What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (1 Viewer)

Some team will sign him, but he's had more than the official number of 7 concussions. At some point they make boxers retire due to head trauma. I'm not sure why Reed's allowed to keep playing. As a Skins fan I loved the guy when he played but at some point I switched over to dreading seeing him tackled, thinking he might not ever get up again.

Some team will sign him, but he's had more than the official number of 7 concussions. At some point they make boxers retire due to head trauma. I'm not sure why Reed's allowed to keep playing. As a Skins fan I loved the guy when he played but at some point I switched over to dreading seeing him tackled, thinking he might not ever get up again.
This. I can't help but picture him huddled over a bowl of soup trying to feed himself while shaking uncontrollably due to all the continued brain trauma he seems intent on subjecting himself too.

This. I can't help but picture him huddled over a bowl of soup trying to feed himself while shaking uncontrollably due to all the continued brain trauma he seems intent on subjecting himself too.
A lot of us are in agreement then. It's time to hang 'em up. 

These kinds of posts are so annoying (and disrespectful).  If you disagree my opinion, just write your opinion.  I couldn't answer your question even if I wanted to because I have zero idea what you disagree with.
I apologize.I honestly assumed it was sarcasm, which is why I asked. I think  someone who suffered significant life altering injuries in the workplace is deserving of some compensation from their billionaire boss. The team doctors are the ones evaluating the players to determine injuries in the first place. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize.I honestly assumed it was sarcasm, which is why I asked, Why don’t you think someone who suffered significant life altering injuries in the workplace is deserving of some compensation from their billionaire boss?
That's a good post.  I wasn't being sarcastic but I understand where you are coming from.  I believe all NFL players should have 100% medical coverage for their entire life.  It actually wouldn't cost much compared to the wealth of the NFL or compared to the impact that the game has on players' health.  Maybe it should take a player a few years to be completely vested but Jordan Reed should certainly qualify for lifelong medical coverage.  The NFL has never risen to the moral obligation of taking care of the health of its players.  I just don't like a system that gives incentive for a player to fake an injury.  All players have significant health consequences from the game and all should have medical coverage for life.

That's a good post.  I wasn't being sarcastic but I understand where you are coming from.  I believe all NFL players should have 100% medical coverage for their entire life.  It actually wouldn't cost much compared to the wealth of the NFL or compared to the impact that the game has on players' health.  Maybe it should take a player a few years to be completely vested but Jordan Reed should certainly qualify for lifelong medical coverage.  The NFL has never risen to the moral obligation of taking care of the health of its players.  I just don't like a system that gives incentive for a player to fake an injury.  All players have significant health consequences from the game and all should have medical coverage for life.
I edited my post slightly after your responded. I completely agree with the healthcare and NFL taking care of the players. It’s an absolute shame how many many of the previous generation of players were chewed up and spit out. I also get your point about faking but the team doctors are the ones typically making the injury calls in the  first place (which is a questionable practice to begin with) and I’m sure there’s a process for teams to challenge a players injury claim. 

Second time you mentioned this in this thread. You actually think he is faking his injuries?
Probably not.  I think it is legit.  He probably shouldn't play again for his long-term health.  But he has made enough money to last a lifetime.

Probably not.  I think it is legit.  He probably shouldn't play again for his health.
Ok, I got a good friend of mine who said a few times last year he thought he was milking his injury and I just don't see it.  The concussion he even suffered was when he begged the coaching staff to put him back into a preseason game because he wanted to make a good play before his preseason as over. He is of course one of the most prone to injury players I can recall but I just don't think it's because of lack of will or toughness.

AJ Green on the other hand, that guy stole money last year.

I believe all NFL players should have 100% medical coverage for their entire life.  It actually wouldn't cost much compared to the wealth of the NFL or compared to the impact that the game has on players' health.  Maybe it should take a player a few years to be completely vested but Jordan Reed should certainly qualify for lifelong medical coverage.  The NFL has never risen to the moral obligation of taking care of the health of its players.  I just don't like a system that gives incentive for a player to fake an injury.  All players have significant health consequences from the game and all should have medical coverage for life.
I agree about medical coverage for life for players. I don't, however, understand why you're so focused on the "incentive to fake an injury" side of the equation. The other side of the equation is teams minimizing, denying, mistreating injuries in NFL players in order to keep them on the field, jeopardizing their health. That's a far larger problem than potential injury faking. Unfortunately there's little now or little under a lifetime-medical-coverage plan that would disincentive teams from doing this. All the lifetime medical coverage would do is say "OK, harm's done now, here's help" without addressing the cause of some of the harm.

Ilov80s said:
I look at more like when the government pays farmers to leave their land barren. Sure Green got paid for not playing but that's what was best for the team. 
Maybe it worked out for the best but the team wanted him to play, they were not holding him out.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Rams have "spoken to" free agent TE Jordan Reed.

It's the first team Reed has been linked to since his release from the Redskins. Reed, of course, is well familiar with Sean McVay from his Redskins days. With Tyler Higbee coming off a breakout season and Gerald Everett under contract for 2020, it would be an odd fit from a targets standpoint, especially since the Rams are amongst the deepest teams in the league at wide receiver. Perhaps McVay is simply trying to do Reed a favor and kick start his market.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Rams

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Feb 28, 2020, 12:11 AM ET

Are Higbee or Everett going anywhere for 2020?  If not, perhaps McVay wants some 3 TE sets.
In last week I had been reading Everett could be made available  due to variety of factors ranging from Higbee 's emergence and fact he was already extended. Then with  Everett entering last year of his contract with other priorities to sign and need from some draft capital. So when I read the Reed report the first thing that I thought of was those rumors on Everett might have some legs.

Free agent TE Jordan Reed is visiting the Seahawks on Thursday.

It is Reed's first known visit since his release from the Redskins 21 days ago. That it is to Seattle is rather baffling considering the Seahawks just signed Greg Olsen and have Jacob Hollister and Will Dissly under contract. It would be a poor fit from both an on-field and fantasy perspective.

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 12, 2020, 2:20 PM ET

Free agent TE Jordan Reed is visiting the Seahawks on Thursday.

It is Reed's first known visit since his release from the Redskins 21 days ago. That it is to Seattle is rather baffling considering the Seahawks just signed Greg Olsen and have Jacob Hollister and Will Dissly under contract. It would be a poor fit from both an on-field and fantasy perspective.

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

Mar 12, 2020, 2:20 PM ET
He's still on the waiver wire in some of my leagues.  :toast:

If he plays again wouldn't surprise me to see him take a hit and see his head just get knocked off his body and roll to a stop on the field while everyone just stops play and watches incredulously.

JORDAN REED TE, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports the 49ers have spoken with free agent tight ends Jordan Reed and Delanie Walker.

The 49ers have kept their eye on veteran tight ends this offseason and that included Austin Hooper early in free agency. With Hooper signed to the largest tight end contract in the league, San Francisco has turned their attention to Reed and Walker, two players who have recently missed a lot of time with injuries. George Kittle will be 90% snap player and an early second-round fantasy pick even if the 49ers land a veteran like the ones mentioned here. 

RELATED: 

Delanie Walker

, San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 28, 2020, 7:59 PM ET

He should be thinking about his long term health you would think.  But if he wants to play that's his right.  Who are we to judge?  Having said that, you would think if he really wants to play he would choose a team where he wouldn't spend 90% on the bench.

He should be thinking about his long term health you would think.  But if he wants to play that's his right.  Who are we to judge?  Having said that, you would think if he really wants to play he would choose a team where he wouldn't spend 90% on the bench.
Never judged him for playing, would have likely if I was in his shoes for major reason he made some solid money early in his career but only in last two years has he got what I'd call a major payday. He made close to as much money in 2018 as he did in his 5 previous seasons and got a similar payday to 2018 last year.  First 5 years in the league he made about $10M, the last two years he made about $20M.

But if I was him I'd retire now because I don't think the pay he'll get makes the risk worth it any longer. Even if he's a limited part time player, which ostensibly would limit his chances of being injured,it only takes one play. He got put out for the season last year from a preseason game, after he begged the coaching staff to let him re-enter the game because had dropped a pass on the previous series. Just takes one play.

Now I've drafted him in a few leagues as a late round flier because his upside remains elite on per game basis so figured in TE premium leagues I'd take a shot and see if/where he lands and then re-assess. So I'm still one of few people who still invest in him, but would not hurt my feelings at all if he decided the pay was no longer worth it.

Man, he's been hurt so much and the concussions...I just can't see it but it's a shame because he absolutely won some people their leagues a few years ago when he had that run.  

49ers signed TE Jordan Reed, formerly of the Washington Football Team, to a one-year contract.

Reed will reunite with 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, who, along with his father Mike, initially drafted the 30-year-old with the No. 85 overall pick in 2013. Reed hasn't played a regular season snap since 2018, appearing in just 65-of-112 possible career games with seven documented concussions, but offers explosiveness in sprints ahead of Ross Dwelley and sixth-round rookie Charlie Woerner. George Kittle remains a second-round cornerstone even if Reed is available in the season opener.

Aug 3, 2020, 2:44 PM ET

With George Kittle, Brandon Aiyuk, and Deebo Samuel sidelined, 49ers TE Jordan Reed was "Jimmy Garoppolo’s favorite receiver" in last week's scrimmage. 

Reed shined in Jimmy G's best drive of last Friday's scrimmage, absorbing targets with Kittle, Aiyuk, and Samuel unable to go. Another team's scout told The Athletic that if he "can remain healthy, Reed would mitigate the 49ers’ lack of depth at receiver." It's certainly a giant "if," but you wouldn't have to use much fantasy draft capital to find out if Reed can be the beneficiary of a depleted pass catching group. Reed, suffering from concussions for most of his pro career, has never played a full season. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 1, 2020, 10:40 AM ET

Looks like he is back...

6 receptions for 49 yards and 2 TDs so far.

Started him in desperation in a deep dynasty league (30 roster) because I literally had no better option. This may be the only good thing to happen for my teams today with all the injuries. 

@Concept Coop, we need a thread rename please

Jordan Reed caught 7-of-8 targets for 50 yards and two scores in the 49ers' Week 2 win over the Jets.

Reed did his best George Kittle (out, knee) impression versus the Jets and it worked out quite well. He led the team with eight targets and was the only San Francisco player to score through the air. He got the starting nod in place of Kittle, who could return from his knee injury next week. If Kittle does miss extra time, Reed will become a viable streaming candidate at tight end. He'll be relegated to the bench on most downs once Kittle is healthy. Even at 30 years old, Reed appears to still have something left in the tank.

- Rotoworld
What Rotoworld forgot to put at the end was "... for now"

squistion said:
Looks like he is back...

6 receptions for 49 yards and 2 TDs so far.

Started him in desperation in a deep dynasty league (30 roster) because I literally had no better option. This may be the only good thing to happen for my teams today with all the injuries. 
I thought the guy who picked him up in our League was desperate. Obviously he had his ear to the ground. Kudos.

How to fix Eagles' Carson Wentz; no rebound for Drew Brees?

Excerpt:

The 49ers' secret weapon? The 49ers might look back at George Kittle's injury as a blessing in disguise at the end of the season. The temporary absence of the All-Pro tight end has enabled the 49ers to uncover the talents of a former Pro Bowler at the position. Jordan Reed stepped in for Kittle against the Jets in Week 2 and delivered a seven-catch, 50-yard effort with a pair of touchdowns that reminded the football world of his playmaking ability.

"That was great for Jordan," 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan told the media after the game. "We knew he had a chance to have a big game today. I don't know what he finished with, but he was the same guy he's always been. He beat man coverage, his hands were great, he did a good job in the run game and really helped us today."

Reed's impact is a significant development for a 49ers offense that could use another big-bodied pass-catcher to complement Kittle. The oft-injured veteran could be the answer -- if he can stay healthy -- as a natural flex tight end with the athleticism to win one-on-one battles against linebackers and safeties in space. Although he still appears a little rusty after sitting out the 2019 season with the seventh documented concussion of his football career (dating back to college), Reed's presence makes the 49ers' multi-tight end sets a nightmare to defend.

Updating a previous report, Jordan Reed (ankle) returned to Week 3 against the Giants.

Reed only missed a few minutes of game play after heading to the locker room to get his ankle looked at. He was taped up and immediately drew a target after retaking the field. Reed is the best pass catcher available to coach Kyle Shanahan right now.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Sep 27, 2020, 1:50 PM ET

Jordan Reed (knee, ankle) went back to the locker room in Week 3 against the Giants.

This time Reed was walking with a much worse limp, signaling that his day is likely done. Reed was grabbing at his knee on the bench, but he also has an ankle injury from earlier in the game. The veteran tight end caught 2-of-6 passes for 23 yards through two quarters. With George Kittle (knee) expected back next week, Reed's TE2 streamer appeal will be dwindled. 

Sep 27, 2020, 2:35 PM ET

Nice guy to talk to.   He'd already made $32M.   Obviously getting an extra $1M to blow out a knee was not worth it.  Wish for his sake he'd just call it a career and find the next thing in life.

Knee sprain does not equal blown out. 
He’s got free access to the best medical care in the world, of course the $1mm is worth it 

49ers placed TE Jordan Reed (knee) on injured reserve.

Reed's knee sprain has a 6-8 week timetable. He'll spend at least three of those weeks on IR. Reed's best case scenario is a late November return.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Oct 2, 2020, 11:21 AM ET

49ers designated TE Jordan Reed (knee) to return from injured reserve.

Reed went down in Week 3 with a knee sprain that was expected to cost him 6-8 weeks. He seems to be making good progress. The 49ers now have 21 days to activated Reed or shut him down for the year.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Oct 28, 2020, 1:26 PM ET

Jordan Reed (knee) was "limited" for Tuesday's practice.

With George Kittle landing on injured reserve, Reed's health has taken on increased importance. If Reed can get cleared for Thursday night's game against the Packers, he will offer low-end, plug-and-play TE1 potential vs. a struggling defense. If Reed doesn't go, Ross Dwelley will be the Niners' primary pass catcher up the seam. 

RELATED: 

Ross Dwelley

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter 

Nov 3, 2020, 4:38 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread