What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (7 Viewers)

Manuel was horrible Sunday, but I think it's largely because of what was asked of him. They want him to be a game manager right now and yet they got behind early and had zero success on the ground. If the offensive line is going to continue to be that terrible, then it's going to be a long head. The RBs were constantly hit in the backfield and Manuel had defenders in his face all day.

And it's a total joke at this point that they absolutely refuse to get Spiller on space. They do a ton of screens with Freddie but almost never do with CJ. It's like they're intentionally not doing it just to try to prove a point or spite fans complaining about it. It's downright farcical at this point.

Painful, Now we have to watch Fitz scramble and make our LB's look even worse than they are.

McMelvin still doesn't know how to defend anything and our secondary looked confused and lost. While their D knew everything that was coming and did a great job calling out the plays all at once.

Hoping we can get to the quarterback with 4, but some creative blitzes would be nice to make Fitz be Fitz

The key to beating the Bills is, IMO, pretty clearly just shutting down the running game and screen game. If you can force EJ Manuel to beat you, you will usually win. The Bills defense is good, above-average, but it's not the '00 Ravens or '85 Bears here. It's a defense capable of stealing a few games but not carrying the team on its back for the entire season. If the running game is on, the passing game thrives. If the running game is off, the passing game flounders. It's just a matter of shutting down the run...which isn't easy.

Oh, and Corey Graham only played 46% of the plays this last week. He wasn't burned once Sunday but the rest of the defense was burned for 5 20+ yard passes. McKelvin and Gilmore were both in for over 80% of the plays.

After the first two weeks of play, that kind of division of playing time is inexcusable. Graham has not only been their best CB so far, he's been one of the best in the entire league. The Bills and their CB rotation is beyond stupid. Gilmore has been mediocre, but McKelvin has been awful. Graham and Gilmore should start and play 95% of the snaps each.

The key to beating the Bills is, IMO, pretty clearly just shutting down the running game and screen game. If you can force EJ Manuel to beat you, you will usually win. The Bills defense is good, above-average, but it's not the '00 Ravens or '85 Bears here. It's a defense capable of stealing a few games but not carrying the team on its back for the entire season. If the running game is on, the passing game thrives. If the running game is off, the passing game flounders. It's just a matter of shutting down the run...which isn't easy.
So...bench Sammy Watkins for now?

Manuel was horrible Sunday, but I think it's largely because of what was asked of him. They want him to be a game manager right now and yet they got behind early and had zero success on the ground. If the offensive line is going to continue to be that terrible, then it's going to be a long head. The RBs were constantly hit in the backfield and Manuel had defenders in his face all day.

And it's a total joke at this point that they absolutely refuse to get Spiller on space. They do a ton of screens with Freddie but almost never do with CJ. It's like they're intentionally not doing it just to try to prove a point or spite fans complaining about it. It's downright farcical at this point.
The front office made a number of good moves in the off-season, but not sufficiently addressing the interior of the offensive line is going to haunt them for the rest of the year. Maybe Richardson can emerge as a viable starter. Although debuting against JJ Watt isn't the ideal introduction to the league.

How can someone like McKelvin play so good last year and be so terrible this year? Is it Schwartz's system? Did he forget how to cover?

And I'm expecting a lot more from Gilmore as well. He hasn't been playing that great. Graham has easily been our best DB. I'm hoping the staff wakes up and starts playing him more.

Expectations for both F Jax and Spiller this weekend? Houston is allowing over 5 YPC right now, correct? Play ball control and ground and pound it all day?

Can either expect to get 100 yards from scrimmage?

I mean if you look at McKelvin's career, last year was the anomaly, not this year. Also IIRC Buscalia(sp?) of WGR indicated he was pretty lucky where Newton & a few others just missed throws when he got beat.

Non-homers,

Nobody knows when either Spiller or FJax will have a good fantasy game. We do know that the QB, OC, and both Guards stink. Throw darts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expectations for both F Jax and Spiller this weekend? Houston is allowing over 5 YPC right now, correct? Play ball control and ground and pound it all day?

I don't think you can ever expect either guy to get 100 yards from scrimmage given that it's still a bit of a RBBC situation. Spiller, however, has been getting slightly more touches this year and they've been trusting him in the redzone more than last year, so he's a solid RB3/flex play if you have the luxury.

I don't think you can ever expect either guy to get 100 yards from scrimmage given that it's still a bit of a RBBC situation. Spiller, however, has been getting slightly more touches this year and they've been trusting him in the redzone more than last year, so he's a solid RB3/flex play if you have the luxury.
Well, I've got both of the Buffalo RBs and D Martin. Pick one for my RB2....

Well, I've got both of the Buffalo RBs and D Martin. Pick one for my RB2....
I'd give Spiller the nod over Jackson and Marton right now.

I know last week really brought us back to reality (I heard people talking Super Bowl after starting 2-0), but if we can head into the Patriots game 3-2, or possibly (although unlikely) 4-1, then you have to expect the Ralph to be rocking pretty hard for that game. The Patriots are beatable and if we play with the passion we did the first two weeks then I don't see us losing.

I don't feel that great about the Lions game in Detroit, but I don't see a game that's unwinnable until we play Denver week 14. And who knows, maybe we'll be going up against Brock Osweiler by then...

BIG game today, right?

EJ is coming off a brutal game. Can he bounce back to what we saw in week one or two? Or, will he continue on his bounce back to 2013?

The Texans are very beatable. I think this game will really tell us a lot about this team, and the season they are going to have. The result will affect confidence, and set the stage going into the next couple games. I think a loss will result in a 2-4 record after week 6. With a win I think they could easily be 4-2.

Sure. To end the playoffless steak they probably need two of the next three.

I have to admit though I think the sooner Orton plays the better and that would mean another stink bomb from EJ today. Call me inpatient or whatever but it'll be pointless to make the switch when we're 4-5; although like punting from the 40 it would be a very "NFL coach" thing to do.

I have to admit though I think the sooner Orton plays the better and that would mean another stink bomb from EJ today.
Yeah, I had the same thought earlier this week. Another stinker from Manuel might be a blessing in disguise. That said, Id rather just see him continue to play well, and win this game and one of the next two, etc., etc., etc.

Remember, Nix was caught on tape saying "it's a bad year to need a QB". Then we pick a guy who was universally regarded as a massive reach. And now he stinks. Are we supposed to be suprised?

@mikerodak: Marrone: "When we get into games where we throw as much as we did, that gets us into trouble."

Are you freaking kidding me!? 25 passes in the first half to 6 rushes. That's not circumstance, that's game plan.

And the bottom line is that it's not the quantity of passes that is the problem, it's the quality.

I'm willing to forgive a young QB for struggling with reads as he adjusts, but an NFL QB just simply can't have the type of accuracy problems Manuel has. Accuracy issues that big just don't ever get fixed.

If Whaley was serious about this all in for the playoffs stuff, then he needs to show so,e balls and tell Marrone that Orton is starting next week.

I'm willing to forgive a young QB for struggling with reads as he adjusts, but an NFL QB just simply can't have the type of accuracy problems Manuel has. Accuracy issues that big just don't ever get fixed.
I beginning to billieve this. EJ is terrible. NFL QBs, young or old, do not miss wide open WRs. His accuracy is awful.

Just checking in, miserable still even after I had my comfort food pasta.

I'm also going to Detriot next week whose Dline is better than what we just saw.

FML

@mikerodak: J.J. Watt had 9 quarterback hits on EJ Manuel today. The Bears, Dolphins, and Charges combined for 8 in Weeks 1-3.
Well at least he stood in there and handled the pressure well. Oh, wait.

Edit: So apparently we had almost twice as many pass attempts as rush attempts, against a team that has a poor rush defense but excellent pass rush. In a game when we were almost never more than one score down. WTF?

@mikerodak: J.J. Watt had 9 quarterback hits on EJ Manuel today. The Bears, Dolphins, and Charges combined for 8 in Weeks 1-3.
Well at least he stood in there and handled the pressure well. Oh, wait.

