What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Montee Ball (1 Viewer)

I still think Ball isn't a bad buy-low/end of bench stash. He looked bad yesterday but had 12 carries to Moreno's 13. Hillman seems to be the odd man out right now and Moreno's never been the picture of health:

Code:
Year 	Week 	NFL Team 	Injury Status 	Injury2009 	1 	Denver Broncos 	Questionable 	knee2009 	2 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	knee2009 	3 	Denver Broncos 	Questionable 	groin2009 	15 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	ankle2010 	1 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	hamstring2010 	3 	Denver Broncos 	Out 	hamstring2010 	4 	Denver Broncos 	Out 	hamstring2010 	5 	Denver Broncos 	Out 	hamstring2010 	6 	Denver Broncos 	Questionable 	hamstring2010 	16 	Denver Broncos 	Questionable 	ribs2010 	17 	Denver Broncos 	Questionable 	ribs2011 	2 	Denver Broncos 	Questionable 	hamstring2011 	3 	Denver Broncos 	Questionable 	hamstring2011 	4 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	hamstring2011 	5 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	hamstring2011 	11 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	12 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	13 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	14 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	15 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	16 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	17 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	18 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	19 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	20 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2011 	21 	Denver Broncos 	Injured Reserve 	knee2012 	12 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	groin2012 	16 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	ribs2012 	17 	Denver Broncos 	Probable 	ribsRead more: [URL="http://www.kffl.com/player/19988/nfl/injury_history/knowshon-moreno#ixzz2f53bGQlR"]http://www.kffl.com/player/19988/nfl/injury_history/knowshon-moreno#ixzz2f53bGQlR[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think Ball isn't a bad buy-low/end of bench stash. He looked bad yesterday but had 12 carries to Moreno's 13. Hillman seems to be the odd man out right now and Moreno's never been the picture of health:

Year Week NFL Team Injury Status Injury2009 1 Denver Broncos Questionable knee2009 2 Denver Broncos Probable knee2009 3 Denver Broncos Questionable groin2009 15 Denver Broncos Probable ankle2010 1 Denver Broncos Probable hamstring2010 3 Denver Broncos Out hamstring2010 4 Denver Broncos Out hamstring2010 5 Denver Broncos Out hamstring2010 6 Denver Broncos Questionable hamstring2010 16 Denver Broncos Questionable ribs2010 17 Denver Broncos Questionable ribs2011 2 Denver Broncos Questionable hamstring2011 3 Denver Broncos Questionable hamstring2011 4 Denver Broncos Probable hamstring2011 5 Denver Broncos Probable hamstring2011 11 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 12 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 13 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 14 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 15 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 16 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 17 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 18 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 19 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 20 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 21 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2012 12 Denver Broncos Probable groin2012 16 Denver Broncos Probable ribs2012 17 Denver Broncos Probable ribsRead more: http://www.kffl.com/player/19988/nfl/injury_history/knowshon-moreno#ixzz2f53bGQlR
Seems like he was pretty healthy last year. Listed as Probable three times.

Year Week NFL Team Injury Status Injury2009 1 Denver Broncos Questionable knee2009 2 Denver Broncos Probable knee2009 3 Denver Broncos Questionable groin2009 15 Denver Broncos Probable ankle2010 1 Denver Broncos Probable hamstring2010 3 Denver Broncos Out hamstring2010 4 Denver Broncos Out hamstring2010 5 Denver Broncos Out hamstring2010 6 Denver Broncos Questionable hamstring2010 16 Denver Broncos Questionable ribs2010 17 Denver Broncos Questionable ribs2011 2 Denver Broncos Questionable hamstring2011 3 Denver Broncos Questionable hamstring2011 4 Denver Broncos Probable hamstring2011 5 Denver Broncos Probable hamstring2011 11 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 12 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 13 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 14 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 15 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 16 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 17 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 18 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 19 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 20 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2011 21 Denver Broncos Injured Reserve knee2012 12 Denver Broncos Probable groin2012 16 Denver Broncos Probable ribs2012 17 Denver Broncos Probable ribsRead more: http://www.kffl.com/player/19988/nfl/injury_history/knowshon-moreno#ixzz2f53bGQlR
Actually Moreno was inactive most of last year:

During the 2011 season, Moreno split playing time with Willis McGahee, and soon lost the starting job due to McGahee's performance. Moreno still averaged a career-high 4.8 yards per carry. His season was cut short on November 15, 2011 when the Broncos placed Moreno on the IR after he tore his ACL against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Moreno returned to the playing field for the 2012 season and ran for a touchdown in the opening game win against the Pittsburgh Steelers. After he fumbled in the second game of the season against the Atlanta Falcons, Moreno was benched and was ruled inactive for 8 straight weeks. After Willis McGahee was placed on injured reserve with a leg and knee injury, Moreno was reactivated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowshon_Moreno

Just hope that you drafted Moreno in the 11th or 12th round and handcuffed him with Ball in the fifth. I tried to do that as often as I could in August drafts.

Actually Moreno was inactive most of last year:

During the 2011 season, Moreno split playing time with Willis McGahee, and soon lost the starting job due to McGahee's performance. Moreno still averaged a career-high 4.8 yards per carry. His season was cut short on November 15, 2011 when the Broncos placed Moreno on the IR after he tore his ACL against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Moreno returned to the playing field for the 2012 season and ran for a touchdown in the opening game win against the Pittsburgh Steelers. After he fumbled in the second game of the season against the Atlanta Falcons, Moreno was benched and was ruled inactive for 8 straight weeks. After Willis McGahee was placed on injured reserve with a leg and knee injury, Moreno was reactivated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowshon_Moreno
Right but not due to an injury, right? Coaches choice to not have him active.

CJ Anderson will be getting closer and closer to full strength. If CJ is healthy enuff to play i bet we see him get some snaps(more than hillman) this week and build from there

Not looking good so far - 2 YPC and a fumble on the goal line.
The fumble's a non-issue. If coaches benched everyone who ever fumbled a single time, the RB position would have been abolished decades ago. Montee Ball was one of the most sure-handed backs in college football history. He lost two fumbles in his entire college career. He had 655 carries and 802 total touches before he lost his first fumble. I don't think Fox and Co. are too concerned with his ball security, and the fact that they put him back in on the next drive suggests as much.

The fact that Ball sucked running yesterday is far more concerning. Denver opened up with a 50/50 split between Ball and Moreno. Ultimately, Ball spent most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters on the bench because he simply sucked running the ball, while Moreno was putting together the best game of his five-year career. Ball didn't see the field consistently again until he got some mop-up duty in garbage time.

Ball's path to playing time always hinged on the fact that he was Denver's best rusher. If that's no longer the case, then there's no reason for Ball to get much playing time anymore.

In general I have a hard time getting excited by 5-10, 215 backs who run a 4.5 or higher. To me it seems like the Broncos drafted a slightly younger (3 years) version of Moreno. That offense is good enough that he'll put up RB1 numbers if he starts but I'd never feel comfortable that he's going to be the guy in the long-term.

In general I have a hard time getting excited by 5-10, 215 backs who run a 4.5 or higher. To me it seems like the Broncos drafted a slightly younger (3 years) version of Moreno. That offense is good enough that he'll put up RB1 numbers if he starts but I'd never feel comfortable that he's going to be the guy in the long-term.
Why?
The free agent market is bearing it out. If he was that good he would have been immediately snapped up instead of Jennings, Gerhart and Donald Brown. If he's holding out for more money than those guys I wish him a lot of luck.

So, is this guy a top 10 dynasty running back now?

People seem to have Bell at the bottom of the top-10 and I think I'd take Ball over him.

People seem to have Bell at the bottom of the top-10 and I think I'd take Ball over him.
Getting first crack at the job is really nice. It's a plum job, at least for the time being. There's a big difference between getting first crack at the job and having it locked down, though. Montee Ball's getting first crack. Le'Veon Bell already has it locked down.

With that said, I had Ball at 14 in my last ranking update, making me one of the highest staffers on him. Recent news out of Dove Valley doesn't change my opinion on him, because this is more or less what I expected to be hearing out of Dove Valley. Fox and Elway have never been Knowshon Moreno fans. I would much prefer Montee Ball to a guy like Zac Stacy, Ryan Mathews, Andre Ellington, or Shane Vereen, to list four guys who are hanging out around his ballpark. I think he's head and shoulders above those guys. But in my league where I own Montee Ball, I would give him in a heartbeat for Le'Veon Bell... and in my league where I own Bell, it would take a substantial extra piece to get me to move him for Montee Ball.

I don't think he's anything special, however, Peyton Manning and the rest of the Offense is so if he sees carries he's going to produce.

Getting first crack at the job is really nice. It's a plum job, at least for the time being. There's a big difference between getting first crack at the job and having it locked down, though. Montee Ball's getting first crack. Le'Veon Bell already has it locked down.

With that said, I had Ball at 14 in my last ranking update, making me one of the highest staffers on him. Recent news out of Dove Valley doesn't change my opinion on him, because this is more or less what I expected to be hearing out of Dove Valley. Fox and Elway have never been Knowshon Moreno fans. I would much prefer Montee Ball to a guy like Zac Stacy, Ryan Mathews, Andre Ellington, or Shane Vereen, to list four guys who are hanging out around his ballpark. I think he's head and shoulders above those guys. But in my league where I own Montee Ball, I would give him in a heartbeat for Le'Veon Bell... and in my league where I own Bell, it would take a substantial extra piece to get me to move him for Montee Ball.
I am not sure that Bell enjoys that much more security than Ball at the moment.

Pittsburgh has been kicking the tires on several FA RBs if I remember correctly. Whether this is an indication that Pitt isn't happy with their depth or with their RB production is anyone's guess, but the RB position in Pitt appears much more fluid than the RB position in Denver. If a guy like MJD ends up signing, people will reevaluate their position on Bell. If Pitt drafts a RB to replace a Redman/Jones/Dwyer, that RB is going to be viewed as a threat to steal carries. One of the prime reasons that Bell appears to be secure is because there's almost 0 competition available. It's almost certain that more will be added.

Meanwhile, while you speak of Ball having first crack, we've seen the first cracks of fellas like Hillman and Anderson and both have failed to be Liberty Bellesque. The competition in Denver is known. Both Anderson and Hillman have had their Shark Pool proponents. But, both have gotten at least marginal opportunity and failed to run with it. Meanwhile, Ball had at least a mediocre output for his situation, totaling 700 YFS and 4 TDs. It is a far cry from Bell's 1250 YFS and 8TDs, but to act like Ball was completely untested is misrepresenting his position.

Bell's name has more cache due to his age and his 2013 output, but when I end up ranking, I have a feeling that the two will be running neck-and-neck (confirmation bias is strong with this one). If Ball could be added for RB 20ish prices, I'd be all for it.

Pittsburgh has been kicking the tires on several FA RBs if I remember correctly. Whether this is an indication that Pitt isn't happy with their depth or with their RB production is anyone's guess, but the RB position in Pitt appears much more fluid than the RB position in Denver. If a guy like MJD ends up signing, people will reevaluate their position on Bell. If Pitt drafts a RB to replace a Redman/Jones/Dwyer, that RB is going to be viewed as a threat to steal carries. One of the prime reasons that Bell appears to be secure is because there's almost 0 competition available. It's almost certain that more will be added.

Meanwhile, while you speak of Ball having first crack, we've seen the first cracks of fellas like Hillman and Anderson and both have failed to be Liberty Bellesque. The competition in Denver is known. Both Anderson and Hillman have had their Shark Pool proponents. But, both have gotten at least marginal opportunity and failed to run with it. Meanwhile, Ball had at least a mediocre output for his situation, totaling 700 YFS and 4 TDs. It is a far cry from Bell's 1250 YFS and 8TDs, but to act like Ball was completely untested is misrepresenting his position.

Bell's name has more cache due to his age and his 2013 output, but when I end up ranking, I have a feeling that the two will be running neck-and-neck (confirmation bias is strong with this one). If Ball could be added for RB 20ish prices, I'd be all for it.
When did Anderson get his crack? :s

Gawain said:

PIT's RB depth chart is Bell.... then some guy named Alvester Alexander.

Redman/Jones/Dwyer were not brought back.

They need a #2 and #3 RB on the squad. They'll likely be drafting somebody.

thriftyrocker said:
Crank up the bandwagon

@AdamSchefterFormer Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, per league source.

3:02pm · 27 Mar 14
CJ Anderson..woo hoo!
I wonder who between Anderson and Hillman is the true handcuff for Ball?
You're already thinking of it backwards, my man. Anderson is going to emerge in this job. Ball is the compliment (a good sized one). THe question that needs asked is if the Broncos think they can give Hillman another shot or do they bring in someone in the draft.

thriftyrocker said:
Crank up the bandwagon

@AdamSchefterFormer Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, per league source.

CJ Anderson..woo hoo!
You're already thinking of it backwards, my man. Anderson is going to emerge in this job. Ball is the compliment (a good sized one). THe question that needs asked is if the Broncos think they can give Hillman another shot or do they bring in someone in the draft.
uh....uh.....no

thriftyrocker said:
Crank up the bandwagon

CJ Anderson..woo hoo!
uh....uh.....no
GO back and look at why I said last year Moreno would be the guy. The same rules still apply and Anderson is the back.

thriftyrocker said:
Crank up the bandwagon

CJ Anderson..woo hoo!
uh....uh.....no
GO back and look at why I said last year Moreno would be the guy. The same rules still apply and Anderson is the back.
I disagree and so does Elway.

thriftyrocker said:
Crank up the bandwagon

CJ Anderson..woo hoo!
uh....uh.....no
Just like Elway disagreed last year when he said Ball was their guy over Lacy? Go ahead and put your money on that pony...during national Liar's month in the NFL to boot. Just remember who told you first.

thriftyrocker said:
Crank up the bandwagon

CJ Anderson..woo hoo!
uh....uh.....no
Just like Elway disagreed last year when he said Ball was their guy over Lacy? Go ahead and put your money on that pony...during national Liar's month in the NFL to boot. Just remember who told you first.
I believe it was Elway who said Ball reminded him of Terrell Davis. "So confident is Elway in Ball that he is unlikely to re-sign last season's starter, Knowshon Moreno, even at a reduced rate. Moreno has generated little interest as a free agent despite generating more than 1,000 yards rushing, more than 500 yards receiving and scoring 13 touchdowns for the Broncos last season." Mike Klis: mklis@denverpost.com or twitter.com/mikeklis

thriftyrocker said:
Crank up the bandwagon

CJ Anderson..woo hoo!
uh....uh.....no
I believe it was Elway who said Ball reminded him of Terrell Davis. "So confident is Elway in Ball that he is unlikely to re-sign last season's starter, Knowshon Moreno, even at a reduced rate. Moreno has generated little interest as a free agent despite generating more than 1,000 yards rushing, more than 500 yards receiving and scoring 13 touchdowns for the Broncos last season." Mike Klis: mklis@denverpost.com or twitter.com/mikeklis
Maybe they should have started enforcing the concussion issue earlier then because Montee Ball is no where near what Terrell Davis was. I won't go back and forth with you on it all day because in the end its easy for you to cite the "credible" source. Who I am to question the great John Elway? But I will say I called it last year using common sense and Elway wouldn't be the first GM to make a bad draft pick.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Broncos "believe in" Montee Ball.
With Knowshon Moreno now a Dolphin, Ball finds himself atop the depth chart. The Denver Post reported earlier this month that Ball will get the first crack at starting this season. Ball struggled with ball security and pass protection early as a rookie, but closed out strong, averaging 5.87 yards per carry over his final 65 rushes. For the year, Ball's YPC was an impressive 4.66. Ball has monstrous fantasy upside in the Broncos' Peyton Manning-led offense.

Related: Knowshon Moreno

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Anderson had one good preseason game before he was hurt. Then he had a handful of carries in the regular season. He was behind Ball in the depth chart all season. What makes you think he suddenly vaults Ball? Anything can happen, but I doubt that Denver let Moreno walk because they think C.J. Anderson is their featured back. I suspect that they drafted Ball with the expectation that this would happen eventually. I think that they saw enough from Ball in 2013 on the field to feel confident in him going forward. He is a three down back and proved to be durable and capable in college. He passed the "eye test" in the NFL in 2013 and we saw enough of him to feel sure that he is at least a competent, if not great, NFL back.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Broncos "believe in" Montee Ball.
With Knowshon Moreno now a Dolphin, Ball finds himself atop the depth chart. The Denver Post reported earlier this month that Ball will get the first crack at starting this season. Ball struggled with ball security and pass protection early as a rookie, but closed out strong, averaging 5.87 yards per carry over his final 65 rushes. For the year, Ball's YPC was an impressive 4.66. Ball has monstrous fantasy upside in the Broncos' Peyton Manning-led offense.

Related: Knowshon Moreno

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Is this the same Denver Post that said the same thing last pre-season but added that Moreno may find himself cut??

Ball shoots into the 1st round of drafts IMO.

Hope Moreno got decent annual salary for that 1 year.

Anderson had one good preseason game before he was hurt. Then he had a handful of carries in the regular season. He was behind Ball in the depth chart all season. What makes you think he suddenly vaults Ball? Anything can happen, but I doubt that Denver let Moreno walk because they think C.J. Anderson is their featured back. I suspect that they drafted Ball with the expectation that this would happen eventually. I think that they saw enough from Ball in 2013 on the field to feel confident in him going forward. He is a three down back and proved to be durable and capable in college. He passed the "eye test" in the NFL in 2013 and we saw enough of him to feel sure that he is at least a competent, if not great, NFL back.
This guy isn't wearing rose colored glasses, well said.

Honestly, I don't have an answer that will knock the socks off anyone or will reveal a revelation. I just simply see what I see and believe what I believe and last year I was convinced from the first minute that, regardless of what was being said and speculated, that Moreno was going to be the guy that could actually DO what the Broncos were going to need done in their scheme.

And now, I think Anderson is that guy and that isn't to say what Ball can or can not do but I think the Broncos are going to quickly find out that Ball's strengths and how he helps the team will be in a different capacity than what a lot of people are assuming right now.

There is NO way I would invest in Montee Ball in fantasy unless, at a minimum, I also had CJ Anderson.

Ball shoots into the 1st round of drafts IMO.

Hope Moreno got decent annual salary for that 1 year.
32 team league?

You're going to take Ball over ADP, Shady, Charles, Lacy, about 4-5 other RBs, Megatron, Dez, Thomas, Green, Julio, Graham,etc, etc?

Ball is the runaway leader in the clubhouse to get most of the carries, IMO, but I wouldn't pencil him in for Moreno's 2013 numbers or grab him at RB1 prices, personally. Lots of questions still about pass protection and receiving ability yet to answer, as well as the likely regression of the Denver offense as a whole to consider.

Be interesting to see if CJ Anderson figures into the mix at all. They kept him around last year when they didn't have to.

Wouldn't SHOCK me to see them draft another back, though I wouldn't expect it to be a priority at all.

I think Ball is basically a JAG, but this is a golden opportunity as Moreno showed. His owners will have to hope he doesn't pull a Hillman.

This guy isn't wearing rose colored glasses, well said.
I agree the CJ Anderson stuff is a bit much

Don't recall the exact specifics of Anderson's situation, but IIRC he got hurt early in the preseason yet Denver still refused to expose him to waivers/practice squad even though they already had Moreno, Ball, and Hillman on the books. Reading the tea leaves, they obviously saw some value in him since they decided to keep him around even though he was a luxury RB3 with no special teams utility (that I'm aware of) and no immediate role on the team.

I liked him a little bit at Cal. Given that and the mild positive signs in the NFL, and he's at least a sleeper worth watching.

Fully expect Ball to be the frontrunner here. Wouldn't be a bad idea to tie down his backup just in case.

I think Ball is basically a JAG, but this is a golden opportunity as Moreno showed. His owners will have to hope he doesn't pull a Hillman.
Agree with this 100%. Ball is likely JAG, but JAG is plenty in Denver, provided he can lock down as much of the job (mainly the receiving work) as did Moreno. I'd personally be more willing to invest big in Ball in redraft vs dynasty, as I don't trust either Ball or the situation as much long term as I do short term.

Don't recall the exact specifics of Anderson's situation, but IIRC he got hurt early in the preseason yet Denver still refused to expose him to waivers/practice squad even though they already had Moreno, Ball, and Hillman on the books. Reading the tea leaves, they obviously saw some value in him since they decided to keep him around even though he was a luxury RB3 with no special teams utility (that I'm aware of) and no immediate role on the team.

I liked him a little bit at Cal. Given that and the mild positive signs in the NFL, and he's at least a sleeper worth watching.

Fully expect Ball to be the frontrunner here. Wouldn't be a bad idea to tie down his backup just in case.
Interesting development. The question is who will be the backup. Anderson did little last season, even down the stretch. I wasn't sold on him anyway. Since Moreno is now for sure not returning, I see the Broncos drafting a RB in the middle rounds. I will be curious to see where that guy gets drafted in redraft and in rookie drafts.

Rotoworld:

Montee Ball - RB - Broncos
Of Knowshon Moreno's 241 carries last season, 192 (79.7 percent) came against defenses playing six or fewer defenders in the box.
Moreno ranked 53rd in carries against seven-plus defenders in the box, despite ranking 13th in the league in total carries. Montee Ball won't necessarily be handed the same exact role -- the sophomore runner must prove to Peyton Manning that he won't fumble and can consistently pass protect -- but this is a mouth-watering situation for Ball's fantasy value. As for alternatives, C.J. Anderson ended 2013 ahead of Ronnie Hillman on Denver's depth chart. Anderson currently holds more Dynasty and re-draft "sleeper" value than Hillman.

Source: Chris Harris on Twitter

I'll say this. FF running backs score a lot of points when they have the opportunity to score points. Montee Ball's stock has to rise based off the opportunity alone.

Denver and Elway know what they want to do and letting Moreno walk says volumes to me about what they believe. Ball is in for a significant amount of carries. Opportunity equals points in this offense.
This assumes Ball is the guy that ends up with those opportunities and THAT is where people are assuming A LOT here.

If Ball gets Manning blown up or does like he did last year and fumbles, there are no opportunities when you aren't the lionshare guy on the field. And that's a point people need to remember. Moreno got to those numbers while absolutely dominating the workload. In the first 2/3 of the season he was on the field nearly ecery single play. That's not likely going to be the case this year unless Ball comes back as a vastly improved back.

The Broncos were very overt in keeping Anderson on the active roster despite every scenario suggesting they needed to move him to the PS and free up room. There is a reason for that. They see something and have him in mind for something he has shown them in the boring days of practice or film room or somewhere. It is not an accident.

Now, come the draft, it gets even murkier if they do draft a rb. That certainly can't be a boost of confidence for Ball if that happens but it's simple: The people invested in Ball are going to spin it their way until the wheels fall off but I have seen this before. Just like last year when the talk was all Ball and Moreno might get cut and hey what about this Hillman guy, I said a million times back then" this makes no sense. Moreno is the only guy on this team that can do what the Broncos will scheme to do and do the most important things well. And now, I just still don't see that in Ball.

What I saw in Ball was a fresh back that had the advantage of playing about 1/3 of the season, playing in very advantageous situations where no one was keying on him, and he was still coughing the ball up and missing assignments. That's not going to cut it.

But anyway, I don't own any of these players so I'm not going to get into it as much as I did in Adam's thread last year. I'll just leave it as "Remember Cj Anderson and definitely hedge your bets if you are a Ball owner this year".

I'll say this. FF running backs score a lot of points when they have the opportunity to score points. Montee Ball's stock has to rise based off the opportunity alone.

Denver and Elway know what they want to do and letting Moreno walk says volumes to me about what they believe. Ball is in for a significant amount of carries. Opportunity equals points in this offense.
This assumes Ball is the guy that ends up with those opportunities and THAT is where people are assuming A LOT here.

If Ball gets Manning blown up or does like he did last year and fumbles, there are no opportunities when you aren't the lionshare guy on the field. And that's a point people need to remember. Moreno got to those numbers while absolutely dominating the workload. In the first 2/3 of the season he was on the field nearly ecery single play. That's not likely going to be the case this year unless Ball comes back as a vastly improved back.

The Broncos were very overt in keeping Anderson on the active roster despite every scenario suggesting they needed to move him to the PS and free up room. There is a reason for that. They see something and have him in mind for something he has shown them in the boring days of practice or film room or somewhere. It is not an accident.

Now, come the draft, it gets even murkier if they do draft a rb. That certainly can't be a boost of confidence for Ball if that happens but it's simple: The people invested in Ball are going to spin it their way until the wheels fall off but I have seen this before. Just like last year when the talk was all Ball and Moreno might get cut and hey what about this Hillman guy, I said a million times back then" this makes no sense. Moreno is the only guy on this team that can do what the Broncos will scheme to do and do the most important things well. And now, I just still don't see that in Ball.

What I saw in Ball was a fresh back that had the advantage of playing about 1/3 of the season, playing in very advantageous situations where no one was keying on him, and he was still coughing the ball up and missing assignments. That's not going to cut it.

But anyway, I don't own any of these players so I'm not going to get into it as much as I did in Adam's thread last year. I'll just leave it as "Remember Cj Anderson and definitely hedge your bets if you are a Ball owner this year".
It is an assumption, but a pretty good one considering that:

a) he was a second round pick last year

b) he was second on the depth chart all last year

c) he played well last year

d) the Coach and GM have expressed confidence in Ball since allowing Moreno to walk

As for fumbling, that is a red herring. Anyone who saw the guy in college knows he is not a fumbler.

Pass blocking was something he DID have to work on last year, which is the main reason Moreno started instead of him. That's not uncommon for rookies. But by the end of the season he was blocking well.

He could get injured and that would change everything. But short of that, I don't see anyway he doesn't meet or exceed Moreno's production of 2013.

He could get injured and that would change everything. But short of that, I don't see anyway he doesn't meet or exceed Moreno's production of 2013.
I was with right up until you said this. Assuming a floor of 2103 Moreno is hugely risky. Ball is likely, IMO, a better runner than Moreno, sure, but it's a huge stretch to assume that he'll be as effective in the passing game. There's a ton of offseason left, and we really can't call anything with certainty right now. Also, Denver's offense is going to regress across the board, as record shattering seasons don't come along every year. How much they decline and who gets hit the hardest is certainly in question, but simply using the 2013 numbers as a floor for any of the Denver players is a pretty bad bet.

As for fumbling, that is a red herring. Anyone who saw the guy in college knows he is not a fumbler.
Yea, the fumble issue is way overblown. He had 2 in the first 3 weeks and that made it a big deal, but he only had 1 the rest of the season. And only like 3 his whole college career. Ball security is not a big issue for Ball.

Yea, the fumble issue is way overblown. He had 2 in the first 3 weeks and that made it a big deal, but he only had 1 the rest of the season. And only like 3 his whole college career. Ball security is not a big issue for Ball.
Sorry, didn't realize Ball played against NFL players in college. Different game at this level and while we can surely use past performance as a yard stick for predicting the future, the reality is he had issues and looked fairly pedestrian with other assignments. Something in my gut says Peyton Manning and the coaching staff in Denver isn't going to want to hear "but he didn't fumble in college" when he's turning the ball over. These kinds of things impact players (David Wilson). Maybe its nothing. Maybe its something, but it shouldn't be explained away and dismissed until we see what he can do on this level.

Given that Demarco Murray is ranke ahead of Ball in this mock and Doug Martin is ranked 10 spots lower, I'm going to pass on buying this.
Montee Ball being taken before Calvin Johnson. Ok. I'm no fantasy expert but every time I hear Michael Fabiano talk about fantasy football, I feel like a genius.
Going that high sounds crazy and i wouldn't do it, but Ball is going to be a consensus 2nd round fantasy pick later in the summer, possibly even late 1st.

If he looks like the clear starter once preseason hits he'll be one of the most hyped players in FF.

Users who are viewing this thread