What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Incoherent WR thread with an aim towards the 5th-10th rounds. (1 Viewer)

Mr Non Sequitur

Footballguy
Arguing over the early 3-4 rounds I find to be a waste of time these days. Inevitably you are stepping on dynasty toes and then something never discussed is the fact even though you might feel Player A in the 1st round is a bust, he's going in the 1st round because a certain % of owners believe in that guy hence the 1st round ADP.

I find however once you drift past the first 2-3 rounds that most owners start to become a little more open minded about who they want or are willing to take hence the reason so many busts and reaches start to kick in about round 5 when the blue chip draftees are drying up.

So I thought rather than debate endlessly on some of the bigger names that we could analyze the guys in these round 5-10 or higher. I'm convinced it typically is not the gem in the 1st or 2nd that makes winning the leagues easier but it's the surprise guy. Kurt Warner in '99, Josh Gordon in '13, and all the ones between A and B there. I am going to gloss over QBs available because in most mocks I see about 17 QBs I can live with and my only plan is should I wait and be the 12th team to take a QB, typically I am the 1st or 2nd to grab a QB2 and many of you are the same. TE is fairly deep after you whiff on Graham and maybe 1-2 others. So the focus here is going to be WR and RB fyi, heavy emphasis on WRs who many are looking at as WR2/3/4 types.

So here goes one completely incoherent thread devoted to what I feel is the potatoes to accompany the meat from your 1st 3-4 picks. There are a lot of players I do not like or are not that interested in once we hit about round 5 and I'll go over most of the players available in these rounds. As always i will use the ADP on FBG which you can access for free right now I think.

I will list the ADP 1st, then the player, then the number at that position off the board. You'll understand as we roll along here.

5th-6th

WR

49-Roddy White 21

50-DeSean Jackson 22

59-Michael Floyd 23

63-TY Hilton 24

64-Torrey Smith 25

70-Jeremy Maclin 26

72-Julian Edleman 27

73-Mike Wallace 28

These 8 WRs are most likely to be taken right now in PPR in the early 5th to late 6th, these are the WRs who you will need to make an evaluation on. I am going to rank them in the order I prefer and talk about them a little bit, then I'll mention the RBs you will need to either pass on or possibly select over one of these guys. Also I think it worth noting that these 4 WRs go right before White and are worth mentioning for reference, these include 42-Crabtree 17, 45-Harvin 18, 47-Welker 19, 48-C.Patterson 20.

I would rank these 8 WRs in the following order.

1-Roddy White: He makes an interesting find at this point in the draft. White from 2010-2012 avg 102/1,350/8TDs...he was hurt last year and seemed like he missed the whole season. He tried to play hurt because he is a professional and a warrior. When he finally did come back 100% from the injury he put up reception totals in 4 of the last 5 games...10/143, 8/74, 12/140/TD, 8/91/TD...you are either blind or really obtuse to not see this. I understand he turns 33 in November but Atlanta is going to be better on defense, will be on the field more this year on offense, their running game is so so right now, but it's bombs away with Jones and White, no stud TE this year. I think White is free money at the 5.1 and I would scoop him up in every league at that price. Terrible 2013 makes for a nice bargain in 2014.

2-Michael Floyd: Hardly anyone in my local leagues seems to know who the guy is. 1,000+ receiving yards last year but seems like he did not get a lot of press and I have to think there is room for improvement here. Also has a nice WR opposite him to draw coverage away, year 3, if he takes another step forward he will be top 15. As the 23rd WR off the board I like his upside. He definitely is a slight leap but his numbers improved upon a decent rookie season, he looks like the goods even if he is not a top5 type prospect.

3-DeSean Jackson: I like him a lot but I also know how difficult it is to get timing down year 1 with a new QB who already like Garcon a lot and might look at him 1st since he is familiar with him. jackson is going to stretch the field and were I to guess you will end up with some big big weeks and potentially some real bagels. Some defenses are going to make him the guy they want to shut down, others will realize they can't leave Garcon free to roam around either. Skins are quickly becoming my dark horse for the NFC East, I expect Jackson to be a solid WR3 with some WR2 upside.

4-Julian Edleman: I don't really like him but the Pats are going to roll with him being a decent chunk of the offense. 100+ receptions again is not out of the question but healthy Gronk and Vereen should lower him just a bit. Of course a typical injury on this offense and suddenly he is catching 100 balls again. Brady and BB don't care who catches it or if it's pretty, they just want to move the sticks. He's a decent option if you didn't grab WRs early in the 1st few rounds but I would not want this guy trying to fill my WR1 role on the team. Most are not drafting him for those reasons but I also feel like folks feel they are getting Welker 2009/10 here. Not sure that is the case.

5-TY Hilton: I like him plenty but there is a ceiling to his production. He was the only healthy WR it seemed the 2nd half of the season, he was good but nothing shocking. I like him in best ball more than having to wheel him out every week as a potential WR2.

6-Torrey Smith: 68/1128, that is what most owners would like but he only managed 4 TDs or half of his production from 2012. he's solid but not sexy. If you just need a steady 10-15 a week. He typically has a nice week about once every 3-4 games, he also will have bad gam in the bunch and 2 other games where he shows up but nothing special. He is not going to win many games for FF owners.

7-Jeremy Maclin: I understand he is back form injury, playing the WR1 role here, but what I have seen so far in the NFL is just an average NFL WR. I don't see Maclin being a dominate WR in this league. I rarely say this but I am more optimistic about the rookie Mathews halfway thru the season than I am hitching my wagon to Maclin. I personally will not be drafting him but I am sure some find him appealing.

8-Mike Wallace: Injuries are keeping him out in camp while Javon Landry is making everyone turn their heads. Wallace need to get his timing down with THill, form what I have been reading they still miss an awful lot on the long ball. I like Wallace at a point in the draft, late 6th/early 7th is not bad but I also am not sure much has changed since last season for him.

List of RBs who are likely to be drafted around here.

Shane Vereen

Chris Johnson

Ben Tate

TRich

Gore

R.Jennings

Ray Rice

J.Bell

S.Ridley

From that list I would seriously consider Johnson and Rice, Ridley probably 3rd on that list but that's me. I would take White before the RBs but after that I feel i can find other WRs in the next 304 rounds where I would not lose a lot from the likes of say TY Hilton or Torrey Smith, just no reason to reach for those guys. RBs unfortunately start to fall off a cliff faster IMO. So it's not just taking that WR in the 5th but also the RBs you lose out on and what choices that brings in the next few rounds.

I feel like you have to evaluate the group as a whole. Find your comfort level and it makes the draft a lot smoother when i have a good idea who i am looking for. I also am not afraid after about the 3rd round to start getting ahead of the runs and I will grab guys a round or two earlier than their ADP. You can use the ADP to your advantage if you are not afraid to pull the trigger. No one scolded anyone for taking Antonio Brown in the 6th last season instead of the 7th at the end of last year. If you have done your homework and you feel comfortable with your own evaluations, then for goodness sake don't allow what some internet web sites or even mags tell you when you should select a player.

7th-8th

76-Emmanuel Sanders 29

77-K.Wright 30

79 M.Colston 31

81-Sammy Watkins 32

83-Eric Decker 33

86-Terrence Williams 34

88-Golden Tate 35

95-Reggie Wayne 36

Interesting group of receivers and I would rank them a little different than their ADP, also feel a couple of these guys are being slightly overlooked. If you waited at WR for whatever reason and are looking at guys in the 30-35 range for your WR2/3 slots then this group is important to you. I see a couple WRs in here that have a lot of upside and others that look like a reach or recipe for possible disaster.