Edit: So apparently we had almost twice as many pass attempts as rush attempts, against a team that has a poor rush defense but excellent pass rush. In a game when we were almost never more than one score down. WTF?
I acknowledge that the ratio was skewed, but teams are going to continue stacking the box against the Bills until the passing offense gives them reason to back off. Even against poor rush defenses, it's tough to sustain drives when you are facing 8 guys at the line of scrimmage.

Just keep in mind fellas that there was a reason Kyle Orton was available to the world for months prior to the season. The Cowboys thought so little of Orton that they viewed Brandon Weeden as an upgrade to be Romo's backup.

Just keep in mind fellas that there was a reason Kyle Orton was available to the world for months prior to the season. The Cowboys thought so little of Orton that they viewed Brandon Weeden as an upgrade to be Romo's backup.
I'm not saying that Orton's the answer, but this is all sorts of wrong.

Cowboys actually really wanted Orton to sign be refused and took the summer off to be with his family. Bills had to over pay him to come here.

I'm not saying that Orton's the answer, but this is all sorts of wrong.
Enlighten me then.
Seriously? Orton forced their hand by saying he was going to retire, so they went out and got Weeden- they didn't view him as an upgrade (let's ignore for now that both may actually be an upgrade over EJ). They tried/hoped for months that he would report.

The front office hooked it's wagon to EJ - and then mortgaged next years first round pick on Watkins.

I like Watkins, he's good. But...and I know this topic has been :deadhorse: but that was a trade that NEVER should have taken place.

The funny thing - is Whaley has made some pretty impressive moves outside of those two decisions. But those two decisions are going to cost Marrone - and possibly Whaley their jobs. (IMHO)

Not enough Billief in here, guys
Update?
I still billieveI'll be at next week's game. Looking forward to witnessing another win.
You should be rooting for losses so that Buffalo can start looking for a franchise QB since it doesn't have one on the roster. That clown almost cost me a game with his pass to JJ Watts I had to sit with clenched teeth all thru the 1 oclock games waiting for that idiot to do something stupid. Every pass he throws has the potential to be taken the other way. I expect the Pats to take 2 back to the house when they play and of course I go against the NE defense.

The rest of the team looks pretty solid. Too bad they have that boat anchor at QB.

That probably a good thing because Winston, Hundley and Mariota are all going to go in the 1st round. No 1st means the Bills won't make that colossal mistake of taking one of them. Winston and Hundley are screaming busts and I think all 3 will bust. You can find a potential NFL caliber QBs in the 2nd round.

That probably a good thing because Winston, Hundley and Mariota are all going to go in the 1st round. No 1st means the Bills won't make that colossal mistake of taking one of them. Winston and Hundley are screaming busts and I think all 3 will bust. You can find a potential NFL caliber QBs in the 2nd round.
Pretty sure they'll have EJ and Orton as their top 2 QBs next year anyway.

Pretty sure they'll have EJ and Orton as their top 2 QBs next year anyway.
Unfortunately that is true. Orton can be serviceable until they find a starter. Manuel is simply not NFL starting QB material. At least in the new era of salary cap, they didn't have to fork over 50 million to find that out.

That was quick. I know Manuel's play has been inconsistent this season (he was alright the first two games), but he hasn't even started 16 games yet in his career. I would have been open to using Orton in relief at this point, but naming him the starter pretty much closes the book on Manuel.

That was quick. I know Manuel's play has been inconsistent this season (he was alright the first two games), but he hasn't even started 16 games yet in his career. I would have been open to using Orton in relief at this point, but naming him the starter pretty much closes the book on Manuel.
I agree. I'm very surprised they closed the book on him this fast.

Wow. Love the move. You've got to try something. You can't stay with the status quo when it's so obvious that QB is the glaring weakness on the team.

steveski said:
OC Zed said:
I agree. I'm very surprised they closed the book on him this fast.
Nature of the beast. The coaches need to win now in order to keep their jobs, even if it's only 1-2 more games. They can't worry about the future right now because it won't include them if they lose.

Users who are viewing this thread