Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
rickyg

Cam Newton

2 hours ago, DarkKnightsGuru said:

He was washed up ..that throwing shoulder was bad , he had no range , his last year he wasn't even having fun anymore ..looked slow 

He was not washed up. He was injured. 

1 minute ago, tricky92 said:

Drafted him in the 11th round as a back-up to Stafford, but looks like my starting QB now. Also, was considering trying to package him for Murray but might hold.

I would package him for Murray in a heartbeat but I doubt the Murray owner will go for it. 

1 minute ago, Gally said:

As someone else already pointed out this is the same play they have run for a few TD's so far this year.  I would have guessed Seattle was looking for it and the result proves that.  I think I would have run the pass option off that play again if I used that formation.  For me, I probably spread the field with 4 or 5 WR's and then let Cam QB draw if the front was right or roll out.  I also think a naked bootleg would have worked as well.  Overall it was an obvious play call based on what NE has done through two games and Seattle was ready for it. 

I understand Cam has scored a couple of TDs with this play.  But Seattle was clearly ready for it.  I would just want to have multiple options from a full 2 yards out....Cam keep it himself, Cam hands to RB, or pass.

If it were from the 1 or inside the 1, yeah to have to run this play and if Seattle stops it, good for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackbear said:

It seems like they didn’t want to negotiate a large money contract extension. The coach, from NO, was comfortable with Bridgewater due to his experience in NO. I think other teams were not into Cam since he had proven little since his shoulder injury. In fact, the Pats did not pay him his worth. So I think Newton chose less money to have crack at starting job rather than be a back up(like Dalton took in Dallas). It is turning out to be a great bargain for the Pats and a good deal for Newton. If he has a solid year he will make a huge contract out of his year in NE. 

Cam wasn't asking for a contract extension. He said he would play out the last year of his contract, and he would prove himself. He wanted to stay in Charlotte. I don't know if it was Rhule or Tepper (I don't think it was Hurney) that in the end didn't want to keep Cam. I didn't like how Tepper fired Rivera before the season ended, and I didn't like how Cam was sent packing either. Olsen too.  I don't like the Patriots, but I like Cam, so I'm rooting for him to do well. I'm rooting for Rivera as well.

• Like 1

Always liked Cam.....and yeah he looked washed up and was not having fun. 

He was hurt. We all knew something was not right last season. It is good to see him healthy and playing well. I have always liked him. I hate the Patriots......but I can still root for the guy....he is a beast when he is right.

33 minutes ago, Gally said:

I would package him for Murray in a heartbeat but I doubt the Murray owner will go for it. 

Well, the Murray owner is very weak at WR behind T Hill, so I was thinking of throwing Newton and JuJu at him for Murray.

For me, I'd be looking get to an upgrade at the QB position while finding a way to get Diontae Johnson in to my line-up.

• Like 1

Well, drafted Cam in late rounds as I have Josh Allen.  Gonna try and sell him now.... 12 team, 0.5 PPR.  Another owner offered Singletary for him.  I am a bills homer and they have looked really good so far..... think I may take it.

• Like 1

The Seattle pass rush is horrible.  They got no pressure at all.  Cam could stand back there all day.  I wouldn't judge the rest of the season based on his performance last night.

And opposing QB's are a must-start against the Seattle Defense.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chaz McNulty said:

The Seattle pass rush is horrible.  They got no pressure at all.  Cam could stand back there all day.  I wouldn't judge the rest of the season based on his performance last night.

True, but his schedule doesn't look too bad moving forward:

LV

@KC

Den

BYE

SF

Buf

NYJ

Bal

Hou

LAC

LAR

Mia

Buf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaz McNulty said:

Seattle doesn't get a ton of pass rush, but it looked like the NE OL did a good job even when the Seahawks tried to dial up some pressure. I think the SEA secondary and injuries were probably a bigger issue. So while I certainly would agree Cam isn't going to approach 400 yards passing very often, I do think that the more practice he gets and the more of the playbook he can absorb, the better the offense will look.

On a side note, remember last year when another NE quarterback basically pouted that he had no weapons and no one to throw to? Cam last night had essentially the same cast of characters and made things work. I stand by my prediction that the NE offense with Cam and no major skill position upgrades from last season could be a better and more productive offense than it was with Brady. Cam just gives them plays and options they didn't have with Brady. That's not a knock on Brady, it's just a fact. What I would say has been a big difference is a dramatic culture change with Cam. Everyone in the locker room finds Cam's personality and energy infectious . . . while there are plenty of stories out there that Tom was not a happy camper last year and his sour #### demeanor was not well received by his team. We'll see how things go moving forward, but a lot of folks are saying things have been more enjoyable with Cam so far. Maybe it's still the honeymoon period . . .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Seattle doesn't get a ton of pass rush, but it looked like the NE OL did a good job even when the Seahawks tried to dial up some pressure. I think the SEA secondary and injuries were probably a bigger issue. So while I certainly would agree Cam isn't going to approach 400 yards passing very often, I do think that the more practice he gets and the more of the playbook he can absorb, the better the offense will look.

On a side note, remember last year when another NE quarterback basically pouted that he had no weapons and no one to throw to? Cam last night had essentially the same cast of characters and made things work. I stand by my prediction that the NE offense with Cam and no major skill position upgrades from last season could be a better and more productive offense than it was with Brady. Cam just gives them plays and options they didn't have with Brady. That's not a knock on Brady, it's just a fact. What I would say has been a big difference is a dramatic culture change with Cam. Everyone in the locker room finds Cam's personality and energy infectious . . . while there are plenty of stories out there that Tom was not a happy camper last year and his sour #### demeanor was not well received by his team. We'll see how things go moving forward, but a lot of folks are saying things have been more enjoyable with Cam so far. Maybe it's still the honeymoon period . . .

The only real mistake was the int. The mistake was telegraphing because he was looking that was before the ball was snapped and never stopped staring at Byrd. It didn’t help that Byrd put up no compete for the ball... but he may have slipped on the play. I don’t know. 

On the flip side I thought he was great converting some of those tough third downs. 

I heard on first take today that Cam is 16 of 20 inside the 2 yard line with goal to go. That’s 80 percent. If Johnson didn’t get blown up it probably is a drag linemen into the end zone. I noticed they brought in Onwenu and ran over his side. But credit to Seattle, the made just a couple extra great plays than the Pats. Literally a game of inches. I’m excited about this Pats team and hope for improvement from the young players.

On 9/21/2020 at 2:14 PM, fightingillini said:

I understand Cam has scored a couple of TDs with this play.  But Seattle was clearly ready for it.  I would just want to have multiple options from a full 2 yards out....Cam keep it himself, Cam hands to RB, or pass.

If it were from the 1 or inside the 1, yeah to have to run this play and if Seattle stops it, good for them.

I believe they had scored a TD already with the pass version of that play.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, fightingillini said:

It really was a horrible play call....I mean when u telegraph a play on the GL, in the NFL, it's going to fail more times than not.....and it's not like they had another shot.  That was it!

You spread em out, give Cam options, and make the defense guess.......I mean Cam rolling out looking for the pass, and then taking on a couple guys to get in the EZ.....those seem like better odds, don't they?

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 6:18 PM, Chaz McNulty said:

I judge the rest of the season on the fact that Belichick has gotten quality numbers for years and years out of any backup QB he had to start from time to time, and he now has Cam Newton. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 9:18 AM, massraider said:

I judge the rest of the season on the fact that Belichick has gotten quality numbers for years and years out of any backup QB he had to start from time to time, and he now has Cam Newton. 

He doesn't want Cam passing 44 times in game again, I can guarantee that. He's smart enough to know how to get the most out of a mobile quarterback, unlike a lot of other coaches. 

5 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

He doesn't want Cam passing 44 times in game again, I can guarantee that. He's smart enough to know how to get the most out of a mobile quarterback, unlike a lot of other coaches. 

If he keeps throwing accurate darts downfield like that, I'd argue all he wants is Cam passing 40x a game.

8 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

30/44/397/1/1.

Cam still throw's an occasional errant short ball, but he figured out how to be an accurate passer in 2018.  But folks still want to classify him based on earlier in his career.

10 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

I agree with you.  Really has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.  Cam can do more damage with 25 pass attempts than most can do with 35, so what do I care how often he throws? 

I think there was a ton of huffing and puffing about Cam being cooked for a long time now, and in week 1, Belichick showed Cam was just fine, and a viable fantasy QB.

It was all done on the ground, and before Cam is Done Truthers could even start with their "b-b-b-ut rushing TDs-regression-sustainable-passing yardage" argument, Cam dropped 44 passes and 400 yards on them week 2.  

SO:  Killed on the ground week 1.  Killed in the air week 2.  Has had a weird offseason with no preseason, now has Belichick.  I think arrow is pointing up, and any complaints and warnings about Cam right now are about as valid as the one I used to have about my stripper girlfriend leaving body glitter all over the place.  

