What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (22 Viewers)

I want to add more AAPL - what's a good entry point?  If it gets back to around the SMA(50) I might just add more at that point - or are we anticipating more pain?

I really feel like I have enough AAPL and AMZN and SE but this is getting tempting. 

Of course DIS won't freaking budge and that's really what I want more of. 

what is SMA?
SMA = simple moving average.  I'm a newbie to stock trading but I look at the charts with the 20, 50, and 200 SMA (and I've also added the ECA (exponential moving average) 34 and 89 based on @siffoin recommendation a while back).  There is way more to reading charts that this, but it basically shows you the current price relative to recent prices over different time periods (20, 50 and 200 days/whatever).

Not that it's my intent to compare the two as companies, but I just looked and it looks like AMZN's highest P/E ratio was 3732.  TSLA is currently at 1008.

I'm wondering at what price Tesla becomes attractive. I made a bunch trading it after the split announcement and still have a teensy bit left, but like I mentioned above if the valuation were even semi fair there is a lot to like as the current industry leader in an industry that will almost certainly be a $4+ trillion industry within the next 20 years. And that's before we consider the other likely trillion dollar industries they are reasonably well positioned in. 
I’m not trying to jump on Tesla, but what was AMZN’s earnings number at that point? I mean if it was pennies positive it can skew that number. Tesla was going to get included into the S&P for having 4 straight profitable quarters making it seem like it’s got a more real PE ratio. I answered someone’s quote about when Amazon was worth closer to what Tesla was worth and then having the same revenue and it wasn’t true. When Amazon was closer to Tesla’s market cap, they had a much higher revenue number (can’t recall but it was in the 5-10x). We’ve even seen giant earnings numbers from Amazon this past quarter even though they were still investing heavily in one day and Covid prep and even though they have actually been focusing on reinvesting their PE ratio is still around 1/9th Tesla’s.

I’m definitely not bagging on Tesla but their run up from about $900 to $2500 was very artificial and that’s the big issue and why I felt like they in particular would fall a lot.

And it will keep dropping.......it is happening. I was telling some clients it looks like the Hindenburg......and it very well may be from a stock price valuation perspective.  It will be a snowball effect. All that "Johnny come lately” money that came in way after the actual trade and chased this thing  will get rocked here and panic on the price will set in.
It’s funny because it could make a lot of other stuff a nice buy. People just look at Tesla as one of the big dogs as if they are the same but only Apple got a jump due to the split and only Tesla also got a huge bump from S&P inclusion.

I’m going to get whacked today but not surprising with the run ups but I may start buying a few longer term companies that I didn’t buy before. I’m long term and if I jumped out in June and end of July when these stocks got hit then I would have missed out on the rebounds.

If I decide to jump out of one stock that’s done well the past few days then I’ll have a nice war chest in my IRA and taxable account. I’m thinking about leaving more cash in the taxable account because short term taxes suck.

Not that it's my intent to compare the two as companies, but I just looked and it looks like AMZN's highest P/E ratio was 3732.  TSLA is currently at 1008.

I'm wondering at what price Tesla becomes attractive. I made a bunch trading it after the split announcement and still have a teensy bit left, but like I mentioned above if the valuation were even semi fair there is a lot to like as the current industry leader in an industry that will almost certainly be a $4+ trillion industry within the next 20 years. And that's before we consider the other likely trillion dollar industries they are reasonably well positioned in. 
MOAT

And Amazon crashed way back when....people forget that. 

As to the bolded, I am not so sure that will always be true. And that is where the risk really is. The competition is going to become fierce in that industry. While it is true that everyone else is playing catch up.....I simply do not see everyone on the planet wanting to drive a Tesla. I know I would never ever purchase one. Don’t like the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not trying to jump on Tesla, but what was AMZN’s earnings number at that point? I mean if it was pennies positive it can skew that number. Tesla was going to get included into the S&P for having 4 straight profitable quarters making it seem like it’s got a more real PE ratio. I answered someone’s quote about when Amazon was worth closer to what Tesla was worth and then having the same revenue and it wasn’t true. When Amazon was closer to Tesla’s market cap, they had a much higher revenue number (can’t recall but it was in the 5-10x). We’ve even seen giant earnings numbers from Amazon this past quarter even though they were still investing heavily in one day and Covid prep and even though they have actually been focusing on reinvesting their PE ratio is still around 1/9th Tesla’s.

I’m definitely not bagging on Tesla but their run up from about $900 to $2500 was very artificial and that’s the big issue and why I felt like they in particular would fall a lot.
That is why I used the Hindenburg visual. The Run-up has been so artificial that it has nowhere else to go but end badly (explode in a bad way) for a lot who do not sell and hang on....and get emotionally attached. There are die hard cult like stock holders out there of TSLA. 

Yeah AMZN is a totally different animal. Can people live without Amazon? I venture to say that is becoming more and more likely that people will not want to live without having Amazon part of their daily life......can people live without a Tesla? Absolutely. I will never own one. Ever. How many people have Apple and Google as part of their daily life?

That is what I am talking about.

MOAT.

I want to add more AAPL - what's a good entry point?  If it gets back to around the SMA(50) I might just add more at that point - or are we anticipating more pain?
Same here.  What is the price at the 50 SMA (50) point?  I wanted some at the split but waited.  

That is why I used the Hindenburg visual. The Run-up has been so artificial that it has nowhere else to go but end badly (explode in a bad way) for a lot who do not sell and hang on....and get emotionally attached. There are die hard cult like stock holders out there of TSLA. 

Yeah AMZN is a totally different animal. Can people live without Amazon? I venture to say that is becoming more and more likely that people will not want to live without having Amazon part of their daily life......can people live without a Tesla? Absolutely. I will never own one. Ever. How many people have Apple and Google as part of their daily life?

MOAT.
I obviously want Amazon to go up, but I have found that I am ordering so much more from them every week. I checked Lacrosse prices for balls and a goal and just bought from Amazon. ****’s was not only more expensive but it’s a 25 minute drive rather than having things dropped off. My dog goes nuts but I even bundle to get digital credits and get one box instead of 5.

MOAT.
True enough, but you could definitely live without Amazon back in 2015 when its market cap was what Tesla's is now. 

Also part of the bull case on TSLA is that you may one day use it indirectly the way many indirectly use something like Google. Not everyone has a pixel phone. And a decade or two from now not driving a Tesla car doesn't mean you won't be charging up at a Tesla power station, or driving something with a Tesla battery in it, or using power provided by Tesla solar farms, etc. 

Again I realize much of this is priced in at its ceiling already, but if it gets reasonably priced in the future there are definitely a lot of routes to Tesla becoming one of those staple companies one day. 

And that's before we consider that, while volatile, they're run by a guy who is constantly 10 steps ahead of the world. Heck he'd probably be running the world banking industry right now if his partners at PayPal weren't stupid enough to decide that online banking would never be a thing and they should just settle on being a crappy online payment processor for eBay instead. 

True enough, but you could definitely live without Amazon back in 2015 when its market cap was what Tesla's is now. 

Also part of the bull case on TSLA is that you may one day use it indirectly the way many indirectly use something like Google now. Not everyone has a pixel phone. And a decade or two from now not driving a Tesla car doesn't mean you won't be charging up at a Tesla power station, or driving something with a Tesla battery in it, or using power provided by Tesla solar farms, etc. 

Again I realize much of this is priced in at its ceiling already, but if it gets reasonably priced in the future there are definitely a lot of routes to Tesla becoming one of those staple companies one day. 

And that's before we consider that, while volatile, they're run by a guy who is constantly 10 steps ahead of the world. Heck he'd probably be running the world banking industry right now if his partners at PayPal weren't stupid enough to decide that online banking would never be a thing and they should just settle on being a crappy online payment processor for eBay instead. 
I agree on that. I just need to see a more reasonable valuation. These levels are simply insane for me personally. The company is legit. Make no doubt about that. But the stock price is completely out of control.......and with Amazon.....I believed in the company model a lot more than Tesla’s. It still remains to be seen if all that comes to fruition for Tesla....couple that with a highly eccentric CEO who this company was built by.....it is just superbly risky. But that is the essence of capitalism.

Its all good. 

Getting slammed today in the market while I sit on the beach apparently
Nice.....enjoy. This is a blip. A normal breather that was long overdue in a sector that simply was going way high....way fast.

Nikola and GM team up to make this 900-horsepower super electric truck

NKLA up nicely to start the day.  Interesting that they will use Ultium battery technology which is what GM and Honda are using.  That battery plant is set to be in Lordstown which makes me wonder why Lordstown Motors wasn't the partner in this deal.
I was wondering if this would be bad news for DPHC. GM owns part of them and sold them the Lordstown plant.

Also, what’s the point of Nikola? GM is making the truck and it’s using GM’s battery and Nikola gave GM 11% of the company. Makes me feel like GM is getting the best of this deal as if Nikola had only a design and GM is just doing everything else. I assume GM doesn’t want to get in on the long hauler part of Nikola.

Nice.....enjoy. This is a blip. A normal breather that was long overdue in a sector that simply was going way high....way fast.
Completely agree. Although it kinda hurts.

I sold off just a bit last week, now trying to decide whether to buy bonds, preferred stock, or maybe something like VPU as a source of stability for the next couple years (these are college accounts). I'm really not a fan of gold or bitcoin. 

Yep. Normal cycle. It happened in June and end of July. This is a bit bigger but thanks to CYDY I’m down less than the S&P even as tech heavy as I am. That’s a win for today. Sold off 2/3rds of what I had left of CYDY at $5.10 to lock in more profits (sold first third at $6.40, didn’t realize that was the peak after big drop). Fattens up my cash position to about 15% of my trading accounts. 401ks just run as is.

I'm somehow up 1% across all my accounts today despite large exposure to tech. What that tells me is that I own way too much CYDY. 
Lol. I sold 2/3rds of what I had left at $5.07-5.10. I said last week that I’d be ecstatic to get it back up over $5 after seeing it in the $2s again recently. I think I’m technically up .3, hard to tell since what I sold is gone from the %s and it was up 15% when I sold it.

May be a good day to start bleeding in some of my 401K funds sitting in cash from the PPP.  I'd been planning on bleeding in some on each 15th for the rest of the year but we've been in a straight line up pretty much since the funds settled.

May be a good day to start bleeding in some of my 401K funds sitting in cash from the PPP.  I'd been planning on bleeding in some on each 15th for the rest of the year but we've been in a straight line up pretty much since the funds settled.
I bled in a bit of IVV this morning.  I haven't bought anything in a while and cash is piling up now that I don't have a house payment.  Holding off on QQQ for the moment - it was quite overextended.  Hopefully will get the chance to ease into that one soon, as well. 

I was wondering if this would be bad news for DPHC. GM owns part of them and sold them the Lordstown plant.

Also, what’s the point of Nikola? GM is making the truck and it’s using GM’s battery and Nikola gave GM 11% of the company. Makes me feel like GM is getting the best of this deal as if Nikola had only a design and GM is just doing everything else. I assume GM doesn’t want to get in on the long hauler part of Nikola.
Thought about getting back into NKLA but never did.  I was wondering too what this might do to DPHC.  Also seemed weird to me that NKLA & GM would get together on battery tech.  I really thought GM or F might get involved with some of these new electric vehicle companies, but more for assembly reasons.  

Only action I did today was to add more DKNG when it was under $36.  And sold some CYDY.  

Haven't got involved on UVXY but like to keep a watch on it.  For being a 1.5x tracker of the VIX, it sure sucks at doing it.  #MissYouTVIX

beef said:
Thought about getting back into NKLA but never did.  I was wondering too what this might do to DPHC.  Also seemed weird to me that NKLA & GM would get together on battery tech.  I really thought GM or F might get involved with some of these new electric vehicle companies, but more for assembly reasons.  
It’s just an odd deal since GM is doing the manufacturing and the single biggest component (my humble opinion), the battery, is GM tech. What is Nikola adding to the deal and why ignore Lordstown when you already have a relationship with them? Just odd and honestly not sure how “awesome” it is for Nikola.

I’ll be honest that Nikola has always given me that vapor ware vibe, so it fits my thoughts that GM is doing all the heavy lifting on the pickup truck.

eaganwildcats said:
For those with a gambling streak take a peek at $bmyrt. Either a 4x or 0* in the next 6 months.

*maybe some lawsuit value. 
That’s pretty funky. Never heard of that before.

No but if you bought at $100, you aren’t happy. It’s not tracking ETH price either. GBTC down a lot lately as well.
Definitely not happy.  Easily the biggest whiff of the year.  I have covered some of that loss with day trading it, but not nearly enough.  I don't understand why it's not tracking the ETH price and that's probably a sign I should take my loss and exit.

Users who are viewing this thread