What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (4 Viewers)

Actually according to Browns beat writer Scott Petrak's tweet, Pettine actually said that Isaiah Crowell WILL PLAY Sunday but that he wasn't sure about him practicing today.

---------------------------

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak · 2h 2 hours ago

#Browns Pettine said hopeful RB Isaiah Crowell (hip) will be able to go Sunday. Might hold him out of practice today.
Did you just completely ignore the word "hopeful"?
Well it isn't bolded or written in a different color so maybe he missed.

Actually according to Browns beat writer Scott Petrak's tweet, Pettine actually said that Isaiah Crowell WILL PLAY Sunday but that he wasn't sure about him practicing today.

#Browns Pettine said hopeful RB Isaiah Crowell (hip) will be able to go Sunday. Might hold him out of practice today.
Maybe that was just a description of Crowell's general disposition? He sure is a hopeful RB!

I did, lol. :cool:

Pettine did say he 'might' hold him out of practice today and he was riding the bike on the sidelines instead of taking treatment so if Pettine says he's hopeful that Crow will play Sunday but that he might practice today I read it as he's a go for Sunday because if he was truly doubtful to play Sunday their wouldn't be any question as to whether or not he'd practice today and he certainly wouldn't be riding a stationary bike on the sidelines if he had treatment scheduled.

So once again, read into it what you may. I think he plays Sunday and the RB they signed hasn't been activated and if he does he'll likely play special teams and Glenn Winston will get bumped up into his first playing time because Pettine mentioned Glenn Winston possibly being activated.

The fact that Crowell has fumbled almost twice as often as West (1/38 touches vs 1/71), but Pettine is singling out West as the one with a problem might tell you everything you need to know about which guy the coaches really like. Terrible coaching though IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that Crowell has fumbled almost twice as often as West (1/38 touches vs 1/71), but Pettine is singling out West as the one with a problem might tell you everything you need to know about which guy the coaches really like. Terrible coaching though IMO.
Or he's just grown tired of turnovers and has made it a point of emphasis recently, making West a bit of the scape goat. Often times coaches will use something to drive an overriding point and somebody has to be the catalyst.

making West a bit of the scape goat
Exactly. Crowell had the ball knocked out on as soft a play as you'll ever see a couple weeks ago, but it's West that got the hook and the public criticism even though he's had less issues than Crowell overall.

Crowell = Darrelle Revis, West = Jonas Gray

making West a bit of the scape goat
Exactly. Crowell had the ball knocked out on as soft a play as you'll ever see a couple weeks ago, but it's West that got the hook and the public criticism even though he's had less issues than Crowell overall.

Crowell = Darrelle Revis, West = Jonas Gray
Crowell has a lot more skill than West, therefore the coach doesn't want to scapegoat him. It's pretty simple.

Though it hasn't shown in the box score, West has been dropping the ball a lot over the last 3 games.

Talk about a clear case of denial. West owners still holding on to any thread of hope that West is still the guy. Newsflash. Hes not.

Though it hasn't shown in the box score, West has been dropping the ball a lot over the last 3 games.
I havent watched a ton of Browns games, could you clarify this? Box scores show fumbles and then fumbles lost so that would make me think any time he puts the ball on the turf it would be in the box score. I guess something like him fumbling it out of bounds as he heads towards the sideline probably wouldnt show up or something.

I havent watched a ton of Browns games, could you clarify this? Box scores show fumbles and then fumbles lost so that would make me think any time he puts the ball on the turf it would be in the box score. I guess something like him fumbling it out of bounds as he heads towards the sideline probably wouldnt show up or something.
He's lost the ball after being ruled down a time or two recenty and it looked a little fishy until you ran it in slow motion. Maybe that's what he's referring to.

Bigger picture I would speculate Pettine is factoring in how key the fumble was in winning/losing and how recenty it happened. Pettine's paid to win games and the NFL is about what have you done for me lately.

West lost a game changing fumble (Pettine's view) last week. Those two things make it a bigger deal.

For those who have been dreadfully watching that week 17 matchup @BAL on Crowell's calendar, here's a little spot of sunshine:

NFL just announced that All-Pro Baltimore DT Ngata suspended the rest of the year for PEDs.

For those who have been dreadfully watching that week 17 matchup @BAL on Crowell's calendar, here's a little spot of sunshine:

NFL just announced that All-Pro Baltimore DT Ngata suspended the rest of the year for PEDs.
Without getting into the "should there be a week 17 championship" debate, its quite rare any leagues play that week so I doubt many people have been watching that matchup.

He's lost the ball after being ruled down a time or two recenty and it looked a little fishy until you ran it in slow motion. Maybe that's what he's referring to.

Bigger picture I would speculate Pettine is factoring in how key the fumble was in winning/losing and how recenty it happened. Pettine's paid to win games and the NFL is about what have you done for me lately.

West lost a game changing fumble (Pettine's view) last week. Those two things make it a bigger deal.
Also there is a recency effect that happens too. I doubt Pettine is still calling Crowell in his office for the fumble he had against the Texans. But you can bet he's thinking about the West fumble because the media is still asking him about it. Crowell is doing what we all hoped he would do. He's cementing down this job more and more each week. Think about the chain of events for Crowell. He's passed 6 distinct thresholds that all starting running backs need to surpass to achieve a starting gig in the NFL.

Threshold 1: Sign with an NFL team. Undrafted but signed as a priority free agent on a team that had signed Tate and drafted West.

Threshold 2: Make it a competition at RB. We knew early on that he was going to be a presence back there with Tate and West.

Threshold 3: Make the team. Easily passed this threshold.

Threshold 4: Shows he belongs. Showed right away that he could ball. Scored a touchdown on his very first NFL carry. And his third carry as well.

Threshold 5: Rise to the top of the depth chart - Tate isn't even on the team anymore and West is in the doghouse. I'd say he's past this threshold as well.

Threshold 6: Eliminate the RBBC. Time to transition from role player to stud. Become a true workhorse ala Leveon Bell.

Threshold 7: Feast. This is where we sit right now.

Yep, I think against the Bengals he lost one (same game I think Crowell got sat for fumbling) and it was a clear fumble, but they recovered and no one challenged. The announcers rewound and showed it was a clear fumble. Unless the coaches were told, they may not have noticed/realized until after the game. I think there was another last week or this week where they called him down as well. I think over the last 4 weeks, he's had 2 more fumbles that weren't called that and thus weren't in the box scores, but replays showed they were. As One posted, West has put the ball on the ground a lot more the last few weeks compared to Crowell and one of them was returned for a TD in what was a close game.

From last night's Audible podcast, Dr. Jene Bramel's take on Isaiah Crowell.

He thinks he plays and he's very confident that he's healthy.

Go to the 28:20 mark of last night's Audible to hear all of Dr. Jene's comments but the bottom line is the good doctor is very confident that the Crow will play Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsPo8hcmMZg

Dr. Jene: "As of Thursday all signs are that he's going to play."

Also I posted this in the Cleveland Browns thread, a link to a podcast of two former Browns employees who worked in the media and they are still dialed-in and they really lay down some knowledge on the team and in particular the two rookie RBs. I think anyone interested in Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West and even RB Glenn Winston should listen to this one. (they also dish on WR Josh Gordon, QB Johnny Manziel, and the Browns top pick in last year's draft CB Justin Gilbert, very raw language and they cut thru the normal media BS)

Bracie Smathers said:
This is one of the best football podcasts I've have ever heard. Browns, Bucs, and NSFW language from Andre Knott and Zac Jackson.

I had never heard them before on this pod but honestly this is really good stuff.

They give personal stories, behind the scene stories, and drop knowledge that I never knew they had.

http://603brown.com/2014/12/03/atoz-the-manziel-hoyer-edition/

AtoZ //The Manziel-Hoyer edition.by Mike Burgermeister · December 3, 2014

Andre and Zac talk Browns, quarterbacks, windows of opportunity and what happens when young, rich NFL players don’t get it.

Go to the 28:20 mark of last night's Audible to hear all of Dr. Jene's comments but the bottom line is the good doctor is very confident that the Crow will play Sunday.

Great podcast. Thanks for posting this.

if i heard it correctly in this podcast, the issue with West and Crowell is simply inexperience at the pro level. they don't know the playbook. they don't know what to do one play to the next and it's hindering the entire the flow of the offense, taking away options and generally the entire offense. it would explain why they kept tate around as long as they did.

West is a FA in my league and we freeze rosters at kickoff on Sunday. Worth cutting Jerick McKinnon for West since I have Crowell?

West is a FA in my league and we freeze rosters at kickoff on Sunday. Worth cutting Jerick McKinnon for West since I have Crowell?
I say yes. McKinnon isn't likely startable for the rest of the year with Asiata and Tate (and maybe AP?) in the mix. West has a ceiling of a strong rb2 if crowell doesn't play... mckinnon's ceiling seems to be much lower.

Definitely some handcuff value to West. Have you looked at Minnesota's schedule? Brutal.
West's status isn't clear.

-------------------------------

Sigmund Bloom retweeted

Vic Travagliante @Trav923 · 18h 18 hours ago
Pettine said RB Terrance West had a good week of practice...however he noted there is a chance he doesn't suit up on Sunday

0 replies 13 retweets 5 favorites

-------------------------------

My bad on potential severity of Isaiah Crowell's injury because hips can linger so check Sig's Sunday morning pod tomorrow with Dr. Jene who will give injury updates prior to kickoff.

I've mentioned Browns RB Glenn Winston numerous times over the months for a reason, the club really likes him.

Don't overlook this kid.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/cleveland_browns_running_back_35.html

Cleveland Browns running back Glenn Winston: 'I'm looking to let the chains off the beast'
By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
The Plain DealerFollow on Twitter

on December 05, 2014 at 5:56 PM

BEREA, Ohio -- It's been more than a year since Browns rookie running back Glenn Winston has carried the ball in a game that counts, and he's practically bursting out of his shoulder pads.

"I'm just looking to let the chains off the beast, that's all,'' he said.

With Isaiah Crowell questionable with his hip injury and Terrance West working his way back into the coaches' good graces after that costly fumble last week in Buffalo, Winston might get his first opportunity to tote the football Sunday against the Colts.

"I got more reps this week than I've gotten the whole season, so hopefully,'' he said. "Last week I was probably getting like one rep each period, so it's been maybe three to four with the (first-reamers), so obviously that's pretty good.'

And if he does get the ball in his hands?

"Lights, camera, action,'' he said.

Coach Mike Pettine hinted Friday that he's considering sitting West down because he's been careless with the football, but quickly reversed field. If he does bench West -- for the second time this season -- newcomer Shaun Draughn would be active. Draughn, signed this week, took reps with the regular offense and has an outside shot to replace West on the 53-man roster.

"There's a chance,'' said Pettine. "(West) had a good week though. He took ownership of it. I think he realized that the impact that that play had, and you could tell. He was very much accountable for it."

Winston, who was kicked off the Michigan State football teammate for two fights that landed him in jail and ended up at Northwood University in Midland, Mich., is hungrier than most after going undrafted out of college.

"They'll find a true competitor, a teammate, one of the best teammates on this team -- a good athlete that's just been slept on,'' he said. "I would say that I'm physical. Faster than people realize and a better blocker than most. Just a competitor.''

Hands out of the backfield?

"Oh yea, I feel like I've got the best hands on the team,'' he said.

Wait, haven't we heard that somewhere before? Better than safety Tashaun Gipson?

"Better than everybody,'' he said.

At 6-2, 220, Winston looks ready to punish defenders with his rock-solid frame.

"I feel like me and Crowell have sort of the same style,'' he said. "I feel like I've got more speed downfield than he does. He's probably a little bit quicker than I am. But I feel like we've got the same style.''

And West?

"He's probably a little more shifty than I am, but like I said, I'm more of a downhill-type of guy with better speed,'' he said.

Does he pity the guy who has to tackle him the first time out?

"That's the name of the game, man. Just bring your helmet, that's all.

The game is more than a chance for Winston to help the Browns get to the playoffs, which is his first priority.

"It's an opportunity to show what I can do, what (the other teams) missed out on and I'm motivated.''

In regards to his ball security, which is a huge point of emphasis this week, Winston swears it's a strength.

"I pride myself on holding onto to the ball,'' said Winston. " It's a religion. It's a mindset. Just run hard and fly.

His arm bears a "Chosen One'' tattoo, but he swears it has nothing to do with LeBron James.

"I got this when I was going through my little off-the-field situation to always stay motivated and remember you're the chosen one,'' he said. " You know that and later on they all will know it.''

As for West, he spent all week working on protecting the football and is eager for another chance.

"It was just one mistake and I learned from it,'' he said. "I know what I did wrong. I fumbled the ball. I messed up. I had the ball in the wrong arm, on the wrong side and it was a good play by the defense.''

He's hoping it doesn't cost him playing time, but "it is what it is. I was out there running with the one this week. When my number gets called again, I've just got to bounce back from it.''

He noted, "the greatest players ever to play the game fumbled the ball, Adrian Peterson, Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk. You just can't let it be consistent mistakes.''

In the meantime, he knows that the chiseled Winston is ready for his chance.

"He's aggressive, he's got speed, good vision,'' said West. "His time is going to come.''

Good one, thanks for the link.

Geez these Petine quotes reek of indecision. Thank god the owner I'm playing is not a shark, he'd probably have grabbed West or Winston by now.

if i heard it correctly in this podcast, the issue with West and Crowell is simply inexperience at the pro level. they don't know the playbook. they don't know what to do one play to the next and it's hindering the entire the flow of the offense, taking away options and generally the entire offense. it would explain why they kept tate around as long as they did.
Well both of the guys on that pod were/are former employees of the Cleveland Browns. Both of them got their positions when they were young and full of themselves and they were A-holes and they both fess up to it and own it. Both got too full of themselves and lost their jobs and regret it but now they know and they see their own personal flaws when they were younger and full of themselves in some of the young pro players that they deal with and they try to mentor them just as Andre Knott relayed when he tried to take SS T.J. Ward under his wing a few years ago but was kinda rebuffed.

This pod is raw and real. Both of these guys also do the vanilla main-steam/lame-stream type of media schitck so hearing a pod like this where they just lay it out there is refreshing to say the least and I think it provides better insights in 45 minutes than you can read in 45 full length stories because they don't hold back.

So per you comment I'd substitute IMMATURITY for INEXPERIENCE because from what I get from the pod is that both of the rookie RBs are immature and the symptom of that are the mistakes they make on the field where if they were mature and acted like pros they would prepare better and would not make those sorts of mistakes. Honest mistakes of the inexperienced are one thing but what Zac Jackson and Andre Knott are talking about is something else entirely and don't forget.

RB Terrance West has already been a healthy scratch earlier in the year by Pettine for not practicing correctly during the week and RB Ben Tate got cut because he sulked about his carries. Its about the culture Pettine is instilling and young guys not getting it, yet.

Which Browns RB plays most/best in passing situations. There's a decent chance they get down big to the Colts and are forced to go pass-happy.

Which Browns RB plays most/best in passing situations. There's a decent chance they get down big to the Colts and are forced to go pass-happy.
Both Crowell and West can catch with success. It comes down to pass protection, I think. Though if you ask Pettine, it may come to who has a hotter hand.

On the 32 person spectrum of NFL Head Coaches, Pettine is relatively forthcoming. Not saying much, but more than most.

CLE RBs have not been heavily involved in the passing game all year. Through 12 games: 32 targets, 24 rec, 170- something yards. 4 catches would be a milestone.

If West is inactive tomorrow (which has been mentioned), I would think Crowell would be considered healthy and in for 20-25 carries.

The general lack of info on Crow's injury leads me to believe it was just some rest days, because they know he has to carry a bigger load this week. I can't believe they would deactivate West, but stranger things have happened this year in this backfield.

I guess everyone will just have to watch Tony Grossi on twitter, he is usually spot on a few hours before the game.

If West is inactive tomorrow (which has been mentioned), I would think Crowell would be considered healthy and in for 20-25 carries.
I can't see that many carries even if west is deactivated. Browns will be throwing in the second half.

The general lack of info on Crow's injury leads me to believe it was just some rest days, because they know he has to carry a bigger load this week. I can't believe they would deactivate West, but stranger things have happened this year in this backfield.

I guess everyone will just have to watch Tony Grossi on twitter, he is usually spot on a few hours before the game.
I would agree if he practiced fully on Friday. Off middle week, practice Friday seems to be the larger NFL pattern for resting guys.

I'm also worried by the Questionable tag. I think it shows Crowell and the staff possibly aren't on the same page. He's saying publicly he's ready to go while they're grouping him with their always-concussed tight end on the injury report.

Unfortunately, I think Bramel's write-up today is about as accurate as we can get. He probably plays but there is some decent risk of reduced workload/aggravation.

Anybody know how Crowell did playing through injuries in college?

Rotoworld reporting Crowell expected to play. I doubt we'll know just how much of the load he'll carry until the game is in full swing

I would agree if he practiced fully on Friday. Off middle week, practice Friday seems to be the larger NFL pattern for resting guys.

I'm also worried by the Questionable tag. I think it shows Crowell and the staff possibly aren't on the same page. He's saying publicly he's ready to go while they're grouping him with their always-concussed tight end on the injury report.

Unfortunately, I think Bramel's write-up today is about as accurate as we can get. He probably plays but there is some decent risk of reduced workload/aggravation.

Poorly. He was thought to be a wimp at UGA.

I would agree if he practiced fully on Friday. Off middle week, practice Friday seems to be the larger NFL pattern for resting guys.I'm also worried by the Questionable tag. I think it shows Crowell and the staff possibly aren't on the same page. He's saying publicly he's ready to go while they're grouping him with their always-concussed tight end on the injury report.

From what I heard, he had a dislocated elbow and still kicked the #### out of d-bags that called him a wimp at UGA.

Now wondering if I should just slide Herron in as my #2 back and flex Jarvis Landry, sitting Crow in hopes I advance to Rd 2.

I have to play him since I have Ellington too. If Crowell's out I'll have to play Stepfan Taylor. Ouch.

For all we know Crowell could blow up. I'm just warning myself that there's more risk than usual.

I would agree if he practiced fully on Friday. Off middle week, practice Friday seems to be the larger NFL pattern for resting guys.I'm also worried by the Questionable tag. I think it shows Crowell and the staff possibly aren't on the same page. He's saying publicly he's ready to go while they're grouping him with their always-concussed tight end on the injury report.

From what I heard, he had a dislocated elbow and still kicked the #### out of d-bags that called him a wimp at UGA.
LMAO! Yeah, right. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread