What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orange is the New Black - Netflix series (1 Viewer)

Instinctive said:
Two episodes in with my girlfriend, and we both enjoy it. If I read through the thread am I going to hit spoilers?
You should be fine at this point - it's mostly "I'm x episodes in and I like/don't like it" posts. I'd skip any of the links though.I finished up season 1. Took me a bit to get into it because I could figure if it was trying to be comedy or drama or what. Not going to get specific, but the last 6 episodes really sealed it for me and I thought it was great. The flashback scenes and overall tone of the show really kept me intrigued as it went on.9/10
Yeah, the 2nd half certainly picks up. Particularly, the last 3 episodes.
I love the way #### just starts to unravel from Larry's interview on. The interview was great.
Only read if you finished season 1...

My gripes are minor: Larry is a little too forgiving for my tastes, but I do like how he's a victim and kind of an ###.

Also, I didn't understand how Healy could go from a nice guy to basically letting someone attempt murder. I get that Chapman screwed him over and he's in hot water with his boss, but enough to where he's cool that someone goes after her with a shiv/cross thing? Seems a slight bit overboard.

Instinctive said:
Two episodes in with my girlfriend, and we both enjoy it. If I read through the thread am I going to hit spoilers?
You should be fine at this point - it's mostly "I'm x episodes in and I like/don't like it" posts. I'd skip any of the links though.I finished up season 1. Took me a bit to get into it because I could figure if it was trying to be comedy or drama or what. Not going to get specific, but the last 6 episodes really sealed it for me and I thought it was great. The flashback scenes and overall tone of the show really kept me intrigued as it went on.9/10
I love the way #### just starts to unravel from Larry's interview on. The interview was great.

My gripes are minor: Larry is a little too forgiving for my tastes, but I do like how he's a victim and kind of an ###.

Also, I didn't understand how Healy could go from a nice guy to basically letting someone attempt murder. I get that Chapman screwed him over and he's in hot water with his boss, but enough to where he's cool that someone goes after her with a shiv/cross thing? Seems a slight bit overboard.
Not sure what to think about Healy, but I buy the ending based on the way character's presented. It was, what, 4-5 episodes prior that he threw her in the SHU for dancing? And that was prior to "go #### yourself" and ratting him out to Fig.

Not sure I really buy the whole Healy thing, in general, but I'll go with it. I think they are stretching a bit, but they need a prison employee creating problems for Chapman. I might've preferred they just take out the lesbian fetish/hating thing, and just make him a simple, lonely, bitter #### head that had a thing for Chapman that's feeling more and more betrayed.

Men will do all sorts of mean sprited #### because they are lonely and rejected. Not sure I've ever met a man that just hates lesbians (though, working everyday in a women's prison might merge those two things.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the ending

It was a nice touch that Chapman actually ended up going with the "give her something she needs" approach to solve the conflict. If she lives, she certainly just gave Pennsatucky the one thing they all agreed she needed most.

Instinctive said:

I don't view Larry as a victim at all. He lied to Piper in a way that was obviously going to drive her towards Alex. He pretty shamelessly used Piper's prison experience to further his career. And he did it all while being whiny.

Instinctive said:

Not sure what to think about Healy, but I buy the ending based on the way character's presented. It was, what, 4-5 episodes prior that he threw her in the SHU for dancing? And that was prior to "go #### yourself" and ratting him out to Fig.

Not sure I really buy the whole Healy thing, in general, but I'll go with it. I think they are stretching a bit, but they need a prison employee creating problems for Chapman. I might've preferred they just take out the lesbian fetish/hating thing, and just make him a simple, lonely, bitter #### head that had a thing for Chapman that's feeling more and more betrayed.

Men will do all sorts of mean sprited #### because they are lonely and rejected. Not sure I've ever met a man that just hates lesbians (though, working everyday in a women's prison might merge those two things.
I agree, the ending is credible based on the bolded heel turn. But that turn pretty much came out of nowhere and seemed lazy.

Laziest/hardest to believe item was the cell phone in the wall :lol:

I'm not sure we really need spoiler tags for discussions of Piper and Larry's character.

I'll be the contrarian and say that I don't find Piper of Larry to be awful. I think they are both sometimes thoughtless and self-absorbed, but not in such a way that I find them odious or irredeemable. Piper certainly doesn't use people the way, say, Red does. And it's a new experience for Larry as well. I think we're supposed to find Piper and Larry naive, but I don't think they're bad people. The bad things they do, are all within the realm of careless things that even good people do.

The worst of these, I guess, is Piper's refusal to be with Whatshername for her mother's funeral, but Piper likely knew that she could either get out of the relationship (which was at least a little destructive) then or she could risk never getting out.

I'm not sure we really need spoiler tags for discussions of Piper and Larry's character.

I'll be the contrarian and say that I don't find Piper of Larry to be awful. I think they are both sometimes thoughtless and self-absorbed, but not in such a way that I find them odious or irredeemable. Piper certainly doesn't use people the way, say, Red does. And it's a new experience for Larry as well. I think we're supposed to find Piper and Larry naive, but I don't think they're bad people. The bad things they do, are all within the realm of careless things that even good people do.

The worst of these, I guess, is Piper's refusal to be with Whatshername for her mother's funeral, but Piper likely knew that she could either get out of the relationship (which was at least a little destructive) then or she could risk never getting out.
I agree, and I like that about her character. She's self-absorbed, a little manipulative, and a lot of her decisions leave people hurting, but she seems to generally be a good person trying to do the right thing. She's starting to get to know the uglier sides of herself, but certainly, this is no Walter White.

She's pretty normal (as are most of the characters on the show, which makes the character mistakes really stick out like a sore thumb). Every decision she's made is defensible and something a "good person" might also decide to do.

Of course, it's a little scary going forward with all this "good person that's a hot suburban white woman trying to do the right thing, but the results keep getting more and more disasterous" going on. Though Nancy Botwin, at one time, was a great character until it all went sideways (and MLP always played her well). The early evidence seems like they'll get it right this time and this is a far different sort of show.

This would be better set in the 70's or some time when surveilance camera's are not EVERYWHERE. In Jail's and prisons today there would be no way to get away with the stuff they are doing like sneaking into closets. Plus then you could have a cool soundtrack.
I just figure the jail they are in was BUILT in the 70's. And all the money for upgrades has gone ... somewhere else.

Tough cast of characters to look at episode after episode. Kohan must have really fought for this.
She probably did not have much of a problem. Netflix wants different shows. No way this cast would have made it on network TV
I'm sure Showtime and HBO both said 'no'. I hope this means Netflix will continue to be the place people go to make shows that cable/networks won't make.
Netflix I believe said they want to become the new HBO before HBO becomes the new netflix. T.V. Is in the middle of what happened to the music industry 5-6 years ago. Nobody wants to buy the entire CD when you can get the song for 99 cents.

Tough cast of characters to look at episode after episode. Kohan must have really fought for this.
She probably did not have much of a problem. Netflix wants different shows. No way this cast would have made it on network TV
I'm sure Showtime and HBO both said 'no'. I hope this means Netflix will continue to be the place people go to make shows that cable/networks won't make.
I finished the first season but would not recommend it to anyone. Waiting for the backlash in this thread wondering why everyone was lauding it.

Oz was more tantalizing then this.

Show is silly with zero sex-appeal.

I finished the first season but would not recommend it to anyone. Waiting for the backlash in this thread wondering why everyone was lauding it.Oz was more tantalizing then this.

Not sure why there'd be any backlash. No show's going to be liked by everyone, and I'd think that's more true of "Orange" than it is for most any other show. It's a show that every network likely would've said no to because it was bound to only appeal to a very small audience.

Though, I though there was plenty of sex appeal. Schilling alone would be enough for me. Pepron has her moments. Yael's got a great rack and the latinas, in general, are all pretty hot (even Daya's cute, in the Christo sort of way). Though, you're right. I can't imagine there will ever be a less attractive female ensemble in TV show.

I finished the first season but would not recommend it to anyone. Waiting for the backlash in this thread wondering why everyone was lauding it.Oz was more tantalizing then this.

Not sure why there'd be any backlash. No show's going to be liked by everyone, and I'd think that's more true of "Orange" than it is for most any other show. It's a show that every network likely would've said no to because it was bound to only appeal to a very small audience.

Though, I though there was plenty of sex appeal. Schilling alone would be enough for me. Pepron has her moments. Yael's got a great rack and the latinas, in general, are all pretty hot (even Daya's cute, in the Christo sort of way). Though, you're right. I can't imagine there will ever be a less attractive female ensemble in TV show.
Golden Girls says hello!

I finished the first season but would not recommend it to anyone. Waiting for the backlash in this thread wondering why everyone was lauding it.

Why does this show need sex appeal?

*Spoilers*

I'm just starting episode 13.

This show is all over the place. First few episodes were GREAT. I really enjoyed them. It was a very refreshing show. Smart, dark, funny.

But after a handful of episodes, it got all cutesy and feel-good. That lasted until about 2/3 of the way through the season, then it became a little more dark and serious. I really enjoyed that stretch.

Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there.

Illogical, contrived, stereotypical, ugh.

Seriously...every single male character in the show is a total d-bag moron that struggles with masculinity issues. They're all ignorant and threatened by women in power.

The final handful of episodes are totally hijacked by this religious storyline where one side is represented by snaggle-toothed hicks who are brainwashed and illogical while the other side is represented by a pretty, logical, compassionate main character.

Not sure I've seen a show more stereotypical and agenda-driven show before. It's a pity because it started out fine and had a nice stretch in the middle.

And seriously? Jason Biggs finds out that Piper is in love with and screwing her ex-gf in prison and a few days later he's visiting her and proposing? And she accepts?!? He was the only male character that didn't originally come off as a total groveling, weak, ignorant person. They couldn't even give him a spine for an entire season.

Not to mention the hardcore dance party these inmates get to have in the cafeteria when, at other times, they're not even allowed to hold hands. And they can have teh lesbian secks in the chapel anytime they want...no guards in that part of the prison I guess :rolleyes:

If they create a second season, I have no desire to continue watching.

*More spoilers*

Just finished episode 13.

WTF? These characters have become ridiculous caricatures at this point. Really lame.

With that said, I kind of like the way it ended. But that's only a very slight 'like' in a sea of pretentious crap.

If I'm being too harsh, it's because the show had a lot of potential and I'm sad that it was mostly wasted as the season went on.

Two of the guards are screwing inmates. The other two guards are screwing each other. Two counselor's are pervs. Lesbians all over.

Show is trying to be titillating and it's failing miserably.

Two of the guards are screwing inmates. The other two guards are screwing each other. Two counselor's are pervs. Lesbians all over.

I suspect you overestimate the true sex appeal of real life women prisoners, lesbian prisoners, lesbians, prison guards, and lonely, perverted men.

I suspect you overestimate the true sex appeal of real life women prisoners, lesbian prisoners, lesbians, prison guards, and lonely, perverted men.
So they are trying to be realistic?

So they are trying to be realistic?
As much as most other show. Maybe a little more. On many levels, I'm sure it's not a terrible realistic show.

But if they try to make a lot of the characters look more like actual prisoners, I'm not holding that against the show. Most shows are afraid to less attractive women. I don't mind looking at hot women, but it's nice to see a show not rely on hot women and sex appeal. There's porn and 99.99999% of other TV shows for that.

Yeah, I don't get this. I have the innerwebz for pr0n and "sex-appeal" I don't need to have "hot chicks" in a dramady about a woman's prison. Some of you act like you're 12. We get it, you ain't no "h0mo" and you like hot chicks.

Vike Me said:

Yeah, I don't get this. I have the innerwebz for pr0n and "sex-appeal" I don't need to have "hot chicks" in a dramady about a woman's prison. Some of you act like you're 12. We get it, you ain't no "h0mo" and you like hot chicks.
My point is they are going for sex and titillation not realism. Yet we mainly get the cast from the star wars bar. They don't mix very well. If I was complaining that Breaking Bad did not have enough sex appeal I would be the 12-year-old you're talking about.

I don't concede that a show set in a female prison requires sex appeal. This assumes some fantasy that prison isn't horrific.

During these sexy scenes, did you picture a saxophone?

I don't concede that a show set in a female prison requires sex appeal. This assumes some fantasy that prison isn't horrific.

Nothing to concede. All the guards are screwing in the prison either with each other or prisoners. Their are two counselors. One is jerking off in his office and he's not even the pervy one. The hot warden chick? All they do is sexualize her.

The BIL talked Biggs into doing a story about "edging."

Haven't even gotten to the prisoners.

The whole show is trying to tap into sex appeal.

Nothing to concede. All the guards are screwing in the prison either with each other or prisoners. Their are two counselors. One is jerking off in his office and he's not even the pervy one. The hot warden chick? All they do is sexualize her.

Or they're finding humor in sex.

So your complaint is they are going for "sex appeal" and not using hot people?

Do you think regular "non hot" people don't have sex? Do you think everyone in prison is "hot"?

No. Not really.

6 episodes in and I am really enjoying this show but I really don't know why I am liking it so much. It is good but not great. It's not funny but it has it's moments. The show has been able to hold my attention, which can be short at times, and keep me wanting more by the end of each episode. It's the characters and the actors casted that I seem to be liking the most. That, and all of the bewbies.

It took me a while to pinpoint where I recognize the CO Sam Healy from. It was his voice that gave it away. He's Steve from Deadwood, this character had me cracking up every time he was on screen.

Count me in the "good, not great" camp. I think it's well-done but it can be hard to watch at times - after I've finished an episode, I rarely want to jump right into the next one (which is weird for me because I usually binge watch shows when possible).

enjoyed the show, thought it was pretty well made.

did not care too much for the mendez quick fall in love with the inmate storyline, seemed like he was a sleeze for any inmate and this one he falls in love for.. that was a stretch..

didn't love the ending, mainly because i didnt want to see her sentence increased or get life in prison for a murder.. that would be a bummer.

overall was a good summer watch and will be tuning in next year..

i'll be singning up for netflix periodically for there original show content..

its great on week long vacation or long summer stretches, caught iup on the fall, house of cards and orange, gonna tackle arrested development before i cancel again in september...

I'm really starting to like the Crazy Eyes character.
The scene with Crazy Eyes and her parents coming to visit may have been the best scene in the entire season. So many questions after that! How is it that Crazy Eyes is the one we don't get a flashback for? I'd watch a whole episode just with her having dinner with her Mom and Dad. I'm absolutely fascinated by that dynamic, yet nothing came of it.

I kept waiting for the Crazy Eyes flashback episode but it never happened. Maybe in season two.

Good show, but got too sappy towards the end.

Sarnoff said:
I'm really starting to like the Crazy Eyes character.
The scene with Crazy Eyes and her parents coming to visit may have been the best scene in the entire season. So many questions after that! How is it that Crazy Eyes is the one we don't get a flashback for? I'd watch a whole episode just with her having dinner with her Mom and Dad. I'm absolutely fascinated by that dynamic, yet nothing came of it.
:goodposting:

She's one of my favorite characters.

just finished the chicken episode last night and felt like it was an example of how they could be successful. nice range to the storytelling without going over the top which was my main complaint with "Weeds".

Did anyone else notice how hot the Asian prisoners were in the WAC episode? Not the old lady with the mustache, I mean the young ones in the campaign speech scene. :wub:

Did anyone else notice how hot the Asian prisoners were in the WAC episode? Not the old lady with the mustache, I mean the young ones in the campaign speech scene. :wub:
I love that you felt the need to clarify 'not the old one with the mustache'. Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread