What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (5 Viewers)

This applies to a lot of things, but I'll use golf shoe spikes as an example.  

Can we all just come up with a single standard when it comes to items we all use?  Every company uses golf spikes but they all have their own set that fits their models.  And I get they want to make sure they make money, but it gets even more annoying when the next year, they change the design.  So even a single company can have 12 different possible types of spikes that fit in a shoe.  

I don't believe the government should be involved in a lot of things, but I fully support them governing standards.  Phone chargers, golf spikes, screws, whatever.  I want 1 standard across the board, damnit.  :angry:
The worst is when they simply discontinue making one of those parts or if it is something electronic they just discontinue the software.

My Nike GPS watch still works but Nike discontinued the software and wont release a stand alone freeware. So it just became a watch that you can use as a gps watch if you factory reset it every time. If they sell you a product that requires their software to use it they should be required to provide that software for anybody that still uses the product or they should have to refund your money. 

new to dropping off my kid at school this year. middle school start time is 1 hour earlier then elementary & it's on my way to work.

the line of buses and parents dropping their kids off is amazing. there's only one entrance to the lot. the school is... 1000 kids?? majority bus or car dropoff.

2 weeks in and my kid just gets out of the car 2 blocks away from school and walks the rest. i'm stuck in line for another 10-15 minutes because there's no way to turn around and no way to exit the line. i'm just going to drop her off a mile away from now on.

new to dropping off my kid at school this year. middle school start time is 1 hour earlier then elementary & it's on my way to work.

the line of buses and parents dropping their kids off is amazing. there's only one entrance to the lot. the school is... 1000 kids?? majority bus or car dropoff.

2 weeks in and my kid just gets out of the car 2 blocks away from school and walks the rest. i'm stuck in line for another 10-15 minutes because there's no way to turn around and no way to exit the line. i'm just going to drop her off a mile away from now on.
What has changed in the last 30 years that makes pick up and drop off such a cluster?  Now, I was a kid then so maybe I didn't understand the issues, but I don't recall pick up and drop off being an issue when I went to school  Either I walked, or took the bus.  Why are there such a high percentage of parents needing to drop kids off individually?  I'm guessing most school buildings weren't designed to hold that much traffic.

What has changed in the last 30 years that makes pick up and drop off such a cluster?  Now, I was a kid then so maybe I didn't understand the issues, but I don't recall pick up and drop off being an issue when I went to school  Either I walked, or took the bus.  Why are there such a high percentage of parents needing to drop kids off individually?  I'm guessing most school buildings weren't designed to hold that much traffic.
  • newer security measures that require all kids to enter the school at a single location (which means that all buses and cars have to line up in front of that spot).
  • fewer kids are walking to school these days.
  • budget cuts that reduce the number of buses, but increase the amount of time it takes to unload them.

The street I live on runs into the back of the grade school, which is where pickup/dropoff happens.  School gets out at 2:55, I have come home from work early at 2:35 and the entire street was already lined up with cars and the line went around the corner down another street.  I asked my wife and she says they start lining up at like 2:15 sometimes just to be first.  What time are you saving if you sit in your car for 45 before your kid is even done.

I have also almost chased a car down the street in the morning.  Dumb mom drops off her kid, goes around the circle and speeds back down our street (with one side still lined with cars/suvs) just as my kids are trying to cross and walk to school.  If there is a line of vehicles that are taller than every kid in the school, maybe don't speed.

I know in my school district multiple problems have led to school drop off being a cluster. More kids being dropped off and more traffic. More kids are dropped off for several reasons, but most importantly because of cost cutting measures taken by the schools and bus companies. When my son was in middle school, School started at 7:20 and his bus pickup time was 6:30 am. We live 1.6 miles from the school. That's absurd. 

He always took the bus home because I didn't care if he got home from school 30 minutes later, but having to wake a middle schooler up every morning that early is nuts. School started so early just because of the bus contract. this way the middle school, high school, and elementary school could be staggered to use the same buses. 

no idea. never rode the bus as a kid.

we're a bit far from the school for the kid to walk. at least until probably spring. just not comfortable with her doing it yet. on top of that she's got a backpack, a chromebook bag that doesn't fit in her backpack and a bag for soccer gear.  feels like a bit much for her to carry as far she needs to walk. she's not ready for boot camp hikes just yet.

her bike is jacked (busted rim or something) so fixing that this Saturday, hopefully.

not sure what it is about my generation of parents but kids don't walk or ride to school anymore :shrug:

• newer security measures that require all kids to enter the school at a single location (which means that all buses and cars have to line up in front of that spot).
  • fewer kids are walking to school these days.
  • budget cuts that reduce the number of buses, but increase the amount of time it takes to unload them.
:goodposting:  dropped my kid off on the first day, sped away.

got home that night and she says "dad, you dropped me off at the wrong door".  there are a bunch of doors. there were kids standing by all of them  :shrug:  come to find out all the kinds at the random doors were 6th graders.. new to school.

the 7th and 8th graders were all lined up at a different door, obscured from sight when you drive up. the older kids knew the routine. the younger kids did not.

all these doors.. dozens of them... but all the kids have to go in through the same set of double doors each day.

My kids' school underwent a makeover this summer... well, I should say... is still undergoing a makeover... so one of the entrances to the school is blocked off by construction activity (the entrance I'm used to going to) and word on the street is they are cutting it down to just the one entrance, and parents will no longer be able to walk their kids all the way to their classrooms.

Thankfully my daughter (3rd grade) loves taking care of her baby brother (1st grade) so she's said she will make sure he gets to his correct line-up spot every morning.

Dropoff was already a nightmare and it's even worse now.  

Back-to-School Night is tonight, I'm hoping they give us good news and say that there'll still be two choices for entry.

Blah.  I never went through this crap.  I remember walking through my neighborhood to get to 1st grade!  Honestly though I wouldn't want my boy walking to school.  Call me a helicopter parent, I guess.

Bull Dozier said:
well comapred to my high school, my daughters has 2000 kids in it.   So its all new to me - and I'm sure that is small compared to other schools

People who sit in their cars in front of convenience stores jamming roller taquitos into their pie-hole while reading their phones.

People who sit in their cars in front of convenience stores jamming roller taquitos into their pie-hole while reading their phones.
:oldunsure:  

This morning... wasn't a taquito, but would you rather I try eating my donut while I drive?  I wouldn't.   :D

Me repeating this over and over is probably a pet peeve of someone, but good golly.... the video-watching, with sound, in public places, HAS TO STOP.  

It's gotten to the point, after cutting my lunch short at Taco Bell today because some dolt was standing there waiting for his food watching videos with the sound (likely) all the way up, that I am going to keep some earbuds in my car and will be listening to music at lunch.

It's infuriating.  

Me repeating this over and over is probably a pet peeve of someone, but good golly.... the video-watching, with sound, in public places, HAS TO STOP.  

It's gotten to the point, after cutting my lunch short at Taco Bell today because some dolt was standing there waiting for his food watching videos with the sound (likely) all the way up, that I am going to keep some earbuds in my car and will be listening to music at lunch.

It's infuriating.  
Sad since the dolts refuse to wear the earbuds, we are sometimes forced to. 

This is slowly creeping up my list of peeves.  And I'm not sure why, because it really doesn't affect me much.

These people that stop at a red light with a lot of room between them and the car in front, but about every 2 seconds move up a foot.  Either stay where you are or move all the way up initially.  I can't fathom the thought process these people have.

This is slowly creeping up my list of peeves.  And I'm not sure why, because it really doesn't affect me much.

These people that stop at a red light with a lot of room between them and the car in front, but about every 2 seconds move up a foot.  Either stay where you are or move all the way up initially.  I can't fathom the thought process these people have.
It’s an accordion.

Everybody stops where the car in front stops, but once stopped, some folks will roll closer to put their bumpers much closer than it would be safe to get at full speed.  (This is good, as it makes it easier for cars behind to get into turn lanes that would otherwise be blocked by the extra space.)

But each car adjusts more or less “in turn” as the one in front makes space.  Hence the “slow roll” at the back of the line.  Also, if cars are making right turns on red as traffic permits, new space is being created into which to move throughout the light cycle.

As someone whose earlier pet peeve was “drivers not occupying available space so that empty turn lanes are rendered inaccessible” it appears you and I have conflicting goals on the highway.  (Maybe stop checking your phone at the red light and you won’t have anything better to do than roll forward slowly?  I kid...)

It’s an accordion.

Everybody stops where the car in front stops, but once stopped, some folks will roll closer to put their bumpers much closer than it would be safe to get at full speed.  (This is good, as it makes it easier for cars behind to get into turn lanes that would otherwise be blocked by the extra space.)

But each car adjusts more or less “in turn” as the one in front makes space.  Hence the “slow roll” at the back of the line.  Also, if cars are making right turns on red as traffic permits, new space is being created into which to move throughout the light cycle.

As someone whose earlier pet peeve was “drivers not occupying available space so that empty turn lanes are rendered inaccessible” it appears you and I have conflicting goals on the highway.  (Maybe stop checking your phone at the red light and you won’t have anything better to do than roll forward slowly?  I kid...)
This is not what he described. He was talking about the idiots that come to a stop 20 feet behind the car in front of them and then mive forward like a foot, stop. Move forward stop. 

This isnt some natural reaction to traffic flow. This is because that person is more than likely looking down at their phone. 

This is not what he described. He was talking about the idiots that come to a stop 20 feet behind the car in front of them and then mive forward like a foot, stop. Move forward stop. 

This isnt some natural reaction to traffic flow. This is because that person is more than likely looking down at their phone. 
They need a phone app that tells them when the closest traffic light changes from red to green.

It’s an accordion.

You are laying out scenarios that I am not referring to.  I am talking about the person in front of me moving one foot every 10 seconds, even though the car in front of it has not moved an inch.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_YHp-rA4fM

It's infuriating.  
aaaaaaand it's becoming a daily thing.  

Let me be clear:  if you watch videos on your phone with the sound up in public places, you are a class-A jerkwad.  Do not be this guy.  

went to have lunch with my kid today

last year you could pull in to the lot and park near the front doors. there are about 12 spots. a couple handicap parking spots. one is always occupied by the school resource officer but there are generally 1 or 2 spots open. and if not there, then there used to be a side lot with dozens of spots.. most open... not too far away.

well the side lot is under construction. it's a fenced off pile of dirt and sod. has been since early summer. can't park there.

and the small lot in front is now only handicap parking or "10 minutes or less, child pickup" parking.  of course the cop still parks in a handicap spot.

and the street out front of school is "no parking" for as far as the eye can see.

they've really made a fine, fine mess of it this year. great job, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
aaaaaaand it's becoming a daily thing.  

Let me be clear:  if you watch videos on your phone with the sound up in public places, you are a class-A jerkwad.  Do not be this guy.  
Buy him or her a $5 pair of earbuds or headphones as an early b-day present.

mr. furley said:
went to have lunch with my kid today

last year you could pull in to the lot and park near the front doors. there are about 12 spots. a couple handicap parking spots. one is always occupied by the school resource officer but there are generally 1 or 2 spots open. and if not there, then there used to be a side lot with dozens of spots.. most open... not too far away.

well the side lot is under construction. it's a fenced off pile of dirt and sod. has been since early summer. can't park there.

and the small lot in front is now only handicap parking or "10 minutes or less, child pickup" parking.  of course the cop still parks in a handicap spot.

and the street out front of school is "no parking" for as far as the eye can see.

they've really made a fine, fine mess of it this year. great job, guys.
If only there was a period of time each year, say 3 months or so, when a school parking lot would go virtually unused and could then be constructed upon and completed before needed again.

If only there was a period of time each year, say 3 months or so, when a school parking lot would go virtually unused and could then be constructed upon and completed before needed again.
San Antonio school year started mid to late August. The number of schools without working AC was something to behold. I mean, who could have ever predicted that AC would be needed in August in San Antonio? These guys aren't oracles for goodness sake!

Drive throughs.

Say you go to McDonalds and order some fries. You get to the window, they take your money. You pull up to window #2, where they say:

Can you please move to slot number 1 over there and we will bring your food to you?

Pisses me off. The drive through at a fast food joint is a convenience for ME. Not you so you can slough me off to improve your drive through wait time so you look better at corporate.

Ok, my newest one. My office is full time work from home. My entire section has not one single desk in the entire office complex. Therefore we lean heavily on phones, Skype meetings, and Instant Messaging. My workmates seemed to have developed a growing fondness of asking for something on IM, and then totally ignoring it. Today for example, my normal hours are 7-4. But I have a meeting from 4:30 to 5:00 so I try to break away for 30 or 40 minutes to hit my treadmill quick. As I get ready to get up, I get an IM notification...

Coworker: You got a minute to talk?

Me: Sure, but let's knock it out quick, trying to grab a quick workout.

Crickets for 3 to 4 minutes. In the meantime, 2 other people jump me on IM. Pipe dream or working out is shot as those go 15 minutes

Me (after the delay): You know, normally when you ask someone if they have a minute, you stick around at least 30 seconds to see if they answer.

Dooshnozzle never did get back to me, acknowledge the original IM, nothing. WTH?

Drive throughs.

Say you go to McDonalds and order some fries. You get to the window, they take your money. You pull up to window #2, where they say:

Can you please move to slot number 1 over there and we will bring your food to you?

Pisses me off. The drive through at a fast food joint is a convenience for ME. Not you so you can slough me off to improve your drive through wait time so you look better at corporate.
Burger King pulled this on me once, nobody ever pulled up behind me so I never moved. They were not happy.

Ok, my newest one. My office is full time work from home. My entire section has not one single desk in the entire office complex. Therefore we lean heavily on phones, Skype meetings, and Instant Messaging. My workmates seemed to have developed a growing fondness of asking for something on IM, and then totally ignoring it. Today for example, my normal hours are 7-4. But I have a meeting from 4:30 to 5:00 so I try to break away for 30 or 40 minutes to hit my treadmill quick. As I get ready to get up, I get an IM notification...

Coworker: You got a minute to talk?

Me: Sure, but let's knock it out quick, trying to grab a quick workout.

Crickets for 3 to 4 minutes. In the meantime, 2 other people jump me on IM. Pipe dream or working out is shot as those go 15 minutes

Me (after the delay): You know, normally when you ask someone if they have a minute, you stick around at least 30 seconds to see if they answer.

Dooshnozzle never did get back to me, acknowledge the original IM, nothing. WTH?
go to work, and call him out, if he doesn't respond appropriately ...go to the boss.

permanent #### list guy.

Burger King pulled this on me once, nobody ever pulled up behind me so I never moved. They were not happy.
Exactly. 

McDonalds tried to pull this one on me once. We don't go there often - whenever I pick up a kid from soccer practice or hockey practice our tradition is to grab an order of medium fries as a snack for the drive home. (I know its silly, but the kids love it.)

Anyway, one day a few years ago I pull up, order, and get to the window. It's like 7:00 in the evening.

She says: "Can you please pull over? We are out of fries at the moment."

I'm like: how the #### can McDonald's be out of fries at that hour? I mean, their fries are arguably their most popular item. There should ALWAYS be fries. ####ers....

So I sat there. Nobody was behind me. They were not pleased either.  :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread