Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

16 minutes ago, Bonfire said:

A combination of Wheat Pennies,  Blockbuster Video, and scratch-off lotto tickets.

Honestly though I'd invest heavily in CBD oil locations in local strip malls.

6 hours ago, matuski said:

Honestly though I'd invest heavily in CBD oil locations in local strip malls.

Everyone and their brother has a CBD company these days.  

:bag:

Window is too small at this point before the big box retailers crush the market.

Basically every vape store is a CBD store now.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

Window is too small at this point before the big box retailers crush the market.

I was being sarcastic.

20 hours ago, culdeus said:

Basically like this:

Farmers run on razor thin margins as it is even with subsidies.

Part of the farm bill and trade bill which we got China to sign off on was they would take soybeans to a point, even though they really didn't need to. It could in their mind free up more land for other stuff and they could put people in factories.  

Soybeans are vital to corn farmers because they can only grow corn 3 out of 4 rotations then they have to put something there, options are basically hay, soy, or just let it sit.  Soy being a cash crop was free money to these guys.  So it was the perfect marriage.  It was like the farm bill on steroids.

So china has quit buying soy.  Most of it is going in the trash or being turned under right now.  So the farmers that are on rotation 1 or 2 are fine, the ones that came into it on rotation 4 are already screwed and 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-14/u-s-soy-exports-won-t-reach-pre-trade-war-levels-for-years

The downstream effect if this continues on is massive because then it drives up corn->Cows/Pigs/Chickens/Dairy and has downstream effect of pulling hay fields into crop lands etc.  Since everything is on futures right now the effect hasn't been seen at the supermarket, but the clock is ticking.

Interesting. Hmmm. So what’s the play?

59 minutes ago, matuski said:

I was being sarcastic.

Apologies.  I'm like a child wandering into a movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcnfinance said:

It has the potential to upset the currency market.  Bigly.

In the short term you won't see consumer staples get hit, but this has the potential to really hammer the CPI down the road and with inflation and with China needing to sell our bonds the fed would be in a really bad spot.

4 hours ago, hooter311 said:

What's the "picks and shovels" of the industry? 

13 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

What's the "picks and shovels" of the industry? 

Biggest roadblock is you can't advertise on facebook or sell on amazon unless you white label your CBD product as "hemp oil" instead.  So you have essentially the same product being sold across the country under completely different names.

I'm a "quality" guy so we went the route of superior ingredients and didn't focus on competing on cost.  Made a major mistake of accidentally including the word 'Organic" in our initial corporation filing and had to ditch it immediately to avoid extra red tape with labeling.  Prefer to learn trial by fire rather than pay for knowledge.

Initial investment was about 7 months ago, our pet product sales are outpacing for human consumption by about 4 to 1.  Other main markets are Seniors and high income millennials.  Seems to be hard for people to get on the routine of taking the oil daily even if they are experiencing results.  Not seeing the "membership economy" results whatsoever with the human focused oil based products yet.

Used the corporation to buy up a few hundred cbd related domain names, I enjoy starting my days declining offers and responding with 6 figure counters but haven't scored anything yet worth bragging about.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, rascal said:

Got $200k in cash.  Thoughts on investing it?  Moderate risk level.  Would use to make roth ira contributions for wife/myself (already did 2019).

BTC.  

You don't even need to thank me, would be nice to have more people to toast when I'm on vacation.

UBER is a dead horse.  There's maybe a 24 month window left before human drivers start being eliminated exponentially from the short distance transportation sector.

3 hours ago, bcnfinance said:

Hay fields across the midwest were winter killed.  Behind on planting for nearly all crops.  Milk prices at historic lows.  Feeding high priced corn and hay to create low priced milk is going to make this a very hard summer/fall on the ag industry.  Work with hundreds of farmers and coudn't name one of them expecting to run in the black this year.

No angle, just empathy for the farmers across the nation.

Organic fresh water shrimp, that's how we're making our next million, Mortimer.

19 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

UBER is a dead horse.  There's maybe a 24 month window left before human drivers start being eliminated exponentially from the short distance transportation sector.

Huh?

19 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

Huh? 

Autonomous vehicles going door to door, 24/7/365 is at least 20 years away 

29 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

Biggest roadblock is you can't advertise on facebook or sell on amazon unless you white label your CBD product as "hemp oil" instead.  So you have essentially the same product being sold across the country under completely different names.

I'm a "quality" guy so we went the route of superior ingredients and didn't focus on competing on cost.  Made a major mistake of accidentally including the word 'Organic" in our initial corporation filing and had to ditch it immediately to avoid extra red tape with labeling.  Prefer to learn trial by fire rather than pay for knowledge.

Initial investment was about 7 months ago, our pet product sales are outpacing for human consumption by about 4 to 1.  Other main markets are Seniors and high income millennials.  Seems to be hard for people to get on the routine of taking the oil daily even if they are experiencing results.  Not seeing the "membership economy" results whatsoever with the human focused oil based products yet.

Used the corporation to buy up a few hundred cbd related domain names, I enjoy starting my days declining offers and responding with 6 figure counters but haven't scored anything yet worth bragging about.

Yeah, so, what is the "picks and shovels"? 

5 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Huh? 

Autonomous vehicles going door to door, 24/7/365 is at least 20 years away 

Nothing is at least 20 years away, my friend.  Not one thing.

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Yeah, so, what is the "picks and shovels"? 

Forgive me for being dense.  You mean tools used for production?

Hemp in Wisconsin is combined and creates an absolute sticky mess.  Long ways to go before we know what the best harvesting practices are going to be a few years from now.  The key to product integrity with CBD is the cold press process.  Any heat can weaken the active ingredients at a cellular level.  Right now the cutoff for THC concentration is .3% and hopefully that will get raised to 1% in the near future with increased state legalization.

If we're talking the same language finally, I think the opportunity your looking for is the company that can produce the highest quality and efficient LED lights for the indoor grow rooms across the country.  The perfect storm of tech/marketing fueling a company's exponential growth in that sector hasn't occurred yet from my observation.

12 hours ago, rascal said:

Got $200k in cash.  Thoughts on investing it?  Moderate risk level.  Would use to make roth ira contributions for wife/myself (already did 2019).

You'd really not do better (or safer) than putting it all into the $SPY or $VTI.  Both provide diversification across sectors and quite frankly outperforms pretty much every single common portfolio strategy out there - usually by a large margin. How much so?  Here's a sample from 2007-Present (which takes into account the top of a bull market thru a bear market then a long term bull market- High -Low - High.

1) $SPY= CAGR = 8.28% - $200k invested in 2007 = $530k today

2) $VTI = CAGR = 8.5% - $200k invested in 2007 = $545k today

2) Ray Dalios All Weather Portfolio = CAGR = 5.96% - $200k invested in 2007 = $410k today

3) Coffeehouse Portfolio = CAGR = 5.65% - $200k invested in 2007 = $395k today

4) Bogleheads 3 Funds Portfolio = CAGR = 6.1% - $200k invested in 2007 = $415k today

Granted past performance is no guarantee of future returns.  But don't be stupid with this money and chase. 

To be safer - perhaps look at putting a portion to work now - let's say $50k.  And then dollar cost averaging $10k per month for the next 15 months with the rest.

There's no real easy answer but $200k is a lot to just be sitting on or you're really rich.  LOOK AT YOU!  Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 1:25 PM, stbugs said:

Damn, almost wish I shoved all in. Up almost double what I was earlier. I can live with leaving 40% of my cash in cash based on at least pushing in more than half. I’m sure it’ll drop tomorrow after running up today but I like the stocks I got at a nice discount in the past week or so.

Double damn. More happy I pushed in more than half my chips than upset I didn’t push in all because there could easily be another worse dip. Up a lot in two days. Wasn’t expecting that. I was expecting a pull back today.

1 hour ago, hooter311 said:

Forgive me for being dense.  You mean tools used for production?

Hemp in Wisconsin is combined and creates an absolute sticky mess.  Long ways to go before we know what the best harvesting practices are going to be a few years from now.  The key to product integrity with CBD is the cold press process.  Any heat can weaken the active ingredients at a cellular level.  Right now the cutoff for THC concentration is .3% and hopefully that will get raised to 1% in the near future with increased state legalization.

If we're talking the same language finally, I think the opportunity your looking for is the company that can produce the highest quality and efficient LED lights for the indoor grow rooms across the country.  The perfect storm of tech/marketing fueling a company's exponential growth in that sector hasn't occurred yet from my observation.

Yeah. The old phrase "The way to make money in a gold rush is sell picks & shovels". Like, Bitcoin... everyone wants to rush in and mine it? So buy stock in NVIDIA because that's what all the prospectors & speculators are buying when they chase their dreams. Some will win, most will go bust, but NVIDIA was the play.

I hear Scott's Miracle Grow is a tangential play. LED lights would be a good one. Who makes them?

15 hours ago, rascal said:

I mean I am more curious how you are sitting on 200k in cash yet are still able to fund roth through the front door.  

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Yeah. The old phrase "The way to make money in a gold rush is sell picks & shovels". Like, Bitcoin... everyone wants to rush in and mine it? So buy stock in NVIDIA because that's what all the prospectors & speculators are buying when they chase their dreams. Some will win, most will go bust, but NVIDIA was the play.

I hear Scott's Miracle Grow is a tangential play. LED lights would be a good one. Who makes them?

Lumigrow out of California probably has the highest quality product at the moment, but still private.  Without a multinational corporation leading the market currently, quality and efficiency are all over the places.  Lot of high dollar operations still relying on cheap chinese knockoff garbage at the moment.

Losing my shirt on a BTC mining initiative 3-4 years ago was worth the lesson in scarcity when it comes to the currency.  With energy costs, anyone on this side of the planet is wasting resources by devoting anything to mining.  The exponential difficulty in mining in order to support the blockchain still hasn't been fully realized.

I was going to respond with "General Hydroponics is the benchmark" when it comes to nutrients, but a few minutes of research tells me that was one of the big purchases leading to Scott's Miracle grow potential.

https://www.newcannabisventures.com/scotts-miracle-gro-general-hydro-gavita/

Thank you for being patient with me today, this all of a sudden became my favorite conversation today.  SMG is going to be a major long term position for me.

6 hours ago, hooter311 said:

Nothing is at least 20 years away, my friend.  Not one thing.

2039, coming in July!!

• Like 3

I feel like I’m holding my breath everyday, expecting another 3% drop. Instead of buying on the dip, I think I’m going to be selling on this minor recovery. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, pecorino said:

I feel like I’m holding my breath everyday, expecting another 3% drop. Instead of buying on the dip, I think I’m going to be selling on this minor recovery. 

I know what you are saying, I’m worried about a big drop. That’s why I only put in a little over half my cash in on Monday (waited till end of the day). I did have specific stocks I’d been watching and I bought 3 that I really like long term and two had good earnings but dropped a bunch over the past couple weeks. One’s up 14.5%, one 13.2% and the “laggard” is up 9.7% in two days. I’m glad I jumped and I’m glad I’ve still got enough to DCA if the market does fall down again.

Edited by stbugs

21 hours ago, rascal said:

Precious metals and LEGO's.

1 hour ago, Mario Kart said:

Precious metals and LEGO's.

Was it cobalt a bunch of guys in here invested in?

How did that end up going? I didn’t read the thread for a long time. 

I inherited the money.  The $200k is what's left after eliminating all debt, sans house, some modest home improvements, funding Roth's for 2018, starting 529s, and a family vacation.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, siffoin said:

You'd really not do better (or safer) than putting it all into the $SPY or $VTI.  Both provide diversification across sectors and quite frankly outperforms pretty much every single common portfolio strategy out there - usually by a large margin. How much so?  Here's a sample from 2007-Present (which takes into account the top of a bull market thru a bear market then a long term bull market- High -Low - High.

1) $SPY= CAGR = 8.28% - $200k invested in 2007 = $530k today

2) $VTI = CAGR = 8.5% - $200k invested in 2007 = $545k today

2) Ray Dalios All Weather Portfolio = CAGR = 5.96% - $200k invested in 2007 = $410k today

3) Coffeehouse Portfolio = CAGR = 5.65% - $200k invested in 2007 = $395k today

4) Bogleheads 3 Funds Portfolio = CAGR = 6.1% - $200k invested in 2007 = $415k today

Granted past performance is no guarantee of future returns.  But don't be stupid with this money and chase. 

To be safer - perhaps look at putting a portion to work now - let's say $50k.  And then dollar cost averaging $10k per month for the next 15 months with the rest.

There's no real easy answer but $200k is a lot to just be sitting on or you're really rich.  LOOK AT YOU!  Good luck.

Just got lucky...tks!

You mentioned $spy and $vti.  Wouldn't $voo be more comparable to $spy?

Like the dollar cost averaging idea.  Thanks!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rascal said:

I inherited the money.  The $200k is what's left after eliminating all debt, sans house, some modest home improvements, funding Roth's for 2018, starting 529s, and a family vacation.

How much was the hooker budget?

Just now, culdeus said:

How much was the hooker budget?

I'm actually happily married to a hot wife who likes, or at least pretends well enough, to have sex.  Some women get sexier as they age.  Mine is one.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rascal said:

9/30 $MU 90c

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/

Holy crap. Up almost 20% on the 3 stocks I bought Monday afternoon and I bought a lot. Was definitely looking for a good price to go long term but certainly not thinking a big jump short term.

Has anything changed on the Trump/China angle or just the normal bounce from low algorithm buying?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Holy crap. Up almost 20% on the 3 stocks I bought Monday afternoon and I bought a lot. Was definitely looking for a good price to go long term but certainly not thinking a big jump short term.

Has anything changed on the Trump/China angle or just the normal bounce from low algorithm buying?

It is so weird how last week it was the end of the world and now we’re all back to making fat stacks again. 

Uber short-term hasn’t been bad. Tempted to sell and take the quick cash.

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

It is so weird how last week it was the end of the world and now we’re all back to making fat stacks again. 

I got UBER at IPO price of $45 and have trimmed half of my position today at $43.  It was looking ugly for a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

I am a little tempted but I don’t want to miss a run and I’m actually long term here so it just gives me a nicer buffer if the market takes a dive. Only way I’d sell these is if the make a huge run and the future growth reward isn’t there and I like something else better. I’ll ride for a while and see. 

9 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

I got UBER at IPO price of $45 and have trimmed half of my position today at $43.  It was looking ugly for a bit.

Got it at 38. Good show so far. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I am a little tempted but I don’t want to miss a run and I’m actually long term here so it just gives me a nicer buffer if the market takes a dive. Only way I’d sell these is if the make a huge run and the future growth reward isn’t there and I like something else better. I’ll ride for a while and see. 

Long-term on uber? I’m not. But I’m not selling for a while. It’ll get into the 60s imo. 

Was hoping DOCU would see $50 to buy more.  I'm sure a recession would put a dent in their business, but I'm not sure what else is likely to in the near future.

14 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Was it cobalt a bunch of guys in here invested in?

How did that end up going? I didn’t read the thread for a long time. 

About how you would have expected it to go.

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Capella said:

Long-term on uber? I’m not. But I’m not selling for a while. It’ll get into the 60s imo. 

6 month lock up period is concerning to me.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/11/travis-kalanick-who-was-ousted-from-uber-will-be-worth-billions.html

Not sure how that will be factored into the price and when.

12 minutes ago, Sand said:

About how you would have expected it to go.

Depends how long you held

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Capella said:

Not you, me.

18 hours ago, rascal said:

Just got lucky...tks!

You mentioned $spy and $vti.  Wouldn't $voo be more comparable to $spy?

Like the dollar cost averaging idea.  Thanks!

Congratulations on the inheritance.  It is a wonderful gift, and it sounds to me like you want to be a good steward of the money as a show of respect towards the person you inherited the money from.  Way to go!

Yes. $SPY and $VOO are essentially the same thing.  They are ETFs comprised of the top 500 Companies by Market Cap.  Right now they are weighted heavily in tech - so when you buy one of these that means you essentially own shares of Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Facebook as well as all the other top 500 companies out there.  It is not sector specific - so there is tech, energy, financial, etc. The ETF is weighted towards to Mega Caps.  $VTI, on the other hand, is made up of +3000 stocks from Large, Mid, Small Cap companies.  There are times when Mid and Small Cap stocks outperform Large Cap - so with $VTI there is some greater level of diversification. But overall - in a very long term buy and hold situation - either one will be just fine.

Having that $200k as a foundation investment - also opens you up to a lot of freedom with the rest of how you invest.  And (again free advice) I would look into perhaps using that to take on higher risk higher reward positions.  For example - let's say you have another $100k available to invest (a $300k total portfolio).  With that you might want to begin to research some sectors you believe with have huge payoffs 5-10 years down the road.   You are going to need to hit a HR every now and then.  Again - I'd look into sector ETFs of future-focused technologies.

Again.  Way to go.  Me mindful of the market.  Be patient.  And when opportunity presents - go after it aggressively.

• Like 4

I was all over BIDU in the low 150s. D’oh. Looks like it’ll be on deep discount tomorrow. Down almost 10% on earnings. Buy?