What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (3 Viewers)

Quick victory lap for those of us who took the Moncrief plunge last week. I spent 20% which is looking like a steal right now....hopefully he can keep it up as TY gets healthy again and the Colts presumably get the offense back on track
20? Jeez. He went for over 80% in all 3 of my blind bid leagues he wasn't drafted in.

Quick victory lap for those of us who took the Moncrief plunge last week. I spent 20% which is looking like a steal right now....hopefully he can keep it up as TY gets healthy again and the Colts presumably get the offense back on track
20? Jeez. He went for over 80% in all 3 of my blind bid leagues he wasn't drafted in.
I got him for 30% in my league and was laughed at no one else bid any more than 10% lol money well spent

I got him for 30% in my league and was laughed at no one else bid any more than 10% lol money well spent
Yeah my league is traditionally conservative with their FAAB money, esp at the beginning of the season. I took advantage of that knowledge to make sure I ended up with him. Also got Eifert for another 35%. Got some comments about how much I spent at the time but I doubt anyone's laughing now

People in my league thought I was nuts for spending 17% on him (traditionally a cheap FAAB league).

With TY healthy, Moncrief likely doesn't see the opposing defense top cover corner or double teams rolled his way. TY can still take the top off a defense and scares teams with his speed, so I think Moncrief will benefit as Luck doesn't tend to lock on and force it. That and Andre looking older, Moncrief looks to be a solid WR2 with mixed in WR1 and a clunker or 2 performances in there.
Concerned a bit that Indy's offense is looking so poor. Will be hard for him to put up big numbers with a healthy Hilton if Luck is only supporting one startable FF WR. Very encouraging how he has looked so far though. As an owner in dynasty/deep keepers, this is happening a lot faster than I thought.

Sabertooth said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
So - is Moncrief now the No. 1 receiver in Indy?
I think so. He's got the body style and ability. Does he also lead the team in targets?
I believe he does. Now, granted Hilton missed time Week 1, but I think Moncrief and Hilton are now even in targets on the season.

Sabertooth said:
I just gave up the potential #1 pick in next year's rookie draft for Moncrief.
That seems unreasonably extreme to me. Anything in the top-3 is huge overpay.

But I shouldn't be speaking. I was soooooo wrong about this guy.

Sabertooth said:

Maybe. But I look at it this way : He just turned 22. So he's basically still rookie aged.

We know he can play at a high level.

We know he is in a great system.

We know they are going to use him.

We don't know who the top 3 picks will be next season.

We don't know if they can actually play.

We don't know where they will end up.

Easy choice for me. Sometimes you just have to believe what you are seeing. He's played against two pretty good teams and the Colts have yet to get rolling and he's still putting up numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabertooth said:

Maybe. But I look at it this way : He just turned 22. So he's basically still rookie aged.

Easy choice for me. Sometimes you just have to believe what you are seeing. He's played against two pretty good teams and the Colts have yet to get rolling and he's still putting up numbers.
I think the train has left the station on Moncrief

Is he a sell in redraft? Thinking Andre and his big contract might block him from getting full snaps. That gm is a stubborn sort ie trent

What kind of value does this dude have? I have 2 qbs, just offered Peyton for Melvin Gordon, he countered w/ Peyton & Moncrief. I think thats too steep.

Can he put up 90-1200-8?

Is he a sell in redraft? Thinking Andre and his big contract might block him from getting full snaps. That gm is a stubborn sort ie trent
Everybody is for sale. It depends on your team needs. But I think he's a top 15 fantasy receiver here on out.

I know in one league no one would buy him if I was selling. Lot of guys in that league love "proven" guys over someone like a Moncrief. Which is fine with me.

Sabertooth said:

I wouldn't have pulled the trigger, but I fully understand and respect your logic. You could end up with a Trent. You also could end up with an Amari Cooper, though.

For the second week in a row, Moncrief looks like by far the best receiver on this team. I had more faith in Andre Johnson, but the difference between the two looked massive.

Sabertooth said:

I wouldn't have pulled the trigger, but I fully understand and respect your logic. You could end up with a Trent. You also could end up with an Amari Cooper, though.

For the second week in a row, Moncrief looks like by far the best receiver on this team. I had more faith in Andre Johnson, but the difference between the two looked massive.
Could end up with Watkins too. I own Watkins and felt the need to add a receiver. I value Moncrief higher than Watkins right now.

Everybody is for sale. It depends on your team needs. But I think he's a top 15 fantasy receiver here on out.
i want to hear why you think this. Are you assuming TY is not going to be a top 10 WR ROS? If you assume he plays to projection and is top 10 WR.... looking historically at the luck years, the 2nd best colt pass catcher from 2012-2014 doesnt get close to top 15 production. this would have to be the first season in luck's tenure that he'd have two 1000 yard WR's.... not impossible but it hasnt happened to date.

i want to hear why you think this. Are you assuming TY is not going to be a top 10 WR ROS? If you assume he plays to projection and is top 10 WR.... looking historically at the luck years, the 2nd best colt pass catcher from 2012-2014 doesnt get close to top 15 production. this would have to be the first season in luck's tenure that he'd have two 1000 yard WR's.... not impossible but it hasnt happened to date.
eye test. He looked very good last night. And he is getting better every week.

You do understand that an elite QB can have two top 15 WRs? DEN has it with DT and Sanders......GB did last year with Jordy and Cobb.

Maybe Luck hasn't had a WR as talented as Moncrief alongside Hilton.

Look, my two eyes never lie :yes: .........Moncrief is the real deal. Big, fast, run nice routes, and Luck so far likes throwing to him. Hilton has never been a volume WR, and AJ looks done to me.....just a possession slot receiver. Moncrief could easily be a top 15 WR this year. He already has 12 rec, 183 yds, and 2 TDs. With Luck tossing the rock and their schedule getting easier, no reason that Moncrief can't average 5-6 rec for 70 yds and a TD every other game. That would add up to about 90 rec, 1150 yds, and 9 TD. Easily top 15 with those stats. Moncrief may be a little inconsistent since there are many mouths to feed in IND, but many will have him as a WR3, so you just enjoy the ride.

He's played against two very good defenses and is currently sitting in the top 10. He played the Bills and the Jets. Both were considered top units heading into the season. And he's still in the top 10.

I'm not saying I think he'll be second fiddle to Hilton. I think he becomes the primary guy based on his size and skillset. Hilton is not cut out to be a super high volume guy. He's best used streaking down the field. I think Moncrief fills the role of target monster moving forward. I'd be curious to see the snap counts from last night.

Donte is on the rise but I don't see him passing T.Y. at all this season. They're totally different receivers but T.Y. in my opinion has more trust from Luck and runs more favorable routes. If memory serves me correct TY has had 130-140 targets each season ( 13 & 14 ) and I bet barring injury he has the same this season.

You do understand that an elite QB can have two top 15 WRs? DEN has it with DT and Sanders......GB did last year with Jordy and Cobb.

Maybe Luck hasn't had a WR as talented as Moncrief alongside Hilton.

Look, my two eyes never lie :yes: .........Moncrief is the real deal. Big, fast, run nice routes, and Luck so far likes throwing to him. Hilton has never been a volume WR, and AJ looks done to me.....just a possession slot receiver. Moncrief could easily be a top 15 WR this year. He already has 12 rec, 183 yds, and 2 TDs. With Luck tossing the rock and their schedule getting easier, no reason that Moncrief can't average 5-6 rec for 70 yds and a TD every other game. That would add up to about 90 rec, 1150 yds, and 9 TD. Easily top 15 with those stats. Moncrief may be a little inconsistent since there are many mouths to feed in IND, but many will have him as a WR3, so you just enjoy the ride.
The Colts have scored the fewest points through two weeks. Need to be careful about projecting last year's numbers for Mr. Luck.

Through two weeks Moncrief is WR8 in my PPR league. That's with the offense struggling. I think he's got potential to grow from there. I don't think we've seen his best games yet.

Through two weeks Moncrief is WR8 in my PPR league. That's with the offense struggling. I think he's got potential to grow from there. I don't think we've seen his best games yet.
They won't be up against Cro and Revis every week. I think you are stretching a bit if you think WR8 is even a possible place for him to finish.

They won't be up against Cro and Revis every week. I think you are stretching a bit if you think WR8 is even a possible place for him to finish.
yea, what a couple of scrubs...
Just put him on ignore. Makes the board experience 14% better. Heck I'm surprised he's even here with the Hawks being 0-2.

Yeah, I'm not sure what his point was there. The Jets defense is probably the best in the game. With Buffalo last week I'd say the Colts' toughest matchups are already behind them.

Yeah, I'm not sure what his point was there. The Jets defense is probably the best in the game. With Buffalo last week I'd say the Colts' toughest matchups are already behind them.
Gotta be schtick, bad schtick

future/current stud, the guy just has it, you can see it ...He's going to keep getting looks and Indy should get better, the next few games look like some real nice matchups. I should have bid more last week for him dammit

Unless his point was that Revis and Cro eliminating Hilton and AJ opened the door for Moncrief. But based on the fact that AJ looks like toast and Moncrief was reeling in the targets in week 1 too, I'd say it's a poor argument.

Unless his point was that Revis and Cro eliminating Hilton and AJ opened the door for Moncrief. But based on the fact that AJ looks like toast and Moncrief was reeling in the targets in week 1 too, I'd say it's a poor argument.
Cro and Revis didn't look good covering Donte. Nobody did.

A big part of Luck struggling (after his Oline and some craptacular play calling) was TY being hurt. Watching the game, you saw TY limping out of the huddle, even being helped off of the field by teammates after a play one time. Hilton still played almost the entire game, but was just keeping the DB on his side busy. Luck wasn't even looking his way with one on one matchups, which never happens with Hilton healthy.

I like Moncrief, but with Johnson looking old, and TY barely able to run, he got the bulk of the looks. I think many may be underestimating how important TY is to Luck on almost every play. The offense gets a bit better with a healthy TY keeping a CB busy and making a S play deep on his side of the field almost every down. It might even help Moncreif, not detract. I think it depends on how well the Indy offense plays. It's got to get better, right? (hope)

A big part of Luck struggling (after his Oline and some craptacular play calling) was TY being hurt. Watching the game, you saw TY limping out of the huddle, even being helped off of the field by teammates after a play one time. Hilton still played almost the entire game, but was just keeping the DB on his side busy. Luck wasn't even looking his way with one on one matchups, which never happens with Hilton healthy.

I like Moncrief, but with Johnson looking old, and TY barely able to run, he got the bulk of the looks. I think many may be underestimating how important TY is to Luck on almost every play. The offense gets a bit better with a healthy TY keeping a CB busy and making a S play deep on his side of the field almost every down. It might even help Moncreif, not detract. I think it depends on how well the Indy offense plays. It's got to get better, right? (hope)
Good observation but I'd err on the side of TY helping Moncrief's value. Moncrief had a ton of targets in game one before TY went down so we already know he's going to be a vital part of the passing game even when TY gets better

Moncreif is the best outside WR Luck has ever had. He's better than 85 year old Reggie Wayne and 92 year old Andre. Will be interesting if Luck can have two top 20 wrs all year? He never has before I don't think.

Hoss Style said:

He didn't get the bulk of the looks though. He got the same amount of looks as TY and Andre. But he did more with his targets. He caught more. He scored twice. But the targets are basically even between TY, Donte, and Andre. I expect that to skew towards Donte somewhat but his efficiency will likely fall off a bit once it does.

Well, I just took a chance sending Evans and David Johnson for Moncrief and Yeldon. Paying up on two guys I like so hope he works out.

Well, I just took a chance sending Evans and David Johnson for Moncrief and Yeldon. Paying up on two guys I like so hope he works out.
dynasty?

RIP
PPR redraft. I like Yeldon's potential as one of the few three-down and goal line backs. And I think Moncrief could outperform Hilton this season. Don't see Arians ever trusting David Johnson with the full load this season.

Hoss Style said:

He didn't get the bulk of the looks though. He got the same amount of looks as TY and Andre. But he did more with his targets. He caught more. He scored twice. But the targets are basically even between TY, Donte, and Andre. I expect that to skew towards Donte somewhat but his efficiency will likely fall off a bit once it does.
Fair point.

I should have said the bulk of the looks that usually go TY's way (and the WR2's way, but AJ just can't get open like he used to). I still think TY leads the team in targets when healthy, but as an owner of both Hilton and Moncrief, I'm watching with more indifference than if I only owned one.

I do know from watching both games on Rewind, and keying on TY, that he means a lot to Luck in this offense, and Luck looked lost sometimes when dropping back in the pocket without a healthy Hilton. Maybe he gets comfortable with Moncrief more than TY, but I'm hesitant to jump on that bandwagon yet. People have been trying to write off TY on-and-off for years now. I just hope the Indy offense gets back on track and makes both players viable starters each week.

dynasty?

RIP
PPR redraft. I like Yeldon's potential as one of the few three-down and goal line backs. And I think Moncrief could outperform Hilton this season. Don't see Arians ever trusting David Johnson with the full load this season.
I don't hate this trade. Evans is a steep price but he still has a rookie QB throwing his way whereas Moncrief has one of the best QB in the league throwing to him. David Johnson is fools gold at the price people currently have him valued at. Dudes a complete stud but you are right that Arians will not trust him with the keys to the car once Ellington returns.

Fantasy is crazy how things can change so fast. I dropped and added Moncrief twice just before draft in dynasty league.....guy I was waffling over was Bryce Brown. :loco:

I offered up Moncrief and Sproles to a RB needy, 0-2 owner for Martavis Bryant. Doubt it gets accepted, but hoping I at least get a counter offer.

Im high on Moncrief but still find it hard to know just how productive he will be when TY is back at 100%.

anyone see where/how he was being used? Slot vs 2 WR sets, for example? my concern is that he won the match up in those 3-WR sets rather than looking good with Hilton opposite him only.

Users who are viewing this thread