What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kyle Rudolph (2 Viewers)

Kyle Rudolph injury update

The reports were negative for Rudolph (ankle) all week, but his status was upgraded from "doubtful" to "questionable" on Saturday, and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the veteran TE is expected to play this week against the Bengals.

There are obviously concerns about Rudolph's durability, and with a relatively tough match up, he's merely a borderline starting option. Still, given his recent hot streak, you could do a lot worse.

Edit: Rapoport expects Rudolph to play - Been updated for an hour or so and still nothing from Footballguys in their TE ranking. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess we'll wait n' see what his status is @ 11:30 and then decide if we want to risk it? Perhaps a red zone threat? Vikings may not need him to secure this W? 
Well the Bengals are weak against the run. So I expect the Vikings to run more and pass less.

I see them using David Morgan more as a blocker and Rudolph less. So by limited for Rudolph I mean that they may use him in the red zone, but that Rudolph will play fewer snaps than normal and used on obvious passing situations or red zone, but not on TE screens or plays off of play action as much.

FWIW as a Vikings fan I tend to not like Rudolph as much as fantasy owners do. What I don't like about Rudolph is his blocking and I think he is over payed for what he does. As a receiver he doesn't adjust to poorly placed passes from Keenum and he isn't that good after the catch either, although both of those areas have been better for Rudolph the past few weeks.

His main asset is his size in the red zone and he does have a very high conversion rate of making TD receptions on his targets there.

Well the Bengals are weak against the run. So I expect the Vikings to run more and pass less.

I see them using David Morgan more as a blocker and Rudolph less. So by limited for Rudolph I mean that they may use him in the red zone, but that Rudolph will play fewer snaps than normal and used on obvious passing situations or red zone, but not on TE screens or plays off of play action as much.

FWIW as a Vikings fan I tend to not like Rudolph as much as fantasy owners do. What I don't like about Rudolph is his blocking and I think he is over payed for what he does. As a receiver he doesn't adjust to poorly placed passes from Keenum and he isn't that good after the catch either, although both of those areas have been better for Rudolph the past few weeks.

His main asset is his size in the red zone and he does have a very high conversion rate of making TD receptions on his targets there.
I agree, yet cannot ignore his TD's recently and total - 7. Seems like regression to the mean has got to hit soon. 3 catches for 30 yards might be the case. Other options include: Ricky S-J, Jesse James, or OJ Howard? Or stick with Rudolph and hope for another TD game. Already starting Theilen in this potentially run game for Murray and McKinnon, as well as, MIN D/ST. Cheers 

I dunno. Its a crap shoot. I would maybe lean towards Howard or James, but any of these guys could lay a goose egg this week including Rudolph.

Under normal circumstances I would say Rudolph is getting more targets than those other options are. But as Rudolph is injured and I expect his playing time to be limited, this evens the expected number of targets between Rudolph and those other options.

I would say Rudolph has a higher chance of scoring a TD than those TE this week, but the total targets about the same.

Ob pure talent and it being likely that Tampa throws the ball more than the Vikings this week I might try Howard. Brate is really an obstacle for him getting targets though.

When I have watched the Steelers this year James seems to be pretty involved, but looking at his numbers for the year,  James only averages 4.2 targets per game. RSJ has cooled off the last 2 weeks after having two good weeks.

Rudolph with limited snaps seems to be about the same as those options. Not sure what I would do if I had to make such a decision.

I dunno. Its a crap shoot. I would maybe lean towards Howard or James, but any of these guys could lay a goose egg this week including Rudolph.

Under normal circumstances I would say Rudolph is getting more targets than those other options are. But as Rudolph is injured and I expect his playing time to be limited, this evens the expected number of targets between Rudolph and those other options.

I would say Rudolph has a higher chance of scoring a TD than those TE this week, but the total targets about the same.

Ob pure talent and it being likely that Tampa throws the ball more than the Vikings this week I might try Howard. Brate is really an obstacle for him getting targets though.

When I have watched the Steelers this year James seems to be pretty involved, but looking at his numbers for the year,  James only averages 4.2 targets per game. RSJ has cooled off the last 2 weeks after having two good weeks.

Rudolph with limited snaps seems to be about the same as those options. Not sure what I would do if I had to make such a decision.
Me either - lol. Kinda leaning Howard as Tampa will need to throw and coaches want to see what they have in Howard as his targets and yardage have grown over Brate. Still debating Rudolph...watching active / inactive before I set my line up. Starting Big Ben this week because of Wentz going down. Big Ben to James would be nice. 

Actually now thinking of Steven Anderson, he's their only active TE.

Edit: forgot about the Jax matchup. Witten it is.

Glad that I already subbed him out for Ebron in one matchup.... One less decision to worry about.  Still have Rudolph in another, and have to decide between him, Watson @CLE, or James vs NE.  

McDonald being inactive should help James see the field more (McDonald had been stealing a few snaps), but I don’t know.  James has burned me in the past, when he was expected to play a big role and didn’t.  Meanwhile, Watson caught like 8/80 against CLE early this season, but has done little lately.

One hour to mull it over.....

Actually now thinking of Steven Anderson, he's their only active TE.

Edit: forgot about the Jax matchup. Witten it is.
I actually dropped Anderson this week (for James), so Anderson will probably have a nice game, if this week goes like the rest of this season for me at TE in that league. Henry, Brate, Cook, Seals-Jones.... I seem to drop them all a week too early and/or pick them up a week too late.

Leaning towards another option.  Probably James.  I just can’t stomach the thought of the sideline reporter saying that Rudolph reaggrevated the ankle (mid first quarter), and won’t return.  Obviously, that can happen to anybody, but I feel like it’s more likely to happen to him than a healthier guy, obviously.  

That said, I’ll probably change my mind 7-10 times in the next 50 minutes or so. :lol:

Glad that I already subbed him out for Ebron in one matchup.... One less decision to worry about.  Still have Rudolph in another, and have to decide between him, Watson @CLE, or James vs NE.  

McDonald being inactive should help James see the field more (McDonald had been stealing a few snaps), but I don’t know.  James has burned me in the past, when he was expected to play a big role and didn’t.  Meanwhile, Watson caught like 8/80 against CLE early this season, but has done little lately.

One hour to mull it over.....
I've mulled it over after first thinking no way to a possible maybe... now I am rolling with Rudolph in a contrarian start. Jesse James, OJ Howard, and even Greg Olsen were possibilities. From walking boot and out to in my line up. Crazy! TE's generally are a crap shoot beyond the top 5-6. Rolling the dice with Rudolph.

Leaning towards another option.  Probably James.  I just can’t stomach the thought of the sideline reporter saying that Rudolph reaggrevated the ankle (mid first quarter), and won’t return.  Obviously, that can happen to anybody, but I feel like it’s more likely to happen to him than a healthier guy, obviously.  

That said, I’ll probably change my mind 7-10 times in the next 50 minutes or so. :lol:
And to think you're a Golden Gopher :D  

I've mulled it over after first thinking no way to a possible maybe... now I am rolling with Rudolph in a contrarian start. Jesse James, OJ Howard, and even Greg Olsen were possibilities. From walking boot and out to in my line up. Crazy! TE's generally are a crap shoot beyond the top 5-6. Rolling the dice with Rudolph.
I had Rudolph plugged in daily teams and just switched to Olsen. 

Rudolph might be a better red zone threat on one foot than most of the alternatives. And, let’s face it, the TE position being productive is pretty TD-dependent once you get outside of the top half-dozen guys or so.  

James would be a no-brainer for me, considering how PIT-NE SHOULD be a shootout.  The one thing that has me doubting that (besides past history with James) is that I did read somewhere last night that NE does well defending the TE. Which is surprising, given their LB issues this year.

The possibility of Rudolph leaving the game at some point does seem higher than for other TE options people are considering instead.

He was upgraded to questionable yesterday, late in the process, so higher risk of suiting up but aggravating it or just being ineffective and not playing as much I think.

I would rather Rudolph would just sit out this week and try to come back strong next week, but I can understand his motivation to try to play. The Vikings need a win, its a home game and game against the Bengals where Rudolph is from. He is already sketchy as a blocker when healthy though, and I can see the ankle limiting his ability to anchor and block well, which could be a problem for the team if he fails more blocks by playing through it. His mobility in pass routes and after the catch already somewhat limited when healthy, only gets worse playing through it in my view.

So I am concerned that he costs the Vikings offense somewhat by playing and I wish he wouldn't.

I would be very happy to be wrong of course. 

For those considering Olsen. Isn't Olsen an example of a player trying to play through injury and having to leave the game after aggravating it?

Sorry to muddy the waters, but this is a recent example of a TE doing exactly that. 

For those considering Olsen. Isn't Olsen an example of a player trying to play through injury and having to leave the game after aggravating it?

Sorry to muddy the waters, but this is a recent example of a TE doing exactly that. 
Sure is. Big reason why he’s cheap in daily. I figure he’s a top TE when healthy, Funchess is a bit dinged up, not much else for Cam to throw to, plus matchup at home, due, gut feeling, etc. I also expect GB/CAR to be a higher scoring game than CIN/MIN. 

Damn it. Now I don't know what to do.

When I have brate, Rudolph and Cook ...it seemed like Cook easy with Rudolph out....

Smh

The possibility of Rudolph leaving the game at some point does seem higher than for other TE options people are considering instead.

He was upgraded to questionable yesterday, late in the process, so higher risk of suiting up but aggravating it or just being ineffective and not playing as much I think.

I would rather Rudolph would just sit out this week and try to come back strong next week, but I can understand his motivation to try to play. The Vikings need a win, its a home game and game against the Bengals where Rudolph is from. He is already sketchy as a blocker when healthy though, and I can see the ankle limiting his ability to anchor and block well, which could be a problem for the team if he fails more blocks by playing through it. His mobility in pass routes and after the catch already somewhat limited when healthy, only gets worse playing through it in my view.

So I am concerned that he costs the Vikings offense somewhat by playing and I wish he wouldn't.

I would be very happy to be wrong of course. 
Agree with all of this.  Cincy is also missing their top three LB's, and while that might benefit Rudolph, I think it's more likely to benefit the running game.  Which, realistically, could mean less snaps for Rudolph if his ankle is bothering him at all.  MIN SHOULD win this game relatively easily, all things considered. 

Meanwhile, I think NE is going to probably scheme to take either Brown or Bell out of the game. 

Still leaning towards the Outlaw......

Sure is. Big reason why he’s cheap in daily. I figure he’s a top TE when healthy, Funchess is a bit dinged up, not much else for Cam to throw to, plus matchup at home, due, gut feeling, etc. I also expect GB/CAR to be a higher scoring game than CIN/MIN. 
I looked it up and although Olsen did leave the game against the Vikings, he still played 92% of their offensive snaps last week. So he didn't miss many plays despite leaving during a drive.

That seems like a good sign as far as him for this week I think. Olsen only missed 5 possible plays in the last game. Of course he left the game against the Jets and only played 34% of the snaps in that game. That is what you have to worry about with Rudolph I think.

Went with James.  I can live with Rudolph having a good game (especially as a homer) and not starting him more than I would be OK with the other way around. 

I have seen 4 plays so far where the Vikings used an offensive lineman at TE.

Rudolph had a key catch on 3rd down that set up the Vikings field goal but he hasn't been on the field that much.

The Vikings with a 24-0 lead now and the defense playing well. Might be a situation where they don't use Rudolph that much for the rest of the game.

Rudolph scores, Olsen scores and looks awesome again, Jesse James screwed by that stupid TD rule, that technically isn't, but is! He crossed the line with the ball! Besides who cares if ya juggle the ball, as long as you complete the play.

Yes he scored.

Kyle Rudolph played on 21 offensive snaps 31% just slightly more than Kyle Carters 18 offensive snaps 27%. David Morgan played on 50 offensive snaps 75%

Rudolph had 2 targets 2 receptions 17 yards and a TD.

He we go again...

Rudolph most likely playing, but limited amount of PT according to the Vikings. Always a threat to score but could sit if the game is under control.

Andrew Krammer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune expects Kyle Rudolph to play a major role in OC John DeFilippo's offense this season.

DeFilippo offenses have been always been tight-end friendly—Gary Barnidge had his best season with him at the controls in 2015 while Zach Ertz also had success during DeFilippo's time in Philadelphia. Rudolph returned sooner than expected from offseason ankle surgery and clearly made an impression on Kirk Cousins during OTAs. "Boy, he’s a friendly target," Cousins remarked. "It’s like throwing into a mattress." Among tight ends, only Jimmy Graham scored more touchdowns than Rudolph last season.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune 

Jul 20 - 1:58 PM

Reaching WAY back to bump the first thread I could find.

How worried are we that what we saw in week 1 -- Rudolph becoming more of a blocker and the team in general being less reliant on him as Thielen, Diggs, and even Cook siphon looks -- is a trend that cuts the value we saw in Rudolph in preseason?

Or was this just more reliant on gamescript in WK 1 and we'll see Cousins and company continue to look to the TE as an outlet.

With so many other GMs on the hunt to fill for injury (Walker, Olsen), us Rudolph owners need to pay attention to be ahead of the curve.

Anyone looking at dropping him, and if so, for whom?

Me, I am holding but am increasingly nervous that this is the wrong move and that a pre-emptive move for a guy like Cook or Kittle is the right move. With short benches, and injury issues myself, it is very hard to even consider carrying two TEs, and I don't think there are viable options in my league to stream given we have 14 teams.

So I'm looking at dropping Rudolph outright for Kittle, but would consider holding him over Cook (who I think is decent but definitely benefited from the Rams superb secondary shutting down the Raiders receivers).

What say you, Rudolph owners?

How worried are we that what we saw in week 1 -- Rudolph becoming more of a blocker and the team in general being less reliant on him as Thielen, Diggs, and even Cook siphon looks -- is a trend that cuts the value we saw in Rudolph in preseason?

Or was this just more reliant on gamescript in WK 1 and we'll see Cousins and company continue to look to the TE as an outlet.

With so many other GMs on the hunt to fill for injury (Walker, Olsen), us Rudolph owners need to pay attention to be ahead of the curve.

Me, I am holding but am increasingly nervous that this is the wrong move and that a pre-emptive move for a guy like Cook or Kittle is the right move. With short benches, and injury issues myself, it is very hard to even consider carrying two TEs, and I don't think there are viable options in my league to stream given we have 14 teams.

So I'm looking at dropping Rudolph outright for Kittle, but would consider holding him over Cook (who I think is decent but definitely benefited from the Rams superb secondary shutting down the Raiders receivers).

Sounds like a week 1 over reaction.

Cooks has 1 great game every year...then nada.

THAT BEING SAID.....cooks plays denver week 2....TE's destroy denver....go eat.

Sounds like a week 1 over reaction.

Cooks has 1 great game every year...then nada.

THAT BEING SAID.....cooks plays denver week 2....TE's destroy denver....go eat.
He's talking Dalvin, not Jared Cook.

Edit: Oops, he's talking about both. Never mind. 

These are good questions.  you talking FAAB or waiver wire?

I'm in a waiver league where I am not going to carry 2 TEs Kittle is available and looking at this.  Would not drop Rudolph for Cook by any stretch.  I unfortunately had a poor angle on this game at the bar, but have to assume that SF D line eating Minny alive caused him to have to stay in and block more.  Which is game script, but with their O line woes, this could definitely happen again.  I guess I was somewhat encouraged by at least getting the RZ target, but this could be something to think about.

I was pretty high on Rudolph because of DeFilippo's historically large TE usage and Cousins tendency to use the TE.  I guess I am leaning toward not spending too much (FAAB or priority) on Kittle.

Well, looking at MIN schedule, they have GB, BUF, LAR and PHI coming up.  Those are all going to be tough D lines to handle.  Hmmm....

These are good questions.  you talking FAAB or waiver wire?

I'm in a waiver league where I am not going to carry 2 TEs Kittle is available and looking at this.  Would not drop Rudolph for Cook by any stretch.  I unfortunately had a poor angle on this game at the bar, but have to assume that SF D line eating Minny alive caused him to have to stay in and block more.  Which is game script, but with their O line woes, this could definitely happen again.  I guess I was somewhat encouraged by at least getting the RZ target, but this could be something to think about.

I was pretty high on Rudolph because of DeFilippo's historically large TE usage and Cousins tendency to use the TE.  I guess I am leaning toward not spending too much (FAAB or priority) on Kittle.

Well, looking at MIN schedule, they have GB, BUF, LAR and PHI coming up.  Those are all going to be tough D lines to handle.  Hmmm....
Thanks for the reply. Straight waiver wire. 

And to be clear, I was talking about Dalvin Cook siphoning targets from Rudolph this year, and also my feeling that Jared Cook will be solid but his performance last night isn't a floor or middle but a ceiling given game script, and that I think I'd prefer Rudolph (given historic proven value) or even Kittle (given volume) and wouldn't drop Rudolph for Jared Cook (though interested in opinions on that front).

Rudolph didn't get a target until well into the 3rd q, and while he got a TD, the attempts weren't there. Don't know if this is a one-week thing given game script, something that will improve as he continues to develop rapport with Cousins in real-game situations, or a (bad) sign of things to come in terms of his (non)use in the passing game.

In a PPR, would rather go with a guy who gets volume, and Kittle seems to be that guy. The tough part is putting a guy like Rudolph on the wire as I really don't want to carry two TEs.

Really don't know the right approach here. 

Your comments about upcoming schedule are good (I don't really fear BUF, and GB is variable) but LA and PHI may present more opportunity for Rudolph if the receivers are bottled up. But again, not sure if he's worth holding in PPR for the upside of a few games against strong Ds as opposed to a guy who will command a steady stream of attempts each game. Not confident at this point that Rudolph will see that steady stream.

Hmmm indeed.

I'm certainly holding him at the very least, not panicking after one week although I expected more as well.  In 2017 he was a steady contributor without really blowing up any particular week, that may be the same pattern.

Doesn't all the data indicate that Cousins is one of the most TE-friendly QBs too? 

Always good to look ahead and prevent others from grabbing an emerging TE, but I wouldn't cut Rudolph to do it.

I'm certainly holding him at the very least, not panicking after one week although I expected more as well.  In 2017 he was a steady contributor without really blowing up any particular week, that may be the same pattern.

Doesn't all the data indicate that Cousins is one of the most TE-friendly QBs too? 

Always good to look ahead and prevent others from grabbing an emerging TE, but I wouldn't cut Rudolph to do it.
Good feedback. 

Rudolph vs Kittle -- who do you think will be the better play all season?

I totally hear what you are saying about Rudolph and think the likely path is regressing back to his mean of steady but not spectacular contributions, but Kittle looks like the real deal in that offense which may be much more valuable in PPR.

Good feedback. 

Rudolph vs Kittle -- who do you think will be the better play all season?

I totally hear what you are saying about Rudolph and think the likely path is regressing back to his mean of steady but not spectacular contributions, but Kittle looks like the real deal in that offense which may be much more valuable in PPR.
ZERO chance you can keep both?  If there's any way at all to pull it off I'd do that.  If not,

In PPR I take the gamble and cut Rudolph for Kittle
In Standard I'd hold Rudolph but it's a close. 

Kittle will catch more balls than Rudolph this year... I think that's a given.  Rudolph will have more shots to score TDs though.

ZERO chance you can keep both?  If there's any way at all to pull it off I'd do that.  If not,

In PPR I take the gamble and cut Rudolph for Kittle
In Standard I'd hold Rudolph but it's a close. 

Kittle will catch more balls than Rudolph this year... I think that's a given.  Rudolph will have more shots to score TDs though.
Great feedback, thanks. I wish it was easy, it's a relatively short-bench league and I have to deal with supporting Baldwin being out until potentially mid-season, Fournette possibly being out another week, etc. -- kinda need to retain some of the talent on my bench.

What an F-You to fantasy owners this week.  

If he has a hot run going into next season, maybe he gets our hopes up for 2019.  Don't know how you feel good about him next season

You blink your eyes and suddenly Kyle Rudolph is a 9-year veteran. Feels like this guy was just a young upstart getting drafted a few years ago, not a decade. Sports has a way of making you feel old sometimes...

As the #3 receiver on a team that wants to run-first I would be more interested in him if he did get traded. In particular, the raiders have more than enough cap space and Gruden loves his veterans. If Carr can squeeze a 70/900/6 season out of Jared Cook he could probably put Rudolph in the Pro-Bowl(especially with all the coverage Brown is going to draw).
Would love to see Rudolph come to the Raiders as he's an accomplished blocker and Carr can likely use his hands in this offense to make it that much more dynamic (and the fact that our RB backfield is unproven and shallower with the loss of Crowell).

I am not sure what Rudoplph's cap hit would be though -- the Raiders might still have space, but was under the impression that Rudolph's contract wasn't the lightest to carry, and there may not be a confident ROI depending on the hit.

Users who are viewing this thread