What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

When Cutler was traded, he went for a current first rounder and third rounder, as well as a first round pick the following season and QB Kyle Orton.

Clearly teams value players differently and the compensation in a trade can vary greatly. I wasn't suggesting that BUF give three future first round picks for Rivers. Someone else suggested that.
Cutler was also 25 years old - significantly younger than either Bledsoe or Rivers.

There really aren't any good comps- Rivers is older, but he's also better than both of those guys IMO. It's also more of a passing league now than it was when they were traded, making top tier QBs more valuable.

I see you guys winning the division if you even get average QB play.

I also plan on going to the Cowboys game this year, I just pray you guys let me outta there alive. The last time I was there you guys choked a huge lead, 5 Romo int's and a fumble. We kicked a 54 yarder (twice) to win the game. Never seen so many simultaneous fights break out as that. Honestly, the scariest moment of my life.
haha yeah i'm going this year too, i'm counting on alot of the cowboys fans to show up so i dont get mobbed lol, but as Buffalo is my local team i do watch them alot, and they are putting some great talent together, all they need is average QB play and they should have a 9-11 win season on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I just chose to forget this or what, but reading an article on SI.com about Aaron Rodgers falling in the draft, had me go back and look at that draft and be reminded that the Bills missed out on Rodgers because they had traded away that first rounder the year before to move up and get JP Losman.

:wall:

I'm not sure if I just chose to forget this or what, but reading an article on SI.com about Aaron Rodgers falling in the draft, had me go back and look at that draft and be reminded that the Bills missed out on Rodgers because they had traded away that first rounder the year before to move up and get JP Losman.

As a Bills fan you should know better than to go back and look at the past.

But yes I agree.

I opened up my wallet and got two tickets to week 1 vs. Indianapolis off Stubhub for me and my son. Really looking forward to this. I've never been to a Bills home game before, and I'm thrilled to be there for the start of a new era. Any my poor son was literally in diapers for the Illegal Forward Pass game, so his whole life has been the valley years. Win or lose, we're both happy to be able to be there for the beginning of the first full season of Pegula/Ryan.

Edit: For those that don't know this, we live in South Dakota, so this is a little bit of a pilgrimage. I went to college and grad school in Indiana, so I went to lots of away games against Indy, and I've seen the Bills in Chicago and KC, but never at home.

I opened up my wallet and got two tickets to week 1 vs. Indianapolis off Stubhub for me and my son. Really looking forward to this. I've never been to a Bills home game before, and I'm thrilled to be there for the start of a new era. Any my poor son was literally in diapers for the Illegal Forward Pass game, so his whole life has been the valley years. Win or lose, we're both happy to be able to be there for the beginning of the first full season of Pegula/Ryan.

Edit: For those that don't know this, we live in South Dakota, so this is a little bit of a pilgrimage. I went to college and grad school in Indiana, so I went to lots of away games against Indy, and I've seen the Bills in Chicago and KC, but never at home.
Nice... What you doing about tailgating?

2 interesting notes from today's mini-camp:

1) Rex raved about Marquise Goodwin. Says he has been almost unstoppable through the first 2 days of camp. That's all well and good, but he needs to stay healthy, actually catch the ball consistently, and show up in games. But good to hear anyway. Seems like a guy that had some potential, but was pretty raw.

2) Rex had to pull Hughes from practice. Not because he was hurt, yelling or anything like that, but because he was so dominant that he was ruining practice. Would have had 5 or 6 sacks in the limited time he was out there. Signing him was such a good move.

On the other hand, if he had that much success, that means the offensive line was seeing that much failure...

Quick note on the first day of mini-camp: Rex was all positives about Cassel and his ability to quickly read defenses and get the ball out. Rex said Manuel looked good, but "needs to speed things up." I have to believe that just that comment alone is enough to indicate that the job is going to be Cassel's to lose. The Bills have a lot of playmakers that excel in space. It's imperative that the QB be able to pull the trigger quickly and give the playmakers a chance to use that space.

2 interesting notes from today's mini-camp:

1) Rex raved about Marquise Goodwin. Says he has been almost unstoppable through the first 2 days of camp. That's all well and good, but he needs to stay healthy, actually catch the ball consistently, and show up in games. But good to hear anyway. Seems like a guy that had some potential, but was pretty raw.

2) Rex had to pull Hughes from practice. Not because he was hurt, yelling or anything like that, but because he was so dominant that he was ruining practice. Would have had 5 or 6 sacks in the limited time he was out there. Signing him was such a good move.

On the other hand, if he had that much success, that means the offensive line was seeing that much failure...

Quick note on the first day of mini-camp: Rex was all positives about Cassel and his ability to quickly read defenses and get the ball out. Rex said Manuel looked good, but "needs to speed things up." I have to believe that just that comment alone is enough to indicate that the job is going to be Cassel's to lose. The Bills have a lot of playmakers that excel in space. It's imperative that the QB be able to pull the trigger quickly and give the playmakers a chance to use that space.
1. The line sucks and they did nothing for the second straight year to fix that. We can only pray for help in the draft, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. It won't matter who the QB is as this team will have the most conservative offense outside of the Ivy League.

I hope I'm wrong on both of those counts, but I'm a Bills fan so I have reason to be pessimistic.

They brought in Incognito and the draft hasn't went yet so it's difficult to say they haven't done anything. Other teams aren't going to let quality OL go for cheap in trades and FA offensive linemen are always going to be over priced. I'm not sure what you expect them to do.

The Bills have some young guys that may still develop. Plus they might add some in the draft too.

They also picked up Chris Williams and drafted three linemen in last year's offseason. We can call the line a weakness, but it's not fair or accurate to say that they haven't done anything to address it. Whether or not they successfully addressed it is the more important question.

I think we are a guard away from having a pretty good O-line. I also really think we get to see our 2nd round pick last year step up and help this team.

Not sure how the rest of you Bills fans feel, but I would be ecstatic if we got Bryce Pretty. Let Cassell hand the ball off this year and allow Petty to learn the NFL.

I don't think Manual or Taylor somehow become the QB of the future, but if they show signs of possibly being the guy, then having too many good QB's is never a bad thing. Load up until you find one.

No way. Petty is going to go in the 2nd. If he's there in the 3rd or 4th, then ok, but not in the 2nd.
I agree...I'd be pretty happy with Laken Tomlinson in the 2nd and the best available QB in the 3rd. But I sense any QB taken in the 3rd, although not out of the question, the odds are against that QB becoming a franchise guy.

ETA: Unfortunately, I doubt Tomlinson lasts to their 2nd round pick.

They also picked up Chris Williams and drafted three linemen in last year's offseason. We can call the line a weakness, but it's not fair or accurate to say that they haven't done anything to address it. Whether or not they successfully addressed it is the more important question.
I thought Chris Williams was a bad signing when it happened and we got even less production out of him than I expected. I'm also not a believer in Incognito or seeing material improvement from last year's rookies.

No way. Petty is going to go in the 2nd. If he's there in the 3rd or 4th, then ok, but not in the 2nd.
I agree...I'd be pretty happy with Laken Tomlinson in the 2nd and the best available QB in the 3rd. But I sense any QB taken in the 3rd, although not out of the question, the odds are against that QB becoming a franchise guy.

This.

I don't necessarily mean in the 2nd. I just meant at any time.

And how much do you think it will take to trade up and get Collins? Imagine that guy at SS in Rex's D. Can't believe him and Gregory haven't been drafted yet.

And speaking of draft fallers, I don't think I'd care if the Bills took a shot on Collins the OT. If he's cleared of everything then he'll be a steal. What do we have to lose?

You have to like how Day 1 shook out from our perspective.

Still there are both Hundley and Petty at QB, but also Jake Fisher slipped through the first round too. I wouldn't be pissed if they traded up in the second to grab him or Clemmings out of Pitt.

So I was watch some Bryce Petty (convincing myself he's the next Aaron Rodgers) and something popped out at me.

At about the 6:50 mark in the video (link below) he gets what a consider a low, late, dirty hit on the side line and into the bench and none of his team mates do anything. I think one guy might say something to the WV guy but that's it. This is a close game Baylor was ranked #4 at the time and nobody on the side line even really reacts to it. I know this is just some stupid little thing but it makes me wonder what kind of locker room guy he is.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bryce-petty-vs-west-virginia-2014/

So I was watch some Bryce Petty (convincing myself he's the next Aaron Rodgers) and something popped out at me.

At about the 6:50 mark in the video (link below) he gets what a consider a low, late, dirty hit on the side line and into the bench and none of his team mates do anything. I think one guy might say something to the WV guy but that's it. This is a close game Baylor was ranked #4 at the time and nobody on the side line even really reacts to it. I know this is just some stupid little thing but it makes me wonder what kind of locker room guy he is.

I'm not sure how you can say that so definitively. It cuts away so quick. Plus it looks like a couple players are looking at the WV guy and starting to walk toward him right as it cuts away. Most of the rest in the area were looking to see if Petty was ok.

I would have liked somehow getting Tomlinson on the roster - and after seeing his brief post pick interview, I would have LOVED having this guy.

Pretty impressive young man.

Still there are both Hundley and Petty at QB, but also Jake Fisher slipped through the first round too. I wouldn't be pissed if they traded up in the second to grab him or Clemmings out of Pitt.
I'd rather they sit tight. One of Clemmings, Fisher, Cann or Smith should be there at 50. They already are so low on draft picks for this year. And with so many big young guys about to be free agents next year, they can't really afford to be trading away more picks.

I'd rather they sit tight. One of Clemmings, Fisher, Cann or Smith should be there at 50. They already are so low on draft picks for this year. And with so many big young guys about to be free agents next year, they can't really afford to be trading away more picks.
Bingo

I'm not sure how you can say that so definitively. It cuts away so quick. Plus it looks like a couple players are looking at the WV guy and starting to walk toward him right as it cuts away. Most of the rest in the area were looking to see if Petty was ok.
The camera stays there long enough to see that the sideline doesn't lose their mind. I would think that in that situation there would an immediate ruckus. It is probably nothing but it stuck out to me.I posted thinking maybe someone had heard one way or the other about his character/leadership etc. Or if I was just being crazy. Appears I might just be seeing things.

How would everyone feel about taking Maxx Williams with the 50 pick?
I'd probably be ok with it. Although I think I may prefer an OG or OT in the 2nd and taking David Funchess in the 3rd. Get Funchess into an NFL weight program to beef him up a bit and he could be a very good receiving TE IMO.

At about the 6:50 mark in the video (link below) he gets what a consider a low, late, dirty hit on the side line and into the bench and none of his team mates do anything. I think one guy might say something to the WV guy but that's it. This is a close game Baylor was ranked #4 at the time and nobody on the side line even really reacts to it. I know this is just some stupid little thing but it makes me wonder what kind of locker room guy he is.http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bryce-petty-vs-west-virginia-2014/
The camera stays there long enough to see that the sideline doesn't lose their mind. I would think that in that situation there would an immediate ruckus. It is probably nothing but it stuck out to me.I posted thinking maybe someone had heard one way or the other about his character/leadership etc. Or if I was just being crazy. Appears I might just be seeing things.
FWIW, his strong leadership and "intangibles" are cited in just about every draft profile of him. He works really hard and is said to love the game. He also showed a lot of loyalty to Baylor along the way. That doesn't mean his teammates loved him, but it seems like the evidence is more in his favor than against it.

The camera shows everyone in his immediate vicinity turning to him, dropping their arms, and staring helpless. If anything, it looked like a collective, "oh ####" moment.

AJ Cann, Jake Fisher, TJ Clemmings, Eric Rowe and Maxx Williams all still available. Playing out like a dream for the Bills so far.

And of course red flag top talent guys Gregory and Collins still available...

We didn't have a first. Swing for the fences! Take a chance on Gregory or La'El Collins.

If not I'm hoping for Max Williams or TJ Clemmings. Maybe Perryman or Dawson. Shoot. Maybe Petty.

I don't love it, but:

1) CB was an under the radar need with McKelvin and Graham both having big cap numbers next year and getting older.

2) Rex has a pretty good track record with drafting CBs. If you look at his draft profile, it's kind of similar to Revis's.

In 2013 when FSU won the championship, Darby gave up just 9 receptions all year. He was such a shutdown guy that he was only targeted 27 times that year in 14 games played and 9 starts. That's absurdly low.

Users who are viewing this thread