What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (8 Viewers)

My current pet peeve: I regularly shop at a small locally owned store, as I like to give them the business, but one issue just won't go away.

I track all of my finances electronically, and I only want paper receipts for big ticket items and things that I may need to return. None of these things apply at this store. Therefore, I tell the cashier to toss my paper receipt, as I would just do it later at home.

Most of the cashiers have no issue, and most remember me, so I don't even need to mention it. But one cashier ALWAYS makes it an issue. Everytime I say, "toss my receipt", she says, "But you need to sign it!"

Of course, I reply, "No. I mean my copy."

At this point, she will hand me my receipt as if I had said nothing. Therefore, I have taken to then asking, "Do you have a waste paper basket?"

Her: "Yes."

I then hand her my copy of the receipt and she tosses it.

This began 5 years ago. It has not changed. I shop here twice a week, and I still go through this every time she waits on me. Of course, if I was a bright man, I would cease all of this and just accept reality.

Unfortunately, I am not a bright man.
THAT MONSTER

where you been, gb? All good?

THAT MONSTER

where you been, gb? All good?
Tell me about it.

It has become a Battle of Nitwits ...

I've been really busy in a good way for the past 3 months - working on a fun/potential side work website and helping out the folks. Thanks for asking.  My schedule is opening up now, and with the NFL back, I am trying to get back into the flow here. I really need to catch up in the GMTAN.

How are you? Job stress getting a little better? I hope all is good in Floppy Land. ;)

Pinktober crap! Food for thought, posted on another board by my friend.

"The pink celebrations and marketing are inappropriate. We are talking about a disease. Pink parties and merchandise usually raise very little money that actually goes to research or to help cancer patients deal with the disruption of their lives and the financial devastation. Often most of the money just goes back into the awareness machine or to company profits. The pink celebration perpetuates the trivialization and often sexualization of breast cancer. It marginalizes the people who will die from this disease (through no fault of their own), because they do not fit the narrative of the victorious survivor, the image that brings in the dollars. What does "awareness" mean when people are not aware that 25-30% of early stagers (I-III) will have a metastatic recurrence, the incurable, lethal form of the disease? What does awareness mean when people are not aware that only around 7% of money raised goes toward research for a cure or normal lifespan? What does awareness mean when men are not aware they can get breast cancer and so will be diagnosed later and have poorer survival? What does awareness mean when women are not aware that mammograms are not a cure, and do not always "catch it early"? What does awareness mean when people think reconstruction is a great free boob job and do not understand the pain and complications reconstruction can entail, and when some surgeons still refuse to give a woman a smooth flat chest if she asks for that? What does awareness mean when our friends, coworkers and even family do not realize we are forever changed and often forever suffering side-effects of treatment even though we "look good"?"

Any time I hear taco used in that sense, I think of Beavis and Butthead.  The one episode they bought Spanish Fly and they were going to put it in the hot girl's lunch.  Well, it just so happen to be Lebron James' Taco Tuesday™ that day at lunch.  Butthead says to Beavis, "I'll go over and distract her.  And when I do, you stick it in her taco."  And Beavis gets a confused look on his face and says, "Umm... shouldn't we give her the Spanish Fly first?"  :lmao: #metoo 
My link

you know MCOS
Never met the guy. But with a name like that, he gotta be cool! 😁

..some people don't know what Euchre is ...

I didn't until college, great game to drink and whatever on.
I never played it until I was in my mid 20's. It was a popular game to drink to in an athletic club I belonged to. After a month or so, I began playing 2 times a week. 

We drank (and whatever) so much, that I have no clue on the rules today. 

Eh, sorry for the snark at the top Bink. I could not pass it up.

Also, I need to follow up on my latest pet peeve. After Floppy made me feel bad about being such a nitwit, I went to the store for a few items. Sure enough, the cashier discussed was manning the register. So, I decided to not be a #### this time.

I get to the register, and as she is checking me out, she tosses aside some swiss cheese that I was buying and exclaims, "HELL NO!"

Since I had resolved to be a gentleman, I said nothing; I waited.

So, she gives me my total, and I say, "What about the cheese?"

She says, "You don't want it."

Me: "Uh. Yeah. I do."

Her: "It's expired."

Me: "How long?"

Her: "Yesterday."

Me: "I still want it."

Her: "You wanna get sick?"

Me: "No. I want that cheese."

Her: "You will get sick."

Me: "It is cheese. It is only one day past label expiration. This is not for my long term pantry. I'm good with it."

Her: "You will get sick."

Me: "Can you sell it to me?"

Her: "Yes. But you will get sick."

Me: "Great. I'll come buy some pepto later."

Other clerk: "Hey. We have fresh cheese here. You want it instead?"

Me: "No. I wanna get sick."

So, I took the stale cheese and am eating it now. Wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been reading this a lot lately.  Is there an actual studying showing this causation, or is this along the same lines as vaccines causing Asbergers?
No, it's not the same as the vaccines and autism. In that instance, somebody actually falsified data to bolster their pseudoscientific claims. There is zero credible evidence suggesting vaccines are linked to peanut allergies, let alone causative.

I am peeved by anti-science nonsense which creates a resurgence in diseases which were nearly eradicated, killing a few people in the process.

You and some others here may be interested in this.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/follow-up-the-reasons-people-dont-return-their-shopping-carts/

This is a follow-up piece.  The original article - linked at the start of this one - isn't necessarily worth the read; it got a little too jargony for my taste.  (It also seemed to suggest that anyone returning carts is driven by a desire to fit in and conform to societal norms, instead of . . . well, frankly, just being a nice person regardless of what anyone else thinks and expecting nothing from it.)  But the follow-up piece, complete with comments from all sides of the "debate" reacting to the original article, is excellent.  Some of the cited comments are priceless, including at least one guy who employs some sort of pseudo-economic quasi-libertarian justification to explain why he - proudly! - doesn't return carts.  In the time it took him to type that, I wonder how many carts he could have put back.  
Holy carp, those people suggesting they don’t return carts to facilitate/justify cart wranglers’ employment are delusional.

It’s indefensible laziness 99.9% of the time.

Birthdays.  Can't stand them.  I have no problem with kids having them, but when grown men walk around expecting congratulations and a celebration or whatever, it makes my skin crawl.  What are we actually supposed to be excited about?  Good job not dying last year?  Go give your mom a gift, she wrecked her vagina to have you.  You didn't do anything.

Pro athletes who put goggles on to spray victory champagne.  

It's dumb.  Why not put on rain coats, too?  Or maybe we can just do a VR celebration where no one actually does anything, but their avatars do.

The use of "horrific" to describe even the mildest of bad things.

Did you know that Case Keenum threw a horrific interception last night? Probably not since you likely thought it was pretty bad instead of recoiling in horror.

The Jewish Holocaust and Rwandan Genocide were horrific. Interceptions cannot be such.
I can say without hyperbole that this interception was a thousand times worse than the Holocaust and Rwandan genocide put together.

Birthdays.  Can't stand them.  I have no problem with kids having them, but when grown men walk around expecting congratulations and a celebration or whatever, it makes my skin crawl.  What are we actually supposed to be excited about?  Good job not dying last year?  Go give your mom a gift, she wrecked her vagina to have you.  You didn't do anything.
:lol:  Mine is Friday and my wife keeps bugging me that I dont want to do anything :lol:

Post of the day right here.

Wireless mice and keyboards.  Wires are much less of an annoyance than having to replace a battery.  My office uses the wireless ones and my mouse went out during a Webex presentation which held up the meeting 5 minutes while I tracked down a battery.  I never use my mouse or keyboard outside of my desk so why on earth does it need to be wireless?

Conclusion: Wireless mice and keyboards are a step backwards in computer peripheral tech.  

Wireless mice and keyboards.  Wires are much less of an annoyance than having to replace a battery.  My office uses the wireless ones and my mouse went out during a Webex presentation which held up the meeting 5 minutes while I tracked down a battery.  I never use my mouse or keyboard outside of my desk so why on earth does it need to be wireless?

Conclusion: Wireless mice and keyboards are a step backwards in computer peripheral tech.  
disagree 1000% but its your pet peeve :)

I bought my own wireless for my desk but i do keep a wired mouse and keyboard in my cabinet in case of emergency ;)

disagree 1000% but its your pet peeve :)

I bought my own wireless for my desk but i do keep a wired mouse and keyboard in my cabinet in case of emergency ;)
Do you use it away from your desk?  You cant just pick up a wireless mouse from your desk and have it be useful anywhere else.  And you're forced to keep the wired ones as clutter in your cabinet.  That just proves it's massive flaws.

Do you use it away from your desk?  You cant just pick up a wireless mouse from your desk and have it be useful anywhere else.  And you're forced to keep the wired ones as clutter in your cabinet.  That just proves it's massive flaws.
:confused:  you mean when i take my laptop to a meeting and take my mouse?

:confused:  you mean when i take my laptop to a meeting and take my mouse?
You can do the same with a wired mouse.  And if your battery dies, then you have to interrupt the meeting, and leave to go find your wired mouse.  I don't understand what the big deal about the wire is?

You can do the same with a wired mouse.  And if your battery dies, then you have to interrupt the meeting, and leave to go find your wired mouse.  I don't understand what the big deal about the wire is?
if my battery dies i just use the touch pad on the laptop, during a meeting. ;)

if it dies in my cube - i replace the battery or use the wire if im out.

but you are allowed to have this pet peeve, I'm not trying to take it from you :)

if my battery dies i just use the touch pad on the laptop, during a meeting. ;)

if it dies in my cube - i replace the battery or use the wire if im out.

but you are allowed to have this pet peeve, I'm not trying to take it from you :)
Oh dont get me started on trackpads

People who comment on instagram in weird ways when celebrities post something.  Professing love, asking them to meet them somewhere..(youd be shocked at how many times Phil Mickelson gets asked to join some random group's foursome for golf).  

As a general rule, I follow people on IG for sexy pics.  Yep, I'm that shallow.  But what really bugs me is when a hot woman posts and guys will make comments like he knows her "OMG you look amazing beautiful.  Your(always spelled wrong by the way) beautiful inside and out.  Your a fantastic person.   Keep doing you!!"  Yadda yadda yadda.  This is even more frequent with celebrity postings.  Dude..You don't know her.  She doesn't know you. She is NOT going to marry you.  Please stop it.

I want to find this guy and tell him to quit that....he's embarrassing himself.   Almost as bad as guys who fall in love with strippers.

At work I have a blue tooth mouse that was purchsed for me "so you don't need to worry about the mouse cord being too short or getting tangled".  The internal batteries last about 3 or 4 days before it needs to be plugged in and charged, so I just keep mine plugged in all the time, therefore making it a very expensive wired mouse.

At work I have a blue tooth mouse that was purchsed for me "so you don't need to worry about the mouse cord being too short or getting tangled".  The internal batteries last about 3 or 4 days before it needs to be plugged in and charged, so I just keep mine plugged in all the time, therefore making it a very expensive wired mouse.
See, I've never once had to worry about the bolded. 

Wireless mice are a solution in search of a problem.  

Is it bad when the grandparents of your child don’t even know how old their granchild is going to be for an upcoming birthday?
Probably depends on age of grandparents, and how many grandkids they have.  I used to be able to track my neices and nephews age, until both my brother and sister had kids.  Now I can't keep track.  Grandkids might be different, but since I'll be older, I hope I won't be expected to keep track of those off the top of my head.  Will probably need an app to keep track by the time I get there.

Probably depends on age of grandparents, and how many grandkids they have.  I used to be able to track my neices and nephews age, until both my brother and sister had kids.  Now I can't keep track.  Grandkids might be different, but since I'll be older, I hope I won't be expected to keep track of those off the top of my head.  Will probably need an app to keep track by the time I get there.
Yeah, i get it. I'm just annoyed that my parents (father and step-mother) are not involved in my kids' lives, yet they bug me every year to ask what they can get for birthday/xmas presents. "Maybe if you knew your grandkids a little, you might know what they're into!" And then after I give them a few ideas, my kids usually get an Amazon gift card.

It doesn't help that they are thoroughly involved in the life my step-mother's biological grandchild. I'm pretty sure they know how old that kid is down to the freaking second!

People who do U-turns in the middle of a busy road because they missed a turn.  Instead of just pulling into a side road and turning around that way, let's stop traffic in both directions because nobody else's time matters.

TheIronSheik said:
People who do U-turns in the middle of a busy road because they missed a turn.  Instead of just pulling into a side road and turning around that way, let's stop traffic in both directions because nobody else's time matters.
Or people that were in the left turn lane but realize they want to go straight so they put right blinker on, but of course they can't move. Left turn signal comes and then nobody behind them can move either. Thanks for making me miss the light because you are dumb. 

Users who are viewing this thread