What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (8 Viewers)

So... Dwyer?
More like a cluster#### in a crappy situation. I'm personally not going to own any stillers backs this year. Once bell is back (assuming he does indeed miss time) could be a timeshare, Tomlin could stick with Dwyer and gradually work bell in... Could put bell back in full bore.

Too cloudy to waste a pick on IMO. Lots of better options this year.

After watching Bell so far this off season, I'm believing he may be a fraud. Way overrarted on most rookie draft boards, imo.
4 carries, and you can tell already?
Yes, but some of us do not have "MSU" in our name to show our bias for a former MSU player..

Anyone with eyes can see he was not doing well. You better make the most of all 4 plays when you are a rookie coming of injury, before going out with an injury.

Leave the bias at home, Bell and that OLine didn't look good, no matter what defense you want to use.

Four carries in one drive in his very first action as a pro and people are calling him a bust. I will reserve judgment for a bit.
How bout in those 4 carries coaches look at a lot, but let's avoid that.

What about that OLine and how they almost got Ben killed? We will avoid that.

What about the knee injury that was keeping him out? K, lets avoid that.

What about his new mid foot sprain? You wanna avoid that too before reserving judgement?

He has so many red flags after just 4 carries its quit uncanny, how can you draft this guy unless you are a MSU or Steelers fan?

Four carries in one drive in his very first action as a pro and people are calling him a bust. I will reserve judgment for a bit.

What about his new mid foot sprain? You wanna avoid that too before reserving judgement?

He has so many red flags after just 4 carries its quit uncanny, how can you draft this guy unless you are a MSU or Steelers fan?
To be fair, part of your argument is a fairly serious injury Bell did not have when BAlmighty made that post. Not to mention pass blocking and run blocking are 2 totally different things. Pass blocking looks awful, run blocking has looked average if not good so far.

Until recently, I was reasonably high on Bell based on his ADP/other RBs still available. As a Steelers fan who has a FF league full of Steelers fans, I am hoping someone still picks Bell early (4th unlikely now...5th, hopefully).

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not a fan of either, but judging a guy off of four carries is comically shortsighted.

Obviously downgrade him due to the foot sprain, but anything based on his one series tonight is crazy.

Todd Haley will make sure this remains a RBBC , and you'll forever be chasing pts like last season with Redman and Dwyer.

no thanks..

Todd Haley will make sure this remains a RBBC , and you'll forever be chasing pts like last season with Redman and Dwyer.

no thanks..
This is a distinct possibility, but if he doesn't, there will be value here. Both of those guys are on 1 year deals and from what I read they both put in the time this offseason to become better (primarily referencing Dwyer working on his conditioning which was questionable at best since he entered the league). If one of them gets 65%+ of the carries, I want him.

@SigmundBloom: Commence ADP freefall. RT @injuryexpert Bad news on Le'Veon Bell. Midfoot sprain is going to keep him out weeks on the low end.
####
Possible Lis Franc??
Lisfranc is a break or dislocation of the bones in your mid-foot. A sprain, which is ligament related. I don't think Mid-foot sprain automatically means Lisfranc. That said, this assumes the diagnosis is correct as a sprain. My (uneducated) understanding is that Lisfranc is sometimes misdiagnosed as a sprain at first.

Sorry fellas... I drafted him Sunday and changed my team name to Le'Veon Ring My Bell....

I take full responsibility ....

After watching Bell so far this off season, I'm believing he may be a fraud. Way overrarted on most rookie draft boards, imo.
4 carries, and you can tell already?
Yes, but some of us do not have "MSU" in our name to show our bias for a former MSU player..

Anyone with eyes can see he was not doing well. You better make the most of all 4 plays when you are a rookie coming of injury, before going out with an injury.

Leave the bias at home, Bell and that OLine didn't look good, no matter what defense you want to use.
It is true I went to MSU and I have always liked Bell, but I would never say I know what a player would be after 4 carries, passes or receptions. That is just foolish.

Aug 20 8:43 AM

Le'Veon Bell will undergo an MRI on his right knee on Tuesday.

The initial diagnosis on Bell was a mid-foot sprain. As ESPN's Adam Schefter notes, this injury sometimes turns into a Lisfranc fracture -- an injury that would cripple the second-round rookie's season. For now, all the Steelers can do is hold their breath. Bell's projected backup, Isaac Redman, produced 410 yards on 110 carries (3.72 YPC) and lost three fumbles last year.

no thanks..
This is a distinct possibility, but if he doesn't, there will be value here. Both of those guys are on 1 year deals and from what I read they both put in the time this offseason to become better (primarily referencing Dwyer working on his conditioning which was questionable at best since he entered the league). If one of them gets 65%+ of the carries, I want him.
Agree with the post. Will add one thought to keep in the back of our minds as the season plays out:

If Bell has the type of season where he is good, but always seems to have a little nagging concern here or there (or is slow to recoup), then I think its possible the Steelers go looking for another RB to draft next year and muddy the watters.

I can also see a scenario where IF Bell looks to be on the shelf for any period of time and IF a guy like Beanie Wells can pass a physical, the Steelers might give Wells a second look and bring him in again to kick the tires on.

Either way, for Bell to really grab some ff value, he needs to be healthy and that line has got to improve.

The initial diagnosis on Bell was a mid-foot sprain. As ESPN's Adam Schefter notes, this injury sometimes turns into a Lisfranc fracture -- an injury that would cripple the second-round rookie's season. For now, all the Steelers can do is hold their breath. Bell's projected backup, Isaac Redman, produced 410 yards on 110 carries (3.72 YPC) and lost three fumbles last year.
knee? I know he banged it a week ago, but I'm pretty sure you meant his foot.

Dwyer looked quicker to me... Made some pretty sharp cuts.

I'll say it - I was marginally impressed...
Quick? Sharp cuts?

I thought he made one really nice cut on a long run.....the one on 3rd and 18 where he failed to get the 1st down despite having a good gap, making a nice cut, and having a head of steam. I didn't see a whole lot of sharp cuts besides one.

Who thinks he will be cut?
He looked substantially quicker than he did last year, IMO. Admittedly, I missed large chunks of this game. But he made a few nice cuts at the second level that impressed me to juke his way around a defender.

Dwyer is never going to be shifty or elusive necessarily, but if he's maintained the power and added a little quickness, he could be effective.

Depends on how bad the injury to Bell is, and how much Dwyer continues to progress. But he's clearly motivated this year. Back of the roster flier at this point, but as FF Ninja said, if someone's getting 65% of the work here - sign me up.

So...

Is there a clear cut back up to Bell??

Dwyer and Redman are both on the WW and I drafted Bell...
I've haven't found an answer to this yet. Can you cut your kicker and/or defense and grab them both until we get some clarity? We should know a lot more after the game this weekend.

So...

Is there a clear cut back up to Bell??

Dwyer and Redman are both on the WW and I drafted Bell...
I've haven't found an answer to this yet. Can you cut your kicker and/or defense and grab them both until we get some clarity? We should know a lot more after the game this weekend.
Actually it looks like I lied...

I just checked again and Redman was drafted, Dwyer was available so I grabbed him...

knee? I know he banged it a week ago, but I'm pretty sure you meant his foot.
Copied and pasted. Either it was an error, or this guy is a total mess.

no thanks..
Agree with the post. Will add one thought to keep in the back of our minds as the season plays out:If Bell has the type of season where he is good, but always seems to have a little nagging concern here or there (or is slow to recoup), then I think its possible the Steelers go looking for another RB to draft next year and muddy the watters.

I can also see a scenario where IF Bell looks to be on the shelf for any period of time and IF a guy like Beanie Wells can pass a physical, the Steelers might give Wells a second look and bring him in again to kick the tires on.

Either way, for Bell to really grab some ff value, he needs to be healthy and that line has got to improve.
Why would they bring in a guy with a history of nagging injuries to replace a guy with nagging injuries?

This is what puzzled me yesterday. Why give the ball 4 times to the guy who is supposed to be your workhorse/feature back for the next 5 years in the first 5 or 6 plays during a preseason game, when he was already nursing a bad knee? I get doing it in the regular season or if he was healthy it would just be bad luck, it is almost like the Steelers were playing russian roulette with a gun that only had one blank in it. I thought Dwyer looked alright yesterday after coming in for Bell, why is Redman the lead backup?

This is what puzzled me yesterday. Why give the ball 4 times to the guy who is supposed to be your workhorse/feature back for the next 5 years in the first 5 or 6 plays during a preseason game, when he was already nursing a bad knee? I get doing it in the regular season or if he was healthy it would just be bad luck, it is almost like the Steelers were playing russian roulette with a gun that only had one blank in it.
4 carries isn't exactly a full load.

Given that Bell didn't play last week, I'm sure Tomlin wanted to finally see how the kid can perform under the lights. As for his injury, who knows how much he was healed, but could also have been a test by the coaching staff how he can do with inevitable bumps and bruises RBs will take.

This is what puzzled me yesterday. Why give the ball 4 times to the guy who is supposed to be your workhorse/feature back for the next 5 years in the first 5 or 6 plays during a preseason game, when he was already nursing a bad knee? I get doing it in the regular season or if he was healthy it would just be bad luck, it is almost like the Steelers were playing russian roulette with a gun that only had one blank in it.
4 carries isn't exactly a full load.Given that Bell didn't play last week, I'm sure Tomlin wanted to finally see how the kid can perform under the lights. As for his injury, who knows how much he was healed, but could also have been a test by the coaching staff how he can do with inevitable bumps and bruises RBs will take.
I agree with the testing him for bumps and bruises part. We will have to agree to disagree though on the rest. 4 carries in the first 6 plays on an injured knee and being your first carries in the NFL is reckless by the coaching staff. I think they should have eases him I. With a couple on the first series and a couple more on the second, if he came out no worse then give him 4 or 5 carries on the 3rd series. If he still got injured then alright, better to find out early and get the problem resolved

Stephens-Howling could be the sneaky value play as a last round pick who could put up possibly rb#3 numbers if Bell is out a while.

Added Dwyer when the injury occurred last night, but trying to find a spot for LSH as well. Seems a little pointless though since there seems to be a strong chance this whole backfield could be a fantasy dumpster fire anyway.

Don't read too much into it yet:RB Le’Veon Bell Spotted At UPMC Without Boot Or Crutches

Don't read too much into it yet:RB Le’Veon Bell Spotted At UPMC Without Boot Or Crutches
Good news there. I kind of thought he looked fine on the sideline last night. He was walking around without a shoe on the sideline. My hope was that he basically just felt a twinge so they pulled him as a precaution. Don't get me wrong, I hate that the guy has barely seen any action yet, but I think it's too early to put him in the Ryan Williams category of players who can't stay healthy in the NFL.

Don't read too much into it yet:RB LeVeon Bell Spotted At UPMC Without Boot Or Crutches
Good news there. I kind of thought he looked fine on the sideline last night. He was walking around without a shoe on the sideline. My hope was that he basically just felt a twinge so they pulled him as a precaution. Don't get me wrong, I hate that the guy has barely seen any action yet, but I think it's too early to put him in the Ryan Williams category of players who can't stay healthy in the NFL.
it sure is

Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell has been diagnosed with a mid-foot sprain, and could be sidelined "a while."
It appears Bell has avoided a Lisfranc injury, but as top Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette points out, any mid-foot sprain is a big issue for a running back. It's safe to rule Bell out for the rest of the preseason, and consider him questionable for Week 1. Bell has 19 days to get healthy. The Steelers would likely go with a committee of Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer and La'Rod Stephens-Howling in the opener if their prized rookie runner isn't ready. The Steelers seem to have a remarkably difficult time keeping linemen and runners healthy.

I don't think bouchétte has any idea how long bell will be out for...he is just guessing

Is not a Lisfranc which is huge....he will like be rested and I think there is a legit chance he can be ready to go for 1st week of Season

This could have been much much worse

Yes I am a bell owner in many leagues and I am relieved

I don't think bouchétte has any idea how long bell will be out for...he is just guessing

Is not a Lisfranc which is huge....he will like be rested and I think there is a legit chance he can be ready to go for 1st week of Season

I like Bell, own him, and went to MSU, so I am sure this is going to hold no weight, but I would keep him out until week 3 or 4, or when he is 100 percent.

It worked so well bringing Mendenhall back too early last year. Seriously, lets rush him into action a second time and see if he can turn the injury into a Lisfranc and become the next Mcfadden, Beanie Wells.

So are you. But I bet his is closer than your guess.

Edbouchette on twitter

Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell's injury to right foot not as significant as teammate Matt Spaeth's Lisfranc.

Still, as a RB mid foot injury could keep Bell sidelined for awhile

Speculation is 6-8 weeks from bramel. So probably 1st 2 games

Users who are viewing this thread