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, massraider said:

... and any complaints and warnings about Cam right now are about as valid as the one I used to have about my stripper girlfriend leaving body glitter all over the place.  

I'm dead.

It's way too soon for anyone to start taking victory laps. IMO, Cam is not going to keep getting 2 rushing TD a game and probably won't approach 400 yards passing very often (unless NE gets behind and has no choice but to air it out). Also, league scoring and fantasy scoring have been off the charts so far. Cam is currently the #6 QB in my leagues, but his average scoring total would have ranked #2 last year and more than 5 points more than the #3 QB. Will all QB's continue with hyper fantasy scoring the rest of the year? (That's what happened in 2011 when there was limited training camp.) Put another way, in other seasons, Cam's numbers so far this season would have made him the clear #1 QB by a good margin, yet this year he is only ranked 6th so far (although individual scoring systems will vary).

As we have already seen both this year and in the past, when there has been a limited offseason and limited training camps, injuries typically go through the roof. That really is a thing . . . I am not just pulling that out of thin air. Cam looked great for half of the 2018 season, got dinged, and limped the rest of the way. So yeah, he's been great after two games and NE looks like they know how to use him correctly, but his health will always be a concern.

As for the crazy projections based off of 2 games, to expect Cam to keep up a pace of almost 4500 passing yards, 1000 rushing yards, and 30+ rushing TD would be silly. He should settle in to both fewer passing yards and fewer rushing yards and start to produce more passing TD instead of rushing TD. In some leagues that might start taking fantasy points away (where rushing totals are worth more than passing totals).

25 minutes ago, massraider said:

I agree with you.  Really has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.  Cam can do more damage with 25 pass attempts than most can do with 35, so what do I care how often he throws? 

I think there was a ton of huffing and puffing about Cam being cooked for a long time now, and in week 1, Belichick showed Cam was just fine, and a viable fantasy QB.

It was all done on the ground, and before Cam is Done Truthers could even start with their "b-b-b-ut rushing TDs-regression-sustainable-passing yardage" argument, Cam dropped 44 passes and 400 yards on them week 2.  

SO:  Killed on the ground week 1.  Killed in the air week 2.  Has had a weird offseason with no preseason, now has Belichick.  I think arrow is pointing up, and any complaints and warnings about Cam right now are about as valid as the one I used to have about my stripper girlfriend leaving body glitter all over the place.  

I wasn't really complaining. But it does make me mad when your stripper girlfriend leaves glitter all over the place at my house. Nobody cares about my problems though.

Only I meant was the Pats will not use Cam the same way Carolina did. They won't just put him into the same offense as when they had Brady, ignoring the fact they have a mobile quarterback. This what dumb people like Bill O'Brian do. I'm saying this offense will look more like week 1 than week 2 most of the time. For example, Lamar Jackson proved he could pass well against the Titans in the playoffs, like 400 yards of passes. The Ravens didn't abandon their read option offense though. They don't want Jackson doing that even though he can. Their offense is a lot better when they run and pass.

Edited by cloppbeast

2 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

I wasn't really complaining. But it does make me mad when your stripper girlfriend leaves glitter all over the place at my house. Nobody cares about my problems though.

Only I meant was the Pats will not use Cam the same way Carolina did. They won't just put him into the same offense as when they had Brady, ignoring the fact they have a mobile quarterback. This what dumb people like Bill O'Brian do. I'm saying this offense will look more like week 1 than week 2 most of the time. For example, Lamar Jackson proved he could pass well against the Titans in the playoffs, like 400 yards of passes. The Ravens didn't abandon their read option offense though. They don't want Jackson doing that even though he can.

I didn't think you were really complaining.  

6 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

It's way too soon for anyone to start taking victory laps. IMO, Cam is not going to keep getting 2 rushing TD a game and probably won't approach 400 yards passing very often

Sage advice for those of you that were projecting 35 rushing TDs and 6,000 passing yards.  

1 hour ago, massraider said:

... and any complaints and warnings about Cam right now are about as valid as the one I used to have about my stripper girlfriend leaving body glitter all over the place.  

Murdered me at work with this.  Was in the middle of a meeting when I giggled out loud reading that.  It was worth the stare I got from the boss.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ninogaggi said:

Murdered me at work with this.  Was in the middle of a meeting when I giggled out loud reading that.  It was worth the stare I got from the boss.  

Yup. I'm glad I didn't have my coffee cup in my mouth when I read that.

Cam Newton completed 17-of-28 passes for 162 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Patriots' 36-20, Week 3 win over the Raiders.

He rushed nine times for just 27 scoreless yards on the ground, watching Rex Burkhead score two times from five-yard line and in. With Burkhead scoring those short touchdowns, it sapped any and all of the upside from Newton's potential fantasy line. Cam was just off a little bit for most of the day, struggling to find open receivers or running room with his legs. We still expect Newton to lead this team in rushing scores by season's end. Look for a rebound performance in a potential shootout with the Chiefs in Week 4.

Sep 27, 2020, 4:50 PM ET

Posted (edited)

Tested positive for covid. Out for this week according to Shefter

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

Whether the Pats play or not, Cam is out so I am now taking two 0's in the QB position in two of the national contest leagues. Because I have a 2nd QB (guess I should have had 3) who had a forced bye this week. Ben. If they don't play KC this weekend this thing is blowing up.

Probably not going to happen, but the NFL should consider shutting down for a week or two. 

• Like 1

Just now, Man In The Box said:

Probably not going to happen, but the NFL should consider shutting down for a week or two. 

yeah

3 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

That would help the 50% of the league with hammies. I’m for it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Man In The Box said:

In theory that probably isn't a bad idea, though if they did, I think it'd be fair to waive IR guys as timed served, basically meaning guys who were put on 3 week IR, can come back early, and not have to miss 3 games. 

3 hours ago, TenMidgets said:

I'm starting to wonder if this season is going to be doable!

Well, we knew it was going to be a big challenge.  They did super great the first 2 weeks, but not sure what's going on now apart from the fact that it's very difficult to be in a full-contact sport, not in a bubble, in the midst of a raging national pandemic.

4 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

Well, we knew it was going to be a big challenge.

I think NFL should have redrawn the schedules this summer - giving every team 2 byes - which would have given them much more flexibility in terms of re-arranging games in mid-season.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Truebluey said:

Well, we knew it was going to be a big challenge.  They did super great the first 2 weeks, but not sure what's going on now apart from the fact that it's very difficult to be in a full-contact sport, not in a bubble, in the midst of a raging national pandemic.

The lack of a bubble was just foolish. There was zero reason not to.

10 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Between players, practice squad, players on IR, coaches, trainers, other team personnel there are probably 100 people per team. That’s 3200 people without any family members. Then you have game day people . . . Refs, stadium and field personnel, time keepers, broadcast people, media, vendors, hotel and food prep people, etc. There would probably be 5000+ people needing to be kept together for 6 months. Sure, that would have been the safest option, but how feasible would that be?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Between players, practice squad, players on IR, coaches, trainers, other team personnel there are probably 100 people per team. That’s 3200 people without any family members. Then you have game day people . . . Refs, stadium and field personnel, time keepers, broadcast people, media, vendors, hotel and food prep people, etc. There would probably be 5000+ people needing to be kept together for 6 months. Sure, that would have been the safest option, but how feasible would that be?

It would take a ton of effort and $$$, but maybe the owners could make 10 billion instead of 15 this year.  

2 minutes ago, cockroach said:

It would take a ton of effort and $$$, but maybe the owners could make 10 billion instead of 15 this year.  

I’m not sure how. They would have had to pick up the tab. It cost the NBA $150 million to put up not even 10% of that many people for half the time (and half the teams were gone after a month). The NFL owners would have had no fans in attendance at all (instead of the few they are having now). On top of that, how would they have enough fields for 32 teams to practice and play? The point being, they wouldn’t have any additional revenue, would lose some ticket revenue, but would have a giant bubble bill.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, travdogg said:

there were more reasons not to do it than to do it. logistically it's a nightmare. nba players had issue with it for a few weeks let alone 17 weeks. plus what big ### bubble is going to accomodate all the players and staff? not realistic

you guys are talking about the dollars, but you have to think of the human factor as well. these guys aren't going to buy into it even if it's an economic possibility, and I don't blame them.

Edited by Buffaloes

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Patriots QB Cam Newton is unlikely to play in Week 5 against the Broncos after he tested positive for COVID-19 this week.

Newton needs to test negative on two occasions after the virus leaves his body. He will only have a week to do so before the Patriots face Denver in Week 5. That means Bryan Hoyer is set to notch to more starts for New England. Hoyer is a veteran of the New England system but is undoubtedly a downgrade over Newton, even as a passer. Julian Edelman is still a starting fantasy player in all formats while N'Keal Harry is worth playing at flex in deeper leagues.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 4, 2020, 8:36 AM ET

46 minutes ago, Faust said:

Keep in mind he has a bye (with the current schedule) week 6.  Pretend he's got a 3 week injury at this point (if your league has a 15 day IR spot or something).