1. Terrance Williams: Hear me out. Good solid rookie year, pushed an oft injured vet WR out the door, 44/750/5TD. Here is the big reasons I like him this year...the offense is going to need to score 35 a week minimum. That defense was bottom barrel last season and they lost Ware, Lee(injury again), the rookie is out, Claiborne is hurt, they are catching the injury bug early on a team that was thin to begin with. Other side however the offense has what is being projected as a top 5 OL with sturdy tackles to set up the passing game. All the balls can't go to Dez and the WR3/4 slots on this team are lacking right now. i think Williams can easily post up 1,000/8TD in this offense and also seeing the easier of the coverage, he should be open a lot. I liked him coming out of college more than most, good offense, he will catch a lot of balls.

2. Marques Colston: before last season I always defended this guy and still enjoy attaching him play but the reality is he misses a lot of games. He has missed 22 starts in 4 seasons, or about 4-5 games a year, some better than others. He can hit 1,000-1,100 but not much more it seems with the injuries. I have always been a fan but the upside is not there. Now if you were the guy that took Dez/Marshall in the 1st/2nd, it's the middle of the 7th and you need a solid option for WR3 most weeks, take Colston and you'll be fine with another solid option at WR4. But if you went Graham or QB early and then loaded up at RB and for some reason only have 1 or even 2 WRs but nothing dominant, I might pass on Colston and look for another one of these guys for some upside and then take another steady guy later like Boldin you can find in the 10th/11th and probably get similar numbers.

3. Emmanuel Sanders: I put him here simply due to the QB and offense. He could easily catch 65-70 balls in this offense. he seems focused, had a solid camp, but there is risk and he doesn't have the solid track history of many around him but you cannot deny the pop there. What if Welker gets hurt for a few weeks? Sanders has a lot of value but I would like him better in best ball, also feel he is best as part of a combo at WR3/4 so if you take Sanders I would also think about another WR in the 1-2 rounds to platoon with him since we don't really know what he will do just yet.

4. Kendall Wright: I'm just not excited about a guy who is roughly just 10 yards a catch. he must catch a lot of balls to make any headway and i also feel Justin hunter will at some point surpass him as option 1. I'm not real high on the guy and don't want to argue about it, if you like him more than I do then great. Out of respect for his 2013, i rank him here, but reality is I would not draft him around here.

5. Golden Tate: I like him but understand he is not Option 1 or really Option 2. I feel like Calvin and the RBs are the first options. I expect Tate to look good and I also would like to draft him in a few leagues but I think he is best as a WR3/4 type. Best Ball make me like him better or even a lot more as I feel his 5-6 big games will be hard to predict. But I like him and i like the Lions' offense.

6. Reggie Wayne: Old, torn ACL last year, will be back in the cuts, will be decent value for some, I just am not eager to draft him but you could do worse at WR3 in the late 8th round. I'm rooting for him.

7. Eric Decker: Not 1 NY jets WR has amassed 1,000 yards under Rex Ryan, pass for me.

8. Sammy Watkins: I don't do many rookies and last night's preseason game only re-enforces some of the reasons I downgraded Watkins to being with. Let someone else enjoy this headache every week about whether to play him or not. Forge dynasty, REDRAFT 2014 i just don't see it yet.

Here is a list of the RBs who get routinely drafted in here.

Steven Jackson

Pierre Thomas

MJD

Lamar Miller

Moreno...he is falling like a rock

Sproles

Woodhead

Of these guys I am intrigued with Miller but I expect him to rise into the 5th-6th range soon and other guys to drift down into this range.

9th-10th

99-Mike Evans 37

102-D.Bowe 38

104-R.Cooper 39

108-Brandin Cooks 40

109-D.Hopkins 41

111-T.Austin 42

113-H.Nicks 43

115-Cecil Shorts the 3rd 44

120 A.Boldin 45

I am going to turn this last set over the board. The 9th-10th round you have guys who have impressive resumes like a Dwayne Bowe but has not produced well as of late, you have hot rookies like Cooks who is tearing camp up but will NO throw to him when the season starts? Can H.Nicks get enough targets in Indy to be relevant again in FF? Will owners continue to ignore Anquan Boldin despite the fact he will never leave the field on offense IMO BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE he blocks in the run game like a MoFo. I know SF has loaded up with new receivers and weapons but they still love to run the ball behind this OL and Boldin might not be sexy but I imagine he will continue to produce despite many owners wanting him not to.

Hopkins in that offense with those QBs? Cooper repeat his numbers? Why is Austin in this group, seems more like a flyer type as Britt is winning the camp reports.

What have you got to say? Thanks for your help.

Of the 5th round list, I like Roddy a lot. Atlanta will be playing catchup and a healthy Julio across from him resets a high and steady WR2 floor for Roddy. Can’t complain about that in the 5th round. After that, Hilton looks intriguing. Too much talent and not a lot of established competition behind him to put him through that botched timeshare he had with DHB last season. All the others on this list look too boom/bust for my taste in the 5th, especially with the RB list you mentioned available.

In the 7th/8th round, I can’t believe Manny Sanders is still on the board. I’d take him in the 5th or 6th. He’s got a WR2 floor with WR1 upside. No way his ADP says he’s that low. I can’t believe it. The other guy that I like a lot is Reggie Wayne who looks like he was never injured. He should easily outpace nominal returns on a 7th/8th round pick. Terrence Williams also would be a consideration there.

Round 9/10, I’ve never been a Bowe fan, but I can’t imagine him not at least being a steady WR3. Cooks is the upside guy I’d take if my starting WR corps were already set.

I recently did a "fake" draft via Yahoo, because they sometimes offer some type of recognition for completing various things. The practice draft was part of x amt step program to get ready for your League. Im sure you can see some questionable moves LOL ie. My WR2 (Marvin Jones) isn't even practicing afaik

I dunno why but I was able to land Charles w the 5th pick!

Nelson was chosen because I suspect most would value over Cobb etc.

Matthews was questionable, but I believed closest to best available RB

Patterson (yeah you may notice this gets awful close to my dynasty team)

Alright here we go:

5th J Cameron Defense sounds tough plenty of offense

6th SF Def I cant say Im coming to wreck your world w/o leaving some value on the board

7th Kaep If the D is rockin, ya know my QB is on his game

8th Dalton Don't follow my lead to take a QB? I will take my backup/matchup/bye QB

9th Marvin If Dalton gets to rockin I get paid

10th B Cooks Is Colston down, I dunno but I cut him expecting a player like Cooks to be drafted

11th Tre This is for one Season He says wrist is no issue fair enough

12 M Ingram Bad ju ju I own the WR and the RB (unless you don't own the QB) I could be wrong on this one

13) Greg the leg

14th Tampa Two featuring Lovie Smith's potentially a Bears Def only younger?

15th Ebron It might get ugly in clev w/o Josh Think its safe to say Det will pass the ball

I got to add that I missed on a few players because I was wanting the value. ( like pick before mine once or twice even)

Barring higher-ranked guys slipping, I am not targeting WR's AT ALL in that 5th-6th round group. That part of the draft is really rich in both RB and QB this year, while the WR's from earlier seem leaps-and-bounds better, yet the WR's from after seem to have AT LEAST as much certainty and/or upside.

I prefer Colston/Sanders/Wayne at their prices to anybody in that first group, and I'm not 100% certain I don't prefer them straight-up, regardless of cost.

Barring higher-ranked guys slipping, I am not targeting WR's AT ALL in that 5th-6th round group. That part of the draft is really rich in both RB and QB this year, while the WR's from earlier seem leaps-and-bounds better, yet the WR's from after seem to have AT LEAST as much certainty and/or upside.

I prefer Colston/Sanders/Wayne at their prices to anybody in that first group, and I'm not 100% certain I don't prefer them straight-up, regardless of cost.
Interesting take, that certainly might be the outcome of all this discussion.

I've just started getting redraft stuff together, so I'm still in the early stages. On first look, I think figuring out these groups will be the keys to good drafts this year though.

You either need to get your TE very early or very late. You need a RB sometime in the first couple-three rounds, but you don't necessarily need more. QB will make sense at some point, but when? Depends on the draft, just stay flexible. You need one WR before getting to the 5th, but you don't necessarily need more. If you end up starting with a TE, a WR and either two RB's or RB + QB no need to panic...if you get these groupings right.

Agree with the OP and for the reasons you cited on Roddy White, Michael Floyd, Terrance Williams. One (or both) of the first two + Williams could be my guys on all of my teams.

The rest are in the monitoring stage, varying degrees of risk with all of them, which is why they're available where they are. I have preferences right now, but they depend on offensive chemistry (Decker, Wright), health (Wayne and Maclin), expected volume (Tate), and how quickly they may get volume (Sammy, Cooks, Evans). Hoping some questions get answered and their values don't adjust too much in the process.

Good thread.

So far this year, I have seen Maclin going a little later than where you have him, which makes him a great value. I got him in the 7th round of my FPC draft and he went and he went late 6th in my $250 Draft Expert best ball. I think both of those spots are great value, as he went after almost every single one you have in that tier. I'm higher on him than a few of the guys you listed.

His last healthy season, he put up 69/857/7. I could easily see the Chip Kelly effect bumping him up to 80/1,000/8. That's -300 yards and -1 TD from what DJax put up last year, so there is a higher ceiling open to Maclin as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far this year, I have seen Maclin going a little later than where you have him, which makes him a great value. I got him in the 7th round of my FPC draft and he went and he went late 6th in my $250 Draft Expert best ball. I think both of those spots are great value, as he went after almost every single one you have in that tier. I'm higher on him than a few of the guys you listed.

His last healthy season, he put up 69/857/7. I could easily see the Chip Kelly effect bumping him up to 80/1,000/8. That's -300 yards and -1 TD from what DJax put up last year, so there is a higher ceiling open to Maclin as well.
I'm just not impressed. I don't see the upside that others do. He won't torch opposing top notch DBs. Jackson had extra gears to run up the sidelines and gain some separation. I just am not excited about Maclin, no special set of receiving skills there for me. I appreciate your insight and opinion on him, I want to like him but just can't.

Nobody outside of Shady is going to light the world on fire. Chip will exploit the mismatch week to week, half to half, etc. Will Maclin be the beneficiary of the mismatch? Most weeks, I'd say yes, especially early on. Nothing in the way of dominant corner's opposite him until the second half of the schedule and he is set up for a very friendly week 15 + 16 schedule.

Of the guys you mention I like, in no priority/order:

Wright

Williams

Sanders

Maclin

DJax

Wallace

Cooks

[i would throw in Britt with the positive news emerging there].

The only RBs I like you mention are:

Miller

Vereen

[instead of Jennings I would insert Andre Williams]

Last edited by a moderator:
Rounds 5-10 seem to be almost no man's land as this thread starts to roll along. I do like a handful of guys but I can see where the value at QB and TE start to creep into this.

Rounds 1-4 I usually want 3WR/1RB or 2WR/2RB, usually do not take a QB except if Brees falls far into the later 3rd round/early 4th, not sure I could pass on him at that point. Round 5-10, it would seem like half of those rounds you should be looking at QB and TE, grab a WR3 and maybe an RB3 before they dry up and then come back to WR in the early double digit rounds to find guy who are not sexy but will be fine WR4/5 types and bye week fillers.

5-6th round. You can't lose as all will provide solid wr3 value. I have my reasons and I like Maclin, Floyd & Wallace in that order and feel all three are undervalued currently.

7-8th round. Decker is the overwhelming choice and a steal if you can pluck him there. All the other wr's in this group and the rb's listed are pure garbage.

Of the guys you mention I like, in no priority/order:

Wright

Williams

Sanders

Maclin

DJax

Wallace

Cooks

[i would throw in Britt with the positive news emerging there].

The only RBs I like you mention are:

Miller

Vereen

[instead of Jennings I would insert Andre Williams]
Britt is one of those guys who you you pick up on a whim, and you either drop him by Week 5, or he turns into a gem that produces for you unexpectedly. He's worth a flier since he's back with Fisher, and he knows he's on a short leash.

Users who are viewing this thread