said:

Wilson is the better QB.
No more than in SF.
You may have a point, since they gush over Alex Smith like you do Russell. Thing is, they know who Luck is too.

Wilson is the better QB.
No bias there.But I believe you are incorrect on both counts.

The Colts have a worse team...and the schedules are quite similar in toughness.
I'm not sure I agree. Taking out the two common opponents (Green Bay, Minnesota) which both teams beat we're left with the following (in order of record)
Code:
Colts-----Bears    (7-1)Dolphins (4-4)Jets     (3-5)Titans   (3-6)Browns   (2-7)Jaguars  (1-7)Seahawks--------49ers     (6-2)Patriots  (5-3)Lions     (4-4)Cardinals (4-5)Cowboys   (3-5)Rams      (3-5)Panthers  (2-6)
I do have to admit, when I started typing this out I expected a couple of these teams to be better in standings (specifically the Lions and Cowboys). But if you told me the Seahawks could switch schedules with the Colts I would do it in a heartbeat because some of those teams are flat out horrible (Jags, Browns, Jets, and Titans). I'll give Miami a pass but I thoroughly expect to beat them when the Seahawks play them.

Wilson is the better QB.
No bias there.But I believe you are incorrect on both counts.

The Colts have a worse team...and the schedules are quite similar in toughness.
I'm not sure I agree. Taking out the two common opponents (Green Bay, Minnesota) which both teams beat we're left with the following (in order of record)
Colts-----Bears (7-1)Dolphins (4-4)Jets (3-5)Titans (3-6)Browns (2-7)Jaguars (1-7)Seahawks--------49ers (6-2)Patriots (5-3)Lions (4-4)Cardinals (4-5)Cowboys (3-5)Rams (3-5)Panthers (2-6)I do have to admit, when I started typing this out I expected a couple of these teams to be better in standings (specifically the Lions and Cowboys). But if you told me the Seahawks could switch schedules with the Colts I would do it in a heartbeat because some of those teams are flat out horrible (Jags, Browns, Jets, and Titans). I'll give Miami a pass but I thoroughly expect to beat them when the Seahawks play them.
Just as the Rams and Panthers are awful.And lets not act as if Dallas is any good right now...nor are the Cardinals really.

The Hawks have a very nice win against the Pats...a slightly tainted one against the Packers (yeah, Im a bitter Packer fan...).

Colts had nice wins against the Dolphins and did not need help to beat the Packers.

'ImTheScientist said:
So while on draft day "there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill" that is meaningless NOW.....
It's not meaningless if you asked them now and they still would all take Luck and RG3 ahead of Wilson. Every single one would. Today. Tannehill I'm not sure about.
IMO if we could go back and hold the draft over knowing what we know now, Luck and RGIII would still go 1-2. And maybe Tannehill would go before Wilson.But the important difference is Wilson would be a top 10-15 pick, not a third round pick. He's proven that he deserved to be picked in the first half of the first round, just as he would have been if he were 2-3 inches taller.What order he and Tannehill would be taken in doesn't really matter with regard to how well Wilson is performing and how he looks for the future.

I love Wilson. I own him in all my dynasty leagues. That being said, in no way is he close to the best QB in this class. He's far from it.

:goodposting: X 100,000ItS is the kind of arrogant super homer fan that would put McGwire and Mirer above Montana and Young. Only thing I disagree with is that Wilson will be far better than solid eventually. I think, with weapons, he'll surpass Hass as a Seahawks QB.

I love Wilson. I own him in all my dynasty leagues. That being said, in no way is he close to the best QB in this class. He's far from it.
How is he far from it? 13Tds, 2 4th Q comeback wins, victories over Romo, Rodgers, Brady, Newton, 10th in the league in QB rating...... pretty damn good. I would venture to bet only a minority of people were saying Brees was better than Vick early on as well. :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread