What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (1 Viewer)

I think Fatguy clerked. Hopefully he'll stop in the thread to offer his perspective.
. Yeah I did an appellate clerkship. I have some mixed feelings about it and probably wouldn't have done it in hindsight. It was an interesting experience and might have helped me get my second and third jobs, but I don't really know for sure. What I do know for sure is that I gave up many thousands of dollars to do that instead of a firm job. I was sort of naive about money at the time, I just sort of assumed the money wasn't a big deal, but it's 12 years later and I still haven't paid off my student loans.I might not be the best guy to ask though, I don't actually like being a lawyer and I try to avoid bringing it up in social contexts. I agree somewhat with some of the stuff Shick! was saying. Some of these other guys in here sound like they have esquire tattooed on their foreheads.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much do lawyers typically pay for malpractice insurance? I assume this varies by type of lawyer?
Alot. It varies by years of practice as well. The longer you've practiced the more potential clients you have to sue you.
What is the SoL like on malpractice in New York/NJ?
6 years.
Wow, really? In CA it's 1 year.
The statute of limitations for bringing a malpractice claim against an attorney is found at California Code of Civil Procedure section 340.6. In order to be viable, any legal malpractice action must be commenced within the time limits set forth in the code section. If you do not file a legal malpractice lawsuit before the expiration of the statue of limitations, your lawsuit will be forever time-barred. California Code of Civil Procedure section 340.6 provides that:

A. An action against an attorney for a wrongful act or omission, other than for actual fraud, arising in the performance of professional services shall be commenced within one year after the plaintiff discovers, or through the use of reasonable diligence should have discovered, the facts constituting the wrongful act or omission, or four years from the date of the wrongful act or omission whichever occurs first.

I think Fatguy clerked. Hopefully he'll stop in the thread to offer his perspective.
. Yeah I did an appellate clerkship. I have some mixed feelings about it and probably wouldn't have done it in hindsight. It was an interesting experience and might have helped me get my second and third jobs, but I don't really know for sure. What I do know for sure is that I gave up many thousands of dollars to do that instead of a firm job. I was sort of naive about money at the time, I just sort of assumed the money wasn't a big deal, but it's 12 years later and I still haven't paid off my student loans.I might not be the best guy to ask though, I don't actually like being a lawyer and I try to avoid bringing it up in social contexts. I agree somewhat with some of the stuff Shick! was saying. Some of these other guys in here sound like they have esquire tattooed on their foreheads.
You mentioned the name which cannot be mentioned...

Any former clerks in here? I have a bunch of clerkship interviews coming up, and I guess I'm looking for general feedback. Did you enjoy the experience? Has it helped you with 2nd or 3rd (or beyond) jobs? Is it worth taking if I'm offered?
I did a two year clerkship with a State Supreme Court. I loved the work, and it made me a MUCH better researcher, writer, and legal thinker. Do a little due diligence on the Judge beforehand to make sure that you will be able to work with them - I saw some clerks clash with their Judge and it never ended well. Call some of the Judge's former clerks - this will give you the best idea of the working relationship.

Financially, it hurt, but it opened up a lot of doors and interviews for me down the road. Having a reference from a Supreme Court Justice(s) can be looked at as additional compensation in the long run IMO. If you have a big $ offer from a firm, I'd seriously weigh the financial cost/benefits of doing the clerkship and if you have big loans, it might not be for you. Otherwise, I would recommend it.

I'm usually not a huge fan of my profession but I hate the we are all pigs attack because I specifically work hard to not be that guy.

Yankee23Fan said:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
bigbottom said:
I'm usually not a huge fan of my profession but I hate the we are all pigs attack because I specifically work hard to not be that guy.
Thankfully, in our social circle, there is a prominent plaintiff's personal injury attorney, so most of the anti-attorney stuff gets directed his way and I usually escape unscathed.

Hey lawyers, who is your favorite fictional lawyer?
Most lawyers either break down into one of two camps, whether they know it or not:

1. Spencer Tracey as Clarence Darrow in "Inherit The Wind"; or

2. Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird."
I was a huge fan of Kevin Pollock in A Few Good Men.

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

I thought most lawyers were more like Tom Cruise in "The Firm" minus the Mafia stuff.

Basically sitting at a desk piled high with work and never setting foot in a courtroom. No?

So just to be clear, it's not illegal to claim to be a lawyer in this thread as long as you don't charge for services? Hypothetically speaking for a friend, of course. :mellow:

mr roboto said:
Interesting turn of events that the non-lawyers ruined the thread in which lawyers were supposed to post so as to not ruin other threads.
You really think they ruined this thread? I don't, I find it fascinating reading. It's always interesting to learn about a profession IMO and the responses from the lawyers further that. There's no doubt that a negative perception exists with the general public regarding lawyers (I honestly don't have that perception). Lawyer jokes/insults have been made on this board for years, the phrase "ambulance chasers" is well known, lawyers seem to have been blamed for all kinds of things in our culture. I just find their responses interesting rather than think the thread has been ruined.

Who doesn't love lawyer TV, seeing one scream "I object!!", and all the associated courtroom drama?

Bah, I got sucked into the lawyer thread (which I think comprises 100% litigation types other than me). I don't want to be here. Backing away slowly...or quickly.
Not 100% litigation types!

There are good lawyers and bad lawyers. I've dealt with a few lawyers that deal with adoption stuff and they were awesome people. I also knew some law school professors that made my stomach churn for how they viewed the practice of law and what they were teaching to their students.

Most lawyers either break down into one of two camps, whether they know it or not:

If only there had been a real lawyer as inspiring as the fictional character Clarence Darrow.
Most folks don't know the real story behind the "Monkey Trial".

If only there had been a real lawyer as inspiring as the fictional character Clarence Darrow.
Spencer Tracy's portrayal was indeed fictional; the character was based on a real person, it was not the actual person.

I thought most lawyers were more like Tom Cruise in "The Firm" minus the Mafia stuff.

Basically sitting at a desk piled high with work and never setting foot in a courtroom. No?
Eh, depends on area of practice. For the types I do I'm in court more often than I'm not.

In fact, I'm typing this in the middle of court right now.

That is about right. I have not talked to a single person all day; I have spent it working on memos, responding to e-mails, and making the occassional FFA post.

If there is a movie that reflected this, I'm pretty sure no one would watch.

That is about right. I have not talked to a single person all day; I have spent it working on memos, responding to e-mails, and making the occassional FFA post.

If there is a movie that reflected this, I'm pretty sure no one would watch.
You should apply at Bandini, Lambert, and Locke.

I spent today making lunch and golf plans for the week, then having a discussion about the merits of losing a motion on purpose since we're going to go up on appeal anyway, and it could potentially save some time.

Then I responded to a bunch of emails from the owners' wife, who was asking nonsensical questions about speaking engagements that I do for marketing, as well as questioning expenses of $3.48 and $5.00 that were on my credit card, despite the fact that our accountant has receipts for all of my expenses.

Spencer Tracy's portrayal was indeed fictional; the character was based on a real person, it was not the actual person.
I should add:

3. Michael Clayton.

Eh, depends on area of practice. For the types I do I'm in court more often than I'm not.

Forget it. I apologize to Hooper.
Would it make you feel better that it was during an issue being litigated by other parties which didn't concern my client (which we took at an indigent rate so I wasn't billing on it) and this occurred after I talked previous down from harming himself with a knife and two hearings after I won liberal visitation for my client against a party who was keeping his son from him without cause?

:flexlawyermuscles:

Would it make you feel better that it was during an issue being litigated by other parties which didn't concern my client (which we took at an indigent rate so I wasn't billing on it) and this occurred after I talked previous down from harming himself with a knife and two hearings after I won liberal visitation for my client against a party who was keeping his son from him without cause?

Wait, you weren't just in court, your actual case was being argued?

I spent today making lunch and golf plans for the week, then having a discussion about the merits of losing a motion on purpose since we're going to go up on appeal anyway, and it could potentially save some time.

Then I responded to a bunch of emails from the owners' wife, who was asking nonsensical questions about speaking engagements that I do for marketing, as well as questioning expenses of $3.48 and $5.00 that were on my credit card, despite the fact that our accountant has receipts for all of my expenses.
Entitle it, "The Springtime for Hitler Motion", and watch it win.

Wait, you weren't just in court, your actual case was being argued?
I'm just that talented.

(And I also assume you aren't terribly familiar with Dependency hearings where it's common that one of the parties involved, of which there are multiple, will often have no standing to be heard on a particular issue.)

I think certain traits are probably found more often in lawyers due to the nature of the job and what it takes to become a lawyer. But that can be either good or bad.

Some of my absolute favorite people here are lawyers because they are well spoken, reasonable people that can see both sides, intelligent and yet still have compassion for others.

The flipside is that some of my least favorite people here are lawyers and they're condescending, obnoxious sticklers who would rather fight to the death over a technicality rather than show some compassion to a fellow FBG or concede that it's possible yo view something from a different angle.

I think certain traits are probably found more often in lawyers due to the nature of the job and what it takes to become a lawyer. But that can be either good or bad.

Some of my absolute favorite people here are lawyers because they are well spoken, reasonable people that can see both sides, intelligent and yet still have compassion for others.

The flipside is that some of my least favorite people here are lawyers and they're condescending, obnoxious sticklers who would rather fight to the death over a technicality rather than show some compassion to a fellow FBG or concede that it's possible yo view something from a different angle.
But enough about Christo!

Defended a 30-year old swimsuit/lingerie model today in a deposition. She was very badly injured in a bad accident involving a semi truck on a SoCal freeway, following which (as part of the same accident) she was t-boned by a pickup truck. Shattered pelvis, split liver, torn diaphragm, four surgeries.

Anyway, the opposing counsel taking the depo, a female, had her show her her extensive surgical scars, which are admittedly pretty bad.

I got to watch. :popcorn:

But enough about Christo!
:lmao:

I didn't name names. There are several posters that fit one or more of those descriptors.

Defended a 30-year old swimsuit/lingerie model today in a deposition. She was very badly injured in a bad accident involving a semi truck on a SoCal freeway, following which (as part of the same accident) she was t-boned by a pickup truck. Shattered pelvis, split liver, torn diaphragm, four surgeries.

Anyway, the opposing counsel taking the depo, a female, had her show her her extensive surgical scars, which are admittedly pretty bad.

I got to watch. :popcorn:
You win.

Users who are viewing this thread