What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Fitzgerald (3 Viewers)

Larry Fitzgerald is impressed by the tempo of new coach Kliff Kingsbury's offense.

"It’s not so much what he’s installing that stand out; it's how its run, the tempo of it," Fitzgerald said. "Every single day, with more experience, we were able to run it faster and faster and faster, get more plays in more efficiently." Arizona ran the second-fewest offensive plays in the league last season at 902. Under Kingsbury, it would not be surprising if they were near the top of the league this year. That extra volume will provide a massive boost to what looks like an undervalued fantasy offense.

SOURCE: MMQB

Jul 16, 2019, 10:03 AM ET

In the face of the trashiness that AB showed, and the continuous "me over team" this league continues to march towards, bumping this thread to show my appreciation of the classiest guy in the NFL, a guy who continuously raises his own bar while staying faithful to the team and his teammates.

Reminder of how incredible he is as a player, person, and personality, and how rarer this is becoming in today's NFL and in pro sports overall.

Larry Fitzgerald's pair of 40-yard catches in Sunday's tie with the Lions were his first since Oct. 2015.

Fitz notched grabs of 41 and 45 yards in Kyler Murray's debut, with the 45-yarder his longest reception in half a decade. No. 1 overall pick Murray was chewing up air yards, signaling not only the return of the deep ball to the Cardinals' offense, but an entirely different philosophy. Increased usage down the field — something Fitz insists he is capable of — would add some long-missing ceiling to his still robust floor.

SOURCE: azcardinals.com

Sep 10, 2019, 3:04 PM ET

Larry Fitzgerald caught 5-of-11 targets for 104-scoreless yards in the Cardinals' Week 2 loss to the Ravens.

Fitzgerald looks a lot like the No. 1 pass-game option in the Cardinals' pass-heavy offense after two weeks. Kyler Murray has zeroed in on his slot receivers in this Kliff Kingsbury offense, as Fitz (24 targets this season) and Christian Kirk (20) continue to be the unit's featured pass-game weapons. Fitz's big 54-yard gain was more a result of the Ravens blowing a coverage, but the 36-year old otherwise earned his production and even had a highlight-worthy one-handed snag. He needs to be in fantasy lineups ahead of Week 3's matchup against the Panthers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry Fitzgerald caught 6-of-8 targets for 58 yards in the Cardinals' Week 5 win over the Bengals.

It was a disappointing effort on an afternoon where both Christian Kirk and Damiere Byrd were inactive. Although his setup continues to remain gorgeous on paper, Fitz is now just 16/141 over his past three games. He has managed to catch at least five passes each time out, keeping his PPR production afloat. Fitz was delivering big plays in Weeks 1 and 2, and the Cardinals are going to need more of them. "Vs. ATL" is a juicy Week 6 matchup.

probably dropable at this point.   Seems like Murray has a problem with pulling the trigger.  IMO
Not sure if it's a matter of Murray being timid. It just seems like Murray either wants to dump it off quickly OR he wants to throw a bomb down the field. And Fitzgerald is rarely in a position to take advantage of either situation.

Larry Fitzgerald caught 4-of-4 targets for 38 yards in the Cardinals' Week 9 loss to the 49ers.

In other words, he stayed invisible. The only time Fitz got any screen time was when the refs debated throwing a flag on him for an illegal block. They did not. Bottled up for 7/48 over his past three games, Fitz will be hard to trust as a WR3 even for next week's delectable matchup with the Bucs.

Nov 1, 2019, 12:26 AM ET

Larry Fitzgerald caught 8-of-8 targets for 71 yards in the Cardinals' Week 10 loss to the Bucs.

The catches were Fitzgerald's most since Week 1, while the yards were his most since Week 2. He still averaged a sub-tight end 8.9 yards per catch, not hinting at the revived big-play ability he displayed in September. Fitz will be a low-upside WR4 for next week's rematch with the 49ers' conference-best defense.

Larry Fitzgerald caught all five of his targets for 37 yards and one touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 11 loss to the 49ers.

It was Fitzgerald's first touchdown since Week 3, and he's been held under 100 yards in nine straight games. He's failed to top 50 yards six times in that span. Fitzgerald has been dangerously close to being droppable in 12-team leagues but the touchdown bought him some more time. The Cardinals are going into their bye this week ahead of a Week 13 date with the Rams.

Nov 17, 2019, 8:05 PM ET

Larry Fitzgerald caught 6-of-7 targets for 56 yards in the Cardinals' Week 13 loss to the Rams.

Fitzgerald ended up leading the team in all receiving categories, which summarizes how awful the offense looked this week. The veteran slot receiver only has three touchdowns this season and hasn't eclipsed 75 yards since Week 2. Fitzgerald just doesn't have enough juice left to reach a ceiling, rendering him a low-floor flex play in good matchups. The Cardinals host the Steelers next week.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:12 PM ET

Larry Fitzgerald caught 4-of-7 targets for 48 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 16 win over the Seahawks.

Fitzgerald nearly had a second touchdown, but it was ruled an incompletion upon further review. His score was a nice snag from 21 yards out that also featured some nifty ability after the catch. Still, the 36-year-old WR has had more than seven targets in just one game since Week 7 and could be without Kyler Murray (hamstring) in Week 17. Continue to treat him as a low-ceiling WR4 with or without Murray against the Rams.

Published Sun Dec 29 7:19:00 p.m. MT 2019 

(Rotoworld) Larry Fitzgerald caught 4-of-7 targets for 45 yards in the Cardinals' Week 17 loss to the Rams.

Analysis: Fitzgerald ends what could be his final NFL season with 75 receptions, 804 yards, and four touchdowns on 109 targets. The big slot receiver began the year with back-to-back 100-yard games but was unable to crack even 72 yards in a game for the rest of the season. Fitzgerald likely just ran out of gas while playing in his 16th NFL season, but even a down year for Larry resulted in a historic feat; Fitzgerald became the fifth player to catch more than 70 passes as a 36-year-old. The future Hall of Fame receiver will have a retirement decision to make over the next couple of months.

Larry Fitzgerald will return for his 17th season.

Fitzgerald easily could have walked into the sunset after last season, but he has opted to play at least one more year. The veteran reportedly really enjoyed the culture under coach Kliff Kingsbury and will continue to mentor the Cardinals' young receiving group. Fitzgerald was a near full-time player in 2019 but may begin to lose some snaps in 2020 if Arizona can get some of their young players to emerge. Fitzgerald shouldn't be selected as more than a low-ceiling WR5 in summer fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: AZCardinals.com

Jan 15, 2020, 9:35 AM ET

He's not that far behind Rice, he's only 217 away. He could pass that in three years, even if his production continues to decline somewhat.

Good for him.  if he still wants it he can be productive.  No longer a center piece but if I needed 8 yards for a first down in a playoff game I would want to be throwing to him.  He would catch it or die trying and after he would make the right decision as to getting out of bounds or staying in bounds as the situation requires. Great football I.Q. can compensate for the loss of a step or two.  Great hands, route running, and body awareness never go out of style.

Thought I typed in ebay.com on my browser and THIS Matt Waldman article from June 2004 came up on my screen. 

excerpts:
The fact of the matter is Larry Fitzgerald’s game is The Truth. And the question whether Fitzgerald will become an elite, NFL receiver isn’t “if,” but “when.” 
Fitzgerald is the epitome of class on and off the field,

Larry Fitzgerald caught 7-of-7 targets for 50 yards in the Cardinals' Week 2 win over Washington. 

Fitzgerald masterfully found soft spots in the Washington defense and served as an outlet for Kyler Murray when Murray couldn't get the ball to DeAndre Hopkins. Fitzgerald will likely be a low-ceiling option in a highly productive Arizona offense when the Cards play the Lions in Week 3. 

- Rotoworld

Larry Fitzgerald caught 6-of-8 targets for 62 yards in Week 7 against Seattle.

Fitzgerald joined Jerry Rice as the only two receivers with 1,400 career receptions. This was his best game of the season, though he need overtime to get it. Fitzgerald has still yet to score a touchdown through seven weeks.

- Rotoworld

Larry Fitzgerald tested positive for COVID-19 and will miss Week 12's game against the Patriots. 

Fitzgerald has played 80 percent of the Cardinals' offensive snaps and has the second most targets on the team behind DeAndre Hopkins, so his absence will certainly open up more opportunity for Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella. Isabella should be the primary beneficiary of Fitzgerald missing this week's game, as Fitzgerald has played 87 percent of his snaps this season from the slot and Isabella -- in limited usage -- has played in the slot on 86 percent of his snaps. Twenty-one of Isabella's 24 targets this season have come from the slot. He becomes a WR3 with upside in PPR formats. 

RELATED: 

Andy Isabella

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Nov 26, 2020, 11:42 AM ET

Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said Larry Fitzgerald remains on the reserve/COVID-19 list and is unsure for Week 13. 

Fitzgerald returning for this week's game against the Rams would be a surprise at this point. Andy Isabella would continue to operate as the team's slot wideout if Fitzgerald misses Week 13. Last week against the Patriots, Isabella played 56 percent of the team's offensive snaps and drew six targets -- the second most, behind DeAndre Hopkins. 

RELATED: 

Andy Isabella

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter 

Dec 4, 2020, 2:20 PM ET

Cardinals activated WR Larry Fitzgerald from the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Fitz missed the past two games, a period in which Kyler Murray battled a shoulder injury and the Cardinals' offense looked bad. Fitzgerald drew a season-high 10 targets in the Cardinals' Week 11 loss to the Seahawks before going down. Provided his conditioning is up to speed, Fitz should immediately resume operating as the Cardinals' No. 3 receiver in the middle of the field. 

Dec 8, 2020, 3:55 PM ET

Larry Fitzgerald focused on 'staying alive', not football future, during bout with COVID-19

Future Hall of Fame receiver Larry Fitzgerald returned from the Arizona Cardinals' reserve/COVID-19 list this week after missing the past two games. The 37-year-old didn't sound like he had the easiest time fighting the virus.

Despite missing his first two games since 2014, Fitzgerald told reporters Thursday he wasn't pondering his future during his battle with COVID-19.

"I didn't really look at it like that," Fitzgerald said, per Darren Urban of the team's official site. "It was more the immediate future like staying alive and things of that nature. Football, and how long I'll play football, didn't really cross my mind."

Fitzgerald said he lost nine pounds and still hasn't regained his sense of smell or taste.

"There were a couple days I didn't feel great," he said.

The 17-year-pro said the virus caused him to "reevaluate things," and he even updated his willwhile out with the virus.

"I got my estate planning all done up again, I revised my will," Fitzgerald said. "I did a lot of stuff. When you're sitting at home and you're watching how many people are dying every day, you really kind of reevaluate things. It makes you appreciate the health that you have."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the "Cardinals are not optimistic" that WR Larry Fitzgerald (groin) will play in Week 17 against the Rams.

The Cardinals have up until an hour and a half before kickoff to make a final decision on Fitzgerald but it doesn't sound like he will play. With Christian Kirk on the reserve/COVID-19 list, DeAndre Hopkins could post a career-high in targets if the Rams find a way to make this game competitive. KeeSean Johnson and Andy Isabella will likely start for Arizona. Johnson typically plays a mix of offense and special teams while Isabella has been a healthy scratch in recent weeks. It's hard to expect much from either receiver to close out the regular season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 3, 2021, 8:22 AM ET

Multiple NFL executives told The Athletic’s Mike Sando they expect Larry Fitzgerald to retire before the 2021 season.

Fitzgerald is a free agent for the first time in his career. Entering his age-37 season, the expectation is he'll retire, but it's possible he could sign with a contender for a chance to win a Super Bowl, something he's never done in his career. The first-ballot Hall of Famer remained effective out of the slot last year, posting a 54/409/1 line on 72 targets. With the Cardinals signing A.J. Green, the door looks closed on Fitzgerald returning to Arizona.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 3, 2021, 10:42 AM ET

Don’t understand why Arizona signed Green instead of Larry.  Am I missing something?
I have the same question not really sure. Green seemed more washed up than Fitzgerald to me.

The Cardinals use a lot of receivers so always room for one more.

Fitzgerald may actually retire and maybe the Cardinals know that. Just wishful thinking on my part that maybe he wants to play another year.

I have the same question not really sure. Green seemed more washed up than Fitzgerald to me.

The Cardinals use a lot of receivers so always room for one more.

Fitzgerald may actually retire and maybe the Cardinals know that. Just wishful thinking on my part that maybe he wants to play another year.
Didn't he consider retirement last year?  I would put the likelihood at around 70%

Users who are viewing this thread