What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r74G2Mm2xQ

Really excited to see the numbers this guy puts up at the Combine. People keep saying this is a weak draft class? I see more than a few players who are upgrades to players on existing teams.

Bell dominates. He can run over or around you. He's got a sick spin-move.

6 foot 2.

244 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a little slow into the second level, but a personal favorite of mine as well. Saw him run a ton at Michigan State, and I really love his patience and vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r74G2Mm2xQReally excited to see the numbers this guy puts up at the Combine. People keep saying this is a weak draft class? I see more than a few players who are upgrades to players on existing teams.Bell dominates. He can run over or around you. He's got a sick spin-move.6 foot 2.244 lbs.
Doesn't look like anything special to me. powerful, but honestly, hes just slow... and struggled against all good comp. his stats were inflated by the amount of carries he had and good games against teams like indiana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r74G2Mm2xQReally excited to see the numbers this guy puts up at the Combine. People keep saying this is a weak draft class? I see more than a few players who are upgrades to players on existing teams.Bell dominates. He can run over or around you. He's got a sick spin-move.6 foot 2.244 lbs.
Doesn't look like anything special to me. powerful, but honestly, hes just slow... and struggled against all good comp. his stats were inflated by the amount of carries he had and good games against teams like indiana
Think so? I think he could be an effective hammer on a team like Tennessee. Short-term burst is something that can be improved upon with lower-body workouts, no? Any way he runs under a 4.5 forty?

Think so? I think he could be an effective hammer on a team like Tennessee. Short-term burst is something that can be improved upon with lower-body workouts, no? Any way he runs under a 4.5 forty?
I think a niche like goaline/power back for a team like Tenn would probably be a good idea. dude can def move the pile, just not sure he can be anything more than that

6 foot 2.

244 lbs.
Sounds like you're describing Eddie Lacy. Except he's 5 foot 11, 231. And faster. Bell seems sluggish to me.

It's entirely possible you also have Lacy ranked over Bell, I'm just comparing them.

6 foot 2.

244 lbs.
Sounds like you're describing Eddie Lacy. Except he's 5 foot 11, 231. And faster. Bell seems sluggish to me.

It's entirely possible you also have Lacy ranked over Bell, I'm just comparing them.
yea, Lacey seems like a rich mans version of Bell, who actually has the potential to be a feature back

I don't see slow and sluggish. I see patience with a good burst when its time. I wish Lacy would have competed because I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Bell. I got Bell #1 right now. It would surprise me if he did not run at least 4.55.

4.52 seems about right. This kid is a beast. I see enough wiggle for a guy his side. He moves laterally much better than Jacobs. See some potential Eddie George here

He lost a lot of body fat. Not the same guy from season. Not sure what to make of it immediately.

Bell is a player i like when watching one game, and then the next I went meh. Does seen to have some ability in the pass game. if the league was still a one or I back power league (see 80s REdskins) his fit would be clearer.

I was really high on him. However, he cut weight and still failed to impress in the jumps or the 40. I'm less excited.

I was really high on him. However, he cut weight and still failed to impress in the jumps or the 40. I'm less excited.
He was never thought to be explosive, but always had great feet and wiggle as his 3-cone time confirms.

True, but he was also hurt by the fact that he played on one of the worst passing teams in the country. Almost everyone MSU played sold out to stop the run.

True, but he was also hurt by the fact that he played on one of the worst passing teams in the country. Almost everyone MSU played sold out to stop the run.
he's a beast. steal possibility here as all the combine nerds will draft some d3 track star. its hard to be uber fast at 6`2. he still runs low and is hard to bring down.

he's a beast. steal possibility here as all the combine nerds will draft some d3 track star. its hard to be uber fast at 6`2. he still runs low and is hard to bring down.
I don't see the slow, lumbering back that others are seeing. Not the fastest guy but he looks like a guy who would be good in a thunder and lighting attack. I don't see him as a true every down back except in the right situation (i.e. Washington like Morris) although I don't think he needs to be in order to be a useful in fantasy.

As poor as the MSU offense was this year, Bell took over some games and nearly single-handedly won games for them.

'Spartans Rule said:
'wiscstlatlmia said:
he sucks- A biased wisconsin fan LOL(perhaps I'm just bitter over the heartbreaking losses the past few years)

Le'Veon Bell emerging as best running back in 2013 NFL DraftBy Bucky BrooksAnalyst, NFL.com and NFL NetworkShhhh!I'm about to let you in on a little secret that is circulating through scouting circles following the NFL Scouting Combine: Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell is the best running back in the 2013 NFL Draft, and it's not even close.Now, I know that statement certainly will cause some consternation among the legions of Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball and Giovani Bernard supporters, but there is not a more complete back in this draft than Bell. Checking in at 6-foot-1 3/8 and 230 pounds, Bell is an old-school runner with the size and strength to grind between the tackles, yet he's quick enough to get to the edge on perimeter runs. Moreover, he is a dependable workhorse capable of shouldering a heavy workload as the primary runner.As a junior, Bell was the Michigan State offense, rushing for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns. He accomplished those totals on 382 rushing attempts, with seven games of at least 30 carries. Some evaluators will view the heavy workload as a concern, due to the short shelf life of running backs. But I believe the fact that Bell carried the ball extensively without incident suggests he is not only durable, but also possesses the hard-nosed mentality to be a feature back as a pro.Bell is also a dependable receiver out of the backfield, possessing the hands and receiving skills to be an integral part of a complex passing game. Over the past two seasons, he snagged 67 receptions, showing the capacity to run basic routes from his tailback spot. Although he is not a matchup nightmare in space, the fact that he is functional as a receiver will allow an offensive coordinator to keep him on the field in every situation, preventing opponents from honing in on the running game when Bell is in the huddle.When I broke down the game tape, I came away viewing Bell as a Steven Jackson clone. Bell not only runs with a similar gait, but he displays the patience and vision to excel in a zone-based scheme. Bell's ability to read and set up his blocks at the line of scrimmage routinely leads to big gains when plays are executed properly. Additionally, Bell displays the ability to put together a sequence of cuts beyond the line of scrimmage. From multiple jump cuts to crafty spin moves in the open field, Bell's ability to make defenders miss at his size is quite rare. With Bell more than capable of running through contact, gaining 951 yards after contact in 2012, it is not surprising he has become a favorite of scouts and coaches around the league.Now, that's not to say Bell is without flaws. He doesn't show explosive first-step quickness, and some scouts worry about his overall toughness, despite the remarkable production. In fact, one AFC official told me he wonders if Bell views himself as a "dancer," rather than a pounder with the ball in his hands. Regardless, I believe Bell is an impact runner with the skills to make a difference in the right offensive system.Here are five teams that are perfect fits for Bell, in my opinion:Denver BroncosThe Broncos were terrific in Peyton Manning's debut season, but the offensive potency certainly diminished when injuries to Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno weakened the running game. To alleviate the problem in the future, Denver could consider adding Bell to the mix. The Spartan star is a terrific fit in the team's zone-running scheme. Most importantly, he is an outstanding pass catcher with the potential to develop into a lethal weapon out of the backfield. Some of Manning's best years came with Edgerrin James behind him in Indianapolis. The Broncos could give their franchise quarterback another explosive playmate.Green Bay PackersDespite Aaron Rodgers' unquestioned greatness, he can't continue to single-handedly carry the Packers' offense without the semblance of a running game. Opponents have tormented Green Bay with a variety of 2-man concepts, eliminating some of the open windows in the passing game. The addition of Bell would force opponents to respect the ground attack and offset those tactics. Consequently, the Packers would see more eight-man fronts with single coverage on the outside, leading to big plays off play-action. Green Bay relied on a similar formula when Ryan Grant was at his best; Mike McCarthy could dust off the blueprint with Bell in the backfield.Atlanta FalconsDirk Koetter has transformed the Falcons into a pass-first offense, but the team still needs a rugged presence in the backfield to close out games in the fourth quarter -- especially now that the Michael Turner era has officially come to a close. Bell is a classic throwback runner who can pound the ball between the tackles. Additionally, he is effective in the screen game, which would make him a dangerous weapon in the Falcons' lineup. With Julio Jones and Roddy White attracting the defense's attention, Bell could offer Koetter a nice diversion as a dynamic running back.Oakland RaidersDarren McFadden is one of the top runners in the NFL, but he is at his best when playing as part of a rotation that features another workhorse. Michael Bush thrived in that role in the past, but he departed via free agency in 2012, and McFadden was incapable of shouldering the load on his own. By adding Bell to the lineup, the Raiders would alleviate some of the pressure on McFadden, while also adding some variety to the running game. Bell would provide the Raiders with some toughness, allowing the team to play power football under Dennis Allen. With both Super Bowl teams adhering to that principle, the Raiders might be wise to follow suit.Indianapolis ColtsNew offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton will continue to build the Colts' offense around the talents of Andrew Luck, but he also will rely on some of the principles utilized at Stanford to make the second-year pro comfortable. One of those tactics will be the implementation of a hard-nosed running game, fueled by the power. With his unique combination of size, strength and quickness, Bell is ideally suited to play in a scheme that mixes the power with inside and outside zones. Additionally, Bell is a natural pass catcher with the ability to run most of the routes on the route tree. Given Hamilton's vision of a balanced and diverse offense that attacks the opponent's weakness, Bell could be an explosive chess piece to utilize in key moments

Got the Bell write up done today.

I'd compared him to Wells in another thread where I was arguing that Wells couldn't stay healthy because the combo of a bad build (tall) with poor vision is a death sentence for RBs, but at the time wasn't arguing for Wells was a good Bell comp. But I should have been.

IMO Bell's a slower, less explosive version of Wells. With his size he could be useful in a limited role, but I'd be shocked if he can stay on the field.

I'd compared him to Wells in another thread where I was arguing that Wells couldn't stay healthy because the combo of a bad build (tall) with poor vision is a death sentence for RBs, but at the time wasn't arguing for Wells was a good Bell comp. But I should have been.

IMO Bell's a slower, less explosive version of Wells. With his size he could be useful in a limited role, but I'd be shocked if he can stay on the field.
I dont recall Bell missing significant time in college due to injury.Just the opposite with Beanie.

I dont recall Bell missing significant time in college due to injury.Just the opposite with Beanie.
Looks like Wells played 36/39 games at Ohio State? Was he nicked up a lot?Regardless, I'm not really looking at college games missed data -- just what's happened to similar players in the NFL.

Looks like Wells played 36/39 games at Ohio State? Was he nicked up a lot?Regardless, I'm not really looking at college games missed data -- just what's happened to similar players in the NFL.
hmmm, that number is surprising with Beanie, I thought it was much worse

I recall Beanie as being injured a lot, too. Never seemed to be 100%, but that's just from memory which isn't what it used to be.

Pretty sure he left a lot of games early with various "dings". I could be misremembering though.

I think Bell is a bit of a throw back, big plodder, although he can be nimble at times. So your conclusion is based on his body type and vision he has a higher risk to get injured

Pretty sure he left a lot of games early with various "dings". I could be misremembering though.
Nope, you've got it. He rarely practiced and often missed time during games, much like his pro career.

Don't "hurdlers" like him uuusually get that coached out of them by the time they reach the NFL??

'glock said:
Don't "hurdlers" like him uuusually get that coached out of them by the time they reach the NFL??
No, they simply realize it's not effective anymore.

'wdcrob said:

Are Wells and Shelton the only comparables? Two data points doesn't seem like enough to go by.

I wouldn't sign him to a 8 year contract, but I'd like to have him around for 4 years and see what he can do. He was a beast at MSU. As already said he won some games without much help from the rest of the skill positions.

'wdcrob said:

Are Wells and Shelton the only comparables? Two data points doesn't seem like enough to go by.
Yeah, there there aren't very many when you do a close match across all of the attributes. So those are just the two best (and Shelton's not great).You do pick up more if you loosen the restrictions. But I'm trying to stick to comps who have the same overall ability level. Saying he's like 'Good RB X' except without some of the attributes that make X a good RB isn't very helpful.

I also thought about starting with a big pool of vaguely similar guys and showing what happens as you whittle down, but it's just too time consuming given the number of players in the draft.

FWIW, Bell's not a bad back. I don't think he's a guy that's going to help you win though. And I do think he'll have trouble staying healthy.

If I loosen things a bit to pick up a few others I'd rank them like this:

Chris Wells

Le'Veon Bell

Toby Gerhart

Daniel Thomas

Anthony Thomas

I read that to say if Bell got an every-down opportunity and managed to stay healthy he could pull together a RB2 season or two.

I just don't see the "won't stay health angle". Beanie was hurt constantly in college. Bell had twice as many carries than Wells ever had in a season, and never missed more than a series. You'd think if it were just their size and running style that made them injury prone, it might have shown up over his nearly 600 carries the last 2 years.

I just don't see the "won't stay health angle". Beanie was hurt constantly in college. Bell had twice as many carries than Wells ever had in a season, and never missed more than a series. You'd think if it were just their size and running style that made them injury prone, it might have shown up over his nearly 600 carries the last 2 years.
Right. It's not like they don't hit in College....

ZWK, here's how I got to Chris Wells as the best comp... this is broken out into pieces for clarity. It's too much to do for every guy I'm writing up, but thought it would be useful to see one...

I started with players who were Tall, Big and had negative receiving metrics.

LaGarrette Blount

Eric Shelton

Brandon Jacobs

Kevin Jones

Chris Wells

T.J. Duckett

Le'Veon Bell

Darren Evans

John Clay

Musa Smith

Toby Gerhart

Jackie Battle

Cedric Humes

Daniel Thomas

Anthony Thomas

Tim Hightower

Greg Jones

Straight away I can look at that list and determine there's no one there I'd be willing to part with a worthwhile asset to acquire.

In fact, I could stop here and feel comfortable that I'm not missing out on the next big thing if I pass on Bell. I'm not interested in role players or guys who might finish as RB20 if two guys in front of them get hurt and they have 400 carries.

Eliminating the players who are not just big, but are huge/oversized (which Bell is not) we lose...

LaGarrette Blount

Eric Shelton (borderline)

Brandon Jacobs

----------------

T.J. Duckett

Greg Jones

Which leaves us with...

Kevin Jones

Chris Wells

Le'Veon Bell

Darren Evans

John Clay

Musa Smith

Toby Gerhart

Jackie Battle

Cedric Humes

Daniel Thomas

Anthony Thomas

Tim Hightower

Now eliminating the players who also qualify as fast (which Bell is not) we drop...

Musa Smith

Jackie Battle

Kevin Jones

Leaving us with...

Chris Wells

Le'Veon Bell

Darren Evans

John Clay

Toby Gerhart

Cedric Humes

Daniel Thomas

Anthony Thomas

Tim Hightower

However, some of these guys were drafted very late (which Bell is not expected to be)... so eliminating those with an adjusted draft position outside the top 100, we can cut...

Cedric Humes (224)

Darren Evans (UDFA)

John Clay (UDFA)

Which leaves us with...

Chris Wells

Le'Veon Bell

------------

Toby Gerhart

Daniel Thomas

Anthony Thomas

Tim Hightower (I eliminated small school players the first time)

However, only Wells and Bell have rushing metrics in positive territory, which is how I arrived at Beanie as his best comp. Shelton makes it to the end as well if you don't cut him with the oversized guys. But looking at that again now I think he's a better fit with the massive guys (judgment call).

And since Bell's rushing metric is worse than Wells', and he's both slightly smaller and slower than Wells I don't even think he has Beanie's upside.

Note that you don't have to buy the health argument here at all to avoid Bell. The odds are pretty high that he's not going to be a lead back for very long even if he's healthy.

That's the long version of what happens very quickly with a few keystrokes otherwise.

I believe the comp. I would make to him is Jamal Lewis. The feet are not as nimble but he might be a a tad faster (yet not as quick to wiggle). Probably has more flexibility than Lewis.

I think for Bell it will come down to where he lands. Put him in St. Louis and I'm really starting to watch. Put him in New York as a complement with a specialized role and I don't think he will evolve much past that.

I believe the comp. I would make to him is Jamal Lewis. The feet are not as nimble but he might be a a tad faster (yet not as quick to wiggle). Probably has more flexibility than Lewis.

I think for Bell it will come down to where he lands. Put him in St. Louis and I'm really starting to watch. Put him in New York as a complement with a specialized role and I don't think he will evolve much past that.
:goodposting:

If he goes to GB, St. Louis, maybe even Pittsburgh, I will think much different of him than if he goes to Baltimore...

:goodposting:

If he goes to GB, St. Louis, maybe even Pittsburgh, I will think much different of him than if he goes to Baltimore...
Jamal Lewis both tore an ACL and spent a year in prison in the heart of his career, but still scored 1842 fantasy points.I will bet $20 squazillion that Le'Veon Bell doesn't score more than 1000 (i.e. roughly half as many as Lewis) in his entire career.

Lewis had a lot more power.

Users who are viewing this thread