What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (3 Viewers)

Suspended WR Martavis Bryant told ESPN's Dan Graziano he's "planning" to apply for reinstatement in the coming weeks.

Bryant told Graziano that he's been arguing with the league "that its drug program is not set up to offer players access to proper treatment for mental health issues." Bryant was banned for the third time at the end of last season in December, but a report in February suggested he could be reinstated ahead of training camp this summer.

SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter

May 7, 2019, 12:01 AM ET

Bryant told Graziano that he's been arguing with the league "that its drug program is not set up to offer players access to proper treatment for mental health issues." 
Yes it is the league's fault that Bryant won't stay away from pot...  

Bryant told Graziano that he's been arguing with the league "that its drug program is not set up to offer players access to proper treatment for mental health issues." 
Why does Bryant need a league program to help him with his mental health issues?  I'm not making light of his problems, just seems like he could seek out counselling on his own if necessary.

Putting more $ into the mental health care of their players would not at all hurt the NFL's bottom line and could in fact help some guys who really need it(and help with the collective bargaining agreement that is coming up).  The fact is that many of these guys end up broke and broken down.  Bryant made some money but other guys in the NFL have made substantially less and their careers are extremely short in most cases.

On this issue, I think he has a point.  It's low hanging fruit and I see no downside to the NFL throwing some money at it.

Putting more $ into the mental health care of their players would not at all hurt the NFL's bottom line and could in fact help some guys who really need it(and help with the collective bargaining agreement that is coming up).  The fact is that many of these guys end up broke and broken down.  Bryant made some money but other guys in the NFL have made substantially less and their careers are extremely short in most cases.

On this issue, I think he has a point.  It's low hanging fruit and I see no downside to the NFL throwing some money at it.
While I agree that the NFL and NFLPA could certainly afford to put more money into it care I am guessing their drug program and insurance already has provisions for mental health.   Bryant has gone through counseling and rehabs multiple times -- in the end it all comes down to him to stop smoking dope.

While I agree that the NFL and NFLPA could certainly afford to put more money into it care I am guessing their drug program and insurance already has provisions for mental health.   Bryant has gone through counseling and rehabs multiple times -- in the end it all comes down to him to stop smoking dope.
Sure, and honestly, I am not here to defend Bryant because all indications are that he is likely a knucklehead.  But, if I ran any sort of company or organization, where I was paying my employees millions of dollars to perform for me, I would also want to make sure that they have every advantage that they could have.  If one of my million dollar plus employees said that the mental health care that we offer is not sufficient, I would certainly investigate and likely upgrade our offerings.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero report suspended free agent Martavis Bryant is "unlikely" to play in 2020.

Rapoport counters the previous report that Bryant has applied for reinstatement, but either way, it doesn't appear that Bryant will get another chance to play this season despite some teams inquiring about him. Bryant will need to receive clearance from commissioner Roger Goodell before signing a contract regardless if that's in 2020 or 2021. Bryant will be 28 years old next offseason.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 25, 2020, 4:58 PM ET

signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.
Rotoworld:

Martavis Bryant signed with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts. 

Bryant, 29, who is suspended from the NFL indefinitely after a series of drug policy violations, hasn't played pro football since 2018, when he had 19 receptions for 266 yards in 12 games for the Raiders. He applied for reinstatement in 2019 but the NFL has not granted his request. A fourth-round selection by the Steelers in 2014, Bryant flashed as a dominant wideout with otherworldly after-the-catch ability in Pittsburgh. In 2015, he caught 50 passes for 765 yards and six touchdowns in 11 games. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jan 26, 2021, 12:57 PM ET

I wonder how antiquated the weed rules are going to seem in twenty years. Cost two of the most dynamic wideouts I've ever seen their careers.

I wonder how antiquated the weed rules are going to seem in twenty years. Cost two of the most dynamic wideouts I've ever seen their careers.
Literally ruined people’s lives for something that most people think should be legal.  Randy Gregory for my Cowboys is another example.

I’m shocked there hasn’t been a lawsuit filed yet. 

Literally ruined people’s lives for something that most people think should be legal.  Randy Gregory for my Cowboys is another example.

I’m shocked there hasn’t been a lawsuit filed yet. 
Yeah, it has. Randy Gregory is a perfect example.

And I'm sure you know this, but that said, if the collective bargaining agreement provides for testing and has a rational basis for testing under the scope of employment then the courts are loath to overturn a CBA. Only a CBA which agrees to things which are arbitrary and capricious is really in jeopardy with the courts. Think of the CBA as the cornerstone of labor law, think of it as almost all-encompassing, and you've got a general idea of how much flies under one so long as both sides negotiate in good faith. Is that always good for individuals? Often not. But it's the way they do it.

Reinstated. Championship waiver pick up.
Not sure if this was sarcasm. He's 31 and hasn't played in the NFL in 5 years. Pretty old for a guy that relied on speed.
For some reason I am reminded of this Simpson's clip:

Well he was tied for the 5th most catches on his XFL team last year with Rod Smith(not of Denver Broncos fame though).

I hope this thread blows up and he's the WR version of Christine Michael. No way a guy who hasn't played in the league in 5 years is relevant again. :popcorn:

I can honestly say that he has a better chance to catch the flu.
He's competing for snaps/playing time with these guys:

Jalen Tolbert, 3rd round pick from 2022: 12 career catches, 132 yards, 1 TD
Brandin Cooks, formerly "QB Proof" : 17 catches, 165 yards, 2 TDs
Gallup: 22 catches. 242 yards, 0 TDs

For comparison reference, Noah Brown was ran outta town last year for "Being a bust" or whatever and his final stat line was 43/555/3 in 2022.

He looked unspecial in the XFL and I just thought he was making $ playing a sport while he could. The NFL was the furthest from my mind.
I find this odd

The dude was loaded with talent but made bad choices. Hopefully he's gotten himself straightened out and I am rooting for him but I'll be shocked if he ever becomes fantasy relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread